Delila's Reviews

→ in
Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
good review, better check this one out.

Suspect's Reviews

Thanks Sammy, it sounds really interesting

The People's Republic of Clogher
Thanks Cindy, an excellent film which I really must buy...

MovieForums Extra
Sammy, you've given me such good recommendations and this one seems like its no exception. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

As always, great reviews Sammy D… thanks for sharing… I think I might have enjoyed MASH a little more then you did… but some of that might be for sentimental reasons… the first time I watched it was with a couple of vets years ago… anyway, my "to see" list just grew a little more…

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Thanks for reading, Caity!
Right after I watched M*A*S*H, I mentioned it to a coworker and we decided we need to watch it together. She was an army nurse for 22 years. I'd love to get her take on it. That's awesome that you got to see it with people who'd had the experience.

Sir Sean Connery's love-child
Ghengis Blues sounds right up my street ( oooooooh-er in a campy Carry on/ Benny Hill way )
Haven't found it yet, but I will!!!!
Cheers for the review C.

Toga, toga, toga......

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
parker
Whhhhooooaaaa! Odd little flick, but I really liked it. It's dark and twisted and had Tori Spelling. Freaky. My only complaint was that I think it needed more rehearsal, or a better director - not sure which - but the cue pickups were a little lacadaisical, which threw off the beats. Great writing, very funny stuff and the plot was cool. That business of JackieO's family kinda Gaslighting her into keeping mum... Good story! I think my favorite moment was the mother's line, "well of course I can MAKE chicken noodle soup, I mean it comes in a can..." hee! Parker Posey was awesome and Freddy Prinze, Jr was suprisingly good. He's not just pretty.
cool. ive been meaning to see this one for some time now, i think it might be on my Netflix cue. glad you liked it! for some reason i remember when i read about it, it seemed to have some similarites to The Royal Tenenbaums...does it, or am I confused?

I got for good luck my black tooth.
Great review Sam...I think I'll see that one soon.

Originally Posted by ash_is_the_gal
cool. ive been meaning to see this one for some time now, i think it might be on my Netflix cue. glad you liked it! for some reason i remember when i read about it, it seemed to have some similarites to The Royal Tenenbaums...does it, or am I confused?
It does have some similar content, but a different feel. It's a bit darker and stranger, believe it or else.

An absolute classic, Elia Kazan's On the Waterfront is a perfectly crafted,
brando
socially significant story of the battle between good people and corruption. Marlon Brando is compelling and relatable in the central role - the man who must decide for himself where he will stand in a landscape painted in shades of grey. Karl Malden turns in a quality job as the priest, who is similarly choosing between what is traditional and what is truly right.

The story is set on the docks, among union officials, common laborers and their families. The cinematography pulls us into the physical environment and the acting similarly puts us in the emotional shoes of these people, and you can't help but ask yourself "what would I do in this situation?"

5/5. A must-see. This film is heralded as a "career best" for both Kazan and Brando. The combination makes for highly compelling cinema.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Before my screen name chose me, I was originally going to register here as Karl Malden's Nose...

I haven't seen On The Waterfront for years, in fact must hunt out the VHS tape in the loft. Thanks for reminding me again via your review.

Ground Control To Major Thom
I have not really been in here before, and you have your own "folder" for want of a better word, very cool.

Anyway, I saw this for the first time within the last two weeks. I did not know anything about it apart from that it was always in the top 10 or even five when the lists of the greatest films ever are published. This naturally made me sceptical, but just like Citizen Kane, I was pleased to say that everybody is correct.

I had not really seen any Marlon Brando films apart from the Godfather and his famous 10 minutes in Superman. I thought he was excellent, good performances all round.

Randomly visiting for now
Awesome review Sammy! I just watched it for the 2nd time yesterday and loved it even more (and I predicted it as getting best picture from my first viewing so keep that in perspective ). Um just in response to Obiwanshinobi's comment about the coincidences being laughable, well I think they were meant to be overly connected. It's the amazing connection that raises all the questions about the movie. If it seemed like an obvious occurance then it wouldn't have anywhere near the effect it does.

I personally think the movie is not only about how we affect each other but its also about how we judge people. You see certain characters and you dismiss them almost unconsciously as being a racist or a decent guy; then your perceptions turn out to be false when you see the other side to them. You see how their past pains have propogated these racist ideals and how while you might automatically describe them as a 'racist biggot' when you first see them if you look a little closer they are still good people. It's your anger and hostility towards them that also perpetuates the problem. As the old saying goes 'hatred breeds hatred'. In the same way people generalise races into one entity I found that I tend to generalise racist people into one evil entity and I wasn't even aware of it until this movie came out.

Acting superb, casting terrific, music was spectacular in creating the right mood (ooh that scene with the girl jumping into her father's arm was so powerful because of the awesome sounds) and the subject matter was very timely in my eyes. It's easy to assume we have come so far and there is little racism left in society, but this movie raises the question about how far have we really come? and perhaps there is still a long way to go to stop racist views from eventuating in modern society.

D~ As always, thanks for reading. You'll let me know if you rewatch it, I feel pretty confident.

Smeg
~ that's some timing. It was my first time seeing it just recently, as well. It was on my list of "Classics I Guess I Am Going To Have To Watch". Am a convert, now.

Spooky~ I couldn't agree more! Very well put. The obvious point is that our lives intersect in ways we don't always see, and there is no sleight of hand in interweaving the storylines. It's done deliberately, and those who've complained about that seem to have gone in looking for a different sort of film. One of the writers is a playwrite, and I see his influence in the bold strokes of the Crash screenplay. I think there's plenty of subtlety in the details and that the performances are heartfelt enough that we still see the characters as relatable people. I'd consider that the determining factor in whether it's all "too heavy handed", as I've heard it described. As long as we care about the characters, we are open to the message of the film.

Agreed too about the music and acting. It's one of the best casts I've seen, where everyone is really strong, and it's an actor's dream, in that nearly every character has depth. Because of that, we can relate to them AND feel a certain level of discomfort when they start making racist comments. It's a gentle way of making us look at something less than rosie in our selves, or our society.

Nebbs, wow! what a deal!
I really loved it, too. I didn't expect to relate to it all that strongly - it looked like a man's film, I guess. It's very relatable though, don't you think?