donniedarko's: Top 25 Foreign Language Films 1990-Present

→ in
Tools    

#26. Funny Games

With all the lists going on I was inspired to join in on the action. Haven't done one since my incomplete Top 100 back in 2014 (?). Was going to do a best of decade so far, as is the trend, but I thought this random little collection was a bit more interesting. List would be a lot more British and have a handful of Lars Von Trier if it was the other way around. Kind of a lazy list I jotted through, and won't be doing to much writing but hopefully some people can find a new film they'd enjoy through this. I tend to overthink and over plan lists, so figured I'd just have some fun with this little one here. Enjoy and I'd love to here some recommendations! I'm specifically doing foreign language and not just foreign films.

The List:
25. Underground
24. Goodnight Mommy
23. Life is Beautiful
22. All About my Mother
21. The Return
20. Mermaid
19. The Hunt
18. Three Colors: Red
17. Headhunters
16. The Dream of a Ridiculous Man
15. Battle Royale
14. Downfall

Gonna be some good finds in this thread I can feel it.

I mix up the two Funny Games now that it's been a while. I'm planning on revisiting the original soon.

25. Underground
Kusturica, 1995
Former Yugoslavia

An absolutely enchanting nearly 3 hour feature film. Full of black humor but maintains an emotional appeal. The colorful and aggressive Fellini style creates a carnival like effect throughout the film.

24. Goodnight Mommy
Franz & Fiala, 2014
Austria

The most recent release on this list is this extremely eerie and unsettling Austrian thriller- although mainly categorized as a horror. I would best describe this as a mix of The Babadook, The Woman, and Fight Club.

I did not like Goodnight Mommy, but I quite enjoyed Funny Games.

Goodnight Mommy could've been a lot creepier, and I didn't really like the ending, but I still thought it had a few tense moments. I haven't seen the other two films, but they look interesting,

Not seen Goodnight Mommy. Looks interesting, thanks for the recommendation

Came across Funny Games on tv one night in the late 90s, didn't know anything about it so was subsequently shocked by it after the normal life of the beginning. I know it's only 20 years later but it feels like even the real world has nothing left to shock us with now

Didn't see Underground. Looks like a stunning picture, but I've been holding it off a little bit because of its length. I'm sure I'll watch it in the future when there's a good occasion for it, though.

I've seen Goodnight, Mommy and liked that fine. Saw the twist coming from pretty much the beginning, but the film provided enough atmosphere and shocking moments to distract me from it.

Let the night air cool you off
I haven't seen Goodnight Mommy, but I adore Underground. Every time I see somebody post about it, I hop in and mention that my first post here was about that movie.

21. The Return
Zvyagintsev, 2003
Russia

I believe Zvyagintsev will develop into one of the greatest Russian directors of all time and one of the best 21st century. His first feature film about two boys and their trip with their returned absent father is unsettling from the beginning. Even when nothing overtly troubling happens or is said, the whole film just feels troubling and eerie. This resolves with a tragic ending and some under the surface statements on family relations and defense mechanisms. One more to come from Zvyagintsev

20. Mermaid
Melikyan,2007
Russia

You don't know black comedy, until you've seen Russian black comedy

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I believe Zvyagintsev will develop into one of the greatest Russian directors of all time and one of the best 21st century.
No, he won't. His first two movies were glorious masterpieces, but two follow-ups only good movies. He's getting worse and worse.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.