Survivor Part X: Into the Woods

Tools    

The first Nightmare On Elm Street is absolutely worth watching and it's better than The Witch, haven't seen The Neon Demon. The 3rd one is also alot of fun. The Friday The 13th's are pretty terrible but i thought the fourth one was dumb fun.

Well it could be a couple that some people don't like me because I peeved them off. I can be pretty arrogant sometimes. And I like to bash some movies that lots of people love. Or it could be that they just didn't want to vote off each other. Or maybe they felt threatened by me. It could be any number of reasons. But it's just a game. And I much prefer being able to poke in when I feel like it without having to do the challenges.

The first Nightmare On Elm Street is absolutely worth watching and it's better than The Witch, haven't seen The Neon Demon. The 3rd one is also alot of fun. The Friday The 13th's are pretty terrible but i thought the fourth one was dumb fun.
Well the cinematography and acting were better in The Witch. The atmosphere was better. The music was better. It was more realistic. The dialogue was more meaningful. How much you enjoyed it is not criteria that I can measure.

Well the cinematography and acting were better in The Witch. The atmosphere was better. The music was better. It was more realistic. The dialogue was more meaningful. How much you enjoyed it is not criteria that I can measure.
They were two very different films going for very different things. They weren't trying to recreate the same type of atmosphere or look so i don't think those are directly comparable things. I prefer the atmosphere in Elm Street anyway, i find it alot more sinister when Freddy's story is revealed and i think that's pretty incredible when it wasn't spending absolutely every second of its runtime trying to make things seem evil. It was also very playful throughout, it didn't take itself crushingly serious like The Witch. I don't think you can just run down a checklist and say this this this and this was better therefore this film was better.

There is a lot of attention to composition in The Witch that makes it visually stunning. You can't say that about Nightmare on Elm Street.

The Freddy Nightmare scenes look stunning and in a much more creative way. The Witch is going for an expected foggy old America look, it's not unique to several other pieces of media. I prefer the look of Elm Street:

They were two very different films going for very different things. They weren't trying to recreate the same type of atmosphere or look so i don't think those are directly comparable things. I prefer the atmosphere in Elm Street anyway, i find it alot more sinister when Freddy's story is revealed and i think that's pretty incredible when it wasn't spending absolutely every second of its runtime trying to make things seem evil. It was also very playful throughout, it didn't take itself crushingly serious like The Witch. I don't think you can just run down a checklist and say this this this and this was better therefore this film was better.
But in order to say one thing is better than another you need criteria beyond personal preference. If you like Nightmare on Elm Street more there is nothing wrong with that. With cinema there is a checklist. Cinematography, acting, directing, dialogue, writing, atmosphere, music, story, plot, etc...

The Freddy Nightmare scenes look stunning and in a much more creative way. The Witch is going for an expected foggy old America look, it's not unique to several other pieces of media. I prefer the look of Elm Street:

Nightmare on Elm Street looks good in a few scenes, but The With looks good in every frame.

But in order to say one thing is better than another you need criteria beyond personal preference. If you like Nightmare on Elm Street more there is nothing wrong with that. With cinema there is a checklist. Cinematography, acting, directing, dialogue, writing, atmosphere, music, story, plot, etc...
Not if there's different goals for all of these things. Not to mention it's just as subjective to say you prefer the look or the music or whatever of The Witch as it is to say you prefer Elm Streets. I think Elm Street is a much more unique (for its time) and impressive film. I prefer it as well, sure but i like The Witch alot too.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Nightmare on Elm Street looks good in a few scenes, but The With looks good in every frame.

I have no idea why you were voted out first....

Suspect's Reviews

Every frame of Elm Street looks good too, the difference is that The Witchs setting calls for more beautiful shots. Elm Street feels like more of a complete film since there is scenes in drab police stations and houses while there's loads of empty 'my gosh look at this scenery' scenes in The Witch.

Not if there's different goals for all of these things. Not to mention it's just as subjective to say you prefer the look or the music or whatever of The Witch as it is to say you prefer Elm Streets. I think Elm Street is a much more unique (for its time) and impressive film. I prefer it as well, sure but i like The Witch alot too.
Well, I'm not really in the subjective camp. Quality is by definition measurable. If it isn't measurable, then it isn't quality. If it's subjective, then you are just talking about how you feel about the film.

RUSS THORN
FROM
SLUMBER PARTY MASSACRE

WILL BE YOUR NEW COUNSELOR.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Russ.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	35518  

Well, I'm not really in the subjective camp. Quality is by definition measurable. If it isn't measurable, then it isn't quality. If it's subjective, then you are just talking about how you feel about the film.
Nothing you have said has shown how The Witch is objectively better than Elm Street by any criteria. All i've heard is i think The Witch looks, sounds, etc, much better than Elm Street.

Every frame of Elm Street looks good too, the difference is that The Witchs setting calls for more beautiful shots. Elm Street feels like more of a complete film since there is scenes in drab police stations and houses while there's loads of empty 'my gosh look at this scenery' scenes in The Witch.
I thought a lot of lines in Nightmare on Elm Street were wooden. There were moments that made me cringe. It was a fun film, but I wouldn't want to watch it again.

You have to watch The Neon Demon though. It's bettet than The Witch, directed by Refn, and starring Elle Fanning. It's use of color and imagery had many layers of meaning. I think you'll love it. You should swap something out for it on your October challenge.

But I think Angst is the greatest horror film of all time.

I thought a lot of lines in Nightmare on Elm Street were wooden. There were moments that made me cringe. It was a fun film, but I wouldn't want to watch it again.
I think this is subjective like i was saying, i mean you said "i thought". I think there's sizeable parts of The Witch that don't have much purpose while the whole of Elm Street fits.

You have to watch The Neon Demon though. It's bettet than The Witch, directed by Refn, and starring Elle Fanning. It's use of color and imagery had many layers of meaning. I think you'll love it. You should swap something out for it on your October challenge.

But I think Angst is the greatest horror film of all time.
Definitely will. Angst looks amazing especially.

IN ORDER TO BE A SURVIVOR IN THIS GAME.....

YOU NEED TO BE A KILLER FIRST.

'CAUSE HOW ELSE ARE YOU GONNA TAKE OUT
EVERYBODY WHO WANTS TO HAVE YOUR
SPOTLIGHT AS A SURVIVOR WINNER?

WHAT'S THE SECRET TO BEING A GREAT KILLER?

LOVE YOUR VICTIMS.

LOVE ALL OF THEM.

THERE'S NO REASON TO HATE
SOMEONE YOU KILL.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Russ.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	35519  

There is a lot of attention to composition in The Witch that makes it visually stunning. You can't say that about Nightmare on Elm Street.

Just because a film "looks good" like that..... does not mean it's better.