Kevin Smith (how do you feel about him)

Tools    

Clerks II
GRADE: D

And in case of of you K.Smith fanboys were wondering how I grade the rest of his stuff...

1. Dogma
GRADE: B
2. Clerks
GRADE: B-
3. Chasing Amy
GRADE: C+
4. Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back
GRADE: C
5. Jersey Girl
GRADE: C-
6. Mallrats
GRADE: D+
7. Clerks II

OVERALL AVERAGE: C
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I find Kevin Smith to be very, very overrated. He writes nonsense and somehow people find it enjoyable, which is beyond me. He seems to be very lazy and makes half-assed attempts and prays that the audience will enjoy it. He doesn't seem to have any clue how a camera works or how to write an engaging script. Nothing in his films deserve the merit he has received. It seems his humor is growing more and more childish as his movies progress.

Originally Posted by The Taxi Driver
What kind of film do you guys wanna see next from Kevin?
Something I would want to add to my DVD collection not a big fan of his only like Clerks

i love Kevin Smith...hes an amazinf writer and Clerks. has been one of my favourite movies since the first time I watched it. I've seen almost all his movies, all except Jersey Girl because alot of people say it isnt good. One day I'll watch it, just because it's a Kevin Smith movie lol.

I actually like Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back alot...alot of people said it's lame but other then Clerks. this movie made me laugh the most. Will Farrel is hilarious in it.

Clerks II wasnt as great as Clerks. especially since it had alot to live up too but was funny none the less.

i rank the Kevin Smith movies as fallow:

Clerks.
Mallrats
Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back
Clerks II
Chasing Amy
Dogma

i cant put Jersey Girl in the list until i see it

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
If you're as big of a Kevin Smith fan as you say you are, you wouldn't care what other people say and you would watch it regardless. I've seen it, can't say it's his best.

That's just my opinion.

As far as how I feel about Kevin Smith. He's come a long way, from Clerks. He's got a target audience and he does his best (sometimes) to appease that audience. Of course, the audience he started off with in Clerks, has grown up and the same jokes he used in Clerks don't register the same now with that older audience.

I think the only reason why Jersey Girl wasn't received as well, was simply due to the fact that it was a different direction than he normally took. Personally, it wasn't as bad as everyone has made it out to be, but it wasn't great. It had parts to it that could've been better, but again, this was something totally different than Clerks, Mallrats, Chasing Amy, Dogma, Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, and Clerks II.

That's just what I think.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

I think there are two big reasons Jersey Girl was recieved so poorly.

the first is clearly it came out not long after Gigli and most people saw that it had Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez and immediatly making assumptions that it would be as horrible as Gigli turned out and all the publicity from the whole "Benifer" relations reflected poorly on the movie. Kevin has said many times that he truley believes this movie will be alot more popular in 10 years when that whole relationship is forgotten.

The other is that when Kevin made Jay and Bob Strike back not only did he please his fans of his older movie he also recruited alot of new fans who were around the age of 11 and 12. I know this because I was 11 at the time it came out and I have never even heard of him or jay and bob but I loved it because it had curses and sex words and nuthing is cooler than that to a kid at that age. So all this kids who loved it for the dick and fart jokes went into his next film Jersey Girl expecting more of the same childish humor but they were givin a more serious film which I think is alot better than Strike back. I hope one day Jersey Girl gets the recognition I believe it deserves.

Originally Posted by Holden Pike

Clerks II

And in case of of you K.Smith fanboys were wondering how I grade the rest of his stuff...

1. Dogma
2. Clerks
3. Chasing Amy
5. Jersey Girl
6. Mallrats
7. Clerks II

I just think it's funny that a person would rate Kevin Smith's work with a C average, and the top one at a B yet continue to watch all 7 of his movies. I mean if you thought "Clerks" was a B- and "Mallrats" a D+ why did you watch the following 5 films?

Originally Posted by PappaSteve
I just think it's funny that a person would rate Kevin Smith's work with a C average, and the top one at a B yet continue to watch all 7 of his movies. I mean if you thought "Clerks" was a B- and "Mallrats" a D+ why did you watch the following 5 films?
That's why Jesus invented cable television, so we can catch up on mediocre movies we would otherwise not bother to see.

Amen.

That's why Jesus invented cable television, so we can catch up on mediocre movies we would otherwise not bother to see.

Amen.
Well yeah that's true. I've watched many a mediocre movie on cable myself, lol.

I do think Kevin Smith is a little over-rated, but I also really liked Clerks, Mallrats, and Chasing Amy. I could pretty much take it or leave it after that.

That's why Jesus invented cable television
I thought Al Gore invented Cable...oh wait that was the internet...nm.

I'm 50-50 with Smith...

It seems every other film of his I love and every other film of his I can't stand...

e.g. I loved Clerks but coouldn't stand Mallrats... Loved Dogma, couldn't stand Jersey Girl...

A system of cells interlinked
Mr. Smith, you sir, are a pig-eyed sack of ****.

Lighten up. What's a pig-eyed sack o **** anyway?

And, I'm pretty much indifferent to Kevin Smith. I like plenty of stoopid things but I might appreciate stuff like Dogma a little more if it was actually edgy rather than fake-edgy. What's weird is that the fact that probably the fact that I agree with Smith's vague blaze take on christianity (well I actually don't agree with it at all, I'm just not offended by it) might make it even less likeable for me. That sort of thing is good if you agree with him and want to watch a movie that you're glad you agree with, but it's usually pretty safe and not very funny.

1. Dogma
You know, that's the only Kevin Smith film I've watched all of and also own. Interesting.

I love Kevin Smith's movies.
I don't care what anyone says Jersey Girl was a good movie.
Everyone needs to leave Ben Affleck alone, He got some bad press in a bad relationship and the whole world hates him.
Back to Kevin he's brillant in a funny sort of way.

I could start and go on for days in regards to Kevin Smith. He is one my top three filmmaking influences of all time. He is the most down to earth, witty, and pop culture savy writer/director of this generation. A strangely wonderful sense of comfort washes over you when watching any of his films. They are all relatable. Most of his characters are people we have known or reflect our own personalities in some way. Kevin is a conforming non conformist if that makes any sense. He adheres to several Hollywood conventions, but at the same time breaks away from them. The bottom line is he uses what he needs to make the best film possible, and while all of them may not stimulate intelligent or insightful round table discussions, they all give you something to talk about, and something that will stick with you no matter what. Whether you find yourself trying to analyze the message of Dogma or simply saying to yourself while at work, "I'm not even supposed to be here today." or even if you just occasionally ask, "What's a Neubian?", some piece of Kevin Smith's ideas or sense of humor sticks with you. Once you fall into the View Askew universe, you don't want to leave. When he was told by Universal that it wasn't about making movies with your friends, Smith thought, "Really?" I love that spirit, making films for the love of making films with people who matter to you. I am a forever loyal Kevin Smith fan, and in my eyes, he can do very little wrong. Jersey Girl certainly wasn't the greatest, in fact it finds itself in last place on my favorites list, but it still has enough of the wit and irreverance that make it fun to watch. I am actually traveling to Akron, OH in March to see Kevin's Q&A and I believe it will be one of the best experiences of my life. Here is the order in which I rank Smith's films:

Clerks/Clerks II
Chasing Amy
Dogma
Mallrats
Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back
Jersey Girl

Clerks II

1. Dogma
2. Clerks
3. Chasing Amy
5. Jersey Girl
6. Mallrats
7. Clerks II

I pretty much agree, except I would have given Mallrats a C and everything else under Chasing Amy an F.

Kevin Smith was (note was) a good writer, and a horrid director. Now hes nothing.