Favorite Punk And Alternative Music

Tools    

Chappie doesn't like the real world
A lot of the offshoot/related categories seem to also be more related to fashion (goth, industrial etc.) than a cohesive sound or aesthetic,
Hmm. I've always thought that industrial music had a particularly cohesive sound. Even more so than punk. I haven't listen to a whole lot of goth other than The Swans and Fields of the Nephilim, whom I adore. What do you guys consider Joy Division?

By the way, I just sent Yoda a pm asking to include alternative music in the title. I'd rather be inclusive than exclusive and there are some really good bands that hang on the fringes of being punk.

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
The Sex Pistols, The Clash, The Ramones.

Hmm. I've always thought that industrial music had a particularly cohesive sound. Even more so than punk. I haven't listen to a whole lot of goth other than The Swans and Fields of the Nephilim, whom I adore. What do you guys consider Joy Division?.
Swans is sooooooo weird but amazing, I don't know what I'd call them. I would possibly call Joy Division punk but they're so much darker and moodier, like all punk is WAY UP HERE energy wise, and Joy Division are like ....**** that...which is pretty punk.

Fields Of The Nephilim are rather different, a bit goth, a bit darkwave, a bit metal/rock. Really just listen to Elizium, it's beautiful. I can't take any other goth bands seriously except Sisters Of Mercy. I guess some Cure and Siouxie and the Banshees but eh that's stretching it.

If we're including Alternative now we have to talk about this album because it's easily, without doubt, one of the best in the genre:

I haven't really heard much by them except their one song that was pretty well known-forget what it's called. I'll have to go and give them a listen.

Here's some Fields of the Nephilim:

&feature=related

I think these two are when they sounded most goth. They did sound a lot more metally on some of their tracks and I don't care for them very much. One song they have Moonchild sounds very much like Sisters of Mercy.

Hmm. I've always thought that industrial music had a particularly cohesive sound. Even more so than punk. I haven't listen to a whole lot of goth other than The Swans and Fields of the Nephilim, whom I adore. What do you guys consider Joy Division?
Could you give me some examples of the typical industrial sound? (I'm not trying to prove you wrong or anything, I'm just curious what other people think industrial music sounds like, since I don't talk to too many people about music anymore)

As an example of the lack of a cohesion I'm talking about take
and
. I don't hear much continuity between Throbbing Gristle and Nine Inch Nails but both are in their own ways typical industrial. Or take any two given songs by Foetus and chances are they'll match up in terms of attitude and humor more than genre.
and
(from the same album). Here's Genesis P. Orridge from Throbbing Gristle a few years after Subhuman:
, as well as
from the same album.

Depending on who you ask industrial will include electropop and EBM, noise, ambient, or some other sounds. It could be sad robot dance music or it could be unmelodic grinding, or an ironic parody of pop or it could even have guitar solos like some Controlled Bleeding and Ministry:

Swans are similarly all over the place, some I would say is industrial, some goth, or something else entirely.

If we're talking about goth I think my favorite is early Christian Death (especially the first album that Rikk Agnew played on -- very punk, or post punk or whatever). The vocals of that Fields of Nephilim song sound very metally compared to what I think of when I think of Goth.

Bringing it back into the realm of punk, here's some Rudimentary Peni:

Could you give me some examples of the typical industrial sound? (I'm not trying to prove you wrong or anything, I'm just curious what other people think industrial music sounds like, since I don't talk to too many people about music anymore)
Sure. Here's
and
Other examples would be
Those are some of the bands I think of when I think of Industrial. I'm fully willing to admit that I might be classifying bands as something else when I hear them and they don't have what I think of as a typical industrial sound. There's so many categories and sub-categories.

Fields of The Nephilium do have very growly vocals and some of there music has a very metal vibe to it, but it still has a very goth feel to me.

Good choice on Rudimentary Peni. I like them a lot.

Love Einsturzende Neubauten. Have you heard Abwarts? Pretty decent German Post-Punk.

Some more good punk: 45 Grave, Bobby Soxx, Swell Maps, 100 Flowers, Desperate Bicycles, Crisis.

The Fall is great. I seem to like these two songs most by play count. Just liked 'em I guess. Alright, I'm out.

&feature=related

Abwarts? Pretty decent German Post-Punk.
I had not until now. I actually find them more than pretty decent. Yeah, new band to get into to.

Here's a band that I haven't talked about yet, Chumbawamba. Damn, I loved that band and have no idea what happened to them.

Some great songs:

&feature=related

They went a little wonky even pre-TubThumping but when they were good they were brilliant.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6fFJX4OkDw
ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwVT5Ys_64E
ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vse3J5-SR3Q
ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1v3CzvQ9e_w

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Let's hear it for the Women...

ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljRhU0K-ooI&feature=related
&feature=related

ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6glW8k1qdk&feature=fvst
ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ssql3nT4zVE
&feature=related

You ready? You look ready.
Here's some punk music.

"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Second the Bad Religion obsession. They've been my favorite band for over 15 years now and are definitely one of the greatest punk bands of all time. Even after all these years No Control is still my favorite record and Suffer and Against The Grain are must haves if you're into punk. Hell I even love No Substance and The New America (albums almost universally derided by BR fans). They're one of the most intelligent and thought provoking bands in the genre and they manage to get their point across without sounding condescending or preachy. Also they put on one hell of a live show.

Some other favorites - Social Distortion, The Pogues, Hot Water music, Gaslight Anthem, Alkaline Trio, The Misfits, Pennywise, 98 Mute, The Offspring, Strung Out, Good Riddance, Operation Ivy, Rancid, The Clash, The Suicide Machines, Streetlight Manifesto, Descendents, No Motiv, The Get Up Kids and many others...