TheBrowningIdentity's Top Ten Worst Directors List

Tools    

Care for some gopher?
I liked "The Sixth Sense" quite a bit but none of the other Shyamalan movies i've seen (Unbreakable, The Village, Lady in the Water, The Happening). Of Schumacher's movies i really like "Phone Booth" and i thought "8mm" is pretty decent. Hated "Batman Forever" and didn't like "Batman & Robin". Haven't seen anything else from him. "The Patriot" is Emmerich's best movie and i like it quite a bit. Everything else ranges from "ok" to "meh".

Thane of Glamis, Thane of Cawdor, & King Hereafter
#7 - Jonathan Liebesman

Of every director on this list, I believe he's the one with the fewest films directed. Even so, that doesn't stop him from making a bit of garbage.

According to all I've read, his best film is called The Killing Room. I've personally never seen it, so I can't say anything about it, though I'm sure at least one of you can confirm or deny what I've read.

Instead, I know him more for the following:

-Darkness Falls: Boring horror film. It was his first film, and probably his worst, so on the bright side he got better over time (but not by much).

-Battle: Los Angeles: Generic alien invasion film. I recently did a review on this. Gave it a 4/10. It's not good, but it's not too bad, either. A decent time-killer, I suppose.

-Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The newest version, mind you. Granted, the original films aren't exactly top-notch, but I think I prefer those instead. This film had too much of a vibe from #5 on this list, who happened to be a producer.

So, the three films I know him by, and they weren't that great. So why is he only #7? Two reasons:
1) He doesn't have a lot of films under his belt, so I'm giving a little leniency.
2) The next 6 start a nose-dive towards complete and utter crap.

#6 - Brian Levant

Live-action children's movies. That's this guy's gimmick. I'm not even joking. And yet, most if not all of his movies are terrible.

As a kid, I did enjoy Beethoven. However, it's been over a decade since I've seen that movie. Will I still like it? I don't know. I don't really remember much of it, so I'd say it's not a game-changer, probably not memorable in the least!

As for other movies he's made...Problem Child 2 (which he directed alongside #3 on this list). The Flintstones. The Flintstones in Viva Rock Vegas. Snow Dogs. Jingle All the Way. Most of these, I've seen completely; others, I saw parts of them and couldn't finish, not even as a kid. You read that right: this guy makes movies for kids, and as a kid I didn't care for them. That's when you know you've truly screwed up!

And this is the halfway mark!

#5 - Michael Bay

Even if you're not familiar with his movies, you've probably heard he loves slow-motion and explosions. I'll tell you this: it's not an exaggeration!

So far, I've come across only one movie I've enjoyed of his: Bad Boys, his first movie. Even so, people are torn on this film. I'm definitely agreeing with them on how terrible the sequel is, though!

His other movies that I've seen, which include Armageddon, Pearl Harbor, and the Transformers series...yikes.
-Armageddon's plot is terrible; Ben Affleck, one of the main stars, even pointed that out (to which Bay told him to shut up).
-Pearl Harbor...I just find the concept of taking a historical tragic event and making it into a romance film to be distasteful (thanks for starting that trend, Titanic).
-Transformers takes Bay's love of explosions and slo-mo to the extreme, and tops it off with distasteful 'jokes'. Many have said "too much focus on the humans, not enough on the robots", and I agree!

Of all of the directors on this list, he's probably the most successful, which I find baffling. His movies are evidence that big budget =/= good movie!

Michael Bay is an underrated director - not that he's good, he isn't, he's terrible, but Hollywood pumps out this crap these days and his films are no worse than any of the rest of them. Even Spielberg has released at least two movies that are every bit as bad as a Bay film.

But, yeah, terrible director

Trouble with a capital "T"
Of Michael Bay films, I've only seen Pearl Harbor. I don't have any interest in the rest of them. If I remember Pearl Harbor was like a serialized melo-dramatic soap with the war as the backdrop. It seems I liked it OK, but nothing memorable.

Michael Bay is an auteur, but instead of leaving his fingerprint on his films, he leaves his buttprint.

Welcome to the human race...
Michael Bay is an underrated director - not that he's good, he isn't, he's terrible, but Hollywood pumps out this crap these days and his films are no worse than any of the rest of them. Even Spielberg has released at least two movies that are every bit as bad as a Bay film.

But, yeah, terrible director
The difference between Spielberg and Bay is that Spielberg has actually made several universally-acclaimed classics and thus can get away with making weak movies. Bay, on the other hand, has been consistently making sub-par films for his whole career with only a few possible exceptions - The Rock is a genuinely fun movie, even though it still feels like it could have been better in the hands of someone else. The same could be said of Bad Boys and Pain and Gain, though they are still fundamentally weak films. Compare Spielberg's first 20 years of filmmaking against Bay's first 20 years, for instance.

Also, credit to Browning for naming journeyman directors like Brian Levant amidst the more obvious targets like Shyamalan and Emmerich. A lot of these "worst director" lists tend to recycle the same high-profile names over and over and it's good to see some recognition of the filmmakers that manage to stay somewhat anonymous because they make such forgettable garbage (at least two Levant films made my "worst 100" list, so I picked up on it).

Michael Bay is an auteur, but instead of leaving his fingerprint on his films, he leaves his buttprint.
Oh geez, I'm about to die of laughter! Can't die yet - there's still 4 more to go. And since I'm here, I'll get on with #4!

#4 - Paul W.S. Anderson

Please do not confuse this director with the much-better Paul Thomas Anderson! That's a crime against cinema right there! Okay, with that said, onto the director at hand...

From what I have seen, Anderson likes making two types of movies: video game movies and horror movies. He seems to especially like it when both collide - hence, the Resident Evil series (of which, he directed 3 of the films and produced and wrote for all of them). Other movies I've seen of his were Mortal Kombat and AVP - Alien vs. Predator. Another movie you might recognize but I haven't seen is Death Race (2008 version).

I didn't really enjoy any of the movies I've seen from him, despite liking some of the things the movies were based on, which really is a shame; perhaps if they were in better hands, these movies could be decent.

To be fair, I did enjoy a couple parts from Mortal Kombat and AVP. As for the Resident Evil series...seems a bit too different from the old games I remember from my childhood...those were the nightmarish nights!

Michael Bay I totally agree he is bad but Pain & Gain and The Rock are very good in my opinion.

Paul W.S. Anderson only made one good movie and it's Event Horizon otherwise he suck.

One more for the night, since I might not be here tomorrow. On Friday, I'll see about revealing #2 and #1!

#3 - Dennis Dugan

Okay, close your eyes and think about any Adam Sandler movie. Chances are, this guy might have directed the movie you thought of! Dugan has directed at least 9 movies starring Adam Sandler, and out of those, I could probably tolerate two of them:

Happy Gilmore: Adam Sandler as an angry hockey player turned golf player. This provided some decent laughs, but was a bit over-the-top and weird in places. Still, this is probably Dugan's best.

Big Daddy: Adam Sandler adopts a kid, in a way. That's kind of a scary thought, but at least this film provided the occasional laugh.

Then there are other films this guy's made - Problem Child 1 and 2; You Don't Mess with the Zohan; Grown Ups 1 and 2; The Benchwarmers; I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry; and the worst of them all...Jack and Jill. None of these films did I find enjoyable in any sense, to the point that most of these, I just couldn't finish (but will unfortunately have to when it comes to reviewing them later).

If you like Adam Sandler movies, I won't deter you from liking them - just don't expect me to like them (though I hear Paul Thomas Anderson's Punch Drunk Love is good).

Like I said, I'll try and post #2 and #1 on Friday, and hopefully no one on here will find their movies enjoyable, because they are indeed the worst of the worst!

The Rock is a genuinely fun movie, even though it still feels like it could have been better in the hands of someone else.
The worst thing about "The Rock" was general changing his mind without any reason. One moment negated everything that happened.

Welcome to the human race...
The worst thing about "The Rock" was general changing his mind without any reason. One moment negated everything that happened.
Could you be more specific?

Also, I was flicking channels a while back and ended up catching part of an interview with Dugan where he came across as rather affable and humbled by the fact that he was a director responsible for such massive box-office successes compared against the likes of Spielberg and Cameron. It almost makes me feel bad for disliking his movies since he doesn't exactly have the greatest amount of creative control over them either, but that's the way things are.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
#9 - Joel Schumacher
The Phantom of the Opera (2004 version, one that a friend of mine and I debate on, as he enjoyed it; to each their own).
I had many issues with this one, but I won't get into any of that now. I am pretty much "Phantom" obsessed. And one thing that I have realized is that a lot of people (myself included) who have seen the stage production (I've seen it 4 times) seem to not be too crazy about the movie. The ones who tend to love the movie have never experienced it in the theater. Anyway, I was very happy when they finally decided to film the musical. I thought that Hollywood could really turn this into something great. Yet, their first mistake was having him direct it. I was so disappointed with that news. And it seemed like the movie just went downhill from there. It is such a shame, really. And it isn't like I don't like a couple of his movies (one, in particular, I love). I just think he is far better at doing films that are less of a "spectacle" (for lack of a better word).

I've seen the Broadway version of "Phantom of the Opera" with Michael Crawford, and I liked the movie version too, but my problem with the movie was the casting of Gerard Butler as The Phantom. He's a good actor, but I just didn't like his singing voice for the role.

I don't think it's still on YouTube, but there used to be a video of the movie version with the soundtrack from the Broadway version with Michael Crawford dubbed over the songs, and it was amazing.