Abortion; Why?

Tools    

It's not hostility. And realistically yes, it would be her fault if she tried to escape. And if she wanted to leave the country, she probably could but she hasn't. If she couldn't pay the fine she probably doesn't have enough money to support herself and her first born either. I believe that if you don't have the funds, you shouldn't have a child until you do.

No the government isn't always right but it doesn't mean they are always wrong either.

And maybe I shouldn't say I don't feel sorry for her. I do, abortion hurts really bad and its probably embarrassing for the way they probably did it and dishonoring. I would hate having my child ripped out from inside me.

But she knew the consequences, so why risk it? It's like a parent telling a child not to leave their room because they are grounded and if they do then they will have to do extra chores. It's the same concept as yours but it's how I see it more. I don't see their law as something to hurt their citizens. It's supposed to be meant to help the country thrive not hurt them.

I'm not trying to be heartless and if I lived there, I would hate it and probably want to do what she did also. But if I had another child I needed to take care of, that child is before my wants. Always.

I never suggested the government was always wrong. But you absolutely suggested the government was always right--you rhetorically asked why the government would do it if it wasn't necessary. How else can that be interpreted?

Regarding fault: apart from being at odds with what I think is a very straightforward morality, your notion of blame is definitely at odds with the legal system. If someone kidnaps you and kills you while you're trying to escape, they charge that person with murder. They don't charge them with kidnapping and forget the killing because you're supposed to listen to them once they kidnap you.

Why risk it? Why violate any unjust law? Because it's your right, and because when enough people do it, it changes. Why refuse to move to the back of the bus? Why escape from a plantation? Why throw the tea in the harbor? Why stand in front of the tank in Tiananmen Square?

Thank God all these other people didn't think this way, or oppressed people would just stay oppressed.

I'm not oppressed. China isn't gonna change until they have a population decrease. That much is obvious. I'm just saying you shouldn't risk your life when you already have one to take care of.

Semper Fooey
"You say it's "ridiculous," but compared to what? The alternative position, which ends in the absolutely insane idea that an 8-and-a-half-month-old fetus isn't a person? That's far more ridiculous than the idea that maybe human life starts before it's literally able to stare us in the face."

Compared to what is irrelevant. And you show me where in the Supreme Court decision where it says an eight and a half month is merely a fetus. Just because somebody may say that doesn't matter. Laws are in place for late term abortions in this country. If you want to tighten the rules for these rarely performed abortions in this country, fine. But that doesn't make anti an anti abortioner's extremist position life begins immediately at conception and should be a constitutionally protected person the second it happens a sensible position.

You like to talk about how religion drives the pro-life position, but it's an empty claim for two reasons. The first is that it's not an argument. Someone might be pro-choice because they hate religion for purely emotional, irrational reasons, too, but speculating about their state of mind does nothing to address their arguments. I refer you to the ad hominem fallacy, which I've had to do so often that I'm thinking of keeping a URL of the definition on my clipboard, so as to more easily refer you to it. If you're arguing the person and their motivations, and not the argument, then you're not making a good argument."

Because the argument a person cannot have an abortion the second conception happens is illogical. it only makes sense to a religious person, and specifically a person whose religion preaches that, because it is not a truth in all religons, certainly not Judaism. Look what you do. I bring up the absurdity of banning the mornimg after pill and you want to change the subject to eight and a half month abortions.

The second is that it's not literally true, anyway. I defy you to produce one disputed position or argument I've made that is grounded in religion, or only applies to someone who is religious. Go ahead.

If you want to understand why religious people are more likely to be pro-life, it's not very hard, nor is it very controversial: they're more sensitive to abstract issues of life and death, and they resist convenient pragmatisms. Their faith lends a natural emphasis to these issues. But pointing this out is like pointing out that living in California makes you more cognizant of earthquakes; it doesn't tell you anything about whether or not their resulting concerns are reasonable or not. The question is whether or not the conclusions are right or wrong, and why, not what other part of their lives causes them to look closely at the question."

Well, if it is abstract then it shouldn't be applied to the law. That is for religion to deal with, not the court system.

I'm not oppressed. China isn't gonna change until they have a population decrease. That much is obvious. I'm just saying you shouldn't risk your life when you already have one to take care of.
I know you're not oppressed. That's one of the reasons it's so easy to judge the decisions of people who are.

Opposing government oppression almost always involves risking one's life. I don't think we need to expect that only childless people be the ones that help make these societies better. And even if they should, that's still pretty different from laying the blame at their feet when it ends badly. That's just my opinion, though.

Compared to what is irrelevant.
Of course it's relevant! Law is going to exist on this, and determining which position is best is done by comparing to other possible positions. My position is not "banning abortions is super awesome and has no unsettling implications." My position is "banning abortions is necessary because the alternative is worse."

And you show me where in the Supreme Court decision where it says an eight and a half month is merely a fetus. Just because somebody may say that doesn't matter. Laws are in place for late term abortions in this country. If you want to tighten the rules for these rarely performed abortions in this country, fine.
"Somebody may say that," indeed. The problem is that the "somebody"s are on the Supreme Court.

Attempts to implement these sorts of common-sense restrictions are shot down for violating Roe. Either they get killed, or they're made toothless. You try to brush away all these questions by referring to theoretical legal principles that do not play out in reality. This might have been a better argument once upon a time, but court case after court case have shown us that it doesn't work.

And it shouldn't be hard to understand why. At some point, situations arise where you have to prioritize one over the other. You obviously can't justify killing something you regard as an infant, but to grant it equal protection, even late in the pregnancy when it clearly is an infant, undermines all the arguments about autonomy. So anything that threatens that principle gets struck down. This isn't some random development; it's baked into the nature of the law. This is why the general principles used to justify a law matter.

I know you've heard this argument, because I've said it to you more than once (here's the most recent time; you replied to part of it but ignored all the salient legal stuff). Yet here we go around the same circle, with you making the same arguments I countered before, without ever countering the counter.

But that doesn't make anti an anti abortioner's extremist position life begins immediately at conception and should be a constitutionally protected person the second it happens a sensible position.
Er, yeah, it does, actually. A position is sensible if it's a reasonable position to hold given the options involved. So you need to describe a better standard of personhood that is more fair and more coherent.

Because the argument a person cannot have an abortion the second conception happens is illogical.
It's illogical if you determine that that isn't when personhood begins. So draw another line (which you seem so tellingly loathe to do) and we'll see if that's more logical. I'll bet it isn't. I'll bet it raises far more difficult questions.

Also: what purpose do you think is served by merely making statements like this? Would you accept "no, it isn't illogical" as a response? If not, then why are you wasting time both your time and mine with it?

Look what you do. I bring up the absurdity of banning the mornimg after pill and you want to change the subject to eight and a half month abortions.
If you think this is a change in subject, then you're really not following the argument at all. You're asking about the marginal implications of being pro-life. I'm asking you about the marginal implications of being pro-choice.

Well, if it is abstract then it shouldn't be applied to the law. That is for religion to deal with, not the court system.
This is all kinds of silly. The law has to deal with abstract conceptions all the time. They're already doing it when they say that you can (theoretically) restrict late-term abortions, but not ones before that. There's, like, half a dozen reasons why this is wrong.

Semper Fooey
Of course it's relevant! Law is going to exist on this, and determining which position is best is done by comparing to other possible positions. My position is not "banning abortions is super awesome and has no unsettling implications." My position is "banning abortions is necessary because the alternative is worse."

It is irrelevant because banning all abortions at all stages has nothing to do with late term abortions. You could argue for banning all late term abortions and still allow the morning after pill.

"Somebody may say that," indeed. The problem is that the "somebody"s are on the Supreme Court.

Attempts to implement these sorts of common-sense restrictions are shot down for violating Roe. Either they get killed, or they're made toothless. You try to brush away all these questions by referring to theoretical legal principles that do not play out in reality. This might have been a better argument once upon a time, but court case after court case have shown us that it doesn't work.

That is not the Supreme Court ruling, that is your take on it. And late term abortions are rare. They happen in unusual and rare circumstances. And even if you think they should be more restrictive, fine, fight for that, but that is not you position. You want the other extreme. You are not for compromise. Yours is the absolute position, not the other side, as if you and the anti abortion crowd would be happy and go away if all late term abortions under all circumstances were banned. You and they would still be trying to ban the morning after pill.

And it shouldn't be hard to understand why. At some point, situations arise where you have to prioritize one over the other. You obviously can't justify killing something you regard as an infant, but to grant it equal protection, even late in the pregnancy when it clearly is an infant, undermines all the arguments about autonomy. So anything that threatens that principle gets struck down. This isn't some random development; it's baked into the nature of the law. This is why the general principles used to justify a law matter.

Yes, you can justify killing an unborn infant under certain circumstances. Even the anti abortion people would agree with that under certain circumstances, like if the life of the mother is at stake. What life is more important? Unless the mother is willing to sacrifice herself, most people would argue, except a minority of religious people, the mother's life is more important.

I know you've heard this argument, because I've said it to you more than once (here's the most recent time; you replied to part of it but ignored all the salient legal stuff). Yet here we go around the same circle, with you making the same arguments I countered before, without ever countering the counter.

If you want to paste in your argument, fine, but I can't be clicking links with my connection when I am replying.

Er, yeah, it does, actually. A position is sensible if it's a reasonable position to hold given the options involved. So you need to describe a better standard of personhood that is more fair and more coherent.

It isn't a reasonable position because options have nothing to do with it, if your option is it must be banned at all stages because otherwise the law would allow late term abortions. It is all or nothing. That is not reasonable.

It's illogical if you determine that that isn't when personhood begins. So draw another line (which you seem so tellingly loathe to do) and we'll see if that's more logical. I'll bet it isn't. I'll bet it raises far more difficult questions.

It is illogical because it is clearly not a person the moment conception begins. You could argue some sort of life began, but not that it is a person.

Also: what purpose do you think is served by merely making statements like this? Would you accept "no, it isn't illogical" as a response? If not, then why are you wasting time both your time and mine with it?

Because I can't believe you really believe the second after conception that is a person. You may think it is long before the law recognizes it as a living being, but not at that stage.

If you think this is a change in subject, then you're really not following the argument at all. You're asking about the marginal implications of being pro-life. I'm asking you about the marginal implications of being pro-choice.

Well, no, because pro abortion people are more flexible. There are extremists and more moderates in that camp. But anti abortion, the closest they get to moderate, is those who would make an exception for the life of the mother and rape, and the latter seems to be disappearing from the official Republican Party position.

This is all kinds of silly. The law has to deal with abstract conceptions all the time. They're already doing it when they say that you can (theoretically) restrict late-term abortions, but not ones before that. There's, like, half a dozen reasons why this is wrong.
No, restrictions on late term abortions are not abstract. It is a fact, not an abstract notion, that a late term pregnancy is close to being a person. A minute or day after conception is still very abstract. We are arguing philosophy and religion at that stage, not scientific fact.

I know you're not oppressed. That's one of the reasons it's so easy to judge the decisions of people who are.

Opposing government oppression almost always involves risking one's life. I don't think we need to expect that only childless people be the ones that help make these societies better. And even if they should, that's still pretty different from laying the blame at their feet when it ends badly. That's just my opinion, though.

Yeah I understand that and I've been thinking about the way you said it since earlier. I know that usually it takes one person to show a mass of people what's wrong with their society or anything for that matter. Such as the people you described earlier. And I understand why people in China keep trying to fight it. But if they really wanted to fight it, then they should get numbers together and show the country whats wrong. And I know it probably has to be the families that end up expecting a second child also. I just don't know how well that will work out though.

It is irrelevant because banning all abortions at all stages has nothing to do with late term abortions. You could argue for banning all late term abortions and still allow the morning after pill.
Aye, you could...provided you could formulate a coherent definition of personhood that fell somewhere inbetween conception and the third trimester. I'd like to hear that definition.

That is not the Supreme Court ruling, that is your take on it.
Really? What's your take?

And late term abortions are rare. They happen in unusual and rare circumstances.
This also describes kidnapping. I guess we don't need laws for that either. Kindly point me towards the nearest ski mask distributor.

And even if you think they should be more restrictive, fine, fight for that, but that is not you position. You want the other extreme. You are not for compromise. Yours is the absolute position, not the other side, as if you and the anti abortion crowd would be happy and go away if all late term abortions under all circumstances were banned. You and they would still be trying to ban the morning after pill.
Well, no, because pro abortion people are more flexible. There are extremists and more moderates in that camp. But anti abortion, the closest they get to moderate, is those who would make an exception for the life of the mother and rape, and the latter seems to be disappearing from the official Republican Party position.
It isn't a reasonable position because options have nothing to do with it, if your option is it must be banned at all stages because otherwise the law would allow late term abortions. It is all or nothing. That is not reasonable.
I'm grouping this first quote with two others later, because they all say the same basic thing.

What you call your "flexibility" on this issue, I call inconsistency. You are "flexible" because you're not espousing any principles or taking any stand, and you're unilaterally excluding the margins of the debate. I'm sure all sorts of difficult political issues are easy to address if you give yourself permission to just arbitrarily exclude the tough parts, even if you can't articulate any standard that justifies doing so. But you can't duct tape your ideology together with ad-hoc exceptions. And you definitely can't make law that way.

And please, spare me the modern political fetish for "compromise." Compromise is not an inherent good; it may or may not be depending on the circumstances, and arguing for compromise as its own end is empty. And it works a lot better on issues less important than life and death.

Your position is no less extreme than the one you're criticizing, you're just less willing to acknowledge its implications. The degree to which it looks less extreme is the degree to which you're willing to hand wave late-term abortions away with theoretical possibilities, even when they can't actually be put into effect with any force. Saying we can restrict late-term abortions is like telling me I can't use a plane but making it up to me by passing a law that "allows" me to fly like Superman. What good is a right we can't meaningfully exercise? What good is the right to restrict late-term abortions if you have to hopelessly contort the legislation to avoid being struck down?

Also, you haven't actually said that late-term abortions should be restricted; you've only said it's theoretically possible to restrict them. What restrictions should pro-choice people support? And how do you reconcile your answer with the fact that there are scads of pro-choice groups that work night and day to stop even the lightest of restrictions from being implemented? Do you regard them as harmful extremists, too?

Yes, you can justify killing an unborn infant under certain circumstances. Even the anti abortion people would agree with that under certain circumstances, like if the life of the mother is at stake. What life is more important? Unless the mother is willing to sacrifice herself, most people would argue, except a minority of religious people, the mother's life is more important.
It can be justified in the same way that you can justify killing someone when forced to choose between multiple lives, yes. There are no right answers under those circumstances. But that's not what I mean.

I notice you chose to respond to this one sentence and ignore the rest of the paragraph, which was the important part, probably-not-coincidentally. The argument was:
"At some point, situations arise where you have to prioritize one over the other. You obviously can't justify killing something you regard as an infant, but to grant it equal protection, even late in the pregnancy when it clearly is an infant, undermines all the arguments about autonomy. So anything that threatens that principle gets struck down. This isn't some random development; it's baked into the nature of the law. This is why the general principles used to justify a law matter."
This is the point I keep making: you want to act as if the failure to meaningfully restrict late-term abortions is some sort of incidental thing, separate from Roe and the pro-choice ideology. But it isn't. It's an inevitable consequence of the articulated principles behind it.

If you want to paste in your argument, fine, but I can't be clicking links with my connection when I am replying.
You don't have broadband? Ouch.

Regardless, I'm pretty sure the solution here is just to reply the first time.

It is illogical because it is clearly not a person the moment conception begins. You could argue some sort of life began, but not that it is a person.
Really? How do you define personhood? So far, it seems like the answer is...that you don't.

Because I can't believe you really believe the second after conception that is a person. You may think it is long before the law recognizes it as a living being, but not at that stage.
It depends on how you define a person, obviously. I obviously don't think it's identical to you or me, but I don't think it has to be.

For about the dozenth time, I challenge you to produce some other standard of personhood that can withstand scrutiny. Because I'll wager that almost all of the reasons you can give me for why a fetus isn't a person are things that either a) can clearly be removed from living, breathing adults without compromising their humanity, or b) can be said of newborn infants, as well.

This also might be beside the point, because the argument is both about what we believe, and what makes for the most sensible legal standard. Even if we were to agree, for the sake of argument, that we can't say a newly conceived child is actually a "person," that would still leave us with the issue of where to draw the line of personhood, and it would be perfectly reasonable to say that conception is the only reasonable line. It would be perfectly consistent, for example, to not be sure exactly how early a fetus is a person, but to recognize:
1) that it's clearly much earlier than is commonly implied
2) that the current standards are completely ineffectual in distinguishing in any reliable way before birth itself, and
3) that laws about protecting life should err on the side of caution above all else.
No, restrictions on late term abortions are not abstract. It is a fact, not an abstract notion, that a late term pregnancy is close to being a person.
How close? How long are you going to talk about this issue, and talk about what is and is not a person, before you actually deign to offer a position?

A minute or day after conception is still very abstract. We are arguing philosophy and religion at that stage, not scientific fact.
I don't think you're using any of these words correctly. First, I again point out to you that the law is constantly making judgments on abstract issues. Constantly. The entire concept of laws, rights, justice, whatever; they're all abstract. And by saying some restrictions on abortion are theoretically possible, they're already drawing an abstract judgment about humanity. The idea that this is outside of the purview of law is stunningly wrong.

Second, the idea that this needs to be about "scientific fact" is bizarre. Scientific fact has nothing to do with this; it can tell us when the fetus grows fingers, but it can't tell us whether or not having fingers is a good way to decide whether or not something has rights. It may inform the debate, but defining personhood is not a scientific question. And to the degree to which we do introduce science into the debate it only complicates things for the pro-choice individual, destroying the coherence of standards like "viability" and the notion that the child is not a separate biological entity.

Semper Fooey
Aye, you could...provided you could formulate a coherent definition of personhood that fell somewhere inbetween conception and the third trimester. I'd like to hear that definition.

You don't have a coherent defense that personhood begins immediately after conception and won't recognize any explanation that says otherwise, so why should I bother?

Really? What's your take?

My take doesn't matter, maybe I'm a little flexible and open to persuasion. But I am certainly not buying a morning after pill is abortion.

This also describes kidnapping. I guess we don't need laws for that either. Kindly point me towards the nearest ski mask distributor.

Healthy babies are not killed in late term abortions. Having read what those babies are like, and how they aren't going to live long, I am not comfortable trying to interfere with current laws that would allow abortions in those instances. But if you think it is a criminal act to abort severely abnormal fetuses in the late stages, that is your business.

I'm grouping this first quote with two others later, because they all say the same basic thing.

What you call your "flexibility" on this issue, I call inconsistency. You are "flexible" because you're not espousing any principles or taking any stand, and you're unilaterally excluding the margins of the debate. I'm sure all sorts of difficult political issues are easy to address if you give yourself permission to just arbitrarily exclude the tough parts, even if you can't articulate any standard that justifies doing so. But you can't duct tape your ideology together with ad-hoc exceptions. And you definitely can't make law that way.

And please, spare me the modern political fetish for "compromise." Compromise is not an inherent good; it may or may not be depending on the circumstances, and arguing for compromise as its own end is empty. And it works a lot better on issues less important than life and death.

Well then, if you reject compromise, than your criticism of the other side not conceding any ground is bizarre when you say they reject reasonable further concessions on abortions, although reasonable is questionable when it gets down to your definition of it, like laws that would prevent first trimester abortions occurring in abortion clinics.
If you want the pro abortion folks to be reasonable, your side should be reasonable as well and at the very least not classify a morning after pill as abortion.

Your position is no less extreme than the one you're criticizing, you're just less willing to acknowledge its implications. The degree to which it looks less extreme is the degree to which you're willing to hand wave late-term abortions away with theoretical possibilities, even when they can't actually be put into effect with any force. Saying we can restrict late-term abortions is like telling me I can't use a plane but making it up to me by passing a law that "allows" me to fly like Superman. What good is a right we can't meaningfully exercise? What good is the right to restrict late-term abortions if you have to hopelessly contort the legislation to avoid being struck down?

Maybe because you don't. It is restricted.

Also, you haven't actually said that late-term abortions should be restricted; you've only said it's theoretically possible to restrict them. What restrictions should pro-choice people support? And how do you reconcile your answer with the fact that there are scads of pro-choice groups that work night and day to stop even the lightest of restrictions from being implemented? Do you regard them as harmful extremists, too?

Late term abortions are restricted. They are not completely outlawed. They rarely happen and under unusual and unique circumstances.

It can be justified in the same way that you can justify killing someone when forced to choose between multiple lives, yes. There are no right answers under those circumstances. But that's not what I mean.

I notice you chose to respond to this one sentence and ignore the rest of the paragraph, which was the important part, probably-not-coincidentally. The argument was:
"At some point, situations arise where you have to prioritize one over the other. You obviously can't justify killing something you regard as an infant, but to grant it equal protection, even late in the pregnancy when it clearly is an infant, undermines all the arguments about autonomy. So anything that threatens that principle gets struck down. This isn't some random development; it's baked into the nature of the law. This is why the general principles used to justify a law matter."

This is the point I keep making: you want to act as if the failure to meaningfully restrict late-term abortions is some sort of incidental thing, separate from Roe and the pro-choice ideology. But it isn't. It's an inevitable consequence of the articulated principles behind it.

Well, it is meaningfully restricted, not just as much as you want. They rarely happen at that stage. They don't happen to healthy babies.

You don't have broadband? Ouch.

Regardless, I'm pretty sure the solution here is just to reply the first time.

Here, we go again. There are all sorts of instances where you edit my comments before you reply and leave out comments that i think are important. i don't make a big deal out of it. I rarely edit your comments before responding so, unlike you, I am not making a conscious decision to leave out your response. I usually don't find anything in those other comments anything to respond about.

Really? How do you define personhood? So far, it seems like the answer is...that you don't.

Well, I know personhood isn't a person the second after conception.

It depends on how you define a person, obviously. I obviously don't think it's identical to you or me, but I don't think it has to be.

For about the dozenth time, I challenge you to produce some other standard of personhood that can withstand scrutiny. Because I'll wager that almost all of the reasons you can give me for why a fetus isn't a person are things that either a) can clearly be removed from living, breathing adults without compromising their humanity, or b) can be said of newborn infants, as well.

This also might be beside the point, because the argument is both about what we believe, and what makes for the most sensible legal standard. Even if we were to agree, for the sake of argument, that we can't say a newly conceived child is actually a "person," that would still leave us with the issue of where to draw the line of personhood, and it would be perfectly reasonable to say that conception is the only reasonable line. It would be perfectly consistent, for example, to not be sure exactly how early a fetus is a person, but to recognize:
1) that it's clearly much earlier than is commonly implied
2) that the current standards are completely ineffectual in distinguishing in any reliable way before birth itself, and
3) that laws about protecting life should err on the side of caution above all else.
How close? How long are you going to talk about this issue, and talk about what is and is not a person, before you actually deign to offer a position?

I think banning birth control pills that may possibly not destroy the fetus before conception is being ridiculous, morning after pills are being too cautious, and laws based on that concept are nuts. It is like banning all guns because they are used to kill people.

I don't think you're using any of these words correctly. First, I again point out to you that the law is constantly making judgments on abstract issues. Constantly. The entire concept of laws, rights, justice, whatever; they're all abstract. And by saying some restrictions on abortion are theoretically possible, they're already drawing an abstract judgment about humanity. The idea that this is outside of the purview of law is stunningly wrong.

They are all abstract? I don't see that at all.

Second, the idea that this needs to be about "scientific fact" is bizarre. Scientific fact has nothing to do with this; it can tell us when the fetus grows fingers, but it can't tell us whether or not having fingers is a good way to decide whether or not something has rights. It may inform the debate, but defining personhood is not a scientific question. And to the degree to which we do introduce science into the debate it only complicates things for the pro-choice individual, destroying the coherence of standards like "viability" and the notion that the child is not a separate biological entity.
Well, if we cannot use scientific fact to determine when abortion is allowed, which is what Roe versus Wade does, then what we have left is what...religion?

I think he probably does, but I'm not sure you do. I understand it enough to know what it does and does not apply to. It is a means to describe the physical world; no more, no less.

And of course, I know how you feel about it: that it's some kind of catch-all philosophical panacea that magically supports whatever you happen to say about religion.

Shall we once again have the discussion where I explain what science actually is, and you ignore the definition and just keep using it the way you've been using it? I'll have to check my punch card, but I think I get a free sandwich next time.

Yoda, your idea that the law -- as it exists anywhere -- is 1) non-arbitrary, and 2) rigorous, is completely unreasonable. You are talking about the Good. Just one look at any book -- brick -- of law and you'll realize just what the law is: endlessly multiplying exceptions to the law itself. There is not one existent law that even attempts to be absolute. Laws emerge as pragmatic generalizations of situations, and as these generalizations interact with the actuality of situations, they ultimately must amend themselves -- endless special clauses tailored to the specificity of each new situation.

Perhaps the only lesson of philosophy is that Being does not contain absolutes in that way. Hence the endless debate and disagreement over establishing rules without counterexample.

To argue about the proper duty or conduct of the law as it is in regards to the state is an entirely different matter than arguing about whether the law in question traces out the Good.

You will not find clarity even in seemingly discrete notion of 'after conception.' For at what precise point does conception happen anyway? Is it when the first molecule of sperm in question chemically interacts with the egg? The first atom? The first string? And what constitutes 'interaction'? Is the perturbation of the fluid considered an interaction? Your final decision ultimately must be arbitrary / ad hoc.

Thus, to ask others to draw the line is unreasonable, since 1) as philosophy shows us, such rigor is impossible in the form you request it, and 2) the law never itself demands any such rigor or submits itself to any axiomatic form of justification.

Rape...not good I know. wish it didn't happen.

but still why should the baby be punished for the sins of the father? it's not the baby's fault.

put a helmet on people.
But the woman should be punished?

Semper Fooey
How is putting a helmet on people going to stop them from having sex?