What do you think of George Clooney?

Tools    

I love how in just a few words someone can crush a person's entire lengthy and notable career...
I think George Clooney is likeable in his films, he's a good actor.

There, I restored his career to him.

They will.

Every artist has their fans and detractors. Nobody is universally admired.
Yeah, I know you're right. I just wish you weren't.

I'd say he's overall average. He's got some highlights in his career (O Brother, Where Art Thou?; Good Night, and Good Luck.), and then he has some stinkers (Batman & Robin; a second example isn't needed).

Welcome to the human race...
... sick of seeing his smug self satisfied face spewing out meaningless platitudes
lmao that definitely sums up how it feels to watch PrisonPlanet videos

As for Clooney, eh he's alright I guess. Good enough in some things, passable in most.

Good question, how many good to great movies has he done.

• Out of Sight
  • Three Kings
  • The Perfect Storm
  • Oceans 11
  • Syriana
  • Michael Clayton
  • Good Night Good Luck
  • Burn After Reading
  • The Fantastic Mr Fox
  • Up in the Air
  • The Ides of March
  • The Descendants
  • Gravity
  • Hail Caesar
14 movies...that's pretty good especially considering the tonal diversity.

I think really it's his other work writing, directing and producing which would make him AFI worthy. However he's only 56 so unless he's retiring this is about 10 years to early for me.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I've liked him in every thing I've seen him in. I find him very easy to watch both looks and acting. I even like the current nescafe add located in Colombia where he says "peruvian" rather than "proving". LOL not sure if that's a private joke or just his accent.

I like Clooney a lot, as an actor, a movie star, a filmmaker, and as a human being. The AFI award seems slightly premature, but for the sake of ratings and somebody who is pretty universally liked by his peers and the industry, I can see it.

When the American Film Institute first starting bestowing this award in the early '70s, it was easy to pick from among the legends of the industry who were still alive (they have never given one of these posthumously). John Ford, Jimmy Cagney, Orson Welles, Bette Davis, Alfred Hitchcock, Jimmy Stewart, Billy Wilder....obvious choices. By the time they got to the 1990s, all the obvious choices had either gotten the award or died. Which meant they had to start giving the Lifetime Achievement Award to people who started working in the '60s and '70s and were still very much working and nowhere near done, yet. Nicholson, Spielberg, Eastwood, Scorsese, Hoffman....again, their careers were still going but pretty easy to see them as deserving for their body of work to that point plus where they were bound to keep going. In 2002 they gave the Lifetime Achievement Award to Tom Hanks. He was forty-five then and one of the biggest and most bankable movie stars around. But it was good for the TV ratings, and who doesn't like Tom fu*king Hanks?

George Clooney is 57. Age-wise, he is not one of the three or four youngest to get the Life Achievement Award. Hanks was the youngest (45), but Spielberg was 49 (1995, three years before Saving Private Ryan), Scorsese was 54 (1997), Meryl Streep was 54 (2004), and Jack Nicholson was a year younger than Clooney is now, 55 in 1994 (a few years before he won Best Actor for As Good as it Gets). Harrison Ford, who received the AFI Award in 2000, was also 57. Babs Streisand was 58 (2001), and Bobby DeNiro was only 59 (in 2003).

Clooney has been acting forever, but didn't become a TV star until "e.r." and a movie star shortly after that. So yes, he is older than Scorsese when they are getting this honor, but Scorsese had a more robust film career at fifty-four than Clooney does at fifty-seven. I obviously get that. But I think George's career is worthy.

Clooney has won an acting Oscar, Best Supporting Actor for Syriana, with three other nominations (Michael Clayton, Up in the Air, The Descendants). He also has two Oscar nominations as a screenwriter, co-writing both The Ides of March and Good Night, and Good Luck. He was nominated as Best Director for Good Night, and Good Luck. And as a producer, he won a Best Picture Oscar for Argo.

His career as an actor is very visible, but he has now directed six films: Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, Good Night and Good Luck, Leatherheads, The Ides of March, Monuments Men, and the about-to-be-released Suburbicon. As a producer, in addition to his own films he has been the executive producer of things as varied as Todd Haynes' Far from Heaven, Christopher Nolan's Insomnia, Richard Linklater's A Scanner Darkly, and John Wells' August: Osage County. Among others.

The AFI Life Achievement Award is supposed to go to someone who "fundamentally advanced the art of film and whose achievements had been acknowledged by the general public as well as by film scholars and critics and the individual's peers." And the work is supposed to have stood the test of time. As they choose to award those whose careers are still very much going, the stand the test of time thing gets a little fuzzier. But as for an actor/writer/director/producer who also happens to be a handsome movie star, I think he fits the bill.

Here is the list of all the recipients, starting in 1973...
John Ford
James Cagney
Orson Welles
William Wyler
Bette Davis
Henry Fonda
Alfred Hitchcock
James Stewart
Fred Astaire
Frank Capra
John Huston
Lillian Gish
Gene Kelly
Billy Wilder
Barbara Stanwyck
Jack Lemmon
Gregory Peck
David Lean
Kirk Douglas
Sidney Poitier
Elizabeth Taylor
Jack Nicholson
Steven Spielberg
Clint Eastwood
Martin Scorsese
Robert Wise
Dustin Hoffman
Harrison Ford
Barbra Streisand
Tom Hanks
Robert DeNiro
Meryl Streep
George Lucas
Sean Connery
Al Pacino
Warren Beatty
Michael Douglas
Mike Nichols
Morgan Freeman
Shirley MacLaine
Mel Brooks
Jane Fonda
Steve Martin
John Williams
Diane Keaton
George Clooney
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"
Let's not forget, he starred in one of the greatest films of all time...
Return of the Killer Tomatoes!

I came here to make a Killer Tomatoes joke.

*stomps feet*

I love Dusk till Dawn until the vampires and a few other movies. The guy is an all-time face.

And when I'm all alone I feel I don't wanna hide
He's a perfectly solid actor. He has never given a terrible performance, nor has he given a remarkable performance, although he was close with the latter in Up in the Air.

i like him a lot in out of sight and the peacemaker, i think two of his best movies

The truth is in here
Paul Joseph Watson is just a ****ty human being, regardless of how you feel about George Clooney.

I think he gives perfectly good performances. He's not one of those actors I go out of my way to watch, but he's a pleasant screen presence whenever it happens.

Here is the list of all the recipients, starting in 1973...
John Ford
James Cagney
Orson Welles
William Wyler
Bette Davis
Henry Fonda
Alfred Hitchcock
James Stewart
Fred Astaire
Frank Capra
John Huston
Lillian Gish
Gene Kelly
Billy Wilder
Barbara Stanwyck
Jack Lemmon
Gregory Peck
David Lean
Kirk Douglas
Sidney Poitier
Elizabeth Taylor
Jack Nicholson
Steven Spielberg
Clint Eastwood
Martin Scorsese
Robert Wise
Dustin Hoffman
Harrison Ford
Barbra Streisand
Tom Hanks
Robert DeNiro
Meryl Streep
George Lucas
Sean Connery
Al Pacino
Warren Beatty
Michael Douglas
Mike Nichols
Morgan Freeman
Shirley MacLaine
Mel Brooks
Jane Fonda
Steve Martin
John Williams
Diane Keaton
George Clooney
Clooney told Letterman recently on his new show that his favorite actor is Spencer Tracy, who I see is not listed.

Clooney told Letterman recently on his new show that his favorite actor is Spencer Tracy, who I see is not listed.
The policy from the beginning was only to celebrate living artists with the AFI Lifetime Achievement Award. The first award was given to John Ford in 1973. Spencer Tracy died in 1967, days after completing Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?.