who is the most versatile actor today?

Tools    

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Philip Seymour Hoffman on the other hand is easy in his skin in his films.

Tony Leung is a versatile actor as well as being very gorgeous, great character actor. Javier Bardem also and Benicio del Toro.
Very much agree with what you say about Hoffman. He is completely believable in everything he does.

Interesting that you mention Javier Bardem and Benicio del Toro. I did not know until recently that del Toro was offered Bardem's role in Before Night Falls. Both are great versatile actors (however, Benicio del Toro wins hands down in sexiness.) but I think that Bardem was the better actor for that role.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Dustin Hoffman is very good, too, but I don’t think he was ever called on to sing and dance in a role...
You forgot about the all-singing, all-dancing, immortal Ishtar.

What do you think about the other Hoffman, Philip Seymour?

You forgot about the all-singing, all-dancing, immortal Ishtar.

What do you think about the other Hoffma, Philip Seymour?
I guess he is a versatile actor......he's funny in the movie meet the fackers

The People's Republic of Clogher
Tony Leung's a good choice, Chris.

Cusack also. And DDL. And Hoffman (P).

Nic Cage? Not for me - he might have played a wide variety of characters but I've never got beyond the feeling that he's always playing them as Nicholas Cage. A watchable actor in his younger days, for sure, but not any more for me.

What about Laura Linney? Cate Blanchett?

NIcolas Cage for me and Bruce Willis..they are my all time favorites

I Choose Johnny Depp one of versatile actor today from comedy Drama and Horror GO JOHNNY GO.

I would have to say Val Kilmer is up there for me. He becomes the character no matter what he does (Jim Morrison, The Saint, etc...) and does it very convincingly.

Founding member of the Divide by Zero Foundation.

There's too much blood in my caffeine system!!

Tyger, Tyger, Burning Bright
I'll agree on Val Kilmer... but how about John Travolta?

From Saturday Night Fever to Broken Arrow, Pulp Fiction and Face/Off to cross dressing for Hairspray...

Chicks dig Lord of the Rings, Randal
I will go with 2 previous choices listed; Phillip Seymour Hoffman and Daniel Day Lewis. I love them in everything they do and they make each character completely believable.

Movie Forums Critic
Jim Carrey
Nicholas Cage
Jack Black
Johnny Deep
Orlando Bloom

This is my list and the movies that did it for me

Phillip Seymour Hoffman- Charlie Wilsons War, Capote
Samuel L Jackson- The Negotiator
Tom Hanks- Charlie Wilsons War, Cast Away, Forrest Gump
Aaron Eckhart- Thank you for smoking
William H Macy- Fargo
Christian Bale- The Machinist, Batman Begins, The Prestige
Morgan Freeman- Shawshank Redemption
Matt Damon- Bourne series, The Departed
George Clooney- O Brother where art thou
Kevin Spacey- American Beauty, K Pax, Usual Suspects
Leonardo DiCaprio- Departed, Whats eating gilbert grape
Tommy Lee Jones- No Country for Old Men, US Marshalls, The Fugitive, The Hunted
Will Smith- I am Legend, Pursuit of Happyness, Enemy of the state

I think Tom Hanks, Johnny Depp and Nicholas Cage are
the most versatile actor of today. But if I were to
choose among the 3, based on the performance Tom Hanks
is the best.

Movie Forums Critic
I have to disagree with this one, Jack Black is himself in all the movies I've seen him in, not very versatile at all.
have you seen "Love actually" he has diff. acting in the film....

have you seen "Love actually" he has diff. acting in the film....
Jack Black ain't in Love Actually. Do you mean The Holiday? Actually, I can't even guess what you mean.

I love Jack, but I wouldn't say he has much of a range. Not that he's shown yet, anyway. But I like him in everything. He's wonderful in Margot at the Wedding, which while a familiar type for him has some darker edges than what he displays in the out-and-out comedies.

I think.

But he definitely ain't in Love Actually.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Toby McGuire
Tom Hanks
Vin Diesel
Johnny Depp
Orlando Bloom

Good choice in Albert Finney but then he's had many more years on the likes of Johnny Depp who'll go on to many more roles.
I agree, Depp has a whole career ahead of him to carve out juicy roles. And look what he's already done--his submersion into the Sissorhands character in both looks and personality would have done Paul Muni proud. I've only seen the TV ads but looks like his Sweeney Todd will be just as good. And look at the wide variety of characters he's done in Crybaby, Sleepy Hollow, and Pirates of the Carribbean or the one where he played Don Juan. However, I'd like to see him in modern dramas rather than so many costumed and period pieces -- roles like Lancaster had in Elmer Gantry or Fonda's part in Grapes of Wraith. Does he have the maturity to make such roles believeable? Probably so. He held his own on screen with Brando.

I'll agree on Val Kilmer... but how about John Travolta?

From Saturday Night Fever to Broken Arrow, Pulp Fiction and Face/Off to cross dressing for Hairspray...
Urban Cowboy John Travolta would have got his butt whipped in the real Gilley's in Pasadena. He'd stand out like a disco dance slipper among cowboy boots in any Texas bar where you have to be able to cover the ground you stand on. No offense, but IMO he just wasn't believable in that role.

Toby McGuire
Tom Hanks
Vin Diesel
Johnny Depp
Orlando Bloom
Hanks and Depp are good choices but you have to be kidding about Vin Diesel and Toby McGuire. I don't think either of them is a bad actor, but they really haven't shown alot of versatility in their roles to date. I'm on the fence about Orlando Bloom. He's a good actor but I haven't seen him in anything other than fantasy and period roles .