Favorite Director?

Tools    

NOT ACTUALLY BANNED
My favorite is Fincher. I think he's great.

Others I like are guys like Scorsese, Spielberg, the Coen brothers, etc.

You know, the usual suspects.

It would be to hard for me to pick a favorite because there are so many good ones. IT's just to hard to choose. I know I like Hitchcock, Frank Capra, Martin Scorsese, George Romero, and others. Just to hard to pick a favorite.

hhmm i guess it's Woody Allen i really like Stanley Kubrick but unfortunately im under 18 so i cant see many of his films

Teeth of Lions Rule the Divine
My favorite director hands down is Quentin Tarantino.I just absolutely love all of his films.

I don't love Tarantino at all. That said, I respect the fact that he writes his own films.

Anyways, those who have come to know me on the board will know that i'm a huge fan of one Christopher Nolan. I'd go as far as to say he is the best filmmaking at the moment of time and he'll go far as long as he stays as consistent. And no, I didn't become a fan AFTER Batman Begins, I was into his work after I had seen Memento .

A system of cells interlinked
Best filmmaker working today?

Here, have another one:

NOT.EVEN.CLOSE

Nolan, not anywhere close to even being in the same ball park as people like Scorsese, Eastwood, Wong, Lynch, Soderbergh, Coen Bros., Almodovar... and on and on and on... Dozens of directors with much better work out there, for sure. If we are on this silly idea about writing having something to do with directing skill, PT Anderson is clearly, and most certainly head and shoulders above Nolan in that category. Regardless of that...what about Wes Anderson? Kitano? Linklater? What about Von Trier, who created an entire school of directing, in Dogme 95? How is Nolan, with his incredibly puny (and extremely narrow, as you yourself illustrated) body of work compare to people like that? He doesn't.

Except...do you really think Eastwood belongs in that list you just made?
I certainly do.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Absolutely! Brilliant man, 'ol Clint.
Okay- brilliant is a pretty heavy word, unless you guys want to back that up.

Personally, i believe Eastwood's movies are largely overrated. I also cannot seem to find anything new or revolutionary that Eastwood has brought to the directing chair, something we could easily find with any of those other directors.

But, MoFo's, im always open to opinions. So, go. Wow me.

the only eastwood one that made me feel anything was million dollar baby - and he deservedly won the oscar for that one. but really flags of our fathers and iwo jima were a bit crap. realistic, but dull.

Quentin Tarantino isnt bad because he re-explores old genres such as the western spaghetti or whatever you call the genre in which you would put grindhouse.

i like Terry Gilliam the best - weird movies, but somehow captivating for me. Brilliant imagination. Tim Burton also has an incredible imagination which he translates so well to the screen.

Kudos on the Gilliam, but, you may want to watch a bit MORE of Eastwood's catalog before passing judgement. You talk about Tarantino and the Old westerns, but, Eastwood was a big part of those old Westerns being what they were. He also perfected the genre , and then brilliantly deconstructed it in his Unforgiven, which is an incredible film. Watch High Plains Drifter, then, pop in Unforgiven and watch him surgically deconstruct Drifter and its ilk.

That said, I love Gilliam's work, a lot.

P.T. Anderson

This guy's an animal!

Adidass...
Clint Eastwood is an incredible director. Have you seen any of his recent movies?
The individual words are jumbled then the spaces are removed. PM the answer to me. First one with the answer wins.

Yes I have. Most of it post Unforgiven was baaawring...(apart from maybe Mystic river). His films (bar Unforgiven) won't be remembered as masterpieces 10 years from now, unlike the work of Scorsese, Wong Kar Wai, Almodovar, Kim Ki Duk, Chan Wook Park, Tarantino, Coppola, Kubrick, all of whom have their unique styles and are considered classics of world cinema. Eastwood makes decent mainstream films, but nothing that I'd personally like to watch more than once.

^^^ Just watched Volver last night. Loved it. Not that I am agreeing with you on the Eastwood thing, because I'm not, but, I am agreeing with you on the Almodovar thing...