Which movie is better, and why?!

Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
meaty would change his mind now. He has, repeatedly, since I've joined, and that's a good thing too.

The Godfather because it's the best movie of its kind ever made, especially considering that a few unwitting folk believe it's boring. (However, Swedie, I have to disagree; the movie is far superior to the novel. )

Pretty Woman. I like Dirty Dancing and bought it for my mom, but I find Pretty Woman more entertaining and actually more romantic, no matter how much the revisionists kick in.

Ferris Bueller because I believe that's Hughes' best, but I also believe that Breakfast is his second-best, so I'm happy whichever one wins.

The Godfather or Goodfellas?!

For me this is the toughest decision yet. Goodfellas had more energy, and was a true story. Puzos Godfather had alot of real elements thrown in, and maybe was just a compilation of a bunch of mafia stories.

The opening scene in Goodfellas was probably one of the best starts to a film. Pescie, Sorvino, and DeNiro were enthralling. On the other hand we have the movie that made Al Pacino, an oscar worthy performance out of Brando, and Duvall & Caan at their best.

The story was better in Goodfellas, and much more openly brutal in its honesty. Not a fair comparison as thats just a sign of the times comparing the 70s to the 90s in whats acceptable to be released in theatres.

I can find no flaws in the directing at any point from either film. Im gonna go with Goodfellas because of the superior story, but damn The Godfather was an acting masterpiece. Very tough call!
I know...It's a tough one. I would go with The Godfather as it won 3 Oscars and was nominated for 8 others!

forgive him caity....don't rip him to shreds!!!

Eh.... I won't rip him to shreds... 2 years ago he would have only been around 10... and still into Nickelodeon...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

I go with Goodfellas on this one. I find it more accessible and it has stronger camera work. The character's seem to possess more ranges of emotions as well. Take DeNiro's character; He's all Mr Slick Italiano tough guy throughout, but then you see his emotional break down when he finds out that has died.Both are great, don't get me wrong. But Scorsese's film takes it here.

We actually have an entire thread devoted to this very topic. Personally, I prefer The Godfather. Truth be told, it's a pretty lackluster adaptation of such a comparatively brilliant novel, but it's carried by a number of things. Brando's performance is one of them, pretty much establishes the movie from minute one. It's got at least three classic set-pieces that belong in the pantheon of classic set-pieces. And it's got a pretty sweet score. It's a very good movie.

Goodfellas, on the other hand, I think, is a crushingly average movie for most of its running time. It's such a generic flick for Scorsese to have made. While it does have an extra added flavor to it because it is a Scorsese joint, it doesn't do much for me at all. That is, until the beyond briliant closing sequence. Goodfellas is an average film, to me, until that horribly kafkaesque, helicopter and cocaine fueled orgy of paranoia known as the last fifteen minutes of the movie begins. So, first two hours = major case of flat, "seen it all before-itis", last fifteen minutes = inspired and fantastic.
Right on, Chef! GoodFellas doesn't show me anything that I hadn't already seen in Public Enemy, Scarface (the Muni version), The Roaring Twenties, and any number of other gangster movies. Godfather is better written, better acted, has more color, a bigger cast that is also better, more of an epic and worthy of a sequel. GoodFellas is not even in the same ballpark.

Right on, Chef! GoodFellas doesn't show me anything that I hadn't already seen in Public Enemy, Scarface (the Muni version), The Roaring Twenties, and any number of other gangster movies. Godfather is better written, better acted, has more color, a bigger cast that is also better, more of an epic and worthy of a sequel. GoodFellas is not even in the same ballpark.
I disagree. Godfather has no trace of humour in it. It's a film designed to take itself way too seriously. I love serious films, mind. But Goodfella combines serious storytelling AND traces of black humour. This seals the deal for me.

Tombstone because I am not a fan of Clint Eastwood.

Pretty Woman or Dirty Dancing?

The ultimate in all that is chick flicks! Dirty Dancing made in 1987, and Pretty Woman in 1990 these films exuded cinematic happy gas, and are being overplayed repeatedly on TV now even to the envy of John Wayne. Pretty Woman introduced the most beautiful smile on the planet in Julia Roberts. What a smile! Dirty Dancing reintroduced dance in film, and Patrick Swayze turned on more women then even Gere on his best day. The sexiest performance from a man in a film ever? Arguable, and the music was better too.

Both films were cheap to make, and both made hundreds upon hundreds of millions. Still do. I guess its decision time for me....

Positives & negatives - PW had Gere & Roberts, and DD had dancing & Swayze was cinematic aphrodisiac for all girls thereby scoring points with all guys reaping the rewards...Dirty Dancing was a great date movie. Ill go with Dirty Dancing though this was actually one of the toughest picks.
No comments for Pretty Woman/Dirty Dancing?!

Pretty Woman i thought was a terrible movie... yeah, sure.... cinderella story all over again, only this time she's a hooker! Nah.... not for me
Dirty Dancing I loved ( yeah, it was cheesy... but the soundtrack was awesome!) ... and then, a couple of years ago I heard/read somewhere that Patrick and Jennifer Grey did not get along AT ALL during the shooting... and for some reason I couldn't bare to watch it again ( weird, huh?)
Anyway... my pick is still, by far, Dirty Dancing

I pick Footloose - oh wait, I mean Dirty Dancing.

Hi Guys my favorite movie is Hell Boy . I like this movie very much .Because Hell Boy role is very interesting role. I think Hell Boy movie is better.

Hi Guys my favorite movie is Hell Boy . I like this movie very much .Because Hell Boy role is very interesting role. I think Hell Boy movie is better.
I haven't checked the whole thread.. I'm assuming Hell Boy was compared with another movie somewhere along it.
Do you have any thoughts on the recent comparison between PW and DD?

Chappie doesn't like the real world

---------OR----------------

The Breakfast Club hands down. The reuniting of Molly Ringwald and Anthony Michael Hall is enough to get my vote. Ferris was fun, but people can really relate to The Breakfast Club and I think it was every bit as much fun.

I disagree. Godfather has no trace of humour in it. It's a film designed to take itself way too seriously. I love serious films, mind. But Goodfella combines serious storytelling AND traces of black humour. This seals the deal for me.
Guess we just have a different sense of humor, Prestige. To me The Godfather had a lot of black humor, one being the running joke of making "an offer he can't refuse." Other examples of truly black humor: the big wedding played against the background of sessions with the Godfather and confrontations with newsmen and FBI agents; the suggestive song sung by the baker who made the wedding cake and the Godfather's wife; Michael and his girlfriend coming out of the movie showing Bells of St. Mary's and discussing the film; Freddie's fumble-fingered attempt to pull his pistol as his father is being shot down. Tom being abducted by the Godfather's would-be assassins as he's Christmas shopping; Sonny banging the brides-maid against the bathroom door; Sonny biting his brother-in-law's fingers to get him to turn loose of a metal banister during the big fight scene; Michael and the pizza-maker unarmed posing as tough lookouts to frighten off a car full of killers at the hospital where his father lies unconcious; the Capo explaining to Michele how to cook an Italian dish for a roomful of killers and later explaining how to kill the gangster and crooked cop and escape; Sterling Hayden's whole role as the crooked cop had a lot of black humor in it; the Godfather playing with his grandson in the garden. Michael's liquidation of his enemies while engaged in the ceremony to become godfather to his sister's son--"Michael, do you renounce Satan?" The murder of his brother-in-law later that day after first telling him he'd live. Godfather II was even funnier, because DeNiro does comedy better than Pachino.

To me, GoodFellas degrades into slapstick in several scenes. I thought the central character was much too flip and obviously didn't take crime as seriously as some of his friends, which is why he got busted. In fact, a lot of folks in that movie did silly things that got themselves killed.