The MoFo Top 100 Action Movie Countdown

→ in
Tools    

The infographic Omni posted to try and back up his argument, says that The Iron Giant is Anime.
Here, you think Wikipedia is an "official site", so here's a page that might interest you: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_mistake

I totally get what you're saying about how or why Anime would be classed as its own genre... but, well, it just isn't a genre.
Anime, is animation. Just like Live Action is live action.
Can't you just accept that it CAN be? Not that it HAS to be, but under certain circumstances it CAN be considered a genre?

Originally Posted by The Rodent
If the anime movie in question has giant robots and space fights, the genre is Sci-Fi.
If you're talking about, say, Akira, that too is Sci-Fi.
Howl's Moving Castle is Fantasy.
If you're talking about movies collectively, yes, those are genres, but under Anime they can also be subgenres.

I think there is different genre of anime. I mean I would hardly call Pokemon the same as Dragonball Z or Inuyasha the same thing as Case Closed.

I think Anime and Animation do have different Genres. But I dont think all anime is an action film but anime too me is kinda all fantasy even if its a story like Gundum or Outlaw Star.

I think there is different genre of anime.

Yeah, they're called Fantasy, Action, Horror, Comedy, Thriller, Sci-Fi

I think Anime and Animation do have different Genres.

Yeah, A Bug's Life and Cowboy Bebop are in the genre of Adventure... Akira and The Iron Giant are Sci-Fi.

Genre, is theme... anime is the style of animation. Although in Japan, "Anime" simply means....

**Drum Roll**

Animation.

in Japan, "Anime" simply means....

**Drum Roll**

Animation.
How many of us are in Japan right now?

I made this point to Guap already, Chinese food is just "food" in China, but outside of China it's "Chinese food" and that possesses unique connotations that appeal to a specific demographic of people. It's marketed that way.

This REALLY isn't that hard to grasp.

Welcome to the human race...
Care to expound? Do you mean we prune the Top 100 and fill it in with the qualifying Honorable Mentions?
If you post an ordered list of every film that managed to be eligible but didn't crack the main 100 then that frees people up to disregard whatever "non-action" films made the main list and push the honourable mentions up into the main list. A case of rejecting one reality and substituting another, as it were - it doesn't mean you have to change the main list.

I am not particularly serious about this idea, though.

If you post an ordered list of every film that managed to be eligible but didn't crack the main 100 then that frees people up to disregard whatever "non-action" films made the main list and push the honourable mentions up into the main list. A case of rejecting one reality and substituting another, as it were - it doesn't mean you have to change the main list.

I am not particularly serious about this idea, though.
Anybody else up for this?

Anybody else up for this?
No.

As I said, people already voiced their opinions on what qualifies and what doesn't by placing their votes. If a film appeared on this list, that means multiple people consider it Action and it deserves its place here.

There is only one qualification: YOU WATCH IT FOR THE ACTION. It doesn't matter what else is in the movie so long as it's thrives on bloodpumping violence, audacious stunts, and one-liners so cool they BURN (but seriously, no one has to talk to make a fun action movie, just use your best judgment).
This was the one rule. It's insulting to the voters to change it after the fact.

No.

As I said, people already voiced their opinions on what qualifies and what doesn't by placing their votes. If a film appeared on this list, that means multiple people consider it Action and it deserves its place here.

This was the one rule. It's insulting to the voters to change it after the fact.
No, if they were insulted is when they should feel insulted. I had brought up the idea just to try and make everyone happy. If theres too many films people feel need to be in the Action list, that are already represented in other countdowns, then so be it.

No, if they were insulted is when they should feel insulted. I had brought up the idea just to try and make everyone happy. If theres too many films people feel need to be in the Action list, that are already represented in other countdowns, then so be it.
What are you talking about? This post was in direct response to Omnizoa asking if people agree with Iro's suggestion.

Iro was reiterating what I had said earlier. I think. I was saying if we took out all the anime/sci-fi/fantasy then whatevers left would be the list, though it wouldnt add up to 100 films.

Iro was reiterating what I had said earlier. I think. I was saying if we took out all the anime/sci-fi/fantasy then whatevers left would be the list, though it wouldnt add up to 100 films.
You've misunderstood his post, because that's not what he was suggesting.

Trouble with a capital "T"
I haven't been following all of this, but Omni you're doing fine so stay the course and just keep going with the countdown.

Next year, if you want, you could do a: advanced multi-genre action countdown, that is then folded into one master action countdown list, or something like that. Sure that sounds like a lot of calculations and charting to me, but something tells me you would be good at it.

No.

Even if only two people voted for it and everyone else thinks it's entirely inappropriate?

I'll just say it now, people nominated ALIEN for this Countdown, not once, but twice (it's the one movie I said I've contested people over). Now...

I dunno about the rest of you, but I don't think it's any affront to democracy to vote for a post-hoc revision when a movie that is almost universally considered a straight sci-fi horror makes it into the Action Countdown, but multiple well known action stars have zero presence on it save honorable mentions.

Personally, I'm in favor of Iro's idea. I'd insist on a vote, so you'd be inclined to vote "no" or opt out if you had no preference, but I think it would be beneficial to the list.

I'm fairly sure the distinction was in eliminating non-action movies, not hybrid-action movies.

Even if only two people voted for it and everyone else thinks it's entirely inappropriate?

I'll just say it now, people nominated ALIEN for this Countdown, not once, but twice (it's the one movie I said I've contested people over). Now...
Who's "everyone else"?

It's been a long time since I last watched Alien, but I don't contest its inclusion.