The MoFo Top 100 of the 60s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Yay! One of my films was 42! Just like for the Animated List.

101. How the Grinch Stole Christmas (4)
97. Seconds

93. Fail Safe

88. Jungle Book

87. From Russia With Love (11)
86. Blow Up

85. Italian Job (19)
84. Cape Fear

77. The Lion in Winter (3)
72. True Grit (23)
66. In the Heat of the Night (21)
57. Charade

53. A Hard Day's Night (25)
52. The Man who Shot Liberty Valance

51. A Fistful of Dollars

49. Mary Poppins (15)
47. Spartacus (9)
46. Goldfinger

45. Bonnie and Clyde (22)
42. The Haunting (17)
41. Pierrot le Fou

10/25 of my films

20/58 Overall[/quote]

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
The Haunting contains some big scares, mostly from the loud noises that go bump in the night. It didn't need the comedy relief, but I've grown to actually like it more as time passes, and it was already good. Julie Harris is especially great at playing a desperate, needy character who has more power than she thinks. Pierrot le Fou is personally the worst film I've seen on this list so far. Godard le Fou's playfulness makes you want to kill him and his characters after five minutes. Too bad it took 105 more to kill two outta the three. But hey, it's on the list, so don't listen to me. Just be afraid; be very afraid.

My old-fart list appearing so far:

#1 Elmer Gantry
#7 Mary Poppins
#12 Z
#22 Spartacus

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I haven't been around the last week or so, but not surprisingly, most of the movies that made the countdown recently weren't on my list.

These movies were on my list:
Charade was #14 on my list. It's not my favorite Cary Grant movie, and I think he's too old for Audrey Hepburn, but the movie is a terrific movie, and it has a great cast. I'm glad to see that it made the list.

Mary Poppins was #18 on my list. This was one of my favorite movies when I was a kid, and I think it may even be the reason that I'm such a big fan of Dick Van Dyke. The blend of live action and animation, and some great songs, make this movie a pleasure to watch.

The other movies that I considered for my list, but they just didn't make the cut were:
Lolita
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
The Hole / Le Trou
The Haunting

I also saw these movies, but they were never considered for my list:
A Hard Day's Night
Elmer Gantry
Spartacus
Goldfinger
Bonnie and Clyde
Pierrot Le Fou

I thought The Haunting was decent - it had a lot of good parts but I really struggled with the acting. Pierrot Le Fou was very good in a fun with serious undertones kind of way.

Didn't vote for either.

My list:

1. Late Autumn
2. Guess Who's Coming to Dinner
8. The Human Condition III
10. An Autumn Afternoon
13. In the Heat of the Night
17. Red Desert
22. Viridiana
24. Z
25. Fail-Safe

Seen 49 of 60

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
So, Swan, are you saying that I should give the book another chance, too?

So, Swan, are you saying that I should give the book another chance, too?
You should keep reading it until you like it.

Trouble with a capital "T"
I really liked The Haunting, unfortunately I was so tired when I watched it that I nodded off a few times. I guess those 'bumps in the night' weren't enough to awaken me from a deep slumber. So I need to watch it again! It was number 26 on my list...but unlike hand grenades, close doesn't cut it on the Countdown.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I liked The Haunting well enough when I watched it for the Horror HOF. Didn't come close to making my list, but a worthy entry.

Can you please explain why you didn't like The Haunting SilentVamp?
I thought it was boring. But I thought the book was boring. So, I kind of watched it with a negative attitude. Someday I will give it another try (I don't know about the book, though).

Here is an example. I really did not like the book Shoeless Joe. If I'd read that before I saw the movie "Field of Dreams" (which is apparently what it is based on), I probably never would've watched the movie. And "Field of Dreams" is in my top 5 favorite movies.

Basically, it is too bad that I hadn't seen "The Haunting" first because I, maybe, would've had a different opinion from the beginning.

You should keep reading it until you like it.
Alright. How about this? I have a list of books that I want to get through this year. I don't want to add anymore on. But when I start my list for next year (yes, because of Goodreads I have this obsession with reaching a goal every year), I will put that book at the top of my list to read in 2016. Does that sound good?

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Haven't seen Z or The Haunting.

Last Year at Marienbad gave me a headache.

I'm quite surprised Pierrot le Fou made it this high, didn't realise it was so popular. It's better than Breathless (but given what I think of Breathless, that's not exactly high praise). Stylistically it's very good, and I like the ending, and perhaps if I watched it again I might appreciate it more.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
WOO-HOO! Pierrot le Fou made it!!! It's the best Godard movie by far, IMO! I can't really explain why I like it so much but it makes me feel so good! That last dialogue between Pierrot and the man who had a song on his mind for years is one of my favourite scenes of all time.
Pierrot le Fou was my #4!

Didn't see The Haunting yet!

Been really disappointed with the lack of Sam Fuller (1960s his best decade!), but at least he made the list in some capacity.