Lets Talk Football

Tools    

The People's Republic of Clogher
I'd say there are major cracks in the squad there which weren't seen when England were winning their qualifying group.

If it's as simple as Capello being too strict then the players need their arses kicked even harder than before but that might only be half the problem.

Odds on the manager getting the boot? Odds on them giving it to Harry 'triffic' Redknapp when Woy is already an experienced international manager?

EDIT - I'd forgotten about 'Arry's triffic brushes with The Law recently. Have his financial investigations been resolved? If The FA choose to ignore all Redknapp's mates in the media then Woy is the only choice. I think, anyway.

Because of my net connection, I've not been able to contribute the way I've wanted to over the last week or whatever it is. Sorry about that.

I pretty much agree with everything you said in the above post, Tacitus.

I'd like to see 'Arry get the job, just so he can fail and everyone can shut up about it. That said, I'd also really like to hear the excuses from his friends in the press for why it happened. Actually, scrap that. I can already hear them; 'Ad 'Arry 'Ad The Lads That Fabio 'Ad, 'E'd 'Ave Won It For Us.

Some interesting gossip around over the last few days.

The Independent has a story saying several of the senior England players are weighing up whether to continue at international level, (I'd have thought there wasn't much weighing up to do or that it'd even be their choice) while the FA is hoping that Capello is picked up by a club side, saving them £10m in compensation for him to leave.

If that last bit is true, then the top echelon of the FA should all resign en masse. Not for wanting to sack him, but for taking out the clause that could sack him after this World Cup. I still can't understand why they did it. If they thought he'd win us the trophy, they're mental. I already know they're clueless, but they're properly mental if they thought that'd happen.

On the same theme, The Daily Star have 'senior figures' at the FA unimpressed with Capello's claims that the England players were tired in South Africa. However, they say he'll receive £5m when he is sacked. Considering I've heard it's £12m, £5m is cheap at less than half the price.

Onto club football.

The Mirror has Man City's chairman, Garry Cook, has flown to Valencia for negotiations for David Silva.

They're also after Lazio left-back Aleksandar Kolarov, after his move to Real Madrid hit problems, according to The Daily Mail.

Harry Redknapp and Spurs chairman Daniel Levy have put a package together to try to tempt Joe Cole to Spurs and stop him going to Arsenal. So say The Mirror.

caughtoffside say that Spurs are also looking to take Michael Carrick back from United. They'll offer Roman Pavlyuchenko and/or cash other way.

The Sun have West Ham tracking Efrain Juarez, the Mexican midfielder, a fee of around £6m is mentioned.

They also say that Arsene Wenger has landed centre-back Laurent Koscielny from French club Lorient for £8.5m.

A couple of Blackburn stories. The Daily Mail has Sam Allardyce back on the trail of Mainz striker Aristide Bance, who would cost the club about £3.5m.

While the Daily Express have him also plotting a sensational swoop for Real Madrid striker Raul.

The Daily Mail have goalkeeper Richard Wright rejecting West Ham for Crystal Palace, where he'll rejoin his former Ipswich manager, George Burnley.

caughtoffside have an, obviously fake, story about Arsenal making a move for Nigel de Jong and Shaun Wright-Phillips. We all know that Wenger's not going to buy an Englishman, let alone that Englishman. The bit about De Jong could be true, though.

This one's much more plausible from givemefootball. They say that Nice striker Loic Remy has revealed an interest in joining Arsenal, although West Ham, Everton and Sunderland are thought to be the only English clubs to have made enquiries thus far. Frenchman wants to play for the 21st Ligue 1 club.

sportinglife have a rumour that's been denied by the club. They say that Spurs are lining up the purchase of Danish defender Simon Kjaer and Uruguain forward Edinson Cavani from Palermo, who have reportedly accepted a £28m bid. Unfortunately, I don't know which club has denied it, Spurs or Palermo.

There's also lots of talk about Kjaer moving to Germany, something that the player himself has commented on. According to Spox: "The Bundesliga attracts me. It's a strong league with great fans and nice stadiums, plus Germany is near Denmark.

"But I have a contract with Palermo until 2013 and I am not thinking about the transfer market.

"I have read rumours in the papers, but I am happy in Italy and I want to do well there."

The Sun reveals that Everton chairman Bill Kenwright has admitted pleading with midfielder Mikel Arteta to stay at Goodison Park. Arsenal and Manchester City are interested but Everton have opened discussions on a new contract.

They also have a story about how the pubs, supermarkets, shops, etc have lost £1.2bn with the exit of England from the World Cup.

Some more gossip from the last couple of days. Sorry for the double post.

The Mirror said that Roy Hodgeson will only take over at Liverpool if there's a guarenteed transfer kitty to spend.

They also say Joe Cole is going to decide his future in the next two weeks (that's lucky for them, isn't it? Lots of stories there.) They also say that Inter Milan are the latest team to show interest.

The Star reported that Javier Mascherano won't be going to Inter because they won't pay the £30m asking price.

The same paper says that Hull have given Jimmy Bullard permission to talk to Celtic about a loan move for the season.

The Mail say that Lazio are ready to pay £8m for Nadir Belhadj and Kevin-Prince Boateng, from Portsmouth. Considering the financial trouble they're in, if this is true, they're as good as gone.

Everton manager David Moyes wants to sign Landon Donovan on a permenant deal, so say The Express.

On Sunday, the News Of The World had a story saying that James Milner will hand in a written transfer request if Aston Villa blocked the £28m bid for him from Man City. My guess is, after this World Cup, Villa will do well to leave City's hand intact after accepting the bid.

caughtoffside had Chelsea looking at Ajax striker Luis Suarez. AC Milan, United and Juve were also mentioned in passing glances at the £22m-rated player.

The NOTW also had a story telling us that Spurs have 'joined the race' to sign Luis Fabiano, who's said to be worth £20m of anyone's money. The 'race', according to them is between Spurs, Chelsea, United, City and AC Milan, though the player himself said the following, reported in the Sunday Star:

“I have a real chance of winning a World Cup here in South Africa and that is what I must stay focused on, even though I know my future has to be sorted soon.

"I have made it clear that I will not be signing a new contract with Sevilla and at 29 I now need to join a club where I can start challenging for the highest honours from the first season.

“I have heard Tottenham Hotspur made an inquiry about me but, with all respect, that is not somewhere I am going to be able to win the Premier League or the European Cup in the next three or four years.

“There would be no point in me joining Tottenham. I might as well stay at Sevilla, as it's the same thing. Sevilla are actually bigger when you look at how much we have been in the European Cup, so there would be no point me moving to a smaller team.

“The choice will come down to Manchester United and AC Milan. That is the sort of team I want to be signing for, one of the true giants of Europe.

“As soon as the World Cup is over I will make a quick decision on my future and while it is going on, I hope Sevilla can open discussions. I have enjoyed my time here but I now need to be at a giant.”

The NOTW also had a story which said a team mate of Alexis Sanchez, the Chile and Udinese winger, has told him he's got his heart set on a move to Manchester United. Personally, I think I'd like that more than Fabiano coming to Old Trafford. I think that's the kind of player we need, more than an out and out striker. That's if we keep playing the formation we have been.

The Sunday Mirror has Tuncay as a £4m transfer target for Schalke. Sunderland and Blackburn are also interested, according to the paper.

Fulham are said to be interested in Robert Green, now that Mark Schwarzer (despite my disbelief) is going to Arsenal. That, again, was from the NOTW.

William Gallas has, apparently, rejected a move to Juventus and is now deciding between Panathinaikos and Paris St Germain. That's the Sunday Mirror again. (Yay! I knew PSG would be around this transfer. Experienced, formerly world class French defender at the end of his career? Got to go to PSG doesn't he?)

Semper Fooey
I thought this thread was going to be about real football, not soccer.

Thanks for the transfer gossip HK. I lol'd at that story about Allardyce possibly signing Raùl. That's trolling on newspaper level .

And also funny how Fabiano dissed Tottenham.

In the meantime, Germany are edging closer and closer to making me a very happy camper. GO GERMANS, MAKE ME RICH .

However, Villa and Higuain are ruining my bet on Fabiano to be the tournament's topscorer. Spain and Argentina need to get kicked out in the QF or Fabiano needs to explode against Holland.

Haha, nah it's not all about the money. I would love for Argentina to blaze their way into the final. Germany is a nightmare for them though and their defence has been shaky at best. Messi is going to have to be world class.

Also, tonight, we've lost the best body of the world cup. On your bike now Cristiano. I'm looking forward to those holiday pics of yours. And that's enough homo-erotic comments for one night.

I thought this thread was going to be about real football, not soccer.
It is about real football.

BTW, has Yoda made a degree that an American makes a post like the one I quoted every page for this thread?

Personally, I'm looking forward to the Argies taking Germany apart in the Quarter Finals. If England had turned up (and defended like... well, professional defenders) England would've been good enough to beat Germany, whether they would've or not is a different matter, but they are good enough. The Argentina team should destroy them. I can't see where you're coming from, Brod. The German forwards, good as they are, don't have much movement (which was my hope when they played England. Had we only defended) and Demichelis is an accident waiting to happen, IMO, but the movement and pace of Messi, Higuain and Tevez should be more than enough to break the German defence down. They have Mertesacker in central defence for goodness sake. The only player I'd worry about in the German first 11 is Ozil, as I did when England played them. He looks really tricky and creative. I'd love to see him come to United.

I'm really looking forward to the Quarter Finals. This is when the World Cup starts to get really interesting.

I don't read every single word in this thread so I'm not sure if some of this has already been mentioned or not. The officiating in Soccer is terrible. I just heard today that FIFA is going to try to implement some instant replay to help with calls during the games and that's all fine and dandy, but the level of officiating is a complete disaster.

I get it, it's always been this way. I'm not completely new to this sport. My Father was taking me to Soccer games here in the US before I was a teenager. And it was the same then too. One referee in the middle of the field is not enough. This sport like all others has gotten faster. There should be at least two more men on the field and the line judges should have more power to make calls instead of always deferring to the head referee. I've seen countless times when the head Ref is well over 50 feet away and the line judge is right there and yet it is ALWAYS the head ref that makes the calls. Hence the totally terrible calls on plays he couldn't possibly see clearly.

Purists I'm sure are all worried that if more Ref's and instant replay are instituted that the great game will slow down and not be the same. I can assure you that as a man who has watched many different sports his entire life; all the major sports evolve and change with the times. Soccer has not.

You can write me off and say that this is just the way it is And maybe you're right. If that's the case though I can tell you for a fact that the US will never take this sport seriously. This is supposed to be the absolute best of the best and if an American athlete is playing a game where he feels like he isn't getting a fair shake, he won't keep playing. Or, more likely, he will never begin to play the game to begin with.

Anyway, just some musings that I've been kicking around in my head for the last few days. I'm actually pretty surprised that none of you Brits said anything about the horrible call that cost your team a goal in your loss to Germany. I haven't actually seen the play or call but I heard on the radio that is was a pretty bad call. This is kind of what I'm talking about. This should be unacceptable and yet most everyone seems to just shrug and say, "It is what it is." It shouldn't be this way.

Mr Water - I'm sure that the Scottish Brits, the Welsh Brits and those Brits in N Ireland who want to be Brits (and those who aren't and don't) were crying tears of laughter when Lampard's goal was disallowed.

It's an Empire thing.

HK - The rumours appear to be starting this morning that The FA will hang onto Capello. If it saves you lot from Redknapp then I'm happy - there's something about Droopy that grates with me, always has, and his appearances at the WC have done nothing to change that. "Those little foreign lads done well even if they don't fancy the golf" etc etc

He's as bad as Shearer and Alan "Apartheid was fundamentally flawed ... but now they've got the World Cup" Hanson.

The one big thing (apart from having a squad who either aren't good enough or haven't the nous to take direction) that has shown Capello up in the tournament has been tactical inflexibility. We can argue about the merits of 4-4-2 in 2010 but he didn't seem willing to try anything else and rebutted any questions about it with a "Well, I've always won stuff with it in the past".

He's mentioned Jack Rodwell from Everton and Wilshire (who looks like he might have the talent that Walcott has never shown with none of the hype) at Arsenal as players he'd like to develop and hopefully they're going to at least be able to retain basic possession.

That's two, anyway.

EDIT - I heard something on the Guardian podcast a few days ago which struck a chord, about Rodwell. Apparently Moyes has been saying that he sees young Jack as a centre half in the future when he gets a bit more experience and the Guardian hack was asking 'why?'

Why not let him develop as a brick-s**thouse midfielder?

The example of Heskey was rolled out - He was a skinny and skilful young winger when he started at Leicester and somewhere along the line he was told that someone of his height should be a centre forward so get into the gym, son.

The likes of Garry Barry started off as a skilful central defender and what happened? Instead of developing into a latter day Bobby Moore he's been turned into a midfielder (because defenders don't really need to pass, do they?) who's patently not good enough at the highest level.

It's a talking point, anyway.

EDIT II - Would, for example, the 5' 9" Cannavaro have become one of the finest players of his generation if he'd been English? You're no centre half, son, you're a tricky winger. For Scarborough.

Triffic.

I don't read every single word in this thread so I'm not sure if some of this has already been mentioned or not. The officiating in Soccer is terrible. I just heard today that FIFA is going to try to implement some instant replay to help with calls during the games and that's all fine and dandy, but the level of officiating is a complete disaster.
The officiating in football is as you say, often terrible, but football is completely unique in comparison to American sports, insofar as there are no breaks between 'plays', none of those crappy time-outs (super-efficient for teams and TV stations alike - what the former gets in tactical advice the latter gets in even more advertising revenue), and a limit of three substitutions.

It has taken a disastrous decision on the big stage to call Blatter's 'human error' ideology into disrepute. I am one of the few that does not support the introduction of video replays, not just because I tend to think the opposite of whatever that melt Alan Shearer says in his so-called 'punditry', but for the fact that even after consulting the technology many decisions remain unclear. Furthermore, i'm afraid it may open up a can of worms and ask more questions than it answers - Where do you draw the line? How does the game start again? And so on.

I get it, it's always been this way. I'm not completely new to this sport. My Father was taking me to Soccer games here in the US before I was a teenager. And it was the same then too. One referee in the middle of the field is not enough. This sport like all others has gotten faster. There should be at least two more men on the field and the line judges should have more power to make calls instead of always deferring to the head referee. I've seen countless times when the head Ref is well over 50 feet away and the line judge is right there and yet it is ALWAYS the head ref that makes the calls. Hence the totally terrible calls on plays he couldn't possibly see clearly.
The linesmen do not 'always' defer to the referee. Any good referee will trust his linesmen, but if he has seen an incident which he believes one of his linesmen has misjudged, he has the power to overrule him. I can assure you though, this very rarely happens in the EPL, La Liga or Serie A.

Purists I'm sure are all worried that if more Ref's and instant replay are instituted that the great game will slow down and not be the same. I can assure you that as a man who has watched many different sports his entire life; all the major sports evolve and change with the times. Soccer has not.
I hate as much as the next man driving home from Spurs bemoaning yet another horrendous decision, but although it is a little fanciful, i'd like to think this stuff evens itself out. Lord knows i've seen us get some luck down the years, most of those memories come in the contentious-at-best days of Didier Zokora and the invisible sniper. Then again i've seen us screwed by Howard Webb on many an occassion (he happens to be the English representative at this year's World Cup - digressing a little, for anyone watching BBC or ITV, isn't it embarrassing how Webb is being hoisted up as the saviour of national pride during this tournament?). This however is what makes us listen to the incessent droolings of the MOTD team of Saturday evenings and the leeches of the British tabloids on Sunday mornings. And video replays or not, I can assure you, this would not stop.

You can write me off and say that this is just the way it is And maybe you're right. If that's the case though I can tell you for a fact that the US will never take this sport seriously. This is supposed to be the absolute best of the best and if an American athlete is playing a game where he feels like he isn't getting a fair shake, he won't keep playing. Or, more likely, he will never begin to play the game to begin with.
I don't understand this statement. Are you honestly telling me that the reason Americans do not take up 'soccer' (urgh!) is because they may be the recipient of a few bad decisions? Football is the most popular sport in the world, and also the greatest, if only because all you need to play is a foot and a ball (this can be anything from a rolled up sock to that stupid Jubilani - and believe me I have played with it - as a good friend of mine so beautifully puts it; it is like shagging a drunk bird, bang it and hope for some movement).

I seriously don't know why football hasn't taken off in the States. Some often specualte it is because American sponsors could not handle the prospect of 45 minutes without commercials, but I refuse to believe it's this simple. It is something more deep-rooted and underlying in the sporting evolution of the United States - what that is, i'm not sure - but it certainly does not come down to refereeing decisions.

Anyway, just some musings that I've been kicking around in my head for the last few days. I'm actually pretty surprised that none of you Brits said anything about the horrible call that cost your team a goal in your loss to Germany. I haven't actually seen the play or call but I heard on the radio that is was a pretty bad call. This is kind of what I'm talking about. This should be unacceptable and yet most everyone seems to just shrug and say, "It is what it is." It shouldn't be this way.
I think we would kick up more of a fuss if we deserved anything from the game but truth be told, we were utter dogshit. Terry and Upson would be dropped from a pub side after such an inept display (apparently they still don't understand the concept of one tight, one spare at goalkicks), Johnson runs like a mong and does not play much better than one either, Cashley has been more eager at Faces on a Saturday night, Fat Frank is as mobile as an ocean liner, Barry is so slow the cameraman actually has to stop to allow him to catch up, Gerrard hasn't had a decent game in yonks and Rooney couldn't score in a brothel. Plus i've always been a club before country man when it comes to football, so I was not too fussed whatever the outcome.

I think we English aren't fanciful enough to imagine that if the disallowed goal were allowed then we could've won. Even if we did it would've just extended the agony.

On the technology/video replay thing, I'd just like to see goal line electronics so the ref could know whether the ball was over the line of not. Anything more than that , well where would you end? would you have video replays of every single contentious incident? everytime players disagreed with anything? everything would be up for questioning then and imo would stunt the game of footie. Like Fenwick says what goes around comes around. I saw a German fan saying he'd waited 44 years for the revenge of having Geoff Hurst's dodgy goal allowed in the 1966 World Cup Final so that's how long (and longer!) people will wait to have their karmic moment!

Besides what would we have to talk about in the pub if all the decisions were amended correctly!

to add to Hon's team lowdowns Everton have had a £900,000 bid accepted for Strasbourg striker Magaye Gueye and are also interested in Germany defender Arne Friedrich.

Moysie also wants to hold onto Jags.

I think we English aren't fanciful enough to imagine that if the disallowed goal were allowed then we could've won. Even if we did it would've just extended the agony.

On the technology/video replay thing, I'd just like to see goal line electronics so the ref could know whether the ball was over the line of not. Anything more than that , well where would you end? would you have video replays of every single contentious incident? everytime players disagreed with anything? everything would be up for questioning then and imo would stunt the game of footie. Like Fenwick says what goes around comes around. I saw a German fan saying he'd waited 44 years for the revenge of having Geoff Hurst's dodgy goal allowed in the 1966 World Cup Final so that's how long (and longer!) people will wait to have their karmic moment!

Besides what would we have to talk about in the pub if all the decisions were amended correctly!
Imagine how different it would all be if we finished top of the group, shaded past Uruguay and Ghana, only to fall apart against the first truly world-class outfit we come up against in the Semi. They'd all be welcomed back as heroes rather than the 'disgrace' such rags as the Star and the Currant Bun have thusly branded them.

If we're talking transfer news, I wonder if City's two signings have been mentioned here. They've confirmed David Silva from Valencia and the wheels to bring Yaya Toure to Eastlands are in motion as well. A couple of very good players that will no doubt imrpove them (where this leaves players like De Jong, Barry and Johnson though, who knows). I fear it's only a matter of time before their money hoists them above Spurs . Hopefully England stick with Capello and stay away from Bent 'Arry (a nickname derived from his East London, cock-er-nee accent and dodgy-dealing antics - come to think of it, his recent tax problems may cause the FA to think twice before approaching him), and Levy can pull a signing or two out the bag. That might keep City off our backs for a while and get us into the CL group stages.

The officiating in football is as you say, often terrible, but football is completely unique in comparison to American sports, insofar as there are no breaks between 'plays', none of those crappy time-outs (super-efficient for teams and TV stations alike - what the former gets in tactical advice the latter gets in even more advertising revenue), and a limit of three substitutions.
And I completely understand what you're saying here and the comparisons and differences to American sports are invariably one of the first things that pop up in these types of discussions. I happen to like Soc... (sorry, I'll try to refer to the game as Football when in this thread, I constantly forget) the way it is. And it has been played here in the States for many, many years. And many of the games are also on TV. And I'm sure that many of the advertisers would love to be able to somehow rake in some cash by having more commercial breaks, but, as I'm sure you've noticed over the years the advertisers have also found many other ways around this already with the numerous logos on gear and the many other banners and the like plastered every where that the eye can see.

It has taken a disastrous decision on the big stage to call Blatter's 'human error' ideology into disrepute. I am one of the few that does not support the introduction of video replays, not just because I tend to think the opposite of whatever that melt Alan Shearer says in his so-called 'punditry', but for the fact that even after consulting the technology many decisions remain unclear. Furthermore, i'm afraid it may open up a can of worms and ask more questions than it answers - Where do you draw the line? How does the game start again? And so on.
I actually agree with you. I think the game would benefit from simply adding two or possibly three more ref's on the field. This way you wouldn't need to stop play in order to go to a booth to review a play. A game that has no timeouts should never be stopped. They could simply huddle together briefly and come a decision. The game, I'm sure most would agree has gotten exponentially faster in the last thirty years, just as all sports and athletes have. And I feel that they just need more eyes out there.

The linesmen do not 'always' defer to the referee. Any good referee will trust his linesmen, but if he has seen an incident which he believes one of his linesmen has misjudged, he has the power to overrule him. I can assure you though, this very rarely happens in the EPL, La Liga or Serie A.
I realize I'm generalizing a bit when I made that statement but it does happen a lot. And that is not a generalization. I haven't even gotten to see that many games this year and I've already seen it numerous times.

I hate as much as the next man driving home from Spurs bemoaning yet another horrendous decision, but although it is a little fanciful, i'd like to think this stuff evens itself out.
Does it really even out though? And is that really how you always want to think about what is supposed to be the grandest game ever played? "Oh, well, we got screwed tonight... but next time that ref owes us one and it will be the other guys that get screwed!" For a game that is supposed to be played at the highest level and is supposed to have the worlds best athletes playing it. I just can't believe that this is an acceptable attitude.

I don't understand this statement. Are you honestly telling me that the reason Americans do not take up 'soccer' (urgh!) is because they may be the recipient of a few bad decisions? Football is the most popular sport in the world, and also the greatest, if only because all you need to play is a foot and a ball (this can be anything from a rolled up sock to that stupid Jubilani - and believe me I have played with it - as a good friend of mine so beautifully puts it; it is like shagging a drunk bird, bang it and hope for some movement).

I seriously don't know why football hasn't taken off in the States. Some often specualte it is because American sponsors could not handle the prospect of 45 minutes without commercials, but I refuse to believe it's this simple. It is something more deep-rooted and underlying in the sporting evolution of the United States - what that is, i'm not sure - but it certainly does not come down to refereeing decisions.
No, of course not. But it is a factor in why a lot of Americans can't take the game seriously. Nothing more. A lot of things factor in as to why we don't do well in this game. The number one reason of course is, our best athletes simply play other sports. Sure, we have a few nice looking players sprinkled around the world as I know many of you already know. But I assure you. These are not America's top athletes. The game itself is alive and sometimes well here in the US. I mean, its not all bad, we did qualify for the World Cup and even made it to the round of 16. In the end it will just take the same thing it took for all the rest of the major sports in this country to really become big players. Money. We do have a few leagues here that have steadily built a following and some are even making money. But, until some really rich people are willing to bank roll the sport here in the States and are willing to pay out ridiculous sums of cash like athletes can get in the other four major sports that are played here the game will continue to struggle here.

Well sure, but was it an absolute atrocious call or not? I'm not saying your team would have won the game, I'm simply saying that I find it unbelievable that its acceptable to have this level off officiating at the games highest level.

Well, to be honest. I don't expect the call to all be made perfectly and for them to always be "right". Sometimes there isn't a "right" call. And this is the reason that our sports have continued to grow and the rule books get amended year in and year out. And believe me there is replay here in American Football and they still get it wrong and there is still much to talk about.

Anywho... So is Brazil like an immortal lock now that Portugal is out or what?

Not much to argue with there PW.

As for Brazil being a lock for the thing now, well, they are certainly one of the favourites. They do not have the talent they have had in previous years, even their most feared attacking player Kaka seems to have lost a yard, but as a defensive unit they are stronger than ever. The two deep-lying holding players, Gilberto Silva and Felipe Melo, know their jobs, to seek, destroy and keep things ticking over, they have a monster of a right-back, their best since Cafu in Maicon and who I believe is the best centre-half around right now, man mountain Lucio. It'll be interesting to see Dunga's well-drilled system work against Spain who are the best passing side at the tournament. My money is on Brazil if they meet, just because Xavi and Iniesta will find it difficult to break down Brazil's defensive shield when they inevitably try to play down the middle. If they get it wide to their overlapping fullbacks Ramos and Capdevilla, and to David Villa's feet as often as possible they have a chance, but of course this'll leave Maicon and Bastos room to raid, so it'll be an interesting game were it to come up.

The other favourites are Argentina, who seem to have a footballing philosphy that appeals, we'll just score more than you do. I don't think they have really been tested defensively at this tournament but with players like Messi, Higuain and Tevez, players that keep out the CL-winning Milito and Maradona's son-in-law Aguero, they are definitely the ones to watch and have as much chance as Brazil and Spain.

Today is a celebration of how entertaining football can be and how players can play for their teams with passion and guts, it's what the world cup is all about - excellent!!

I wish I had bothered putting my sneaky tenner on the Dutch back when I suggested it.

Dirk Kuyt's fantastic, isn't he? No discernible skill but will bound around the pitch all day, chasing the ball like a big friendly Labrador. I giggled like a little girl after he beat two men and found himself one-on-one with the keeper - I doubt if he's ever done that before in all his long years as a striker - before panic set in, everything went slow motion and then turned bad.

You probably need someone like that when your skilful guys are made of glass, though.

That made me laugh as well, Tac. He was terrific otherwise though as you say.

On a completely different note, ITV should be banned from showing live football. The Ghana wankathon yesterday was utterly embarassing and had me routing for Uruguay from the off. Chiles should have stuck with dredgy single-mum tele like The One Show but apparently his teddy-bear persona on MOTD-lite was enough to give him head chair come World Cup time. Desailly remains the only discernible highlight of their shambolic World Cup coverage which started by showing adverts instead of Gerrard's goal against the US, and if it was even possible, has got worse ever since.

Secondly, apparently FIFA may take retrospective action against Suarez for the last-minute handball against Ghana. Putting aside the fact that it was a brilliant reaction save, he has already been punished by the letter of the law. It was a deliberate handball, he got sent off, Ghana got a penalty, he receives a one match ban. If Gyan had scored, there would be no such hulabaloo, and if FIFA start adapting the rulebook based on what happens next, the gravity of the situation, how much everyone 'apparently' wanted Ghana to win, then it'll be a bit of a pandora's box.

I've heard lots of talk this morning saying Suarez 'cheated'. He didn't. You're only cheating if you get away with it. And some are also up in arms about his celebration when Gyan missed - a little gamesmanship granted, but his tiny country has progressed to the Semi's of the biggest sporting tournament in the world for the first time in 40 years. I have no qualms with him celebrating and I assure you he will be greeted with a heroes welcome back in Montevideo, as would he if he was an Englishman and did it for us. As the captain of a semi-pro side myself, I would expect each and everyone of my players to do the same as Suarez.

Yeah, I started off the WC thinking that ITV had the best anchor because I find Chiles infinitely preferable to Lineker. Still do, but his Everyman shtick is starting to wear thin and, like you say, I don't react well being told who to support in a football match, especially by that idiot Tyldsley.

Desailly is great, though. He's got a boyish enthusiasm and lack of self-awareness which is infectious.

ITV get let down by their supporting cast - Townsend is appallingly naff and he somehow has taken on the role of chief pundit. Ever since Ferguson gave him a nervous breakdown when he was at Newcastle, Keggy Keegle hasn't been the same fella. Before then he was kinda an English Desailly when interviewed but now he's just a bloke with one too many buttons undone on his shirt.

Southgate is maybe a bit over-earnest but at least he gives the impression that he thinks before he speaks while Edger Davids just looks like he wants to punch the lot of them in the face. Understandable sitting next to Townsend, I suppose...

The BBC have clearly spent a lot more (of our) money on the tournament and it shows. Their pre and post match analysis is probably even worse than ITV's but I'm liking Seedorf a lot - get him on MOTD instead of bloody Shearer. It'd be nice to have someone on there who hasn't played with (and thus isn't gonna be overtly critical of) a load of the current pros. Hanson used to be head and shoulders above other pundits but he's been sleepwalking for years.

As an aside, if a professional footballer didn't do exactly what Suarez did in that situation he shouldn't be wearing the shirt. If it had been against, say, Holland then there would have been no outcry. The side were punished on the pitch and he's been punished by missing the semi. End of.

I've placed a bet yesterday on Germany to reach the final.
I would love for Argentina to blaze their way into the final. Germany is a nightmare for them though and their defence has been shaky at best. Messi is going to have to be world class.
That was the worst defence I've seen from a top team since France in the group stage. You can't even call that defending. Just a bunch of guys in blue and white shirts running back. All of the German goals were avoidable through solid defending. Demichelis just looked at Muller when he gave a pass to Podolski.

I'm sorry that I didn't elaborate on why I said that, HK. I think Germany is a nightmare for any team. They are just a super-efficient team with a very sober playing style and dispose of imo the man of the tournament: Bastian Schweingsteiger. No frills, no dribbling 30 players at a time. You give them a good chance: they score. And then the nightmare begins, because despite the fact that they don't have super big names in their defence, you can hardly score against them. They defend and attack as a team. And they are going to make me a handy sum of money, when they defeat Spain/Paraguay in the semi's and then Holland/Uruguay in the finals.