The MoFo Top 100 Sci-Fi Movies

→ in
Tools    

Mad Max is a stretch. I say no. There should be an Alternate Contemporary genre.
How is it a stretch?

Sci-F is not just robots and flying cars you know. I think Iro gave the most spot-on description a few posts above...

Getting back to Mad Max; is it because it's set a little bit in the future that makes it a Sci-Fi, or because there was some kind of nuclear war? What if it was set a little bit in the future and there was no war, or there was a war but it was set in the present?

Getting back to Mad Max; is it because it's set a little bit in the future that makes it a Sci-Fi, or because there was some kind of nuclear war? What if it was set a little bit in the future and there was no war, or there was a war but it was set in the present?
Future = sci-fi

A war in present = war film.

Easy, c'mon cricket.

This is what Nope has in the first post:

sci·ence fic·tion
noun
fiction based on imagined future scientific or technological advances and major social or environmental changes, frequently portraying space or time travel and life on other planets.
The major social/environmental changes aspect of that definition is what would allow movies like Mad Max to be considered sci-fi.

I never really considered it sci-fi myself, but that's just because I always grouped post-apocalyptic films together in their own little circle.

It’s A Classic Rope-A-Dope
IMDB has like five genres for most movies. If I was Nope I would say if it's listed on there as sci-fi it counts, then call it a day. Otherwise us yahoos are going to drive him nuts.

I HAD a post, but my internet ****ed out, basically citing the definition completely fails to read it in it's entirety.

fiction based on imagined future scientific or technological advances AND major social or environmental changes,

If you allow Mad Max, you gotta allow The Road and that just plain doesn't square.

Plausible inference =/= science.

Ok good, so anything set in the future is Sci-Fi.

You sure?
I was mostly just kidding about my quick reply, but looking at Nope's description in the first post (the one Cosmic just posted) and the description Iro gave of Mad Max, I think we have a pretty good idea of what counts and what doesn't.

But as always, just post a movie in here that you are uncertain of. I must admit Edward Scissorhands threw me off quite a bit, but making an articifical human being is certainly sci-fi. I guess it's Burton's magical fantastical approach that throws me off.

IMDB has like five genres for most movies. If I was Nope I would say if it's listed on there as sci-fi it counts, then call it a day.
I thought he did already say that if IMDB says it's sci-fi, then it counts. But he did also say that we could discuss movies that IMDB doesn't have tagged as sci-fi.

IMDB has like five genres for most movies. If I was Nope I would say if it's listed on there as sci-fi it counts, then call it a day. Otherwise us yahoos are going to drive him nuts.
The only thing is that I don't think that's an actual list of genres, but rather just some descriptive words. We know animation and dance aren't genres. Do we want a top 100 Sci-Fi movies countdown, or a top 100 movies with some Sci-Fi elements countdown? I think there's a huge difference.

It’s A Classic Rope-A-Dope
I HAD a post, but my internet ****ed out, basically citing the definition completely fails to read it in it's entirety.

If you allow Mad Max, you gotta allow The Road and that just plain doesn't square.

Why doesn't that square? Science moving backward because of unfotseen political, social, and environmental issues. Squares with my definition for sure.

Why doesn't that square? Science moving backward because of unfotseen political, social, and environmental issues. Squares with my definition for sure.
What do you even mean when you say "science"? Technological availability? For all we know, the rest of the world outside of Australia is fine. Should we include Castaway?

In the first Mad Max, society is mostly intact. Law still exists, but things are getting out of hand. However The Road Warrior starts off talking about how the world went to war, everything was devastated by nuclear bombs, and now the earth is screwed and people are just fighting for survival and oil. So at least from the second film on, we know that it takes place in the near future, and that technology has had a devastating effect on both society and the environment.

I've only seen The Road once, but if I recall properly, the audience is only left to guess what might have happened to the world, because it's only about the story of that one father and son. There's no talk about technology or what caused the apocalyptic setting because it's irrelevant to the plot. Trying to call that movie sci-fi would probably be plausible inference, but I don't think that's the case for Mad Max.

Animation has a list and dance is most certainly a genre.

That's pretty funny actually but what I mean is that IMDb lists movies under those "genres" along with music (not musical), so I think using that site as a baseline would be a mistake. Otherwise this is leading to Stripes being my #1 choice on an eventual war movie countdown, and that's just goofy.

In the first Mad Max, society is mostly intact. Law still exists, but things are getting out of hand. However The Road Warrior starts off talking about how the world went to war, everything was devastated by nuclear bombs, and now the earth is screwed and people are just fighting for survival and oil. So at least from the second film on, we know that it takes place in the near future, and that technology has had a devastating effect on both society and the environment.

I've only seen The Road once, but if I recall properly, the audience is only left to guess what might have happened to the world, because it's only about the story of that one father and son. There's no talk about technology or what caused the apocalyptic setting because it's irrelevant to the plot. Trying to call that movie sci-fi would probably be plausible inference, but I don't think that's the case for Mad Max.
I remain thoroughly unconvinced.

The definition set out says "ADVANCES" not "REGRESSIONS".