Does art need ideology?

Tools    

To what extent does ideological belief affect artistic quality?

The question in the title and the question in the post are totally different.

Asking tough questions is cool, but the tougher the question, the more important clarity is if you want to have a meaningful discussion.

Does art need ideology?

It does not.

Sometimes it does, but very often in a negative way, in my opinion. It depends on the artist and the way he/she decides to implement a certain ideology into their art.

Does art need ideology?

It does not.
Agreed that it doesn't need it, but is it possible that an artistic production is created without any sort of ideology (It depends how we define ideology)? By ideology I mean to have a particular idea that you want to vehiculate through your art. I mean, even films that don't want to push anything and to be realistic actually have an ideology in the sense that the end that they wish to reach is to be realistic which is an idea that the artist put in his art. Same for Bunuel and the surrealist who sometime just go on a hunch, there's a purpose behind it. So I don't have an argument as to why it's necessary, but I question myself if it's possible to create art completely devoid of ideaology.

The question in the title and the question in the post are totally different.

Asking tough questions is cool, but the tougher the question, the more important clarity is if you want to have a meaningful discussion.

Actually they're not different.

Agreed that it doesn't need it, but is it possible that an artistic production is created without any sort of ideology (It depends how we define ideology)? By ideology I mean to have a particular idea that you want to vehiculate through your art. I mean, even films that don't want to push anything and to be realistic actually have an ideology in the sense that the end that they wish to reach is to be realistic which is an idea that the artist put in his art. Same for Bunuel and the surrealist who sometime just go on a hunch, there's a purpose behind it. So I don't have an argument as to why it's necessary, but I question myself if it's possible to create art completely devoid of ideaology.

I think that art doesn't need ideology, but relative to cultural context ideology can help make art more powerful.
The Conjuring 2 and Halloween 6 are examples: both are incredibly powerful works of art, but it's debatable if a substantial degree of their power needs cultural context.

I personally think TC2 and H6 are more or less powerful free of context. The story of the former may be anti-nationalist, and the latter anti-political right, but even detached from that understanding TC2 and H6 are brilliant films.

Yes they are.

The first one asks if art needs ideology, or in other word if ideology is a necessary component of art

The second asks how it affects it, it's not the same thing. It doesn't ask about the concept of art itself, what art is (like the first one), it talks about the effects of it.

I guess you could see "l'art pour l'art" as some kind of ideological statement, but I'm not sure what it would mean to the artist or the perceiver. It's not really defined.

When I was talking about 'ideology', I was talking more about a clearly definable and noticable form of 'ideology'.

Yes they are.

The first one asks if art needs ideology, or in other word if ideology is a necessary component of art

The second asks how it affects it, it's not the same thing. It doesn't ask about the concept of art itself, what art is (like the first one), it talks about the effects of it.

Why is it an issue?

I guess you could see "l'art pour l'art" as some kind of ideological statement, but I'm not sure what it would mean to the artist or the perceiver. It's not really defined.

When I was talking about 'ideology', I was talking more about a clearly definable and noticable form of 'ideology'.

What's an example of a famous film that has ideology?

What's an example of a famous film that has ideology?

Again, you are just trying to get the thread to the next page, and have no understanding on the subject. Youre just "saying stuff", I hope this thread gets closed faster than your last one.

Ideological beliefs underline all notions of artistic quality. Ideology is a very general thing and apparently refers to just the ideas that underlie society.

For instance, the Americans in this forum share certain ideology that I don't and I think that influences a lot in the way they see the world and movies themselves.

Famous ideological film? Miyazaki's Nausicaa, for instance, is heavily ideological and explicitly so in it's adherence to environmentalism. All films are ideological to a degree so all famous films are also ideological.

Welcome to the human race...
I'd say that art does need ideology and that the presence or absence of an ideological standpoint will definitely affect interpretations of any given artwork. If a movie offers no clearly-defined ideological subtext of its own (whether accidentally or deliberate) then the scope for different interpretations increases to the point where it may reflect poorly upon the movie in question. A good example is when people argue that seemingly innocuous movies like Ghostbusters or The Incredibles feature Objectivist overtones regardless of whether or not that subtext was what the creators originally intended. Worse, it could allow for a movie to be criticised for lacking substance - if there's no thought being put into why the movie was made, then why is it really worth watching beyond the most superficial level?