The Videogames Tab

Tools    

Tacitus, I thought, that with the new DLC for Fallout 3(360) it removed the level cap/set it higher and allowed you to continue the game, after completion. Am I wrong about that?

You're also right about MGS, not being brought it, as it sucks

Not played it btw. Never been a fan of the MGS series. Thought it was dull and boring, with ott cut scene length and not enough gameplay.

I belive the words he used to describe it were "brilliant".

It pretty much belongs in a genre of it's own "playable movie". If you have a love for movies (people on movieforums.com ?) you should enjoy it.

A system of cells interlinked
Damn, I am such an Xbox noob. I think I just have over 1000 game points on LT and my shared profile, and my XBL profile, which has seen much less use, has only a few hundred. I have only played one game on my XBL profile, in CoD4.

Played more Oblivion last night, and I died for the first time in the game. I was fighting some gobbies and I failed to notice one of them was some sort of goblin captain, and he smashed me. At that point, it was nap time!

I am looking forward to the weekend, and some marathon play.

Meaty: We an play some CoD if you want, but your stats make me think I am a drooling, clapping jack ass when it comes to CoD4. I guess I could run around the maps while you kill me for a while though...

Taccy - Next time I am on XBL, which may be a while with Oblivion in the mix at home, we can play one of the titles we both own.

You ready? You look ready.
Nothing is difficult about setting up the 360. I've just had more problems with the resolution being screwed up than with the PS3 when I switch TVs. Of course, the argument is mostly moot if you don't ever move/unhook the console.

Name some multi-console releases which are better on the PS3 then. The only one I can think of is Oblivion and the devs had an extra 12 months to come up with that and immediately patched the 360 game to include most of the improvements. From a personal POV I prefer the lighting in the PS3 version but no DLC, no vibration and massive slowdown in bits of the GOTY Shivering Isles (this might be the same on the 360, I dunno).

Games I've played which have been markedly inferior on the PS3 are: F3, Assassin's Creed, the last two NFS games (the latest one is a disgrace, even to EA), GTA4, Bioshock and probably a few more that I've long since traded and forgotten.

Standalone stuff like MGS4, brilliant as it is, shouldn't enter this particular argument.
What I mean is: a game designed specifically for the PS3 will kick the ass of a game specifically designed for the 360. However, this is not a very good way to gauge the two systems because there is no game that meets the comparison requirements. So we resort to comparing multi-platform games, but that doesn't work either because they are designed for one game console and then ported to the other. There will always be problems and the port will not take full advantage of the system's hardware. Unfortunately, PS3 is the console that gets the "port effect," as I like to call it.

We will never see a company specifically design a game twice from the ground up, so this argument is also moot. But hey, it's nice to talk about it in theory, at least.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

The People's Republic of Clogher
Tacitus, I thought, that with the new DLC for Fallout 3(360) it removed the level cap/set it higher and allowed you to continue the game, after completion. Am I wrong about that?

Not played it btw. Never been a fan of the MGS series. Thought it was dull and boring, with ott cut scene length and not enough gameplay.
Aye, MGS is like Marmite - you're gonna either love it or hate it. I love it.

I'd not heard that about F3, by the way, and in fact was gonna ask if anyone had tried the new DLC because I'd been tempted. Google shall be my friend once I'm done here.

Taccy - Next time I am on XBL, which may be a while with Oblivion in the mix at home, we can play one of the titles we both own.
I might finally crack open that headset thing in your honour.

The new TV should be arriving in a couple of hours, though it depends where it's being delivered from. The winds have disrupted Irish Sea sailings so hopefully it's on its way from somewhere in Ireland.

John - I know there are very few rank bad ports (NFS Underground aside) but the question that remains is the PS3 just damned difficult to program for or are game devs lazy and incompetent (or, as I've heard a game designer mention - the PS3's supposed tech superiority counts for nothing in the real world)? The answer is probably somewhere between the two but some of the blame should surely land with Sony and their SDK. I'm not knocking the PS3 as a machine, I love mine and can definitely see the use in it but the fact remains that 80% of the time I use it for things other than playing games.

I wonder how many Japanese game houses are now owned by Square Enix? I know they bought a few up recently and could well be the reason why the machine has so few native games - Square wanting cash that Sony aren't prepared to pay. Either that or they're all off making arm-wavy things for the Wii.

EDIT - Oh yeah.

EDIT II - You're right, Pedz. The 3rd bit of DLC (probably a year or more away) will enable you to play beyond the main story and will either remove or raise (can't remember now, playing with the new TV ) level cap.

Thought, so. Though I thought the 3rd DLC was due in the Summer or Autunm.

According to this [http://www.gamersyde.com/news_7428_en.html] links first paragraph, all 3 pieces are due this year. Whether or not that'll happen, I've no idea. That link is an interview with Jeff Gardiner, he's the Lead PDLC Producer for Fallout 3.

I'll believe that when I see it, unless they're planning more content for the future (ie, stuff you can get for the PS3). The Oblivion DLC is still selling well apparently, 3 years after release the game's initial release.

I grabbed Operation Anchorage from XBL and will probably give it a run later. The reviews have been quite good.

Supposed to really short, I did start the quest yesterday, almost to the place it told me to go, but have no health, stimpaks or anything. I'll quick travel to Megaton as soon as I can quick travel back to the place the quest is. Walking takes toooooooo loooooooooonnnnggggggg.

In the Beginning...
Played more Oblivion last night, and I died for the first time in the game. I was fighting some gobbies and I failed to notice one of them was some sort of goblin captain, and he smashed me. At that point, it was nap time!
In more ways than one, no less.

My X-BOX Live account name is Sleezy83 if anybody here happens to find me online. I don't spend much time on Live, but when I am actually around, I'm usually playing Oblivion, Fallout 3, or Halo 3. Also own Left 4 Dead, Rainbow Six Vegas 2, and GTAIV if anybody plays those anymore.

He's called Tequila. He's a tough cop.
Currently playing:
Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II Beta

Ask me a question, any question: Grill a MoFo: Dill-Man

Well, I figured that I'd give Operation Anchorage a spin when I got in last night but found out I'd deleted my Fallout 3 saves so resolved to grind for a few hours doing regular quests in preparation. It was then that I figured out my problem with the game - the scenery is probably as close to a post-apocalyptic wasteland as we'll see at this moment but it's not exactly interesting to spend time exploring.

Oblivion and Morrowind (I really wish Morrowind had been as polished as its successor, then it'd be my favourite of the lot) have such variety and beauty to their landscapes that it's no chore to just go wandering for a few hours.

EDIT - Oh yeah, another problem I have is with DC itself. It's not really a city but rather a collection of linear streets and tunnels with far too many invisible walls - I'd far rather explore the wasteland and, as mentioned above, even that's not mega fun.

BANNED
Also own Left 4 Dead... if anybody plays those anymore.
L4D just came out not too long ago.

Still waiting on some Left 4 Dead DLC - Valve is really falling behind on their before holidays promise.

They also continue to patch the PC version and not ever update the 360 one.

In the Beginning...
It was then that I figured out my problem with the game - the scenery is probably as close to a post-apocalyptic wasteland as we'll see at this moment but it's not exactly interesting to spend time exploring. Oblivion and Morrowind (I really wish Morrowind had been as polished as its successor, then it'd be my favourite of the lot) have such variety and beauty to their landscapes that it's no chore to just go wandering for a few hours.
YES! I've said this many times before. The wasteland is a marvel at first glance, if anything just the immensity of it, and the pre-release screenshots had me itching to explore. But after a few hours in the game, once you've explored downtown DC, you've seen everything the game has to offer... even if you've only visited about 20% of the entire map. It doesn't have the dungeon/cave/ruins repetitiveness of Morrowind and Oblivion, but those two games are just so much prettier to look at in every respect. Weather doesn't even play a role in Fallout 3. Day and night is the only variety we get.

The wasteland doesn't even seem correct in terms of suburban development. Nuclear holocaust or not, it still looks like it was about as populous as Nevada. I've been to Washington. There's a lot more surrounding the Mall than just a couple Mayberry towns, churches, and the occasional strip mall-turned slave compound in the middle of nowhere.

L4D just came out not too long ago.
Yeah, but you breeze through the game. Each scenario can be completed comfortably in just over a couple hours, and the PvP component isn't solid enough to addict me. My friends and I had our fun, and moved on to other things. It's old news.

My drow is a vampire...

I don't recall contracting the disease, but, I must have at some point. I snack on my guild members.

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
My drow is a vampire...

I don't recall contracting the disease, but, I must have at some point. I snack on my guild members.
You'll have to go through the vampire cure quest. It takes time, but it should be your main focus now - not the main quest.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

After about 2-3 hours of working on the vamp quest, we ended up rolling our game back to an earlier save. We did some reading on the cure, and a couple of ingredients are super rare. One, Bloodgrass, seems to only be available after you are well into the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild quests; we haven't started either of these yet at all, as we are just 8 hours into the game. We have been wandering around doing side quests and exploring for most of that time, and we are just level 2, as we had only slept once so far. We went to sleep to level up again, as the icon had just appeared, and our vamp troubles started.

My girlfriend was NOT liking the vamp gig at all at this early stage of the game. It seems cool, and we will do it later in the game, but we are still trying to get past the noob stage of the game, and would like to keep doing our little elf-like adventures for a while before letting the game do a massive paradigm shift.

Lukily, we had saved right before we slept to go to level three. I left the inn, grabbed a cure disease potion and then slept. No vampirism this time.

I will say, we had no indication that we had the hemophylia. One of us must have battled a vamp at some point and contracted it then, but there was no icon or text in the player menu stating we had it. Also, when I drank the potion, it didn't say the disease had been cured or anything like that, either. I just drank it and slept and the vamp dream didn't occur.

Meanwhile, this game is so bad ass! The fact that such an extreme paradigm shift in play can happen randomly, not part of any storyline, is pretty damn cool. If our character was stronger/more advanced, I think we would have stuck with the events and trudged through the vamp quest. I just didn't want to get stuck as a vamp, unable to complete the cure quest until I went through the Brotherhood/Thief quests as a vampire.