Lets Talk Football

Tools    

Imagine watching the match on your mobile and headphones, to not disturb your family members, only for Origi to do that and you jumping, clapping and screaming at 2 in the night.

Ah, I pity the people who don't watch sports.

I think so too. By the same token Newcastle could get a result .
Ha – nearly . Ironic that two of Liverpool's last three games are with teams managed by their ex-managers.

Is this the day where Liverpool get their chance? It might just be the fear talking, but I can see Leicester nicking something tonight. The 'written on the cup' feeling continued this weekend when they got that freekick for nothing. I was sure they were going to score from the moment it was awarded.

So... Sunday went pretty much as I feared. I know you said United had a good chance (and we did) but not this United at this time. I just couldn't see us winning both games and so it proved. JJ was pretty scathing about their performance on MotD2 last night, for those who saw it. He said it was as bad as the Everton game, it's just that Huddersfield weren't good enough to make United pay. I only saw the highlights, but he seemed to have made his point well, from what I did see.

Is this the day where Liverpool get their chance? It might just be the fear talking, but I can see Leicester nicking something tonight.
They really should have.

I can see Wolves getting a result this weekend but not Brighton.

I've never seen anything like that before. I'm a spurs follower so the man city game was the greatest game of football I've ever seen.......for 3 weeks.
Fingers crossed tonight pal

Last night's game was just astounding

Slept at 6 in the morning. Spent the entire night rewatching goals, interviews, memes, etc. Called in sick to office.

I finally have time to reflect on that. Yet another crazy Anfield night, because we got that early goal and because Barca couldn't take their chances. Fair play to the squad and to the fringe players. How important has Origi been, scoring vital goals against Everton, Newcastle-which was technically an OG and this. And Gini, who has been sensational this season, popping with two.

Also, Valverde's tactics were terrible. Right from playing Coutinho in both legs for nothing more than sentimental reason - the whole ex player scoring against his former club. Coutinho offered absolutely nothing. Arthur or even Malcolm would have been the better option. Thankfully, he didn't. Alba had an absolute stinker.

On a final note, Trent is 20 years old. The nerve to pull that cheeky corner in a semifinal. What a lad.

I've never seen anything like that before. I'm a spurs follower so the man city game was the greatest game of football I've ever seen.......for 3 weeks.
Fingers crossed tonight pal

Last night's game was just astounding
Hope it's an all English finals in UCL and Europa.

Sometimes, you just have to say well done.

As I said, I couldn't see Barca not scoring, but they played awfully (made worse by Liverpool being superb) and their finishing was terrible. I've heard a few people mention Messi, but what about the other 9 outfield players? A complaint about Barca for the last couple of seasons has been that if Messi doesn't turn up Barca don't work, but that was usually in La Liga games. Against 'lesser' teams which those players don't or can't get themselves up for. But this was a CL Semi-Final. Even if you're 3 up, it's still a huge game. I think everyone apart from Messi (who didn't play well by his standards, but still set up a couple of good chances), Pique (who wasn't brilliant but ok apart from that last goal) and ter Stegen (who made some good saves) should look at themselves and see why they played like that. If I was Valverde I'd be worried for my job, too, because that was embarrassing. They must've known what to expect and he didn't respond well or quickly enough, IMO.

I think Liverpool are a better team than Barca (were better in the first leg too but poor finishing and a funny 5 minutes looked like it'd cost them to me) but to lose a three goal lead to a team without an away goal is criminal for a team like Barca.

I still think it's wrong that a team can/will only play one way even in extreme circumstances and that failing cost them.

As good as Liverpool were, I'd like to mention Fabinho in particular. After getting booked very early on I thought he'd be on the hook all night and was bound to go before the 90. Suarez looked beyond pleased when he saw him get that card, but he kept his head on an amazing night and under plenty of provocation and stayed on the field to play an important part, dominating the midfield and keeping possession from Messi who, apart from the Coutinho shot, seemed to be the only thread coming from Barca.

The last goal summed up the whole night and the performances of both teams. Inventive, opportunistic and clinical from Liverpool. Slack, unfocused and unprepared from Barca.

I was as gobsmacked with that one goal as I was with the whole night and I think, for as bad as they were and as good as Liverpool were, there is only one conclusion. Barca bottled it.

BTW, sorry Spurs fans, but if you thought I wanted Ajax to win to face Barca, I definitely want them to to face Liverpool.

I don't want to double post, so I'll put this here.

Is this Origi's break out season? One of the reasons I've been saying that it feels like Liverpool's year in the league is because of this player. His purchase and playing reminds me a lot of Chris Wreh for Arsenal in '97/'98. They had Wright and Bergkamp up front (as well as a great midfield) but there were games where it just wasn't working. It probably only happened a couple of times, but Wreh would score the winner (usually a 1-0) and just get them over the line. Players like this have been known as Wreh's to me since that season and Origi has done it a few times this season, starting with the win against Everton. However, after last night, maybe this isn't the case? Maybe it's the start of the career people thought he'd have (and why Liverpool bought him) 4 years ago? It might not be at Liverpool (considering their front three) but maybe this is the start? Or he'll be another Chris Wreh. Remembered for a few very important goals which carried the team to a title on a night when nothing else worked.

@honeykid
Regarding Origi I highly doubt it. We tried to sell/loan one of him and Sturridge before the start of the season and it didn't work. He was sent on loan last season but it didn't work. I don't think he has played that well in other matches this season, but just been in the right place at the right time.

Yesterday, however, he played like a man possessed. Ran his socks off and stretched the play and took his chances. Sturrdige is definitely finished. And I think Origi is too. Klopp has already stated that Brewster will play first team games next season. He is rated very highly. Plus we have Harry Wilson returning after what looks like a great loan spell at Derby. Plus, there is still hope for Woodburn.

If Origi is okay with the bit part role, and being third choice behind Brewster I think he might stay. But knowing Michael Edward, he will sell him for a hefty fee.

Also, agree on the Messi bit. Lad created three clear cut chances. Not his fault that his team mates couldn't score.

@
WrinkledMind;No, I don't think it is either. Like you, I think he'll be gone but I wonder if he'll show up for someone else?

If I were Liverpool I'd be looking to get him out this summer, while these important goals are fresh in the mind of someone looking to take a punt. Should raise his price a bit.

@honeykid
I'll forgive you for wanting Ajax in the final, if you forgive me for my celebrations when we beat you lol
All I ever ask for is a good game, if Spurs play well I'm less fussed about the result, but CL might be a new experience for me!

Ho. Leeeeeeee. Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

Amazing. That's one final no one will be leaving early, regardless of the score with 5 minutes to go.

Congrats, Spurs fans. It's amazing when that happens to you.