Movie Tab II

Tools    

"During high school, I played junior hockey and still hold two league records: most time spent in the penalty box; and I was the only guy to ever take off his skate and try to stab somebody."

Silly Canadians. I bet if The Blind Side was about a Hockey guy you'd a given it a
I guess that would depend if it was full of lame cliches and a predictable plot, oh but it was based on a true story. Yes, I'm sure it went down exactly as in the movie...man that little kid annoyed me. Jeepers! Do you think there'll come a moment near the end where the relationship between the woman and the football player becomes strained? I bet it gets resolved nicely though, doesn't it?
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Whenever those Canadians up there do decide to make a Hockey movie based on a real dude. I'll be there with bells on.
I haven't seen it or anything, but I heard it's okay:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0460505/

Sorry for the double post.

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
I recently watched a documentary called Pond Hockey.

It started off promising.

Interviews with former and present NHL players.

Beautiful shots of kids playing on outdoor rinks, ponds, lakes, and so on.

Then the film changed it's focus to the game of pond hockey and the pond hockey championship.

To me this was the equivalent to being the best flag football team or The Best of Times.

Which wouldn't have bothered me if the players didn't take it so seriously.

Come now eh, go out there and have some brews and a good time boys.

The Best of Times

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
I owned The Best Of Times.....and sold it.
You are saying..... someone actually bought it?

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I actually sold it to a movie store called Cinema 1, but I went back there every other day to see if someone ever bought it. It was gone a week later.

there's a frog in my snake oil

Notes on a Scandal

Dench is formidable as the caustic history teacher overseeing Blanchett's 'fey' affair with a pupil. The story of repression and transgression scales greater heights thanks to her presence, and the swellings and foreshadowings of Phillip Glass's score. The source material provides pithy diary descriptions and deft asides which delineate characters with rapid and assured strokes. It's crafted stuff, and handled amply by the director and co, who keep the UK setting suffused with colour and the conflicts intimate and tight.

+(+)

The Friends of Eddie Coyle - 1973
To Live and Die In L.A. - 1985
Don't Look Now - 1973

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Careful (Guy Maddin, 1992)

Maddin's third feature film is an incredibly-fastidious fantasy/dark comedy where people live in the Alps and learn from their elders to always be careful. For example: "Careful! You might poke your eye out (twice!)" and "Careful because if you sneeze, we'll all die in an avalanche." This film showcases one of Maddin's major plot fetishes, that of incest, and as far as his "directorial flourishes" (look up that phrase in the dictionary - it should have a fake drawing of Guy Maddin, especially if it's a Canadian dictionary) go, well, this one has the most-tinted scenes, but that's only a small percent of it. I really think if people actually understood Maddin's flicks, then they'd be laughing all the time. The problem with my saying such an honest, yet-somehow-humanly-imposisble-to-achieve concept is that Maddin is an acquired-taste, but boy, if you get him, it's fun, especially in a very dark world.

Fakers (Richard Janes, 2004)

This British caper comedy is a little bit smarter than most, but at the same time, it's a little more-preposterous. The cast and plotting are involving even as we fall into a totally-predictable plot where an "average joe" gets into deep trouble (50, 000 quid due in four days) with a gangster who'd love to kill his ass. This protagonist (Matthew Rhys) gets by on charm but he'll be dead unless that accidental art purchase he bought, concerning a minor Italian artist whose legendary "missing sketch" he may have lucked into, gets reproduced five times by the artist brother (Tom Chambers) of the barmaid (Kate Ashfield) the protag has the hots for. It's nothing much, but it holds your interest, especially in one of those rainy weekend afternoon ways. Then again, I don't recognize these actors, so if you do (AND I know YOU do), then you might think something different, although you might think that w/o knowing the cast members too.

Alice Adams (George Stevens, 1935)

Simple, charming Booth Tarkington tale about Alice Adams (Katharine Hepburn) who is so very aware of her place in this world as a poor person who should be the Belle of every Ball. The implication is that Alice and her family would be better off if her Dad (Fred Stone) got a better job or at least got out of his sick bed and went back to work. Alice has trouble just buying a simple corsage for the latest party, but she's lucky enough to find a rich beau (Fred MacMurray) who later comes to court her at her house and sees how she really lives. The whole film goes from being OK to beautiful in the last 10 minutes when the two Freds are allowed to shine.

The Talk of the Town (George Stevens, 1942)

This is a fortuitous conflagration of script, cast, and director because it's basically a sex (yeah, sex, not so much love, at least at first) comedy which masquerades as a philosophical treatise on the current state of law in most-"civilized" countries. It involves a radical (Cary Grant) accused of arson terrorism who escapes during his trial and hides out at the large home of his former sweetheart (Jean Arthur) who just rented a room to a prominemt judge (Ronald Colman) who's there trying to take a "Vacation from Law". While posing as someone else, the radical is able to engage the judge in many humorous and dramatic examples of the current state of jurisprudence in the U.S. of A. as of WWII. The film is somewhat reminiscent of CapraCorn, but it's StevensCorn, and that's an entirely different animal.

Kismet (William Dieterle, 1944)

I have a seemingly-weird relationship with this flick. In and of itself, it's quite entertaining. Ronald Colman and Marlene Dietrich exude extreme sexual chemistry. Edward Arnold and James Craig are also in one of my fave Dieterle fantasies, The Devil and Daniel Webster. Then, we can add in beautiful Joy Page from Casablanca. Plus the whole thing is shot in awesome M-G-M Technicolor. So, I'm sorry to report that I cannot explain why I don't give this a higher rating. I hope this doesn't put off others from seeing it though because I'd enjoy some feedback on this one.

-30-

The People's Republic of Clogher
The Damned United (2009, Tom Hooper)

3/5

By the time I'd moved to England and started watching 'proper' football matches (as opposed to semi-pro teams like Omagh Town), Leeds United were on the rise again, spending far beyond their means and winning the title before collapsing into near-bankruptcy and tumbling back down the divisions.

Even though they were a reasonably attractive footballing side and a couple of decades on from the events depicted in The Damned United, everyone still referred to them as "Dirty Leeds"...

The only time I've been genuinely scared at a football match was when encountering a gaggle of United supporters after a match against Coventry City. Not the most likeable guys in the world.

Aaaaanyway.

Young Mr Water has already tabbed the movie in an excellent fashion recently but his musings prompted me to get off my arse and revisit a film which had been sitting on my shelf for ages (along with about 50 others, if truth be told ) gathering dust.

Even though I feel that his depiction of Brian Clough is the weakest of Michael Sheen's recent triumvirate of famous Britons (Tony Blair and David Frost) it has to be said that he's on fine form in the impression stakes, even though his Cloughie occasionally and bizarrely drifts off into John Lydon territory.

The film itself is extremely watchable - the whole thing looks admirably '70s', it's well written and Sheen is backed up solidly by the ever-reliable Tim Spall and Colm Meaney. I was backed up solidly a few days ago but some caster oil sorted me out...ermmm.

Basically, The Damned United is a love story. Between two straight men.

I like it, don't love it and can see why the Clough family want nothing to do with either movie or book. Even if true, it paints the man in a rather unflattering light - managerially impotent without his sidekick/wife Peter Taylor.

I doubt if they can have any complaints about Cloughie's massive ego and the suggestion that he enjoyed a tipple a bit too much. Anyone who has seen post-retirement interviews with the great man can testify to the gin-blossomed shell that met them on screen. Sad really.