Starring
Kyle MacLachlan
Michael Nouri
Claudia Christian
William Boyett
Clarence Feldder

The Hidden

+

Plot - A crazed individual goes on a manic spree of robbing banks and killing numerous people along the way. Given that up until recently he had been a perfectly normal citizen with nothing but a speeding ticket to his name, the whole thing seems rather unusual to detective Tom Beck (Nouri). Though he could not possibly imagine just how unusual things are going to get. When the suspect is captured and confined to a hospital bed it seems like the end of the case, until that is the man, who should technically be dead, gets up and walks over to the patient sharing his room. The patient is Jonathan Miller (Boyett). He opens the man's mouth, leans over him and all of a sudden some kind of creature begins to escape from his own mouth and into Miller's. This whole spree was not the work of any run-of-the-mill human, but an alien!!! Hot on the tail of this alien parasite is FBI agent Lloyd Gallagher (MacLachlan). When Gallagher and Nouri are partnered together on the case it's clear that Gallagher knows a lot more than he is letting on. But when Gallagher finally tells him the truth, will Beck be ready to listen?

Now this one was a LOT of fun! A real little gem of a film. And yet another film for which I owe thanks to MovieForums. Until I joined this forum I had never even heard of The Hidden, but since then I've seen it on a few top 100 lists and seem to remember Holden raving about it at one point. However the person I really owe my thanks to is Used Future. It was one of the many films that jumped out at me from his top 100 list, and that inspired a blind buy. And it was certainly worth it.

The Hidden really is quite the genre mash-up, melding together the action/thriller, buddy movie and sci-fi genres to create a massively entertaining experience; something akin to Terminator crossed with The Thing and any number of buddy cop flicks. Given that those are amongst my absolute favourite genres, this was a little slice of movie heaven for me. They come together to create a package of fast cars, sexy girls, loud music, aliens and heavy weaponry. And really, what else does a growing boy need? And I think that the film succeeds on each of these distinctive fronts. As an action/thriller it delivers lots of thrills, and that's true right from the off courtesy of a pretty awesome care chase. The chase sets the tone for the film right from the start. After he brutally slays a couple of security guards during a bank robbery, the man responsible jumps into a sleek black Ferrari. Heavy metal starts pounding from the radio as he tears off with a number of police cars in tow. They thrash around the streets of Los Angeles at high speed with lots of contact between the cars. The villain of the piece then ploughs straight into an elderly, wheelchair-bound individual and sends him flying into the air. Next up is that old classic - two men carrying a pane of glass. Except that The Hidden gives it a brutal twist. He crashes into one of the men in a disturbing manner, sending him up onto and over the roof before landing with a sickening bump. It's got to be one of more astonishing and brutal-looking pieces of stuntwork I've seen in quite a while. The race finally reaches its conclusion with the Ferrari driving head long into a hail of bullets, before eventually being turned into a large fireball. The chase lasts about five or six minutes and let's you know that the film is going to deliver a lot of thrills, but also a lot of dark comedy while keeping it firmly tongue in cheek. It may not be one of the all time great car chases, but it's certainly not a million miles away. And I'm struggling to think of any chase better to ever open up a movie. Usually if a film is going to include such a sequence it will save it and make it a real centre piece as in Bullitt or The French Connection. It's a violent, reckless thrillride executed with impressive precision. In fact here it is

The film also features a large number of big shootouts, with the film perhaps setting a record for its amount of squib work. With the alien akin to the unstoppable T-1000 it gets shot over and over again but just keeps coming, meaning that the blood is certainly flying. As an alien film it really is a lot of fun, presenting quite a unique and small-scale spin on the genre. Well small-scale in terms of it not being a full-on alien invasion flick, though I'm guessing the dozens of people killed don't necessarily consider its scale all that small. Probably as a result of the film's very modest budget we rarely get a glimpse of the alien itself. However on the rare occasions where we do get a good look at the alien it is pretty coolly realised; with good old-fashioned practical effects creating a slug/anteater like parasite with tentacles. There's a pretty awesome scene where we see the parasite transfer from one host to another in impressively schlocky fashion thanks to latex heads and puppets.

And lastly as a buddy movie it is very funny stuff, with MacLachlan and Nouri creating a nice chemistry in their oddest of odd couple pairings. Their developing relationship is nicely handled, and forms a pleasing bond. MacLachlan in particular is excellent in this, giving his character a suitably quirky and otherworldly appeal. I love the way that he plays the character so stiff and awkward, conveying that sense of having to overly control his actions as this body is so foreign to him. He's just trying to get a hold on it. Considering where he could easily have taken it, he actually delivers quite a subtle little showing. The script also gives him the chance to elicit a number of laughs, either through his deadpan delivery or some physical humour. There are a few scenes that do a nice job of showing us his unusual nature, and have us beginning to suspect that something is a little off here. He's quite an endearing creation. And opposite him, Nouri is suitably charismatic as the slick and charming Sgt. Beck, a by-the-book if occasionally hot-headed cop who finds himself on a case like nothing he's ever seen before.

Also doing a really nice job are all the people cast to portray the possessed individuals that fall victim to the alien parasite; their combined efforts creating a uniform creation. In terms of performance the star would have to be William Boyett who is a bit of a riot. His awkward, uncomfortable, lurching performance and bugging eyes really does make you believe he is inhabited by something not of this world, and certainly feels like it could easily have been the inspiration for Vincent D'Onofrio bizarre mannerisms as the alien in Men in Black. From memory I'd say they are exceptionally similar in style. While Boyett may provide the best performance, the most impactful and memorable showing certainly belongs to Claudia Christian as stripper, Brenda Lee. She is insanely sexy in this, and when we see her in a backless dress which reveals a g-string? Wow, absolutely smoking! When she becomes the latest of the alien's hosts, she makes for a very sultry vixen. The character of the alien parasite as a whole is really good fun. It seems particularly taken with flash cars, excessive violence and fast women. In fact it's very easy to see the parasite as a bit of a satirical swipe at the 'greed is good' sentiment of the 80s.

The script may not exactly be the pinnacle of humanity's literary works but is a strong work in its own right, aware of it's B-movie standing and keeping its focus on what's important. The script has some hard-boiled dialogue, a lot of funny lines and even the odd moment of unexpected intelligence and originality in regards to its plot and subject matter. It may keep things rather vague and under-developed in terms of its exposition, the motivation of the characters, the fleshing out of the whole background etc but it makes sure to keep the laughs and thrills coming along at regular intervals and creates a briskly paced experience. Such a frenetic pace ensures that you never really have a chance to linger on any of its more implausible elements. I'd say it's a similar story when it comes to Jack Sholder's direction. It's not an amazing technical achievement but it is an assured and satisfying effort. It's pleasantly shot, the action scenes are all handled impressively and as with the script he keeps the pace churning along at a frantic rate. And given the film's rather small budget he deserves a lot of credit for the fact that it never looks cheap; you'd swear it had a much larger budget than it actually did. And save for the soundtrack of 80s heavy metal the film has actually aged extremely well. Again credit to Sholder as it still looks fresh and vibrant.

If there is one sticking point I have with The Hidden, it's in its ending. After such ballsy fun and mischievous humour throughout, all of a sudden the film seems to get serious on us and the ending does feel a little downbeat and maudlin. It is a fairly satisfying ending which provides a logical conclusion and a sense of closure, but I just felt it came across as little out of place. Although I suppose I should give it some credit for subverting my expectations and not going down the typically clichéd route.

Conclusion - As I said at the start I had never seen or even heard of this film until arriving on this forum. If you're in a similar situation and think this may be up your street, then I highly recommend you tracking it down someday and giving it a watch. It's an extremely spirited film that crashes along at an unrelenting pace, embracing the sheer improbability of it all; delivering action, laughs and sex along the way. All in all just an exceptionally entertaining B-movie. And one that is quite aptly named as it really is a bit of a hidden gem. It's a film I imagine would make a really fun double-bill companion to John Carpenter's cult classic They Live. And as with Death Race 2000 I could see it perhaps becoming a really big favourite in the future.

I love The Hidden, as with Death Race 2000, it just never gets old. If you love this now, you'll probably love it 20 years from now and 20 after that, and so on. Another than maybe/should've made my own 100. I'm not surprised you enjoyed it, JD.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Interesting last couple of entries, JD. Will give Targets and Rollerball a try once I find the time for it. Like that you're going a bit more off the grid.
Thanks Brods. I can imagine you liking Targets as in general it seems to be quite a well thought of film, not sure I can quite picture you watching Rollerball though. Well I do like to mix it up a bit between the mainstream and going off the grid as you say. It's just that of late with me reviewing so many of my absolute favourites they tend to be very popular flicks.

Excellent review! And congrats on getting to the 50th page!
Thank you very much on both points mate. You're very much the gentleman.

BTW, this might be the best page of your entire thread, JD. Three of my all-time favourites and two in my top 100.
Thanks HK. Glad you enjoyed it. And I actually thought all 3 were in your top 100. Death Race and Enter the Dragon are obviously in your top 10 but I thought Rollerball made it as well.

As you didn't mention anything about them I was going to ask what you thought of my last couple of reviews but we've already established that they're always great!

I haven't seen your last couple of entries, but I really appreciate your rich reviews. They are a pleasure to read. Keep up the good writing!

It's been a while since you reviewed it, but I wanted to comment quickly on what you wrote about The Crying Game, since I just saw it.

WARNING: "The Crying Game" spoilers below
WHAT TWIST?! Now, I'm not the kind of person who likes to brag about having "seen it coming", in fact I love to be surprised, but I just find it incredible that this is regarded as a shocking turn of events. I was honestly pretty underwhelmed anyway - I found the direction and performances flat for the most part - so for me the movie was relying on this central event to make it worth sitting through. Dil was so clearly a man I just thought Fergus was an idiot for not realising and had to look up what the twist was supposed to be afterwards.

Yes, you have to remember that 10 years before that, there were people who honestly weren't sure/were surprised that Boy George was a man.
Good point. I guess we're more used to seeing that sort of thing these days.

Here's my next set of Micro Musings. Although just looking at the first one and could probably have extended it slightly into a full-on extended review. Will perhaps do that later.

Micro Musings

mirror
mirror

Year of release

Directed by
Rowdy Herrington

Starring
Patrick Swayze
Kelly Lynch
Sam Elliott
Ben Gazzara

Road House

Well finally got round to watching Road House, or Bar Fight: The Movie as it could easily be titled. That's most definitely a cult/camp rating as this is such a cheesy, stupid film. But as much as I tried I couldn't help but enjoy it. To me the film felt rather like an episode of Walker Texas Ranger, with Walker taking on the job of a bar bouncer, or 'cooler.' What I didn't realise coming into it is that Road House acts rather like a prequel to Point Break, at least in terms of Swayze's character. His Dalton feels very much like a forerunner to his surfing guru Bodhi. They share the same sort of deep, philosophical nature. Oh and some of the gems of wisdom that Swayze gets to spout - “Pain don't hurt”, “I want you to be nice...until it's time...not to be nice”, "My way....or the highway." - priceless! Even if they don't prove quite as deep as the words of Mr Miyagi. Some of the best entertainment actually comes in the form of the supporting cast. As his sensei of sorts, Sam Elliott is pretty awesome as legendary cooler, Wade Garrett. While Ben Gazzara gives a deliciously snide showing as the insanely evil Brad Wesley, the man who runs the whole town. It's certainly a film where I'd advise you to check your brain at the door if you're to get any great enjoyment out of it. The film can barely go two minutes without some kind of altercation; frequently in the shape of fun huge-scale fights, and on the rare occasion it does it throws in a bit of sex for good measure! Oh and Jasper, Missouri has got to be the worst place to live in the world! Not matter how small the infringement anytime someone gets annoyed their immediate reaction is to pull a knife on you. I did really enjoy the ending though where all the townspeople that have been wronged finally stand up for themselves and take their revenge. Resulting in what is perhaps my new favourite line in any film ever - “A polar bear fell on me.” Cheesy, hokey and pretty bad. But also a lot of fun. I'm so ashamed of myself!

mirror
mirror

Year of release

Directed by
Gordon Parks

Starring
Richard Roundtree
Moses Gunn
Charles Cioffi
Christopher St. John

Shaft

Given how iconic and supposedly influential this film is I've got to say I was really quite disappointed. Its plot is pretty mediocre, and something I'd expect could easily have been the basis for an episode of Starsky & Hutch or something similar. That could be fine if it weren't for the fact that it unfolds at a fairly snail-like pace. I felt that it only had a few really good moments spread too sparsely across its running time. The character of Shaft was pretty cool with a few great lines, and I liked his friendship of sorts with Charles Cioffi's Lieutenant Androzzi. It also ends fairly strongly with a nicely staged and executed sequence depicting an attempted rescue mission. Best thing about the film though would certainly have to be its great soundtrack, particularly its classic theme tune courtesy of Isaac Hayes. “Who's the black private dick that's a sex machine to all the chicks? SHAFT! Ya damn right!” This was my first real foray into the blaxploitation genre so perhaps I just need a bit of time to become accustomed.

mirror
mirror

Year of release

Directed by
Michael Winner

Starring
Charles Bronson
Vincent Gardenia
Hope Lange
Steven Keats

Death Wish

I'm a little bit torn on how to feel about this film, and in turn how to rate it. I certainly feel it's a rather gripping, rock solid thriller. However I was left a little uneasy over its attitude towards vigilantism, and by Bronson's character. To me anyway the film certainly seems to be immensely pro-vigilante and almost like a piece of propaganda for gun ownership. It shows such vigilante justice to be an effective crime-fighting tool and deterrent, so much so that even the police and the district attorney don't want him caught. Yes they want him to stop killing, but they still want the spectre of his presence out on the streets. I could go along with it happily for a while as a result of the attack on his wife and daughter being such a harrowing scene, but the longer it ran the more unsure I became. And it seems to make Bronson's life happier. His wife has just been killed and his daughter is in a mental hospital from the experience, but because he's killing punks he goes about humming a tune and painting his living room walls orange because it's cheery. And I found the film's final image, that of Bronson firing a finger gun at some young punks while grinning, to be really quite disturbing. I understand it may seem very similar to Dirty Harry (a film I love) but I just felt it had a different vibe about it. As for Bronson I thought he proved a suitably tough, menacing figure when the character turned vigilante, but that he struggled to convey any real emotion despite the traumatic events that happen to him.

mirror
mirror

Year of release

Directed by
Michael Winner

Starring
Charles Bronson
Jan-Michael
Vincent Keenan Wynn
Jill Ireland

The Mechanic

A solid if unremarkable thriller. The film has its moments, but they come too few and far between to really lift this to the level of must-see. It does have a few interesting facets to it though. In a move similar to The Day of the Jackal it gives a bit of an in-depth look at the preparations of a hitman. And also in a bit of an unusual move the film never puts any great effort into having us like Bronson's character. We don't see him being overly troubled by his duties, nor are his targets shown to be particularly evil and people we should gladly be rid of. Winner's direction is a mixed bag. The action scenes and any moments to be played for tension are well handled, but scenes heavy on dialogue or requiring emotion feel ham-fisted and clumsy, with neither Bronson or Vincent exactly covering themselves in glory with a couple of stilted performances, though Brosnan does at least have a strong screen presence. And even if you do see it coming it has quite a cool ending.

Ah, three films I love... And Death Wish. Actually, I don't mind Death Wish, but it's not a patch on my love for the other three.

There's certainly more fun Blaxploitation films than Shaft, in fact, Issac Hayes stars as Truck Turner and I think you'd love that, but it was the first to really breakthrough into the mainstream, helped hugely my Hayes' score, I'm sure. I'd also point out that while it could've been a basis for a Starsky & Hutch episode, no bad thing in itself, may I add, it was made four years before they hit the small screen and S&H owed a huge debt to Shaft and the genre it broke.

Surely Road House is worth another half popcorn, at least? Can you see why it's on my 100?

Here we are with my first ever Review Revisit. This is the only film so far to be reviewed twice by me. The first time was all the way back on the first page, in fact it was just my 3rd ever review. If you want to compare them to see how far I've come (or perhaps regressed ) here's the original review

mirror
mirror

Year of release

Directed by
Craig Gillespie

Written by
Nancy Oliver

Starring
Ryan Gosling
Emily Mortimer
Paul Schneider
Kelli Garner
Patricia Clarkson

Lars and the Real Girl

Plot - Lars Lindstrom (Gosling) is a reclusive individual living in a small town. Living in the garage of his brother and sister-in-law he has withdrawn from society, just about crippled by his shyness and fears. While his brother and sister-in-law do what they can to help him there doesn't seem to be much hope for him. Until he learns about 'real dolls', incredibly life like dolls available on the internet. And before you know it he has Bianca in his life, a beautiful wheelchair-bound girl from Brazil. Except that he doesn't see her as a doll. In his deluded mind she is as real as everyone else in his life.

I just adore this film. I think it's charming, funny, sweet, sad, touching and really just quite wonderful. As someone who suffers with OCD and elements of social phobia I can certainly identify and sympathise with the character of Lars, even if I am not quite as far along the spectrum as he is. I'll admit that the film perhaps isn't 100% realistic. You have to open up your mind and go along with the film and its rather fable-like nature. In the film everyone around Lars, from his brother and sister-in-law to all of the town''s residents, are encouraged to along with Lars' delusion by the local doctor. They accept Bianca as a part of the community. And while you do rather have to suspend your sense of disbelief when it comes to the idea that the whole community while go along with it just to help him, it is a very sweet, endearing, Capra-esque idea. If only the whole world could have such a progressive and supportive attitude to mental health, what a much nicer place it would be to live in. It's a beautiful example of tolerance and understanding.

Bianca acts as a blank slate for Lars, and eventually everyone else, to project their fears and feelings onto; who then interact with her in their own personal way. For Lars, Bianca helps him to tackle the lonely and reclusive nature that has overtaken his life; helping him deal with romantic feelings that he feels towards a new co-worker, as well as the pregnancy of his sister-in-law which stirs up memories and fears of abandonment and isolation as a result of his own mother dying while giving birth to him. Bianca helps him to tackle and deal with his problems, getting him to a better place. She helps to bring Lars out of his shell, making him a more confident and sociable person. It reintegrates him into the community he had become so isolated from It allows him to face and deal with the grief of his past, and gets him to a position where he might be able to have a relationship with Margo. And I have to ask the question, what exactly is so bad about that? Ok yes it may be a bit weird but who is he hurting? The world can be a f*cking tough place to live in at times, so why shouldn't you do whatever it takes to make it through? Any coping mechanism you can come up with to deal with your problems, more power to you.

The script, penned by Nancy Oliver, really has to be one of the most impressive I've come across, perfectly navigating the precarious tightrope between finding the unavoidable humour in such a situation but without taking it to the level of ridicule and mocking; and mining a real sense of heart and emotion for the characters and the situation without crossing over into mawkishness. Amazingly given its out-there concept, the film actually is quite a heart-felt experience. I even found myself coming to care for Bianca in a strange kind of way. With everyone treating her like a real person, and Lars believing it with all his heart, I kind of went along with it. And I couldn't help but enjoy and admire the fact that the film didn't opt for any big clichéd Hollywood triumph for its conclusion. It doesn't end with Lars being miraculously 'cured' of his troubles. Instead we see only the merest example of progress for Lars, offering a little brief glimmer of hope for the character. There is no guarantee whatsoever that things will work out for him, but the film gives him a chance and for that I was eternally grateful.

Film Trivia - To help Ryan Gosling to stay in character, the real doll was treated by the cast and crew like an actual person, just as is done by the characters in the movie. She was dressed privately in her own trailer, and would only 'arrive' on set for the scenes that she was in. What a diva!
Gosling's performance as the titular Lars is just amazing. He creates such a loveable character with his tender, moving performance. I just come to care for the character so much as a result of what Gosling does with him; I just want to give the guy a hug. The best decision Gosling makes is not to play anything too big. It's quite a restrained performance, not going over-the-top in terms of the character's sombre, depressed state or his quirks or his sugary sweetness. He is such a nice, respectful character you can't help but love. There are just so many lovely little moments for the character throughout. One of my favourites would have to be his nervousness and trepidation at getting ready to meet Bianca for the first time. And the fact that it's not about sex for Lars makes it all the sweeter. For Lars, and the film, it is not about sex; it's about love, intimacy and companionship.

While Ryan Gosling's performance as Lars is excellent; full of depth and pain with touches of hope coming through, in a way the real heart of the film for me comes from Emily Mortimer and Paul Schneider, as his sister-in-law and brother respectively. His brother is completely out of his depth, unsure how to handle the situation and worried about the embarrassment that Lars' condition will bring upon the family. He is also suffering from and dealing with a sense of guilt that is plaguing him that he is in some way responsible for Lars' predicament. While Emily Mortimer's character is just insanely nice, doing all she can to help Lars, even to the extent that she begins to build a bond and develop a caring for Bianca. Having to bathe and dress her, it almost acts like a dress rehearsal for her maternal instincts with her baby on the way. Though to be fair the whole ensemble work at creating a town full of likeable characters that make for a magical place. Kelli Garner is immensely sweet as Margo, Lars' awkward and dorky co-worker who is nevertheless absolutely adorable. While Patricia Clarkson is a warm, compassionate presence as Dr. Dagmar.

The film features a delightfully melodic, flighty score which feels like it is verging right on the edge of fairytale; a suitable fit for the film. And it's the same case with the film's setting. A small town, covered by a seemingly perennial snowfall, it is a charming and rather whimsical place. Somewhere you can imagine a fairytale occurring, or in this case, perhaps a slightly implausible little fable. While it perhaps may be an incorrect ideal held by this city boy, born out of too many movies and TV shows featuring small towns, I can easily imagine it to be the kind of place that would breed such a sense of community. The kind of community needed to pull off such an undertaking. And it is beautifully presented by the cinematography of Adam Kimmel. The setting really is massively important to proceedings. I really don't think there's any way the film could have worked with a sunny LA setting for example. Somehow it does make it all a strangely convincing experience.

Conclusion - This movie could have played out as an awful one-joke movie, like some extended Saturday Night Live skit. But the film is played straight, and with such warmth and charm that I can't help but to be touched and entertained by it. It is a very funny film at times, featuring a strangely touching romance and just has so much warmth and heart. Wonderful.

I have not seen Lars and the Real Girl, and given the nature of the movie I probably won't.

Now Death Wish and Shaft I have seen. And Shaft I agree completely was a big disappointment. Death Wish I did enjoy. As for the whole "pro vigilante thing" I think that is taking the movie a tad too seriously. It is an exploitation movie, I always just sat back, relaxed and tried to have fun with it. Though for flat out fun in the vigilante genre I still say The Boondock Saints reigns supreme.

Either way excellent reviews.

"Hey Look it's Masterman"
I was actually thinking of writing a review for Road House, fantastic movie.

A little sci-fi special of micro musings

Micro Musings

mirror
mirror

Year of release

Directed by
Geoff Murphy

Starring
Emilio Estevez
Mick Jagger
Rene Russo
Anthony Hopkins

Freejack

+

Here's a prime example of a film that is so bad that it's good. Or is at least approaching it. It's a really dumb, cheesy flick that does however have some interesting ideas. The cast is certainly very interesting with Mick Jagger being the standout, even if not for positive reasons. He hams it up to some extreme levels and is pretty dreadful, so much so that it's in an entertaining manner however. And I've always liked Emilio Estevez since growing up with him in the Mighty Ducks flicks. While it appears that Anthony Hopkins really couldn't give a s*it about the film! It feels like a pretty obvious money grab coming just a year after Silence of the Lambs. The film has some decent effects and production design, some entertaining chase sequences and is basically rather fun. If immensely flawed! Oh and it's got one of my favourite minor characters I've come across in a long while - a nun who is introduced wielding a shotgun, who has a cache of weapons, frequently curses and responds to an interrogation by kicking her interrogator in the groin. She's awesome!

mirror
mirror

Year of release

Directed by
Michael Anderson

Starring
Michael York
Jenny Agutter
Richard Jordan
Peter Ustinov

Logan's Run

++

Hoo boy is this a dated and hokey flick. If a film where to try really hard to spoof the 70s I don't think it could come up with something even half as effective. From the hairstyles to the costumes, to the design of the domed city it reeks of a 70s disco vibe. Oh and Box the robot! So bad but so brilliant all at once. I have to say that I struggled to really warm to the main character of Logan 5 played by Michael York. I just found him so arrogant and sleezy. Though I couldn't help but laugh at his great line, “You're beautiful. Let's have sex.” So direct. And even if the film loses a little steam when his character is introduced, Peter Ustinov gives a very endearing and amusing performance as The Old Man. Given how insanely dated it feels, for once I do think a remake might be welcome. Though I'm sure they will make it a much more action-packed affair as the film is actually surprisingly slow and low-key for most of the time. It's all so breezy and colourful though that I couldn't help but like it.

mirror
mirror

Year of release

Directed by
Charles Band

Starring
Tim Thomerson
Helen Hunt
Michael Stefani
Art LaFleur

Trancers

Another cheap, trashy slice of sci-fi, and another winner. With it's rather noirish take on the sci-fi genre it feels very much in Blade Runner/Terminator territory and is just a load of fun. It has barely any budget to its name but still comes up with some decent effects and an imaginative little story. In the lead role Thomerson is just absolutely perfect as Jack Deth, giving the character the feel of an old-school gruff private detective of the 30s or 40s. While I found the whole film to be a fun viewing experience, the undoubted star attraction was to be found in an exceptionally young Helen Hunt, looking unbelievably cute and adorable as the punk-rockish Leena. Just a lot of fun.

mirror
mirror

Year of release

Directed by
Michael Crichton

Starring
Tom Selleck
Gene Simmons
Cynthia Rhodes
Kirstie Alley

Runaway

A heavy old slice of 80s cheese right here! I mean you've got Kirstie Alley, robotic spiders, bullets that can go round corners and Gene Simmons from KISS as the bad guy - what more could you possibly want? The film came out just a couple of months after Terminator, and was just blown away! By comparison you'd imagine this is either a much older film or one with a miniscule, TV-movie budget. The script and direction are very workmanlike and uninspired, and immensely obvious. At the start of the film it is revealed that Selleck's character has a crippling fear of heights. The finale couldn't possibly play into that could it? A lot of the film, such as Selleck's robot housekeeper/makeshift wife, is pretty corny and the film as a whole is pretty poor but also kind of fun, largely helped by Tom Selleck. He is someone I've always liked so his presence is a plus. While Gene Simmons is makes for an enjoyably sleezy villain, and Kirstie Allie is a lively presence for her brief screentime.

Freejack is one of those that borders so-bad-it's-good... just the right side of the border though... cheesy and camp especially when Jagger starts with his funny dialogue delivery.

Love Logan's Run... just, well... love it. Yeah it kinda deserves a remake/update... as long is it doesn't go stupid like other Hollywood remakes recently like Total Recall etc or end up with some daft talentless actress trying to replace Agutter.

The other two I'm not keen on and I've never been a fan of Selleck either tbh.

You know I'm loving this. Runaway and Logan's Run? That's a double feature right there.

And, as this has prompted me to think of Kirstie Alley.

And a non-Runaway pic.