Movie Tab II

Tools    

Rear Window -

Classic thriller. Not my favorite Hitchcock film, but it was one of the first Hitchcock films I saw. I was surprised to find out the ending was the exact opposite of what I remembered it being. But it's still a great movie. Once the film really got going, I was captivated. However, after having rewatched some Hitchcock films recently, I've realized that, with the exception of North by Northwest, Hitchcock films aren't perfect in my eyes. He's a great director and was ahead of his time, but I think I always have little problems with his films. Oh well, they don't faze me - I still like him a lot.

Grace Kelly was god damn gorgeous in this.

So I watched it and I am going to watch it again! This Movie is an awesome sci-fi movie. Rod Steiger(In The Heat Of The Night) is really good in it. I recommend anyone who enjoys Rod Steiger or sci-fi flics even a little bit, this is a must see!! Oh yeah Claire Bloom is pretty hot!

I give it a 4/5 and if we talking about sci-fi movies alone 5/5!!!

I hope Mark f agrees this movie seems up his alley!

Aliens -

I just can't quite bump it up to a full perfect score for some reason, I definitely prefer it over the first one now, mainly because of that epic ending. The main reason I couldn't bump it up is because it had sorta a slow begining, but after that it felt like the movie was only an hour long, when truely it's two and a half hours long. Sigourney Weaver did a great job as Ripley, just like in the first. I prefered her character in this one though, because she seemed like more of an action hero in this one, while in the first she seemed like an ordinary person stuck in a deadly situation. This one had better characters to me, I liked most of them more. I actually think this may be my favorite sci-fi movie, I'd have to watch it again just to make sure though.

"A film is a putrified fountain of thought"
Dolores Claiborne

This was the first Stephen King adaptation I've seen that I didn't love. While Kathy Bates, Christopher Plum, and David Strathairn did outstanding jobs, Jennifer Jason Leigh bothered me to no end. Her acting was one dimensional and overdramatic. Also, I felt they didn't represent the character of Vera Donovan well. Other than those couple of things, the overall movie was pretty good, but not nearly as good as I was expecting. Yea...I didn't hate it, but I was definitely disappointed.

Horton Hears a Who

Dr. Suess is awesome. I didn't hate it, which is saying something for it being a modern kid's movie.

House Bunny

All the funny parts(what few ones there were) were in the commercials and the 2nd half is simply one of the worst things I've ever seen. Ever. It wasn't funny and was trying to be preachy but the message didn't make any sense whatsoever. I'm so mad at Anna Faris for selling out on her hotness and sacraficing her comic genius. I was forced into watching this by the way, I usually wouldn't have wasted my time.

Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels

This movie is a good combination of comedy,crime and drama! For I have only seen Snatch(which I liked) this is another good Guy Ritchie film! Ritchie ads all the same elements of style,strong characters personalities,humor,violence and a great display of the UK's subculture! Good performances from Jason Statham and Vinnie Jones who have a great supporting cast making this a must see movie.Sting also has a small role in this movie.If you liked Snatch you will like this movie to!!

I give Lock stock and Two Smoking Barrels

"We grow copious amounts of ganja, yah? And you're carrying a wasted girl and a bag of fertilizer. You don't look like your average horti-f*cking- culturalist!"

Love that flick...

Saw a couple of pretty damn fine movies today.

Rumor Has It... (Rob Reiner-2005)

I may overrate just about every sappy love and life movie I see but who cares. I love flicks like this and I especially love Rob Reiner's flicks. Jennifer Aniston is actually a relatively talented actress. I'm always pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoy her in the few films she's been in. I should mention I guess that I really couldn't stand Friends... like her, just couldn't stand the show mmmkay?

So this was kind of a cute story, Aniston narrates a lot at the beginning and informs us that a little movie and book called The Graduate just so happens to be a true story. The reason she knows this is because of who she is. Then the movie begins and we go on a little journey with her and she discovers a few things about herself and does a terrible thing, learns a few things, gets forgiven and hopefully lives happily ever after. I loved it.

Paris Je T'aime (2006)

I also really enjoyed a large part of this flick. Some of it left me a little cold but there were some really excellent shorts in this conglomeration of films. That's why I didn't list the directors, I think there was about 20 of them. Overall it was delightful.

Clint Eastwood's new flick Gran Torino

i've just watched the spider man 2 once more, i found some good points in it, and i want to walk like him especially when the Christmas is arriving.

Empire Records -

I surprised myself with how much I both liked and enjoyed it, as this is my second viewing and I don't remember liking it as much from before as I did tonight. The story is heartwarming and the performances, in my opinion, are all fantastic. I liked it a lot, possibly enough to call it a new-found favorite (albeit not a new Top 10 favorite, per-se). What's really interesting about the film is that it takes place over the course of a single day, in one single location, similar to 12 Angry Men. I found that aspect of it really cool.

My Movie Review Thread | My Top 100

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
Morgan Spurlock presents....What Would Jesus Buy? (2007)

review coming soon.

Clint Eastwood's new flick Gran Torino
Ah man, you're lucky. I want to see that really bad, but it's not coming to my theater until January 9th.

Planet Terror -

I think this rating is gonna stick for it, everytime I've watched this before my rating has seemed to jump around each time I watched it, but I think this is what it's gonna stick at. It's a very fun movie to watch, I don't want to watch it too much though, because if I do I think the fun of the movie may be worn down and I won't like it as much. Rodriquez did a great job with this one, I think this may be my favorite movie of his, well actually probably second right after Sin City. El Wray has to be one of my favorite movie characters of all-time, he's just a total badass. So I'm glad I decided to watch this again, because I love it just as much as I remember.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Besides rewatching The Dark Knight, Excalibur and The Wizard of Oz (all
), I watched three other flicks worth mentioning.

A Taste of Honey (Tony Richardson, 1961)

This is a touching, kitchen-sink, coming-of-age/ugly duckling story decked out in jazzy undertones by director Richardson and music composer John Addison. Rita Tushingham is wonderful in her debut as Jo, the teenage Manchester school girl who's never felt love from her oversexed mom (Dora Bryan). When she is ditched by her mom and her mom's latest younger lover (Robert Stephens), Jo heads back home where she encounters her "sorta boyfriend", black sailor Jimmy (Paul Danquah), and the two make love. Jo's mom subsequently moves out of the home, and Jimmy's ship leaves Manchester.

Jo goes to work at a shoe store and gets her own flat, but pretty soon, she finds that she's pregnant. Geoffrey (Murray Melvin), the young man who buys her first pair of shoes sold, becomes her pal, and even after Jo learns he's gay and he learns that she's pregnant, Geoffrey moves in with her and helps her by cooking and cleaning around the house. Jo begins to wonder if she should keep her baby, but Geoffrey volunteers to be her child's father and stay with her. Eventually Jo's selfish mom turns up again to complicate matters.

The most memorable things about the film to me are Rita Tushingham's big eyes. She seems to be a soul who has much to offer but has never found any way to channel it to her satisfaction. Most all of the acting is first-rate, including Dora Bryan's hateful mother who takes up with and gets dumped by a new man every year. Murray Melvin is equally fine conveying both shyness and true humanity. The script by playwright Shelagh Delaney and Richardson is equal parts comedy and drama, while Richardson uses an impressionistic visual-and-cutting technique which can occasionally romanticize the drab Manchester setting. It certainly doesn't sentimentalize anything, but Addison's playful music does seem to make the harsh truths the film offers a little easier to take in. This is still one of the better British films of the early '60s.

Platinum Blonde (Frank Capra, 1931)

Before Frank Capra became Hollywood's most-popular filmmaker in the mid-1930s, he was already one of its hardest-working. From 1926 through 1931, Capra directed 18 feature films, 16 for Columbia Pictures. This is one of the best-known from that era, mainly because of co-star Jean Harlow's rising star, but it's actually more interesting for the presence of leading man Robert Williams. What? You say you've never heard of him? That's probably true but unfortunate. Robert Williams died of peritonitis three days after the release of this film, but his offbeat charm will always be present in this cute Pre-Code film.

You can watch it by clicking

The plot involves a newspaper reporter named Smith (Williams) who often works with Gallagher (Loretta Young), who secretly loves him. One day, Smith is assigned to cover a scandal involving a high-class society family's son, and he successfully gets the dirt by using his "reporting skills". The upshot of this is that he attracts the attention of the family's beautiful blonde daughter Anne (Jean Harlow) who begins to fall for him when he helps to quash the blackmail scheme involving her brother. They secretly marry and a battle of wills ensues involving who will bend more to the other's desire in sharing their lives. The film is pretty good but not really up to the level which Capra maintained from 1933 through 1948. From watching this movie, it's difficult to tell how much of the Smith character is acting and how much is Williams' personality, but whatever it is, it's worth checking out. Not to turn this movie into a total downer, but Harlow also died, only six years later, due to uremic poisoning.

The City of the Dead (John Moxey, 1960)

When my brother and I used to watch this minor horror classic on TV, it was called Horror Hotel. It was always a cool flick for us to watch because it had some stark, spooky photography for many of the indoor scenes, but then it would get all graphic with bodies bursting into flames while trying to commit a ritualistic female sacrifice in a graveyard on the Witch's Sabbath. The Dead mentioned in the original title are witches who were true worshippers of Satan in Whitewood, Massachusetts in 1692. While being burned at the stake, self-confessed witch Elizabeth Selwyn (Patricia Jessel) curses the townspeople, and as a result, all the "dead" witches are given eternal life by Satan as long as they worship him and perform two sacrifices a year.

The modern day plot involves college professor Christopher Lee recommending that his student Nan (Venetia Stevenson) spend her holidays researching witches in Whitewood, and even though her brother and boyfriend don't like the idea, she drives to the remote, fog-shrouded town. Upon arrival, she finds everything spooky and almost inexplicable, but she does meet one seeemingly-normal woman, Patricia (Betta St, John), who lends her an in-depth book on witches. The plot doesn't really hold any surprises, but there are still plenty of frissons on display. The hotel where Nan stays is menacing in the way that people and strange sounds seem to come and go instantaneously. Plus there are rarely any lights on, but the fireplace always casts dreaded shadows across the rooms. Then there are the actual buildups to the sacrifices presented in the film, and they deliver the goods. The film is just a bit short and repeats a few motifs (especially the fog and the guy who gives everybody directions to the Inn) to qualify as a full-blown classic. Lovers of black-and-white Mario Bava will want to check this out though, and anybody who enjoys "old-time" horror should probably raise my rating by a half-to-a-full popcorn box.

Rocky

Strangely emotional ending and pretty decent story, suppose it's kinda one of those classic montage examples so won't criticise it for that

Rocky 2

Probably my least favourite of them, took bit too long to get going and some dodgy edits in the final fights

Rocky 3

And this would probably be my favourite, has some great character arcs from already established characters and has most fun with itself (Hulk Hogan as Thunderlips!) and Mr T

Rocky 4

Liked this one, even if by now it's just retreading familiar ground by now. Lundgren was good but he doesn't have that much to do in fairness.

Rocky 5

Was a nice change in the series and i think for the most part it worked, the final street fight was definitely one of my favourites but thought Tommy Gunn wasn't quite developed enough to make it entirely believable.

Rocky Balboa

This one took a looong time to start going, liked the almost revionist tone but some of the cinematography was too cold. Wasn't keen on that woman filling in Adrian's role or how the final fight was made to look completely real, not a healthy change of diegetic.

Friday the 13th: Part V

Pretty shoddy entry and final act was a complete mess. If i remember right, this one cut away and almost every single death.

Friday the 13th: Part VII

Actually enjoyed this one, some nice effects (Jason with his mask off) and Kane Hodder filling the role of Jason is probably best thing to happen to the series as he really makes Jason an intimidating presence.

Friday the 13th: Jason Takes Manhattan

Awful awful entry, no effort was made whatsoever to add an sense of dread or direction. Can't think of any redeeming features.

Read Window

Wasn't my favourite Hitch film but still solid. Think i remember a couple of suspicious editing techniques though.

In Bruges

Second time watching and still liked it a lot, maybe even more this time. Great performances all round and some brilliant humour perpetuated through witty dialogue.

Peep Show: Season 1

Classic.

Desperate Measures

Low rent and meandering but easy watching and not wholly bad.

Bill and Ted's Bogus Adventure

It's got Jim Martin, Primus, Pam Grier and George Carlin. 'Nuf said.

Punch Drunk Love

There was one particular bit i despised with some horrible sound but otherwise was pretty good, seemed a bit too short for some reason but don't think i'd have wanted anymore. Probably my fav PT Anderson flick so far (have to watch TWBB again)

The Hamiltons

Pretty rubbish, cheap horror flick. The ending twist was interesting but think they put all their chips in on it so was still pretty weak.

Transporter 3

Liked how they went back to style and tone of the first but the plot devices they used undermined the pace leaving it as a fight scene- boring filler. Pretty silly story, as to be expected, but Statham is always great to watch

The Dark Knight

Gets better each time, seen it about 4 times since buying it

The Vanishing

Another plodding film that put it's chips in on the ending while nothing that much happens for the rest. The ending was pretty good, and the bad guy was a pretty awesome character but didn't quite make up for poorly written main guy.

A system of cells interlinked
The Foot Fist Way (Hill, 2006) - A goofy mockumentary about a Martial Arts instructor, his sleezy wife, and Tai Kwon Do. I took Tai Kwon Do for a brief time when I was a child, and this film nails the type of people I was exposed to back then. The hero figure in the film...every dojo has one!

It's a Wonderful Life (Capra, 1946) - What can I say. One of the best films ever made, period. I was in a weird mood afterwards. I felt uplifted, but also a bit depressed that so much of the world has become Pottersville. By the way, James Stewart's acting in this film is jaw dropping. The scene where he breaks down in a bar contains some of the best histrionic acting I have ever seen. They just don't make 'em like they used to.

I had a very good movie night last night...

Edward Scissorhands -

I've seen this many times and, probably because there is a decently large time gap between each viewing, it never gets old. I have a feeling it will one day be considered a classic. Maybe that's just me. It was #5 on my top 10 list at one point, and I remember why now. It's a pretty simple, cliche story when you get down to the basics, but Tim Burton completely made it his own. Johnny Depp as Edward was great, probably one of my favorites characters ever. And Winona Ryder was stunningly beautiful in this. The film has it's extremely fun moments and it's extremely sad moments when I get super emotional. That is enough to do it for me.

The Fountain -

It was kind of hard to decide on a rating for this one... I was going all around 8-10. I think this is a good enough score. The film is a visual marvel, and probably one of best - if not the best - at that, at least for me. I just absolutely love the surreal feeling it gives off. Darren Aronofsky really nailed what surrealism has always been like in my mind... good man. I don't think I'll ever look at stars again the same way. This is my second viewing, but I would consider it my first story-wise, because when I saw this initially I was really just watching the visuals. The first 15 minutes are all just sort of a surreal mindtrip (even though it gets WAY more surreal/mindtrippy later in the film), with no real story involved. Although I did have a problem with that this time around, at least at the 15 minute mark, I don't now. It sets everything up for the rest of the film very well. Hugh Jackman and Rachel Weisz both gives extremely well-done performances. I'm not sure what's keeping me from giving it a 10, maybe just some iffy parts here and there, but it's still a favorite of mine. I was afraid it wouldn't be after this viewing, because I didn't really follow the story the first time and I thought I might be let down. But I wasn't.

Boo -

A non-theatrical horror movie that wasn't very good, but I gave it a shot because A) it's from the producers of Dog Soldiers, and B) I picked it up almost for free.

Boo -

A non-theatrical horror movie that wasn't very good, but I gave it a shot because A) it's from the producers of Dog Soldiers, and B) I picked it up almost for free.
hah how strange I watched this movie 3 years ago and it kind of scared me although it's pretty cheap.Maybe it was the setting, horror movies that take place in mental institutions and woods(Blair Witch Project-admit it ) give me the creeps

anyway I watched recently

Lakeview Terrace(2008)-

Disaster movie(2008)-
(watched it out of curiosity, how stupid can it be)

Maybe it was the setting, horror movies that take place in mental institutions and woods(Blair Witch Project-admit it ) give me the creeps.
I admit it; take a look at my Top 10 list. The Blair Witch Project is no doubt my all-time favorite horror movie.