Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

3nd Rewatch...This is the first movie I ever reviewed on this site and this is my first rewatch since doing so. This 1987 instant classic still holds up. Chris Columbus wrote this distaff re-imagining of Ferris Bueller's Day Off stars Elisabeth Shue, in the performance of her career as Chris Parker, a vivacious high school student who lives in a Chicago suburb. After being stood up by her scummy boyfriend, she agrees to accept a job babysitting for Brad (who has a mad crush on her), his little sister, Sara, and Brad's BFF Daryl. As soon as the parents leave, Chris gets a phone call from her BFF Brenda who is stranded at the bus station in downtown Chicago and asks Chris if she can come pick her up. Chris has no choice but to pack the kids in the station wagon and head downtown, but en route, they get a flat tire, which kicks off the wildest nightmare of babysitting you can imagine, which includes an encounter with an armed gang on a subway, some dangerous mobsters who are after a PLAYBOY magazine that Daryl confiscated, a respite at a college frat party, and scaling the outside of the building where Brad and Sara's parents are partying. You have to swallow a whole lot here, the story is overprotective of Chris and her charges and really shouldn't have gotten out of this alive, but Chris is so loveable and so serious about her job there is no way we can accept anything happening to them. And, of course, that scene in the blues club is worth the price of admission all by itself. NOTE: Daryl is played by Anthony Rapp, the actor who years later would accuse Kevin Spacey of sexually assaulting him at a party, right around the age he was when he made this film.
I only saw this once as a kid but I remember enjoying it, you got me wanting to rewatch it. It also features a young Vincent D’Onofrio has “Thor.”

Absolutely. Just pointing out that poor YouTube rips of films that are easily available somewhere else in a much better quality/release are a common phenomenon.

But yeah, if the keyword is legally, this can indeed be an issue.
The copyright holder can get it taken down real fast if they report it. It's amazing that so many movies of dubious origin go unreported.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
The copyright holder can get it taken down real fast if they report it. It's amazing that so many movies of dubious origin go unreported.
Yep, I don't mind not/reporting them. But I wish people would watch each film in the best version they can find. It's quite demotivating to see people who could easily access, say, a Bluray rip of a film, resort to watching a poor VHS rip on YouTube instead. Now, there's a whole different conversation about a specific group of films that look better on VHS than on Bluray, but that group isn't that big.

There are whole channels that upload films to YouTube in poor quality. They're just a waste. Most of those films are available in 1080p restored versions.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I only saw this once as a kid but I remember enjoying it, you got me wanting to rewatch it. It also features a young Vincent D’Onofrio has “Thor.”
D'Onofrio actually looks very hot in this movie.

The Black Dahlia (2006)

Tepid telling of the story of the unsolved murder of Elizabeth Short. All the components are there for a good watch but the bland script and the fact Josh Hartnett doesn't really have star value means it turns out to be just a decent watch.

The Blue Dahlia > The Black Dahlia

Re-watch of an excellent movie. Both leads excellent, but Rory Kinnear was beyond. Great actor. Guessing @AgrippinaX has seen this?

I have indeed. Buckley is always great, and Rory Kinnear was indeed spectacular. I think the concept could use some refining/development, but they both kept it engaging enough.

I quite like Garland — even his latest offering had something to it, I thought.

I have indeed. Buckley is always great, and Rory Kinnear was indeed spectacular. I think the concept could use some refining/development, but they both kept it engaging enough.

I quite like Garland — even his latest offering had something to it, I thought.
What was his latest?

Civil War. Strange movie. I worked with and around journalists for years, and can understand what fascinated him there, but it didn’t quite come off imo.
I have it in a watchlist. So far the thing that most interests me is the cast.

Bad Day at Black Rock (John Sturges / 1955)

I really must say that, although I love The Magnificent Seven and I thought Gunfight at the O.K. Corral and Hour of the Gun were decent versions of the Wyatt Earp / Tombstone saga, I have to say that Bad Day at Black Rock is my favorite John Sturges film (so far). Something of a "neo-Western," it's also a very taut and involving crime thriller with a group of very well-written and well-conceived characters. Spencer Tracy portrays John J. Macreedy, a one-armed World War II vet who's taken the streamliner train to a small, isolated town in the middle of nowhere to look for a Japanese man named Komoko. What he finds, however, is a town full of shifty, mistrustful people who respond adversely to his presence. There is a sheriff (Dean Jagger), but he proves to be somewhat useless. Sometime John Wayne sidekick Walter Brennan gives one of his best performances - "teeth in" - as the local doctor, who is struggling with his conscience and is one of the few people determined to aid Macreedy in unearthing something terrible that happened four years before. The unofficial leader of the town is Reno Smith (Robert Ryan), and he's backed up by two threatening sidekicks, Coley (Ernest Borgnine) and Hector (Lee Marvin). Macreedy isn't looking for trouble, and is in fact here on one last errand before - in his words - "retiring from the human race." But the suspicious actions and behavior of Black Rock's citizens put his antennae up and make him energized and determined to find out just what's going on and what happened to Komoko.

The movie is very much a character-driven piece, and almost has the feel of a stage play. But that doesn't mean it skimps on action setpieces. There is a car chase in the desert, and at one point the one-armed Tracy is forced into a physical confrontation with Borgnine's character at the local bar, where he proceeds to quite satisfactorily wipe the floor with him! And the final nighttime showdown between Tracy's Macreedy and Ryan's Reno is quite suspenseful, with Macreedy being forced to drain fuel from his car in order to make a Molotov cocktail. The supporting cast of course is familiar to anyone who's familiar with the Western genre. In addition to Marvin, Borgnine and Brennan, we've also got Dean Jagger and John Ericson. I'm also a really big fan of Samuel Fuller's Forty Guns, and Jagger and Ericson both have supporting roles in that one. One might say that the characters they both play here are slightly more redeemable incarnations of the characters they play in Fuller's film. The film also owes a great deal to other similar serious, character-driven Westerns of the '50s such as The Gunfighter and High Noon

One of these days, I'm also going to check out Sturges' Last Train from Gun Hill. Believe it or not, I've also never seen The Great Escape, either!

"I'll let you be in my dream if I can be in yours" - Bob Dylan, Talkin' World War III Blues (1963)

I have it in a watchlist. So far the thing that most interests me is the cast.
The cast is pretty interesting and they somehow vibe together. Haven’t seen Dunst in anything worthwhile since Melancholia.

Prawo i pięść / Law and Fist (1964)

At the end of World War Two, Polish people move to the western lands vacated by Germans. But some ruthless profiteers pose as government representatives and intend to make off with loot from a deserted town they took over. One honest man stands up against them because he believes these goods belong to the people.

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (2014)

The Calgary Stampede -- 1925 -- 3/5 -- just yer garden variety western, leading man's real name was Hoot, and i was born in Calgary, so for me it's a real hoot. This guy wants to marry a lady, but her father don't like his Irish name so they argue and another guy shoots the dad through the window and escapes, so the Irishman is blamed. Tested out the commentary and there's interesting info on mass bison slaughter to kick things off.

I forgot the opening line.

By "Copyright 1946 RKO Radio Pictures Inc." - Scan via Heritage Auctions. Cropped from the original image., Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/inde...curid=87339746

Notorious - (1946)

A nice easy to follow spy thriller and love story rolled into one - featuring Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman as government agent T. R. Devlin and an American daughter of a convicted Nazi spy, Alicia Huberman, respectively. There are many classic Hitchcock moments of suspense - drawn out for as long as cinematically possible - and tricky moments. Huberman must infiltrate a group of ex-Nazis in Brazil by seducing Alexander Sebastian (an Oscar-nominated Claude Rains) - but that's complicated by the fact that Devlin and Huberman have fallen in love with each other. There's talent all-round in every department here, making Notorious a very crisp, smart and dazzlingly-paced spy movie which gallops along from start to finish. Huberman isn't a very nice character at first, but as we get to know her our sympathies flow her way to a greater and greater degree - especially seeing as she's risking her life and sacrificing her love for a cause she's being forced into. The way Grant sours over the whole situation shows what an effective dramatic actor he could be. Rains is terrific as the bamboozled mama's boy who really thinks Huberman loves him.

7.5/10

By IMP Awards, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=25509925

Knight and Day - (2010)

Here we have Tom Cruise as Roy Miller - a deadly, but decidedly goofy, spy - and Cameron Diaz as June Havens, the lady who just happens to cross paths with him and becomes embroiled in an action adventure involving some kind of super battery invented by Simon Feck (Paul Dano). It's a Cruise film, so that action has to be pumped up to the MAX and the whole cast look like they've been snorting cocaine throughout the shoot. "High energy" I think it's called - a few jokes and already the next action scene is upon us, with terrific destruction, explosions, and Cruise, nearly 50 at this stage, acting like he's 28. At least Diaz, though 10 years younger, is somewhat age-appropriate. It's A-lister stuff, but very commercial and lacking in gravitas. Oh, and is it okay to drug ladies without their knowledge? I thought that was wrong. The movie tries to make that okay by giving Diaz a chance to drug Cruise - but I'm not sure that makes it okay. That aspect to Knight and Day was a little suspect...

6/10

By IMP Awards, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=26777773

The Devils - (1971)

Absolutely superb film about Father Urbain Grandier (Oliver Reed) - a real life French person of note who was burned at the stake when Sister Jeanne des Anges (Vanessa Redgrave) accused him of witchcraft. It was all sex and politics - which, when mixed with religion, is always explosive. Reviewed here, in my watchlist thread.

9/10

Latest Review : Aftersun (2022)

Knight and Day - (2010)

Here we have Tom Cruise as Roy Miller - a deadly, but decidedly goofy, spy - and Cameron Diaz as June Havens, the lady who just happens to cross paths with him and becomes embroiled in an action adventure involving some kind of super battery invented by Simon Feck (Paul Dano). It's a Cruise film, so that action has to be pumped up to the MAX and the whole cast look like they've been snorting cocaine throughout the shoot. "High energy" I think it's called - a few jokes and already the next action scene is upon us, with terrific destruction, explosions, and Cruise, nearly 50 at this stage, acting like he's 28. At least Diaz, though 10 years younger, is somewhat age-appropriate. It's A-lister stuff, but very commercial and lacking in gravitas. Oh, and is it okay to drug ladies without their knowledge? I thought that was wrong. The movie tries to make that okay by giving Diaz a chance to drug Cruise - but I'm not sure that makes it okay. That aspect to Knight and Day was a little suspect...

6/10

This movie was terrible...JMO