Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

'Pamfir' (2023)

Ukranian crime drama about a brute of a man called Leonid, who has to turn to smuggling once again, in order to provide for his family and pay off debts. His nickname is Pamfir (rock), he has fought in bloody battles and seen a tough life. But he is a good father and devoted husband who just wants to live in peace, and now builds wells for locals.

Dmytro Sukholytkyy-Sobchuk’s film is quite visceral with some really memorable images, especially towards the end of the film, and very immersive. I would imagine this film cuts deep for those brought up in the rural countryside of any Eastern European country.

Things go from bad to worse for Pamfir, as a chaotic event close to home and a organised crime baron conspire to bring him and his family more troubles. There are some lovely, tense long tracking shots, great performances and perhaps some symbolism that the corrupt people who run things in these areas of the world represent the current state of Ukraine’s neighbouring countries.

This one is really worth checking out.

8.2/10

Just Jim (Craig Roberts, 2015)

Low-budget Welsh film that flirts with being stylistically interesting in a way that manages to just about keep your intrigue for its short runtime but there's not much behind that. I'm guessing that Craig Roberts probably has good taste as he tries to inject a bit of flair here and there, but beyond its Fight Club-lite plot this is a paper-thin film.

THE COVENANT 2023 Guy Ritchie

2h 3m | Thriller | War | Action
Writers: Ivan Atkinson, Marn Davies
Cast: Jake Gyllenhaal, Dar Salim, Antony Starr, Emily Beecham

Not what I expected and nothing like Ritchie's previous work so literally 'outstanding'.
Great performances wouldn't be surprised if both Gyllenhaal and Salim get a nomination.

Can’t stand Ritchie’s stuff, but this did get good reviews so am giving it a chance.

I forgot the opening line.

By http://www.impawards.com/2017/war_fo...apes_ver3.html, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=48616125

War for the Planet of the Apes - (2017)

You know we've reached the cutting edge when CGI-enhanced actors can emote as well as they do here as apes. You don't miss a single thought or feeling when you watch the likes of Caesar, Maurice or Bad Ape, and that's high praise. Third time lucky on Oscar night? No. It lost to Blade Runner 2049 - but I'm sure Joe Letteri must be somewhat satisfied with the 5 Oscars he's won so far in his career, including the one he won for Avatar : The Way of Water this year. So yeah, I was cheering on the apes and hating nearly all of the human characters in this film - then I stopped and thought, "Hey, they've got me cheering for my own extinction!" It's not really about that however - this Planet of the Apes chapter focuses squarely on war, and it's nonsensical aspects. It brings to a close a great trilogy of modern Planet of the Apes films, and I think they should leave everything now, as it's really a fitting final chapter that brings us completely up to date on the story of how Earth came to be dominated by intelligent apes who herd animalistic humans around. It's exciting, tense and brings two great characters in Woody Harrelson's "Colonel" and Caesar (Andy Serkis) together in a Bridge on the River Kwai-like battle of wits (call it an homage.) These films were far better than I ever expected them to be. I even enjoyed Steve Zahn's raggedly comical Bad Ape, and what he added to the franchise.

7.5/10

"We finally really did it...You Maniacs! You blew it up! Ah, damn you! God damn you all to hell!" Sorry. I couldn't help myself.

Latest Review : Aftersun (2022)

Avengers Endgame 10/10

Godfather trilogy 9/10

Back to the future trilogy

Christopher Nolan films

Interstellar

Wolf of the wall street

Gladiator

Terminator 2

It chapter 1

Conjuring trilogy

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Patterns - 7/10
Movie balancing humanity and profits. Good cast, but I realized how much I like Ed Begley - always convincing. As Pontecorvo said (re: "The Battle of Algiers"), "It's the face".
Full movie down below.

A Man Called Otto (2022)

If you’re faced with the choice of watching A Man Called Otto or having a tooth cavity filled, take the dentist appointment.

Tom Hanks, as Otto, plays a curmudgeon widower who is embittered over his long ago deceased wife and child, who rather lords over the rules of his cul-de-sac neighborhood association. As a result he sharply rebukes anyone who goes afoul of those rules, and therefore exists as a bitter old man whom the neighborhood inhabitants have become used to.

When a new Mexican couple moves in across the street, the woman brings Otto a Mexican food dish with the aim of getting acquainted. Otto is taken aback by the gesture, and
irritably rebuffs the Senora. The rest of the film pretty much follows the transition of Otto’s isolated resentful character into a kindly and thoughtful retread. The reforming effort was lead by the gregarious Mexican lady, a neighborhood cat, and --what else-- a transsexual kid.

The picture was a remake of the Swedish film
A Man Called Ove, which in turn was based upon the novel of the same name by Swedish author Fredrik Backman. It is labeled a comedy-drama, but it was often a mystery which was which. When it was obvious that a given scene was meant to be comedy, it was thoroughly hackneyed. The film from beginning to end was so apparent where it was going that a 4th grader could figure it out. It fails as a feel good picture to all but the type who say “awww” at every opportunity. Sweetness in spades.

Hanks
at first seemed to well represent a curmudgeon who didn’t suffer fools to a “T”, but he was not able to transition the character’s meanness persona in a comedy scene. Part of it was the weak writing, despite the fact that screenwriter David Magee (Life of Pi) has several fine scripts to his credit. Hanks is an authorized living icon in Hollywood. So it’s no surprise that the picture ticks many of its fashionable boxes: multiculturalism, the housing crisis, sexual and transsexual discrimination, and prejudice against immigrants; but their insertion into the film were almost brief enough to not notice.

I have to believe that Hanks is getting some bad advice as to which roles to take. Weak miscastings come to mind,
like the plodding News of the World, and his Col. Tom Parker in Elvis. Perhaps his wife (Rita Wilson) being among the film’s producers swayed his judgment to sign on.

Doc’s rating: 3/10

Patterns [1956]- 7/10
Movie balancing humanity and profits. Good cast, but I realized how much I like Ed Begley - always convincing. As Pontecorvo said (re: "The Battle of Algiers"), "It's the face".
Full movie down below.
Good film. For some reason Hollywood and the American public focused on corporate drama and intrigue in the mid '50s, e.g. Executive Suite (1954), The Man in the Gray Flannel Suit (1956), and even up into North By Northwest (1959). It was good fresh stuff at the time. IMO Frederic March played the perfect corporate officer.