The Expanse

Tools    

The Adventure Starts Here!
Um, she just survived a hard vacuum transfer between ships. The last thing you’re going to do is start messing around with disarming a bomb.

I’m sure her vision is shot. Plus, she has no tools.
But she had enough stamina and tools to keep going back and forth with oxygen/no oxygen MANY times to create that fake/altered message?

Sorry, not buying it. I envision a moment in the writers' room where someone came up with the idea of her altering a message so it reads completely differently, and then they shoehorned it in because it was too cool NOT to use.

I admit, also, that it took Alex and Holden both just TELLING us what the altered message was before I "got" it. It just sounded like a message that kept cutting in and out, until one of them said, "I am... in control." Ohhhhh, NOW I get it!

You ready? You look ready.
@Austruck: Sounds like you’re just being big picky. She has ONE tool. Disarming a bomb that’s rigged to explode is a totally different beast from just controlling your breathing and popping junction boxes open. There’s oxygen in the suit. The problem is CO2 build up. Come on, give it some thought.

@Austruck: Sounds like you’re just being big picky. She has ONE tool. Disarming a bomb that’s rigged to explode is a totally different beast from just controlling your breathing and popping junction boxes open. There’s oxygen in the suit. The problem is CO2 build up. Come on, give it some thought.
This is why I cannot be counted on to watch sci-fi shows properly.

Okay, you win. It's plausible.
But that shifting accent............

@Austruck: No arguments from me about the accents. They are all over the place, but I ain’t got much room to talk. I sound like a thoroughbred hick most of the time so just about everyone sounds like a Harvard English professor to me.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Re: belter accents.
I recently restarted the show and noticed the accents were all over the place. Naomi's in particular. But after reading *McClane's comment on her accent spilling back in this season since rejoining belter society, I could give that the benefit of the doubt, even though her season 1 accent was sci-fi British. For me though, that started to fall apart a bit when Anderson Dawes shows up late in Season 1. His accent, while still not as developed as later seasons, was very acceptable and foreign enough to believe. In comparison, there really was no comparison to Naomi's accent at the time. Still, I was willing to let it go for the reason noted earlier. Once Camina Drummer (the second-in-commandish, deep-voiced woman on Tycho Station) appears, her accent is somewhere between Naomi and Dawes. Compare her then accent to her later accent, and it's a stark contrast IMO.

I don't think I would notice (I don't think I did?) on a first watch, as it was organic in development. As with the acting, story, and effects, I figure actors became more confident in their roles and were willing to push that comfort zone into experimenting more with their language as the show moved forward. On a re-watch, it's pretty obvious and does pull me out a bit.

*Edited for harassment.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Another reason why Naomi’s accent isn’t as hard in the first season is she is working for a company that is owned and operated primarily by Inners. I would imagine it is quite similar to a foreigner taking a job in a different country. To get ahead in that world you gotta adapt.

I don’t think it’s too hard to believe that the belters who don’t have a heavy accent don’t have a heavy accent because of their close connection with Inners (whether it be working with them or trying to establish political credibility). This season we are spending a lot of time with Belter exclusive crews and the accents are heavy because of it.

It doesn’t excuse them being all over the place but it’s certainly a reason to not knock them for it.

And in the case of Dawson (I’m just playing devils advocate because I love this show) I think it’s plausible to say that his accent is only so heavy because he has to establish credibility with the Inners without losing the support of the Belt.

Food for thought.

there. fixed. happy now?
I wasn’t saying it like it was a bad thing. I kinda like it. I can’t tell you how much I hate having to capitalize that second C. It’s too bad my username ain’t Dredd.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I wasn’t saying it like it was a bad thing. I kinda like it. I can’t tell you how much I hate having to capitalize that second C. It’s too bad my username ain’t Dredd.

lol i was teasing
But yeah, that second C always... Always throws me.

You guys can tease all you want, but I'm pretty sure **I** was the one who mentioned Naomi's accent spilling back due to her being back with Belter society.

So, um... yeah, whatever.

And as I also said in the same post, I can totally forgive the changing accents for those plotlines that feasibly explain it, but I'm still pretty sure it's just the actors not being consistent as the series continued.

I think I didn't really get a good handle on what a specifically "Belter" accent was until Drummer showed up, along with Ashford. Their conversations had a rhythm and lilt to them, a cadence, that finally helped me hear a Belter accent. Probably because it wasn't mixed with a British accent.

And seriously... WHY does Bobbie Draper have an Australian accent out of nowhere?

And seriously... WHY does Bobbie Draper have an Australian accent out of nowhere?
Probably because her family immigrated to Mars from Australia/New Zealand generations before. She’s of Polynesian descent in the books, so her family brought the accent with them.

Martians were once Earthers. It’s not that far fetched. I feel like you’re just looking for things to nitpick at this point.

Probably because her family immigrated to Mars from Australia/New Zealand generations before. She’s of Polynesian descent in the books, so her family brought the accent with them.

Martians were once Earthers. It’s not that far fetched. I feel like you’re just looking for things to nitpick at this point.
You do notice all the " " emojis, right? I'm hassling! That's all! Geez, nobody has a sense of humor anymore. <----emoji

@Austruck: My bad. I never really thought of that emoji as kidding, but duly noted.

But here’s an interesting ready about Bobby Draper’s casting for season 2.

https://www.indiewire.com/2017/02/th...ng-1201779336/

Frankie Adams is a beast. I’d totally let her kick my ass.

She’s my second favorite character behind Amos.

@Austruck: My bad. I never really thought of that emoji as kidding, but duly noted.

But here’s an interesting ready about Bobby Draper’s casting for season 2.

https://www.indiewire.com/2017/02/th...ng-1201779336/

Frankie Adams is a beast. I’d totally let her kick my ass.

She’s my second favorite character behind Amos.
AGREED. And I didn't even like her character at first, so she's hopped over a lot of other characters for me. I'd definitely place her up there with Amos as a personal favorite.

Can we agree that Avasarala has gotta stop with the uniformly pitch-black hair, though? Actually, it's still okay when some of it sweeps down over her face, but when it's pulled back severely, it looks like a black helmet.

I may or may not be kidding about that opinion.

Also, I LOVE LOVE LOVE that they didn't cast Draper as some whisper-thin skinny-jeans type. She's got some meat on her bones, and she's a PRESENCE. Just as she has to be. Great casting!

That's a great article. I wondered for a brief moment if she might be from New Zealand, but I have a friend from NZ whose accent isn't QUITE like that, so I was hearing more Australian than NZ. Sorry, Frankie! My bad!

Yeah, I’ve seen some of the photos of her training for the role and she is a force to be reckoned with and she has been my second favorite ever since her first appearance.

I was all in with that character from the start. They couldn’t have done a better job of casting and I’m glad they picked Frankie. But as much as I love her performance it ain’t anywhere close to the love I have for Amos.

A system of cells interlinked
@Sedai... you've read the books then? I have them on my Amazon wishlist now but was going to ask the group if anyone had already read them. Did you start the books before the series came out?
I read 6 of the books, which was the last one available at the time I was reading them. I really do need to get back to the series and read the rest.

RE: Diffusing the bomb - They addressed this. Someone said they had tamper triggers all over the place. I think it was Naomi who said it, but it might have been someone else.

While Amos and Peaches are probably my favorites from the books and the show, I like many of the other characters a whole lot, and think this show is cast really well.

Keon Alexander as Marcos Inaros. I already can't see Marcos being played by anyone else. This guy just slipped into this role and started completely killing it. The perfect blend of charisma and psychosis. He steals ever scene he is in.

Cara Gee as Camina Drummer. I saw an interview with Cara Gee, and she is a sweet, sort of meek person. Drummer is not meek. Drummer is a bad ass. I love the work Gee is doing on the show, and am glad we still get plenty of coverage on her character.

Shohreh Aghdashloo as Christian Avasarala - The snake lady. I recall seeing this actress for the first time in season 4 of 24. In that show, she was a vicious terrorist, and her voice always sort of unnerved me. I am glad the show went to Amazon, as in the books, she swears like a truck driver, and the more adult format on Amazon allows her to portray this on the show. Really great, complex character.

You guys already mentioned Booby, who also kicks ass - too bad her role, as well as Alex's, have been sort of reduced as of late due tot he source material.