Godoggo's 120 favorite movies

→ in
Tools    

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Wow. That was so... matter of fact. Darkly so. But strangely uplifting. I actually really enjoyed it, so thanks for including it!
Yea!!! It always makes me really happy when people like Harvey Krumpet.

Oh, now things are starting to get interesting. Dog Soldiers, which I had on my MoFo millennium list, I think. Halloween is great, don't listen to the naysayers. I've not seen Parenthood since '89, but I really liked it. I went with a group of friends, but only myself and one other were left by the time it finished.

Dog Soldiers was the best werewolf movie since American Werewolf In London. Ginger Snaps is pretty good, too, but it's more one of those "using horror ironically" types. Dog Soldiers seemed more straight-up horror, lean and mean.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

108. Poltergeist (1982 Tobe Hooper)

They're Here

Not only is Poltergeist one of the best haunted house movies of all time, it works as a family film as well.

There has always been something so frightening to me about the safe and familar turning into our deep and darkest fears. Poltergeist makes good on that. Toys become monsters and the very house itself becomes a trap from which they must escape. Who can ever forget that creepy, creepy clown scene or the one with the tree?

109. Arthur (1981 Steve Gordon)

Arthur is, at times, a hilarious movie, but there's an undercurrent of sadness. Arthur drinks because he is lonely and has nothing of substance in his life. It's the genuine humanity of Arthur, that there is something more to him than just a funny drunk that elevates the film into something more than a standard comedy.

What truely makes Arthur shine is the three lead performances. Moore is outrageously funny; Liza Minelli is always Liza Minelli in all her roles, but that's more than fine with me and John Gielgud steals the show. He's perfection.

I thought Arthur was really funny, but if that was all there was to it, it wouldn't have made my list. The sweetness underneath the funny is what pulled me in and has me going back time and time again.

107. Repo Man(1984 Alex Cox)

A repo man spends his life getting into tense situations

The memories that movies can give us. I saw this for the first time one weekend when a group of us stayed at this guy's house who had the most awesome collection of movies. That same weekend I saw Decline of the Western Civilization, Suburbia, Eraserhead, Another State of Mind, as well as tons and tons of B movie horror. That weekend changed how I viewed movies. They were more than just entertainment, they could help define who you were. I also realized that there was "worth" in something beyond current releases and began to actively seek out other types of movies.

I like Repo Man for more than just nostalgic reasons though. It's a nihilistic, zany, wild ride. Harry Dean Stanton is the king of cool and Emilio Estevez does surprisingly well as the disaffected Otto. Plus Repo Man has one of the most kick-ass soundtracks ever.

105. The Funeral (1996 Abel Ferrara)

The Funeral is much more dark and unsettling than the traditional gangster film. Gone is the glamour and what we have is a stripped down film of tortured haunted people, some who are teetering on the edge of madness. Ferrarra brings humanity to these characters, not to say they're good people; they're not, but they are extremely self-aware. They talk, they moralize, they regret, but they do what they do and they suffer for it.

Now let's talk about Chris Penn. He gives the performance of his unfortunately short life-time. His character is the most tragic of the bunch and because he is so good in this role, it makes what he does that much more powerful. Chris Penn actually appears in three movies on my list (including the next one). The man should have had a better career.

106. Rumble Fish (1983 Francis Ford Coppola)

Somebody ought to put the fish in the river

I love S.E. Hinton. She speaks to me and I'm guessing she does to Coppola as well since he directed two of the movie adaptions of her books. Too bad he didn't do all of them.

Rumble Fish is angst ridden to the extreme, overwrought and dramatic. In some cases I would criticize a movie for being those exact things, but there is something so compelling and earnest about Rusty James and Motorcycle Boy's story that here it becomes a good thing.

The film (except for the fish) is shot in black and white which is symbolic of Motorcycle Boy being colorblind. The fish themselves are symbolic, but I won't tell you what that's about other than to say they are Siamese fighting fish, so you figure that out.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Yay for Repo Man. Finally a film I've both seen and really liked! Actually that's a film that I love! Also on my favourite films list

Thank ya kindly, JayDee. I know you've seen a few of the movies to come. You've reviewed a couple.
After the 'thank ya kindly' I'm picturing you in an old Wild West style prairie skirt. And oh, now I'm intrigued. When I said I was looking forward to the list I was actually just being polite, but now I'm actually genuinely interested! I hope I wasn't rude about them in the reviews

After the 'thank ya kindly' I'm picturing you in an old Wild West style prairie skirt. And oh, now I'm intrigued. When I said I was looking forward to the list I was actually just being polite, but now I'm actually genuinely interested! I hope I wasn't rude about them in the reviews
I don't know what was up with that. I often appropriate other speech mannerisms for myself. The Rifleman must have been on or something. Those skirts are cool though; I'd wear one.

One movie I know you liked at least a little; the other I can't remember.

By the way, if you're being fake polite with someone, you don't go back and tell them. Just kidding, I don't really care. I'm fine with anyone saying whatever they want to about my list. I would rather any discussion at all than none.

By the way, I went back and read some of your top 100, but not all. I'll probably start from the beginning so expect a resurrection as I expect I'll want to ccomment.

Glad you finally liked a movie.

The Funeral is a good film. Did you ever see The Addiction? It was released at the same time as The Funeral, as a kind of unofficial Abel Ferrara double bill.

Yeah. The Addiction is a great film, but it didn't quite make my list. I actually saw that one well before I saw The Funeral.