Movie Tab II

Tools    

Originally Posted by jrs
Fun with Dick and Jane (2006)
If someone is a big Jim Carey comedy fan will they enjoy that movie jrs?

As for myself, I just watched "The Robe" last night.

A system of cells interlinked
Raging Bull (Scorsese, 1980)

Do The Right Thing (Lee, 1989)

there's a frog in my snake oil
The Edukators - Bit contrite in places, and long-winded in others, but charming too at times. More life-journey than political pondering-session - which does unbalance the film slightly, in that it doesn't really settle on its slant until about halfway in. Well acted throughout tho, and well handled by the director on the whole. The 'available light' hand-held camerawork suits the film n'all.

history *is* moralizing
Venom, 2005, just another teen ("horror") movie...
Pitch Black, 1999, must be my fourth watching...

The People's Republic of Clogher
The Big Red One (1980, Sam Fuller)

3.5/5

WWII seen through the eyes of five men - the hoary old sergeant, Lee Marvin, and the young members of his squad.

The reconstruction (not a director's cut as Fuller had croaked by the time of the reassembling) adds nearly an hour to the film and fleshes things out nicely.

Marvin is great here, bristling with snappy one-liners as his young charges try to keep up. Mark Hamill does his 'wide-eyed kid' routine once again and was probably dreaming of a career beyond Star Wars which never got going.

Budgetary constraints deny The Big Red One a truly epic feel, but it suits the personal nature of these men's war.

[the troop stops before a memorial]

Johnson: Would you look at how fast they put the names of all our guys who got killed?
The Sergeant: That's a World War One memorial.
Johnson: But the name's are the same.
The Sergeant: They always are.

Originally Posted by Sedai
Have you seen The Thin Red Line, taccy?
Aye, but not for some time, and liked it a lot. Actually, watching The Big Red One last night made me realise I need to get The Thin Red Line bought asap.

Originally Posted by Tacitus
Aye, but not for some time, and liked it a lot. Actually, watching The Big Red One last night made me realise I need to get The Thin Red Line bought asap.
It is SO worth it. My favorite malick film, although I still need to see The New World...

Originally Posted by Sedai
It is SO worth it. My favorite malick film, although I still need to see The New World...
The only Malick film I own is Badlands which shows a definate gap in my collection. I think I need to go on the game...

The Da Vinci Code:

I liked this film, and while it is tough to talk about it without being "spoilerish"; itb is good fun and lends credence to thought provocativeness....is that a word?

Kaihoke Destruction Tongue in cheek New Zealand documentary about a small-town destruction derby. Had me chuckling.

Feathers of Peace Another NZ docu, this one historical, about land disputes in the 1800's. Boring.

Miyazaki's Lupita, Castle in the Sky Absolutley loved this one. I love Miyazaki! I was impressed with James Van Der Beek and Anna Paquin's voice work on the 2003 version. (Not to mention the work of a certain Mark Hamill as the over-the-top villian.)

and finally...
X-Men Have to bone up on my mutant flicks for thursday.

Duel to the Death - Ahh, you know that when a film opens with ninjas leaping into a library with superfluous synchronicity - and then speed-reading the scrolls within - you're in for a silly ride. Just what i wanted

This early 80s wire-work fest laid the groundwork for the likes of Hero, with its accomplished fantasy action and well-filmed locations. But its big budget isn't exactly accompanied by a 'big' script. The strands of warrior-honour, political intrigue and thwarted love just about keep the fight->exposition->fight storytelling ticking over tho. There's even a little bit of pathos in there, but it's mainly swamped by the ludicrousness of it all.

And let's face it - this film is about the giant exploding ninjas, expensive false side-burns, comically bad music, and tree-hopping masters. And it's got those in spades

history *is* moralizing
Den Som Frykter Ulven / Cry In The Woods, Norway 2004, interesting story and characters, just the way they film, the photography, is too European (too cheap??) for my americanized taste

Do The Right Thing (Lee, 1989) - Twice in as many days. Michelle hadn;t seen it in forever, so we popped it in again after she returned from Montreal...

"Hey yo SAL! Why ain't there no brothas on the wall??"

The 400 Blows - Ay, very decent, believeable tale. Thought for a while the basically flawless storytelling-n-acting was gonna be ruined by a pet hate of mine - the 'misunderstood-director-as-star' phenomenon. I was glad when the daydreaming, Balzac-reading, film-loving tearaway fleshed out his background to the psychologist [cementing the kid's presence in the role at the same time]. It made the character seem to stand up more in his own right, made his actions more understandable, and made him more of an 'everyman' too in some ways. Strong slice-of-life stuff overall.

The Fog of War : Eleven Lessons From the Life of Robert S McNamara (Morris, 2003) - Riveting, thought provoking, and horrifying. Incredible documentary about people. war, politics, and base human natture. A vision of the last century through the eyes of a man who was there, right in the middle of the centuries greatest (read:worst) conflicts. His conclusions on the matter are completely engrossing, and So important to consider, for everyone alive today.

The cool thing about mr. McNarmara, is that he doesn;t pander or make excuses for his sometimes questionable actions. He simply studies the actions, and asks the question, why? He examines the warlike nature of people, and how conflict has always interested us.

Ay, great stuff innit . He's not afraid to point out mistakes where mistakes were made. [Altho of course, he doesn't always go out of his way to point out his own personal gaffs, necessarily - but at least he 'recalls' - and the guy's views carry weight . And he genuinely seems to care about getting it right - and learning from that time]

Love the way Morris's 'Interrotron' approach really seems to allow McNamara to be forthcoming while still putting him on the spot.