Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

End of Watch - 7.5/10

Not quite the movie of last year i saw a few reviews say, but very good. Much more of a "found footage" feel with the character filming everything which I think detracted a little bit, and was a little slow for the first 45 minutes. After that there was plenty action, and a nice arc with the cartel, and a scary depiction of being a cop in America.
Quite emotional at the end as well

Saving Private Ryan

Been re-visiting a lot of better known movies lately. This was one that I didn't have particularly fond memories of but seems to have got better with age. One of the best movies I've ever seen ... Surrounded by two ridiculous scenes where Spielberg tries to manufacture emotion. This may be the movie where he started trying to won Oscars rather than tell great stories. Anyway, I chose to ignore the false emotion on this occasion.

10/10

For about an hour or so it was quite funny and entertaining. I felt bored during the final half hour though, and I didn't like the ending as it was unconvincing and it kind of left a bad taste in the mouth, even though it's an animated film.

I really dug ParaNorman more then I thought I would. I thought it was a very good kids movie, and pretty good at throwing in a few twists. In particular the way many of the characters you think would be stereotypes, and then suddenly you see they have more character to them.

Whisper of the Heart

I've only started watching Japanese animation movies in the last few months but what I've noticed is that there is a huge variety of styles. To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of the fantasy elements used a lot by Miyazaki - I like those movies but don't love them. However, I love the movies that are just telling a story that could be done with live action - because the animation brings an extra element of beauty to the movies. Grave of the Fireflies was just a stunning film and now this is another one that amazed me from start to finish. Basically it's a love story for teenage girls but like so many of these films, it's so much more than that. It has an interesting story, likable characters, emotion and is visually amazing. Add to that the brilliant use of "Take Me Home, Country Roads" as a story element and the whole thing is genius.

10/10

Kikujiro

Just getting into Takeshi Kitano movies and loved Hana-bi. Unfortunately, this doesn't work for me. Seems a bit ego driven - a writer/director who thinks "hey, I'm a funny guy, I can carry a two hour comedy on my own". Was too much slapstick humour that was occasionally amusing but never really funny and what wasn't slapstick was all pretty mean spirited - just Kitano essentially being unpleasant to people.

4/10

Vertigo

So scary and suspenseful, so dark and romantic, so sad and depressing. This is a masterpiece, and I am glad I watched it at the right time.

MY GOD, DID I LOVE THIS MOVIE.

The Amazing Spiderman

Now first off I would like to say is that Spiderman really didnt need a reboot just yet. The movie seemed unnecessary and really didnt bring anything new to the franchise. This is not to say I did not enjoy the movie, the CGI was really good and the acting was good, however if they called the movie Spiderman 4 would have made more sense. I know Sam Rami was originally attached but the studio dumped him and Tobey Maguire but I feel that Tobey Maguire gave a more fragile Peter Parker.

3 out of 5.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Now first off I would like to say is that Spiderman really didnt need a reboot just yet.
I think that about 95% of this Spider-Man was superior to Rami's especially the casting of Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone.

I think that about 95% of this Spider-Man was superior to Rami's especially the casting of Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone.
Emma Stone definately but I didnt think Garfield's spiderman was as vunerable as Tobey Maguire's in the first spiderman. I believed it when Tobey Maguire was weak and bullied before he was bitten, whereas Andrew Garfield's version I seemed like he could have smashed Flash before he was even bitten. He didnt show much vunerablility to the character as Peter Parker is in the comics. I think the chemistry between Emma and Andrew was way better than Kirsten and Tobey's though.

Your friendly neighborhood film critic
Jack the Giant Slayer 7/10.

More than decent fantasy flick.

Sent from the Light Side using The Force

Hitchcock's Lifeboat = (7/10)

Strange ending and the vintage "green screen" effects were distracting.

Unregistered User

The Master (piece)

Outstanding. Amazing performances by both Phoenix and Hoffman. I honestly never expected this to be close to There will be blood but actually, i think i prefer this, just. I'll definately be going out to buy this.

9/10