Lost (Possible Spoilers)

Tools    

The Adventure Starts Here!
The polar bears were explained around season 3. They were brought to the island by the Dharma Initiative (originally in cages on the other island nearby) for experimentation. These are the same cages we saw Sawyer and Kate locked up in -- which is right about when and how we found out about the polar bears and how they got there.

Equi ... I assume Widmore wanted the island either for its curiosity factor (much as Dharma was studying it to try to harness its properties -- a desire that goes back as far as the MiB telling Jacob he and the other smart guys were figuring out how to get to the light pocket underneath by digging various wells)...

...OR he just wanted the power that came with protecting the island or being near that light or whatever. I guess I assumed there would be plenty of reasons to WANT the secrets of the island, which is why there needs to be someone protecting it at all times from people a lot like him (and his freighter people).

But whidmore was originally an "other" He was banished for wanting to protect the island was he not? Also what exactly is the island capable of doing? The light doesnt seem to be doing much of anything except attracting metal objects...turning the wheel moves the island (though we dont know how or why) and MiB thinks that he could harness the power in order to leave..(again this is never explained).

Who can forget you, Spid3y?

Good to see you back around!

And I agree - Brilliant stuff.

Thanks buddy

I think he wanted to live forever like Richard.

Carlton Cuse Talks About ABC’s Intention To Keep The LOST Franchise Alive

CARLTON CUSE: Most of these things are very narrative driven for us and it’s a hard thing to try to articulate specifically when we want the audience to understand that every small little niggling question will be impossible to answer watching the show. Our goals as storyteller were to tackle the big questions and try to bring the story to a satisfactory resolution. But if you’re wondering who’s the guy is, etc, you’re not gonna get that answer in the series. The story we were telling in Lost, we planned to end on May 23rd, we have no plan to do any kind of sequel or spin off, anything. We set out to tell the story of the most significant thing that happened. Telling the story was our ability to negotiate with ABC in the 3rd season of the show. Now we’re bringing the story that we plan to tell to a conclusion. Now that said, we’ve also acknowledged that we’re not the owners of Lost. It is owned by the Walt Disney company and it is an incredibly valuable franchise. Worth billions as opposed to millions of dollars. And we completely understand that the Disney company will choose to continue to make money under the Lost franchise at some future point…

Neutral Milk Hotel
Regardless of any sequel/spinoff Disney attempts to make in the future, I'm not too worried about the integrity of the original series being compromised. I think anyone familiar with the show, and its rabid fan base, is aware of the expectations that go along with it.

That being said, I would not be opposed to new Lost material, as long as it does not focus around the 815ers. References here and there, or a few throwback moments are fine, but I agree with Carlton, that story is finished.
That does bring to question where the story could really go from there though.

The feeling of mystery would be gone if the story were to pick up where Ben and Hurley left off (I don't think that would happen though, in light of the epilogue on the DVD). So, the real question is: How do you create more mystery? It seems like any new Lost story would have to either take place before Jacob and MIb, or after Hurley and Ben. I suppose the Dharma story could be taken somewhere further, so long as the main focus was on the intention and experiments of the initiative, and not the Island itself.

Then there's always the idea of having anything new to Lost be a re-imagining more so than a spin off or continuation. Not a re-imagining of the 815 story, maybe just a complete overhaul. Example: No Island, different characters, different mysteries, but the same question "where are we?". That has the potential to be interesting, but also has the potential to fall flat on it's face if new writers were to screw up.

To me though, no movie or show is sacred. A bad sequel doesn't ruin an original like a lot of people seem to say. So I will have an open mind for any new Lost. If it's good, awesome. If not, I'd just shrug my shoulders and say "oh well".
" I see in your eyes, the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of men fails, whe we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. May and hour of wolves and shattered shields before the age of men comes crashing down, but it is not this day! This day we Fight! For all that you hold dear on this good earth, I bid you stand men of the west!!"
-Aragorn: The Lord of the Rings the Return of the King

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
But whidmore was originally an "other" He was banished for wanting to protect the island was he not? Also what exactly is the island capable of doing? The light doesnt seem to be doing much of anything except attracting metal objects...turning the wheel moves the island (though we dont know how or why) and MiB thinks that he could harness the power in order to leave..(again this is never explained).
He was banished from BEN, a guy who never met Jacob and did everything in his own agenda. Widmore and Ben were always butting heads, but Ben got the upper hand.

Turning the wheel makes the island unstuck in time. The wheel was put in the harness the power of the golden pond or whatever and the person who moves it is transported off the island and into Tunisia. This is evident from Ben and Locke. So it seems that MIB wanted to turn the wheel and be transported as well.

The polar bears were used for experiments in the Hydra cages. But IMO they were also used by the D.I. to turn the wheel to see what it would do. Remember when we got the flashback stories of the Freighter folks and Charlotte was in Tunisia and she found polar bear skeletons with the DI symbol attached?

Suspect's Reviews

Pretty impressive memory muscle you have there TUS. I don't recall that at all. I will be on the lookout for it the next time I watch the series however.

Now that I've seen season 6 I'll just add this little note: That's it? I waited six years for that? Okay then.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Lost was always character driven, but I think Lost fans fall into two different categories, people who care more about the characters and people who care more about the mythology. I think I belong to the later. The smoke monster, Jacob, the Dharma Inititave, the island, etc.

I feel that they did a great job wrapping up the characters, there was a lot of emotional closure - and I loved it in that sense, but so much was simply neglected on the mythos side. I think that over time I will probably accept and maybe even like the ending, after all it was a great show that provided me with years of entertainment.

Semper Fooey
I don't think Lost was character driven at all because the characters never shaped the drama. Having complex characters in a story isn't the same as a charcter driven story.

I don't know, I think Lost was more than a mysterious island with complex characters. The writers and producers have all admitted that characters came first and mythology second.

With everything that happened in the final season, what bugged me most was probably FLocke leading up to the escape spouting:

We're gonna get on that plane!

Then in the finale:
Hey, we need to get on that plane!
Locke: F*ck that, I've got a boat!

A system of cells interlinked
Disagree. What would have been bad is if the show became mired in a bunch of reveals for tiny details that had emerged during the shows run. Also, of the things you mentioned, like Dharma - this stuff WAS solved and revealed already. Dharma, Polar Bears, the unique matter pockets...stuff like that. All of it got explained as much as it needed to be. I mean really, if the final episode focused on a bunch of minutiae instead of the core themes of the characters journey, it would have been terrible.

I still see people (not you) wondering stuff like "But why did the statue have 4 toes"

Easy - It was the statue of Tawaret, the Egyptian Hippo Goddess - Hippos have 4 toes. No mystery here. Not saying you missed this particular point, but I still see a ton of people mystified about stuff like Tawaret and the Polar bears, which definitely got solved.

I like the fact that they left some of the more nebulous details alone so folks might go out an read Valis (a book Ben was reading in "Egg Town") or perhaps study up on Egyptian mythology. The best stories inspire people to learn/know more instead of attempting to encapsulate every small detail, IMO.

Disagree. What would have been bad is if the show became mired in a bunch of reveals for tiny details that had emerged during the shows run. Also, of the things you mentioned, like Dharma - this stuff WAS solved and revealed already. Dharma, Polar Bears, the unique matter pockets...stuff like that. All of it got explained as much as it needed to be. I mean really, if the final episode focused on a bunch of minutiae instead of the core themes of the characters journey, it would have been terrible.
The things I mentioned aren't things that I felt wen't unsolved necessarily, they are just the things that I enjoyed the most in the series.

With everything that happened in the final season, what bugged me most was probably FLocke leading up to the escape spouting:

Then in the finale:
Hey, we need to get on that plane!
Locke: F*ck that, I've got a boat!
i think you didnt understand
Flocke was lying about getting on the plane. He was planned get losties on the plane, without him. He wanna go on the boat from the start. He was manipulate them.

I don't know, I think Lost was more than a mysterious island with complex characters. The writers and producers have all admitted that characters came first and mythology second.
I'm not sure what the producers admit makes it true. They can try to convince us it was character-driven all they want, but if it was the mythology and the crazy plot twists that kept people posting on the internet like mad fools for years, then it wasn't REALLY character-driven, was it?

And will.15 is right here: There's a difference between having strong characters and having a character-driven story. I write mostly character-driven fiction (as opposed to actions, thrillers, mysteries, etc.). Lost was not a character-driven show. It was a plot/mythology-driven show, with amazingly good characters (since so many heavy-plotted shows have two-dimensional characters).

And only part of THAT was the writing. I think much of our love for the characters was the spot-on casting and the amazing acting of virtually everyone in the cast.

But if it were the same amazing characters and great acting -- in a normal world with nothing crazy happening -- I doubt there would be Lost wikis floating all over the Web universe and coming out everyone's ears.