The Movie Forums Top 100 Comedies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Have seen so far: 26 – National Lampoon’s Vacation – The movie was ok, not really a fan of NL films and I just find Chevy Chase unfunny, I prefer Will Ferrell over Chase any day.

Rushmore – The movie was okay, I didn’t find a lot of interest in it

Have not seen so far: 22

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

Welcome to the human race...
No votes. I don't think I've seen the original Vacation in full in over 20 years at this point so who knows what I make of it one way or the other - that probably means I should revisit it, but maybe I'm good. Rushmore was the first Wes Anderson I saw so maybe it suffered for making a difficult first impression while I eased into his other works without a problem, but I still think it's solid - meant to run his entire back catalogue in the lead-up to French Dispatch but didn't get around to it. Maybe I still will.

Aaaannndddd here it is, the sole entry in the franchise I've put myself through - National Lampoon's Vacation - really don't get the love for it but to each their own. Yet to see Rushmore but will get round to it at some point when the Gods of Movies permit.

Seen: 25/48

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
National Lampoon's Vacation is funny and forgettable in equal amounts. It's easy to watch and easy to forget.

I'm a little hesitant to even discuss Rushmore because it's a film which most people have seen a few times, so they certainly have strong feelings about it. I watched it again because my daughter had never seen it, except for maybe the final half hour on TV. I feel it's Anderson's best and funniest film, with his best use of soundtrack, his most sympathetic characters, and his cleverest visual ideas, even though his films certainly follow a similar pattern. Rushmore introduced Jason Schwartzman to filmgoers and confirmed Bill Murray's position as an offbeat dramatic actor. It's a bright, fun movie, even when it goes through its darkest passages. In some ways, it reminds me of an inverse of The Graduate, but you already know that I'm weird.

In some ways [Rushmore] reminds me of an inverse of The Graduate, but you already know that I'm weird.
Wes Anderson has said that he and Owen Wilson were both very heavily influenced by The Graduate in their early writing career, and of course admitted to the one overt nod to Mike Nichols' classic at the end of the two pool scenes, with characters isolated from the world and their troubles at the bottom of a blue void (Bloom's isolation broken by a swimming intruder)...

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I remember seeing Rushmore back in the day, and enjoying it, but I haven't gotten back to it. For the record, I've only seen two other Wes Anderson films (Tenenbaums and Mr. Fox), and although I've enjoyed them, his style is not something I gravitate much towards.

National Lampoon's Vacation, on the other hand, has been a favorite since I was a kid. I love all the little jokes, the Ferrari girl, the old cranky aunt, the whole dog scene, Uncle Eddie (before they beat him to death in all the sequels), the conversation between Clark and Rusty in the desert is priceless. The very last act does seem like they weren't sure how to play it, but I still like it. I've seen it once or twice recently and it still makes me laugh. It was my #20.

Seen: 33/48

My ballot:  

Not a fan of Wes's. I've seen five of his films and he does nothing for me. A blind spot, you might say.

"N.L. Vacation" is a damn funny film, but you have only 25 slots.

Voted for neither.

Falling behind again!

Tropic Thunder - It's good. Fun cast. Has some great moments. I haven't seen it for a while though.
Spaceballs - I'm not the biggest fan of later Mel Brooks but it's alright...I mean it's Spaceballs.
Sherlock Jr. - It's a masterpiece.
Ferris Bueller's Day Off - A childhood favourite. Man, Ferris was so cool when we were kids.
National Lampoon's Vacation - Another one we watched when we were younger...despite its rating. Good times.
Rushmore - I think top 3 Wes Anderson. I like his first three films a lot and then it's a game of hit and miss after Tenenbaums.

4. Sherlock, Jr. (1924)
13. South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (1999)
15. Dazed and Confused (1993)
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

And you find that more troubling than the implied incestuous relationship between Randy Quaid and Jane Krakowski?

Yeah that’s not great either. But there is kind of a difference here. The movie wants you to root for our main character. It sets up Clark as a loveable oaf who wants to have a nice vacation with his family, and the humor comes in when things go wrong and he goes to absurd lengths to keep the road trip on track. So that’s why the scene I mentioned in the spoilers feels counterintuitive to that, as opposed to “let’s laugh at the rednecks and their incestuous ways” as insensitive and stereotypical as that is.

I haven;t seen any of the National Lampoon movies yet. But Rushmore was a very interesting story with good characters and some really funny moments. Completely inferior to the Anderson greats, though. 8.5/10

Seen 30/48

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
@edarsenal It looks like your favorite Mean Girls quote is the same as mine. Couldn't get enough of Lizzy Caplan in that movie.
I agree. So was her friend, Damien. I wanted to find a completed gif of him in the Girls' Bathroom and another student tells him he shouldn't be in there and his response to the short dark-haired, girl, "Danny Devito! I LOVE your work!" and chases after her.

Still love National Lampoon's Vacation and I still quote the moose at Wallyworld: "Sorry! A-huh-huh-huh." Still a winner for me, but I prefer Christmas Vacation after seeing it. Didn't make my list but I have another NL movie coming up, I believe.

Rushmore is great and the movie where I first noticed the lovely Olivia Williams (I didn't see her in The Postman until after Rushmore) and Bill Murray and Jason Schwartzman going head-to-head admirably. Love Wes Anderson films and their dry humor.

This one didn't make my list either but another two great entries.

My list:
#4.The In-Laws
#8.Stripes

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

National Lampoon's Vacation (1983)

Rusty Griswold: Mom, my sandwich is all wet.
Ellen Griswold: They're all wet... Oh God!... The dog wet on the picnic basket.

For me, this ranks higher than Christmas Vacation though I do enjoy them both.

Never got into Wes Anderson, tried, but never quite worked, so Rushmore is one I've always skipped.

Watched: 37 out of 48 (77.08%)
1. Kung Fu Hustle (2004) #66
7. What's Up, Doc? (1972) #59
25. Megamind (2010) One Pointer

One Pointers: 18 out of 42 (40.47%)

Rectification List
1. Mean Girls (2004) #67

Boldly going.
Vacation was #15 on my list.
You know Vacation had a bigger impact on me than Chariots of Fire when I hear the "Chariots of Fire" theme song and think of the Griswalds running towards Wally World in slow motion.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Rushmore is great it would have made a top 40 or something like that. I did quite enjoy Vacation, but I prefer Christmas Vacation as well.

Vacation is solid. Would put it up there next to Christmas Vacation, but I'd have to rewatch them to really decide which I prefer.

I think I'd lean towards Vacation at least partially because I find the immediate family drama more relatable than the extended family drama. There also isn't a turkey scene in Vacation. My memories blur a little bit with European Vacation which is also fun but I've seen fewer times.

Rushmore is great but I've only seen it once. I leaned towards nostalgia with my ballot and so I did vote for Vacation. I always quote it whenever I see my wife's GF who spent the night with one of the cast members (shhhh). I torment the hell out of her.

My list-

5. Stripes (#90)
6. The Hangover (#70)
8. Vacation (#54)
9. Fast Times at Ridgemont High (#60)

Okey dokey! Let's go.

Vacation I don't think I have ever seen this all the way through.So its not on my list.

Rushmore Love this. It should have been on my list. Though I think The Grand Budapest Hotel is funnier