What was the last movie you saw at the theaters?

Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by Holden Pike
Or at least direct her to the proper thread (clicky HERE).
Heh, I was in the middle of searching for all the threads as you posted this. Plenty of links to clicky now!

Leonard Cohen: I'm Your Man (2006 - Lian Lunson)

Part biographical documentary and part concert film, I'm Your Man is a treat for those of us who flat-out love Leonard Cohen. I actually went in with low expectations; I love him and his work so much that I feared watching other people sing his songs all night was going to become tiresome. I'm not enamored of earlier projects like the CD I'm Your Fan where people like R.E.M. and The Pixies covered his stuff, so I figured I was in for more of the same here. Happily I was wrong. The concert footage is from a Canadian tribute concert where a dozen or so varied artists do their renditions of favorite Cohen classics: Kate & Anna McGarrigle dueting on "Winter Lady", Nick Cave singing "Suzanne", Beth Orton's "Sisters of Mercy", Jarvis Cocker with "I Can't Forget", Anthony wistfully wailing "If it Be Your Will", Rufus Wainwright doing "Everybody Knows" and "Chelsea Hotel No. 2" and others. Many of the performances were terrific and a few were amazing. No, they didn't feature Cohen's singular barritone, but his poetry is still powerful and funny and beautiful.

In between the concert footage we see many of the artists wax about the genius of Cohen and/or relay anecdotes. More importantly there is new interview footage with the man himself, and he talks about everything from his childhood up through his years as a Buddhist Monk. Just about every time he speaks he unleashes his poetic way of looking at the world and his tremendous sense of humor. People who don't like Cohen's music (and there are many more of you than those of us who absolutely adore the man) tend to label him as "dark", "pessemistic" and "depressing", but I dare say many of those haters simply haven't listened carefully or gotten beyond Leonard's unique singing style. There is so much beauty, so much hope and so many laughs in his catalogue and worldview. The movie is slightly frustrating in that Cohen so rarely talks about himself that I wanted to have a full documentary just on him, but I suppose we should be happy he opened up as much as he did.

The finale of the film is a non-concert performance of "Tower of Song" where Cohen sings with U2. After an hour and a half of different takes on his work, hearing his deep, wonderful voice so strong and clear is a reminder that his songwriting is an important ingredient of his genius, but those of us who slobberingly love the guy swoon over that voice, too. As he self-depricatingly yet slyly laments in "Tower of Song", "I was born like this, I had no choice I was born with the gift of a golden voice". Indeed....well, sorta. I don't know if this is such a great place for a non-fan to start with their Leonard Cohen education, but I can attest that as a longtime devotee this is really a must-see.

GRADE: B+
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Devil Wears Prada....Meryl Streep brings the credibility to the movie.

A system of cells interlinked
Great review Holden. Everybody Knows is one of my favorite tunes, and my band used to cover it acoustically. I even like the Concrete Blonde version of the tune. I will check this out when it hits disc.

Pirates of the Caribean dead man's Chest it was a good movie nice effects and humor

A Scanner Darkly (2006 - Richard Linklater)

For a near-future, drug-fueled Sci-Fi conspiracy movie, this sure was a boring trip. Faithfully hitting the major points of the P.K. Dick story, writer/director Linklater infuses his own style of dialogue but forgets the source material's wit and most importantly the paranoid tension. The movie is about a man (Keanu Reeves) who is an undercover agent monitoring and ostensibly trying to infultrate a drug ring that sells the dangerous hallucinogen SubstanceD. The drug destroys the brain and eventually severs the addict's mind into two entities. Because of this, the Reeves character can't quite figure out that he is essentially going after himself. The best bits in the movie come during the introductory scenes of the burned-out denizens of the drug dealer's circle. Robert Downey Jr. and Woody Harrelson as two babbling, arguing, paranoid users have some good moments, though the schtick wears thin quickly, and Rory Cochrane has fun playing the histrionics of an addict in the final stages who imagines bugs perpetually crawling all over him. Unfortunately other than that initial energy and the fun look of the rotoscoping, there isn't much else going on until the very end, where the final twist of the real conspiracy is revealed. But by then I didn't really care. What Phil Dick had to say about the cycle of users and the devious complicity of drug companies themselves was prophetic in 1977, but it is a very muted message in the 2006 film.

Visually it's interesting, to be sure, but I don't think Linklater conveys enough basic storytelling to make it matter much. Too bad.

GRADE: C

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
The lion KIng!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cinerama Adventure (2002 - David Strohmaier)

Last night as part of Portland, Oregon's Hollywood Theatre 80th birthday celebration this weekend, there was a special screening of Cinerama Adventure (The Hollywood had been a Cinerama cinema during the '50s, the remnants of which are still visible inside). This is a good and thorough documentary recounting the history and worldwide phenomenon of Cinerama in the '50s and early '60s. The three-projector, curved & louvered screen and seven-channel stereophonic sound of Cinerama was a technical marvel and revolutionized the entire industry. It gave birth to Cinemascope, Todd-AO, 70mm and every other widescreen process up to and including today's IMAX (which for all its grandeur still doesn't replicate the feeling of Cinerama). There are only two functioning Cinerama screens left in America: the Cinerama Dome in Los Angeles and the Seattle Cinerama. The L.A. theater tries to schedule at least one week's worth of Cinerama programming annually, but the Seattle operation hasn't had a screening in a few years (though they still have the equipment and capability). There may be fewer Cinerama screens left than Drive-Ins, but in its day Cinerama was extraordinarily popular.

This film starts with the pioneers who dreamed it up and put it into practice, which at its core hoped to replicate depth of vision by curving the screen and incorporating the peripheral. The main technical wizard was the amazing inventor Fred Waller, who was working on the idea for the mainstream in the '30s but got sidetracked by WWII. He and his multi-camera Viterama invention that premiered at the 1939 Worlds Fair were contracted by the military and an impressive five-camera system with a hemispherical screen was developed as an effective flight simulator for gunners. It was a genius system and the Army credits the training and scoring system with probably saving thousands of lives during the War. After the War it was declassified and Waller went back to bringing it to the public. Early tests were shown to the Studio heads who were all impressed by the effect, but deemed it too expensive to implement. Hazard Reeves was the genius on the sound side, and multi-track sound was incorporated. Lowell Thomas, who was the on-screen face and voice of Cinerama, was the man who really brought it all together and got the idea marketed and running. Legendary figures Mike Todd and Marion C. Cooper also were key to the early success of Cinerama. When it premiered in New York City in 1952 it was a bonafide phenomenon. When the Studios saw the reaction of the public coupled with their ever-declining receipts at the hand of television's exploding popularity, they immediately got to work on their own widescreen projects - though none of them used the complicated and unique multi-camera specialized screen that Cinerama boasted.

The original Cinerama productions, from This Is Cinerama on through the rest of the 1950s, were travelogues. There was no plot, no special effects, but dazzling sequences filmed literally all over the world. The rugged and adventurous crews that took this unwieldy triple camera box to the ends of the earth were an interesting bunch, including legendary Hollywood pilot Paul Mantz. The aerial photography in particular was some of the most spectacular footage in the Cinerama travelogues. The story of deciding to fly inside the crater of an active volcano and almost not getting out alive is typical of the death-defying feats that lead to breathtaking images, and during a rafting sequence in India a crewmemebr was actually killed when the raft capsized in dangerous water.

Eventually the longstanding phenomenon lead to two narrative Studio productions being shot completely in the process: The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm (1962) and How the West Was Won (1962) with an all-star cast. Despite the boxoffice success of West in particular, it was clear that shooting in Cinerama was too unwieldy, expensive and even dangerous. The near-fatal accident that crippled stuntman Bob Morgan and the technical problems it caused for the directors and actors meant Cinerama was finished. The travelogues had been exhausted in the previous decade and no longer held the same kind of wonder, so the process just stopped being used. But the love of the widescreen continued, and though movies like It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World (1963), Grand Prix (1966) and 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) were sold in roadshow productions as "Cinerama", they were really just 70mm from a single projector onto a curved (but shortened from the true ratio) screen. Beautiful, to be sure, but not the actual Cinerama experience.

For about a decade Cinerama was the innovation in cinema, and the legacy as well as the fascinating group of geniuses and mavericks who brought it to life are all given their proper due and awe in Cinerama Adventure. The documentarians also invented a process they call "Smilebox" that comes the closest we'll ever get to replicating Cinerama onto a flat screen.

Cinerama Adventure's director/producer David Strohmaier and producer Randy Gitsch were on hand at the screening last night. Two very knowledgeable and passionate guys, they said they have finally inked a deal to bring Cinerama Adventure to DVD in the next year or so. They also hope their invention of Smilebox and the support they've received from filmmakers and the industry will get the original Cinerama movies remastered using their process and also be readied for DVD. The ASC (American Society of Cinematographers) has been one of their biggest champions. Cinerama has special appeal to them because it was really a cameraman's medium, not the director's.

If you have a chance to see Cinerama Adventure on a big screen, don't miss it.

GRADE: A-

The King (2006 - James Marsh)

Set in modern-day Texas, The King is a look at the disturbing cost of sin filtered through the calm exterior and delusional mind of a sociopath. Gael García Bernal (The Motorcycle Diaries, Y tu Mamá También) is Elvis Valderez, a young man who has just gotten out of his hitch in the Navy as the story opens. He says he's going "home", but it turns out he has no home. His mother is dead, though she did once tell him of the father he never knew, a white man named David Sandow (William Hurt). Sandow is now a Pastor in Corpus Christi, TX. He has a successful church, a wife (Laura Harring) and two children. His son, Paul (Paul Dano of L.I.E. and this summer's Little Miss Suynshine) is eighteen and about to go off to Bible College so he can be a Pastor too. His daughter, Malorie (Pell James), is sixteen and unaware of the dangers of the world. None of them know about the depth of his former sinful life or that it produced a bastard child. Elvis shows up at the church, identifies himself to his father, and is told in no uncertain terms he is unwanted. Rather than try to change his father's mind over time, he decides to take action against the perfect family. First he seduces the daughter - his half sister. From there it all goes further downhill into sin.

Bernal is excellent in his first real American feature. His Elvis does some horrible things throughout the film without a trace of emotion, yet it's difficult to see him as a monster. There is a kind of innocence to his wickedness that is odd and disarming, both for the characters in the film and the audience. William Hurt, who somehow got an Oscar nominatoin for ten-minutes of work in last year's History of Violence, is quite good as the conflicted man who can't owe up to his past until it is far too late. Laura Harring was so good in David Lynch's Mulholland Drive but hasn't had many opportunities since then. She doesn't have much screentime here, but builds a lot of emotional power anyway. Dano has an odd look and energy that suits him well here, but it is twenty-eight-year-old Pell James' totally convincing performance as a sixteen-year-old that carries the film with Bernal. Watching her wilfully destroy her own world and the horrific realization to what she's done in the end is very well done.

I gather The King is getting some grumbles about being anti-religious, and while relgion is most definitely part of the fabric of the narrative and its themes, it doesn't do so in a cheap or exploitative way. Yes, this is a man of God and a churchgoing family, but they aren't ever made out to be charicatures or their beliefs mocked in any way. That even they are capable of letting sin into their home to destroy them is not an indictment of religion, but a testament to the true power of evil. Especially if evil is not confronted but allowed to fester. It's an odd little movie that I can't say is any masterpiece, but it is definitely effective with some strong performances.

GRADE: B

Went back to another event with the Cinerama Adventure guys at the Hollywood Theatre today, and the DVD deal they have is with Warner Bros. But their documentary will not be released individually, it's going to be a supplement on a remastered reissue double-disc edition of How the West Was Won. That's currently scheduled for release in the second half of 2007 (R1).

When they were making their own doc, when they got to talking to cast and crew from How the West was Won they decided to shoot extra footage that more generally related to the film's production, rather than only Cinerama-based questions. They figured if anybody ever got the bright idea to do a documentary on HTWWW, they'd have footage. Warners did finally get the bright idea, and they'll be making a new feature for this special DVD that will also showcase Cinerama Adventure.

They aren't sure at this point if Warners is going to adopt their "Smilebox" process for the new transfer to simulate the Cinerama aspect ratio, but they hope so.

The Lake House 3/5
Roommate made me go with her
to see it, was an ok movie I actually
stayed woke

click. i liked it
"You smell that? Do you smell that? Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for twelve hours. When it was all over I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory."

-
Lieutenant Colonel Bill Kilgore

Superman Returns - Went in with low expectations so I was suprised it wasn't as bad as some people made it out to be...although a few things could have been cut out here and there. Gets a good 3.5/5 from me.

Superman Returns- seemed very unnecessary, just a big gloss on the originals while adding nothing new or really that interesting. The plot was a bit weak and the performances were all just about average, no-one really stood out or sucked to any big degree. Spacey was very disappointing but the film still exceeded my (low) expectations, shame about the Lord of the Rings ending, had several people leaving through out it.

pirates 2.

loved it.

Sir Sean Connery's love-child
Superman Returns.
What has happened to Bryan Singer????
I was never a huge fan of Superman anyway, I always prefered Batman & Spiderman, but what a dissapointment.
I know it's supposed to be a kids film, but Singer did such good work on the first 2 X-Men movies that I expected far better than this tosh.
Total waste of time.
As for Pirates 2, again I was deeply disappointed. Depp's performance seemed watered down, then again perhaps because he added nothing new, it was a case of seen it all before. The main plus point was Bill Nighy as Davy Jones and his bunch of cut-throats, although a huge fan of Geofrey Rush's Barbosa in the first film, I felt Davy Jones seemed much more of a menacing villan.
Well roll on the third installment with Barbosa, Jones and the new villan played by Chow Yung Fat ( I think that's how you spell it.)

Toga, toga, toga......

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

The General (1927 - Bruckman & Keaton)

Saw this on the big screen today, with a live organ accompaniment. I've seen it many times of course, including a couple theatrical screenings, but I can't pass up any and every opportunity to see it again. Buster Keaton's masterpiece about a meek locomotive engineer who isn't allowed to enlist in the Civil War but becomes a hero anyway when his train is stolen and he crosses enemy lines to retrieve it and the girl he loves - based on a true story. Just brilliant physical gag after brilliant physical gag, many of them performed on actual moving trains. The stunts and Keaton's physicality are priceless, though the biggest laughs from me always come from Great Stoneface's reaction when first the runaway boxcar he thought he had rerouted shows up in front of his engine again, then moments later his face when it has just as mysteriously disappeared.

This was another part of Portland's Hollywood Theatre 80th birthday celebration. The General was especially a good fit for the occasion because even though it wasn't released until 1927, it was filmed in 1926, and it was filmed south of the city in Cottage Grove, Oregon...meaning it, too, is celebrating its 80th birthday (or at least the 80th birthday from when it was filmed in the state).

Can't see The General too many times, especially projected in a theatre.

GRADE: A+

Little Man ( all i have to say is that it was worse than White Chicks )
You, Me and Dupree ( funny...not )

Originally Posted by Terminator734
Little Man ( all i have to say is that it was worse than White Chicks )
You, Me and Dupree ( funny...not )
Why in the Hell would you bother to see even one of those flicks, much less both of 'em?!? I say you got exactly what you deserve.