First Among Sequels

Tools    

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Can anyone think of any occasions where you have seen and enjoyed a sequel when you didn't like the original?

In general, if I didn't like a movie, I probably wouldn't bother watching the sequel. However, Lovefilm, in their not-so-infinite wisdom, keep recommending me sequels to films I didn't like, based on other films altogether. I think this is down to them not taking dislikes into account when making recommendations, but can't help thinking I might be wrong, there might be good sequels to bad movies out there...

Hmm for me it's Alien...The original movie of this is like ordinary Alien movie to me so I find it boring but when I watched it sequel on of them is Alien Resurrection, I like it ans eventually I became a fan of the sequel of this movie...

And I thought no-one was ever going to reply to this thread! I don't know whether to count Frankenstein. It wasn't a bad film, but Bride Of... was so much more entertaining.

I can't think of any offhand where I didn't like the original and liked the sequel, but there are several instances where the sequel was superior to the original: Superman/Superman II; Spider-Man/Spider-Man 2; Star Wars: A New Hope/Empire Strikes Back....

I'll keep thinking.

I only watched Wrong Turn 2 from good word of mouth about it, without that, after the first, i wouldn't have touched it.

I've never managed to finish In The Mood For Love (not that it's a bad film just sent me to sleep each time) but really enjoyed 2046... i'll put aside that i saw 2046 first.

Think that most horror franchises fit this thread, i've seen dud entries and good entries, notably A Nightmare on Elm Street 2 which was hideous yet i've watched following sequels to it since.

After watching Once Upon a Time in China i wouldn't have bothered with the sequels but had them in the boxset and enjoyed the second a lot more.

I can only give an example of a movie i liked better then the first one. I liked Shrek 2 a bit more then Shrek. I thought it was funnier. Some say Godfather 2 was better then the first one but not me.

Even though I need to watch it sometime to see how I would feel about it now, I wasn't crazy about the first American Pie movie, yet I liked the sequels. Part 2 and American Wedding, at least. I haven't seen the direct-to-video sequels.

I can't really think of any sequels I liked when I didn't like the original...

Generally speaking, if I don't like the original I won't watch the sequels. What would be the point?

Generally speaking, if I don't like the original I won't watch the sequels. What would be the point?
Well, yeah. Tell that to Lovefilm....

american pie movie