Reading Tab

Tools    

Ah, okay, I dig. It sounds really intriguing, but I'm with you on the idea of taking a break between each. I'm going right from Crime and Punishment into World War Z, which isn't really "light," but figures to go down a bit easier.

The dreams were one of my favorite aspects. I believe there was one about a horse; it was pretty powerful. How it related to the story was what I found to be so memorable. The concepts that you already pointed out about nihilism were always interesting, as well.

I read it in high school, then afterwards. However, I don't remember much, but that dream sequence has always stuck with me. This is actually making me want to re-read it, which I just might do....

there's a frog in my snake oil
The Tipping Point

Great little magpie read this. Most everyone's heard of it so I'll just fling out some gems: the 'Paul Revere' who had no effect; newscaster 'micro smiles' possibly influencing elections; number-relation puzzles being a snap when transposed into social settings; the thinking behind NY's zero-tolerance policy; all the stuff on '150' being an optimal group size for people. And on.

He takes on some pretty sprawling territory, so it's no surprise that he's sometimes in danger of over-speculating, but even at his most over-arching he's normally got an apposite example to ground his thoughts.

(-)

World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War
By Max Brooks

The premise is simple: Max Brooks writes an oral history of a fictional zombie war. The book is set after the war is over, and consists of a series of interview transcripts wherein the subjects answer questions about their experiences during the war.

Brooks allegedly did a metric ton of research for this book to ensure its authenticity, and it really shows. He knows that the subject matter screams "fake," so he goes out of his way to make everything seem as plausible as possible. The outbreak is insane, of course, but the reaction and everything else surrounding it is so well thought-out that it hardly seems to matter. Readers willing to suspend their disbelief a little about the premise will be rewarded with an incredibly thoughtful audit of society that takes its core idea as seriously as can be.

In Watchmen (the graphic novel, not the film), there are nice little touches about the ripple effects of its fiction. My favorite is probably that comic books in that world are about pirates and cowboys, since there'd be no point in writing much fantasy about superheroes when they exist in reality. World War Z feels like that. It takes the real world and merely inserts an event, and then tracks the changes this might produce. Some of the betters ones are the observation that closed/totalitarian societies weather the storm better than freer ones, and that black market organ trafficking makes it especially difficult to contain the outbreak.

It's maybe a tad too cynical in its claims about how such a force would eventually be stopped, or just how incompetent and asleep at the wheel our leaders might be, but thankfully we'll never find out on this scale. It never feels like it has much of an agenda beyond a vague contempt for the inability of large organizations, governments, military forces, etc., to adapt to changing circumstances.

Brooks also manages to do something that eludes many fine authors: he makes the disparate characters he interviews sound reasonably distinct. Granted, they're all too eloquent and most come up with some interesting turns of phrase, but this is forgivable in the name of better writing, and one could posit that Brooks would only allow eloquent testimonials into such a book, anyway.

The book makes some bold choices about format, too, beyond the obvious risk of telling an entire story from interview transcripts. What's gutsiest (forgive the pun) is that there are so many of them, very few subjects are revisited, and some only last a few pages. Others go as high as 20 or so, but most fall in the 7-10 range. This is sometimes good (less interesting testimonials don't go on as long, as each section always feels fresh), and sometimes bad (good sections are sometimes far too short, and you never build up much momentum or attachment to individuals). All in all, the format works more often than it doesn't, and it's necessary to give the story the scope and realism it needs.

The Tipping Point

Great little magpie read this. Most everyone's heard of it so I'll just fling out some gems: the 'Paul Revere' who had no effect; newscaster 'micro smiles' possibly influencing elections; number-relation puzzles being a snap when transposed into social settings; the thinking behind NY's zero-tolerance policy; all the stuff on '150' being an optimal group size for people. And on.

He takes on some pretty sprawling territory, so it's no surprise that he's sometimes in danger of over-speculating, but even at his most over-arching he's normally got an apposite example to ground his thoughts.

(-)
Aye, I think my Dad gave me this sucker a good 8 years ago, I'd say, and I loved it. I agree with both the good and the bad you mention above. It has a solid premise at its core, even if some of the examples are a stretch, and if nothing else the observations are enough to drive home just how insanely vast and impenetrable real truth can be. We all know the world's a complex place, but it's awfully daunting to see how unpredictable even the smallest of things can be. Reading this book is a humbling experience for anyone who likes to think they've got it all figured out.

His follow-up, Blink, wasn't bad, but had more of the bad stuff about The Tipping Point and less of its good stuff. In retrospect, what I appreciate most about The Tipping Point was 1) overall, the mainstream introduction it gave to the importance of seemingly minute factors and non-standard forms of cultural analysis and 2) writing-wise, the fact that its core idea held together and the book as a whole was more cohesive than his other works.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Yoda, did you BUY World Word Z? Did you want to? I thought I was going to lend it to you! It's sitting right here for the next time I saw you. Oops! Too late, I see! I'll put it back!

Remember, feel free to ask me if I have a book before you buy it (unless you want a copy)....

I knew you had a copy, but it was looking like it was going to be a couple of weeks before we'd have figure that out, and I thought Courtney might end up wanting to read it, too. I think it ended up being like $8, so I figured I'd rather just own it. No big deal.

Reading The Road now, however, so you should have that back fairly soon. Though Courtney might want to read that one, too. She's diving into Crime and Punishment as well, now. I think she likes reading some of the same things so we can talk about them.

Tom Piccirilli: A Choir of Ill Children

Decent Southern Gothic Horror, much of which is comic more for its details than the consistent horror-creeping-tragedy. Such as a bar where, whenever it rains, several dead drunks invariably wind up floating around in puddles in the parking lot. It's alright.

Anarchist within reason
Just finished The Wolves of the Calla from Stephen Kings Dark Tower series and now I'm waiting for my local Waterstones to get copies of the last two books, Songs of Susanna and The Dark Tower.

I'm such a big fan of these books
If at his council I should turn aside, Into that ominous tract which all agree, Hides the Dark Tower. Yet aquiescingly I did turn as he pointed, neither pride nor hope at the end descried, so much as gladness that some end might be.

Robert Browning 'Childe Roland to The Dark Tower Came'

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
My 2 favorite books are The Godfather and Brideshead Revisited.

I can turn to any page at any time and just start up from there.

It's all in the reflexes.
World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War
By Max Brooks

The premise is simple: Max Brooks writes an oral history of a fictional zombie war. The book is set after the war is over, and consists of a series of interview transcripts wherein the subjects answer questions about their experiences during the war.

Brooks allegedly did a metric ton of research for this book to ensure its authenticity, and it really shows. He knows that the subject matter screams "fake," so he goes out of his way to make everything seem as plausible as possible. The outbreak is insane, of course, but the reaction and everything else surrounding it is so well thought-out that it hardly seems to matter. Readers willing to suspend their disbelief a little about the premise will be rewarded with an incredibly thoughtful audit of society that takes its core idea as seriously as can be.

In Watchmen (the graphic novel, not the film), there are nice little touches about the ripple effects of its fiction. My favorite is probably that comic books in that world are about pirates and cowboys, since there'd be no point in writing much fantasy about superheroes when they exist in reality. World War Z feels like that. It takes the real world and merely inserts an event, and then tracks the changes this might produce. Some of the betters ones are the observation that closed/totalitarian societies weather the storm better than freer ones, and that black market organ trafficking makes it especially difficult to contain the outbreak.

It's maybe a tad too cynical in its claims about how such a force would eventually be stopped, or just how incompetent and asleep at the wheel our leaders might be, but thankfully we'll never find out on this scale. It never feels like it has much of an agenda beyond a vague contempt for the inability of large organizations, governments, military forces, etc., to adapt to changing circumstances.

Brooks also manages to do something that eludes many fine authors: he makes the disparate characters he interviews sound reasonably distinct. Granted, they're all too eloquent and most come up with some interesting turns of phrase, but this is forgivable in the name of better writing, and one could posit that Brooks would only allow eloquent testimonials into such a book, anyway.

The book makes some bold choices about format, too, beyond the obvious risk of telling an entire story from interview transcripts. What's gutsiest (forgive the pun) is that there are so many of them, very few subjects are revisited, and some only last a few pages. Others go as high as 20 or so, but most fall in the 7-10 range. This is sometimes good (less interesting testimonials don't go on as long, as each section always feels fresh), and sometimes bad (good sections are sometimes far too short, and you never build up much momentum or attachment to individuals). All in all, the format works more often than it doesn't, and it's necessary to give the story the scope and realism it needs.

I really enjoyed World War Z too! Have you read The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks? As you said i like how he does a lot of research and takes it really seriously (If thats the right word to use?). A very good zombie book is Plague of the Dead: The Morningstar Strain by Z.A.Recht.

Nah, haven't read that one, though I can't imagine it'd appeal to me quite as much (since the concept is such a big part of what I like about World War Z). Sounds fun, but I'm taking a little zombie-book break for now.

It's all in the reflexes.
Nah, haven't read that one, though I can't imagine it'd appeal to me quite as much (since the concept is such a big part of what I like about World War Z). Sounds fun, but I'm taking a little zombie-book break for now.
Haha fair enough, but when that zombie outbreak starts you'll be saying "Why! why didn't i listen to SammyJ and get that zombie survival guide!!" .......then there'll be me in my room bath tub filled with water staircase taken out, little backpack with canned food, appropriate weapons, ham radio, boarded windows etc. just quietly laughing while hugging my guide...you'll see..o..you'll see..

Reading and re-reading several books right now, I'll post some thoughts on the ones that spring to mind.

The Mysteries of Udolpho
- I'm about a quarter to a third of the way done with this. It's very drippy and sentimental and yearning for romance and adventure. It took about 60 pages introducing characters and setting up several subplots and mysteries. It's about a sensitive heroine who is in love with a very romanticized view of nature and with her sensitive old father (who just died and left her in the care of an insensitive aunt). She has a romantic interest in a dashing soldier who is also sensitive to nature or at least to iconic landscapes both monumental and pastoral. Now we're getting somewhere. So far the "good" people are nice, generous, sensitive, compulsively write or quote long sonnets whenever they spot an affecting scene, and so on. The "bad" people are conspiring to keep the good people apart and they're more into partying and living in cities and being callous (while of course thinking themselves very benevolent) when they get the chance. It may sound like I have a lot of contempt for this book from the above description, but I don't. I'm still reading it, and enjoying it more than The Castle of Otranto so far. But it is very corny.

The Castle of Otranto ~ Horace Walpole -

Damned good read.
Hey, what circumstances brought you to The Castle of Otranto, Iroquois? I'm curious because I just read this also, but I apparently was less impressed with it than you were.

Buy the ticket, take the ride.
I'm currently reading The Great Gatsby for my English course

But I'd much rather be reading Join Me; The true story of a man who started a cult by accident.