Lance's Reviews

→ in
Tools    

Thanks Lance, great review, nice pictures also.

A system of cells interlinked
Excellent review.

I will tag all your reviews for the new system, if that's cool with you...

Originally Posted by Sedai
I will tag all your reviews for the new system, if that's cool with you...
Cool as the other side of the pillow...

Murray as Steve Zissou & Dafoe as his companion Klaus
Directed By
Wes Anderson

Written By
Wes Anderson & Noah Baumbach

Starring
Bill Murray, Owen Wilson, Cate Blanchett, Willem Dafoe, Anjelica Huston, Michael Gambon, Bud Cort & Jeff Goldblum as Hennessey

Scored By
Mark Mothersbaugh

Shot By
Robert D. Yeoman

MPAA Rating
R - LANGUAGE, DRUG USE, VIOLENCE & BRIEF NUDITY

Release Date & Runtime
2004 - 119 min

I'm really glad I caught this one one on DVD, but make no mistake about it: This is clearly director Wes Anderson's weakest production. And his first without writing partner Owen Wilson. Still, it's an enjoyable ride and if you like Anderson's quirky/offbeat humor, you should definitely check it out.

Goldblum & Huston
The film follows Steve Zissou (Bill Murray), an internationally known oceanographer who's slowly slipping into obscurity mostly due to his bizzare and unbelievable documentaries. And just as his career is starting to crumble, his longtime partner is eaten by a rare "Jaguar Shark". Determined to avenge his friend's death, Steve calls upon his ever-faithful Team Zissou brethren to track down and kill the vicious fish. But he encounters several bumps in his road to revenge including pirates, a pregnant reporter (Blanchett) whose intentions aren't quite clear, financial struggles & an estranged son from Kentucky (Wilson with a really annoying accent) who only wants the opportunity to call Zissou "dad".

The movie was good, but it was littered with several really boring stretches that became increasingly harder to sit through. It was at its best only when it focused on the humorous and satirical side of Zissou's adventure, rather than the dramatic emotional aspects.

Team Zissou
It's real strength was the fantastic ensemble cast. Bill Murray gives another great performance under Wes Anderson and really captured the spirit of the film. Cate Blanchett, Owen Wilson & Anjelica Huston all do great jobs in support of the flick's showcase star. But Willem Dafoe sets himself apart, stealing every scene he's in as the remarkably complex (and German) Klaus.

I can't close this review without saying something about the style of the flick. It's mood and score were very "up" so I guess having the marine wildlife presented in cartoony stop-motion animation fits in pretty well. But despite my tremendous adoration for The Nightmare Before Christmas, I'm not a big fan of the technique. It's not too distracting, but I still wish Anderson had done it differently.

A big Murray or Anderson supporter should obviously check it out. But if you're not really into their kind of humor, don't bother, as you're not gonna witness anything new here. The film wasn't bad, but it's certainly not a must-see.

MY FINAL GRADE: B

I got for good luck my black tooth.
great review although I must say I liked the film a lot more than you did.

Originally Posted by Strummer521
great review although I must say I liked the film a lot more than you did.
Well, thanks for reading anyway

Sir Sean Connery's love-child
Yeah, I pretty much echoed everything you said, I was dissapointed in TLA, and I agree it's Wes' weakest effort to date.
Royal Tennenbaums is still the best IMO, lets see what he does now after the lukewarm reception of TLA.
Keep up the good work!

Toga, toga, toga......

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

You've written some great reviews Lance... and I hope you're up to sharing some more soon... ... hint... hint...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)