Delila's Reviews

→ in
Tools    

I am having a nervous breakdance
On the Waterfront is one of the best films I have ever seen. I think it is fantastic! I saw it as a kid and didn't see it again until a couple of months ago. It's a true classic....

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

I think i can relate as it is about important issues of good v's evil, the movie is strong and powerfull.

I am having a nervous breakdance
What struck me the most when I saw it was that there were so many of the actors that stood out. It wasn't a one-man-show by Brando. Malden has allready been mentioned but I also think Rod Steiger as the tormented brother was brilliant. And the story and how it is being told is just so sharp....

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Nebbs ~ exactly. The good vs evil thing is something we can all relate to. And then it's personalized in the story - there are real, viable options and emotional ties on both sides of the battle for the central character. And then you have the brother, and anybody who has younger siblings can relate to the desire to look out for them, conflicting with cimultaneously trying to get your own ducks in a row. (It's a bit like Don Cheadle's situation in Crash, there...)

Piddy, yeah, the supporting cast is all really strong and great types. They used a lot of actual dock workers and locals, and it adds to the authenticity of the world of the film.

Ground Control To Major Thom
after watching the film I watch the brief documentary. It was interesting to learn about the parallels with Kazan deciding to name names to the House of Un-American Activities Committee (HUAC) about other people in Hollywood with communist tendencies.

Sir Sean Connery's love-child
Hey C, just ordered Genghis Blues, I'll let you know what I think of it.

Toga, toga, toga......

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

This is the filmic equivalent of chocolate...
itmfl
melting deliciously onto the tongue and filling the viewer with sweet warmth. Wong Kar-Wei's valentine to romance itself captures beautifully that feeling of wanting to be in love.

Chow Mo-wan (Tony Leung Chiu Wai) and Su Li-zhen Chan (Maggie Cheung) become neighbors in a boarding house, seemingly by accident. They share an appreciation for noodles and serial dramas... and they share a pair of unfaithful spouses. Unlike so many of the people they know though, Chow and Su Li-zhen are respectful and restrained people. Theirs is a romance that begins as a support group of two, but becomes a smouldering attraction that tests them as people.

Wong Kar-Wei unfolds the story with a measured restraint, punctuated by still, reflective scenes of simple beauty. The photography throughout is stunning, with rich colors and gorgeous shapes - not the least of which belong to the lead actors. Everything about this movie pulls the viewer into the romance and the desire between them.

It's a film that stays with you, that floats you along for hours or days. It really will put you in the mood for love. That's excruciatingly corny, but it's true. 10/10

The People's Republic of Clogher
Willy Wong Kar does it again. Great review my dear.

Any appearance by the porcelain goddess that is Maggie Cheung on screen holds my attention, especially in something as nice is this...

MovieForums Extra
Its in my queue and I can't wait to see it. I just may have to move it on up......thanks for the wonderful review.

Originally Posted by Tacitus
Willy Wong Kar does it again. Great review my dear.

Any appearance by the porcelain goddess that is Maggie Cheung on screen holds my attention, especially in something as nice is this...
HA! I'm reasonably sure "the porcelain goddess" has a different meaning on this side of the Pond.

byrdy - I think you'll really like it. As always, thanks for reading.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
HA! I'm reasonably sure "the porcelain goddess" has a different meaning on this side of the Pond.
Is this like the fanny thing?

And class review, i should say publically (before i degenerate )

(And Birdy, it's well worth watching. It's degenerate in the very best sense )

You'll see what i mean. ...I think

I absolutely love In the Mood for Love, but it has had, I fear, a rather malign influence on a lot of recent world (and especially Asian) cinema. Wong Kar-Wai is a master at creating tension and longing through silence and imagery, but he has unfortunately inspired a legion of lesser directors to make boring, incomplete films with great colour and no dialogue.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
Ah yes, I can see where the confusion could arise. In this house iPorcelain Goddess means astonishingly beautiful woman and Porcelain God means...toilet.

You say potato and I say spud...

I got In The Mood for Love on DVD since i've enjoyed all Wai's other films though i just couldn't finish this one, must have tried 5 times.

Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp
I got In The Mood for Love on DVD since i've enjoyed all Wai's other films though i just couldn't finish this one, must have tried 5 times.
Which of his others have you seen, Pyro? I was suprised how many were listed at imdB.

Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp
I'm not at all surprised. In the Mood for Love is a pretty radical departure from postmodern, often convulsively violent and always structurally fractured work of his earlier career (also brilliant, by the way).

Originally Posted by Golgot
Is this like the fanny thing?
It's fanny-related.

And class review, i should say publically (before i degenerate )
You're much too kind, sir.

(And Birdy, it's well worth watching. It's degenerate in the very best sense )

You'll see what i mean. ...I think
hmm.. that's very well put. It's on a topic I'd usually have a problem watching, but here things are really turned around, and not the usual course either. It winds up being refreshing.

I first saw Chungking Express, then Ashes of Time, which also took me two attempts but mainly due to the quality of the copy, then it was 2046 which lead me into In The Mood For Love (the wrong way around). Much of wanting to see ITMFL was the ever awesome Chris Doyle's involvement.