What was the last DVD you bought and why?

Tools    

Arresting your development
Originally Posted by Darth Stujitzu
Bought " Revenge of the Sith " today, it's the best of a bad lot, and I actually enjoyed it, besides my Star Wars collection wouldn't be complete without it!

Still, Death to Jar-Jar!!!!
You know it!

Remains of the day - because I like Anthony Hopkins haha...

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by adidasss
haha...well, i saw open your eyes way before i saw vanilla sky ( so in this case i can compare it, but i saw it reluctantly, there was nothin on tv that night ) and i was blown away when i saw it , so i really couldn't be objective about vanilla sky, on it's own ( if i hadn't seen open your eyes ) it would probably be a very good film too, but like this, i was very bored and annoyed they changed so little ( to the point of Penelope playing the same role ), why couldn't they just release open your eyes in the states? are americans really that allergic to subtitles? that's what my problem is, and now i hear they're doing a remake of oldboy?! good god!! it's criminal!!....especially since cinematographies arround the world have improved so much ( as far as the way the film looks and the special effects ) that they can easily compete with american films...i just don't understand it.....
Oh, I understand. It's money. Some money grubbing freak sees a film do well overseas, and has to ape the idea to line his own pockets. I agree, it is lame for the most part. I will restate the fact that lots of Americans enjoy films with subtitles, myself included. I don;t think it really has anything at all to do with the language barrier, and everything to do with the above money grubbers.

Poo on them...

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Originally Posted by The Taxi Driver
works when i try to see it man. maybe you gotta crappy computer
The pic works on your system because you went to the site and it's in your cache. It isn't showing up for anyone else.

Sedai and adidasss - mustn't there be something in the licensing that discourages the makers of the original from doing a broader release in the states, or is it maybe the lack of reaction to the subtitled version? I don't know of any other possible detriment to their making money on their own original, and then there'd be no market for the americanized reshoot, right?

ok, city of god was released in the us right? how well did it do? ( if it didn't do very well it proves my point that american general public doesn't like subtitles ) the film looks amazing and the story is explosive by itself, so by all accounts it should have done extremely well, but, did it? ( honest question )
can you tell me what the last subtitled movie was that sweeped the american box office? all i can think of is ( maybe ) crouching tiger, hidden dragon.....
and licensing? that would be extremely unfair to other cinematographies ( seeing as how the US is the largest market ), and the EU's decision would make sense ( if i got it right, the EU is passing a law limiting the amount of american films released ? or i could have just dreamed that....)

Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith (2005)
Heart and Souls (1993)

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

ok, city of god was released in the us right? how well did it do? ( if it didn't do very well it proves my point that american general public doesn't like subtitles ) the film looks amazing and the story is explosive by itself, so by all accounts it should have done extremely well, but, did it? ( honest question )
can you tell me what the last subtitled movie was that sweeped the american box office? all i can think of is ( maybe ) crouching tiger, hidden dragon.....
and licensing? that would be extremely unfair to other cinematographies ( seeing as how the US is the largest market ), and the EU's decision would make sense ( if i got it right, the EU is passing a law limiting the amount of american films released ? or i could have just dreamed that....)
The film did $7.2M at the box office, following an opening weekend of $88,292. It's highest ranking in the box office reciepts was 26.

By contrast, Catch Me If You Can did $136.3M, following an opening weekend of $10,700,000.

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon did $127.6M. Opening weekend was $663,205 and it reached #4 in the rankings.

American film audiences tend to like to be able to watch the film, rather than read it. However, and this is important: the same is true of French audiences, German audiences, Japanese audiences... it's not that American audiences are stupid or snobs or whatever. All films do better in the country that speaks the language the film is in.

Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
The film did $7.2M at the box office, following an opening weekend of $88,292. It's highest ranking in the box office reciepts was 26.

By contrast, Catch Me If You Can did $136.3M, following an opening weekend of $10,700,000.

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon did $127.6M. Opening weekend was $663,205 and it reached #4 in the rankings.

American film audiences tend to like to be able to watch the film, rather than read it. However, and this is important: the same is true of French audiences, German audiences, Japanese audiences... it's not that American audiences are stupid or snobs or whatever. All films do better in the country that speaks the language the film is in.
but was city of god even marketed well? i think it has a lot to do with that too, companies that chose to release a film in the us don't market it well, what makes crouching tiger...that much better than city of god? nothing, i think the difference is bad marketing, insufficient advertising and promoting...and you might be right on the french and japanese thing ( germans dub all their movies and tv series ), i can only speak for my country, we have the exact opposite situation, the audience for croatian films barely reaches a thousand ( to be fair, our films suck big time ) ...so we have no problems with subtitles, all the movies we see are subtitled so whether the movie is american or korean, it makes little difference to us....

but was city of god even marketed well? i think it has a lot to do with that too, companies that chose to release a film in the us don't market it well, what makes crouching tiger...that much better than city of god? nothing, i think the difference is bad marketing, insufficient advertising and promoting...and you might be right on the french and japanese thing ( germans dub all their movies and tv series ),
I don't have any figures on the marketing budget, but based solely on what I saw, it was marketed pretty heavily. I saw a million and 12 ads for it on rottentomoes.com and at least one billboard around LA for it. It was well recieved by those who saw it, but not a financial hit.

i can only speak for my country, we have the exact opposite situation, the audience for croatian films barely reaches a thousand ( to be fair, our films suck big time ) ...so we have no problems with subtitles, all the movies we see are subtitled so whether the movie is american or korean, it makes little difference to us....
That's interesting... How big is the population of Croatia?

Originally Posted by Sinny McGuffins
The Passion of The Christ had subtitles. But I suppose Jesus had a lot to do with that film's success.
He does havea pretty wide fanbase.

The People's Republic of Clogher
He does havea pretty wide fanbase.
Didn't he do a stadium tour in the late '60s?

Germany I think.....

I'm sure you'll get that, Cinders.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Who is this Jesus guy I keep hearing about? Can someone please nail it down for me...

I realize I'm already going to the warmer place.

I don't have any figures on the marketing budget, but based solely on what I saw, it was marketed pretty heavily. I saw a million and 12 ads for it on rottentomoes.com and at least one billboard around LA for it. It was well recieved by those who saw it, but not a financial hit.

That's interesting... How big is the population of Croatia?
4.5 milion.....

so what can we conclude happened to city of god? ( it shoulda made at least as much as catch me if you can, what am i saying, it should have blown it out of the water , the box office water that is....)

Originally Posted by Tacitus
Didn't he do a stadium tour in the late '60s?

Germany I think.....

I'm sure you'll get that, Cinders.
I caught some tape of that. He was screaming "you can lick my ass" at some guy. Made an impression, that Jesus.

adidasss City of God did pretty well here, as an import. The door is open for something to really make an impact: americans have warmed up to action and horror with subtitles. The stage is set. City of God was a bit far-removed from the lives of most of the american movie-going public. It was also a little meandery, story-wise, in the second act. And it had a biopic theme but no one here knows that photog who was the central character. Clear up those problems, make a film in Croatian with English subtitles, and you can change film history for your country and mine. You'll want to toss in some patience too, since the american public is a little bigger than the Croatian - my CITY (and the county around it) is twice the population of your entire country. Consequently, there are plenty of media already aimed at us over here.

Sir Sean Connery's love-child
Just as well us Scots are so well educated in subtitled films!!!

Rather amazingly we have a number of European film companies with offices in Glasgow, most notably Sigma films that produced Wilbur wants to kill himself and Young Adam starring Ewan McGregor.

We are a real cinema city, we had the most cinemas of any city in Europe for many years before those damn pesky multiplexes came along.Thankfully we still have the GFT( Glasgow Film Theatre ) which shows mostly sub-titled films, and was the first place in Glasgow to show Reservoir Dogs and El Mariachi, Tarantino did a brief Q&A at the cinema for Reservoir Dogs, but I missed it! D'OH!!

Toga, toga, toga......

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

ok.....those are not good arguments and you know it,most people don't go to see films that are close to home, if that were true, people would not have gone to see the titanic or say, the matrix, not to mention lord of the rings and a billion other films, but they did so in milions, the meandery part is your personal opinion,and as far as the biopic part is concerned, it isn't a classic biopic because the story is not about the photographer, he is only the narrator,the objective observer of the story, the story is about a gang war that broke out in the favelas of rio de janeiro in the 70's, and come to think of it, my impression was that there's plenty of that going on in the US ( black and hispanic people in the ghettos lead fairly similar lives to those of black people in the favelas no?)
so my question is still unanswered.....i'd still go with marketing or simply the fact that the general american public is not used to seeing "foreign" films.....something that will undoubtedly ( or hopefully ) change one day......

The Long Goodbye and Kiss Me Deadly.
I guess I was in a not-quite detective thriller mood.

ok.....those are not good arguments and you know it,
They're not arguements submitted as alternatives to your suggestions. I'm saying that CoG, as an example of the american public turning out to see a "foreign" film, had a few issues of it's own that can also account for a less-than-stellar financial outcome.

...most people don't go to see films that are close to home, if that were true, people would not have gone to see the titanic or say, the matrix, not to mention lord of the rings and a billion other films, but they did so in milions,
yes, because those films have very relatable central characters. CoG starts out and ends with a very relatable narrator, but his through-line takes a back seat through the entire middle section of the film.

the meandery part is your personal opinion,
See above where I walked you through it. I can get the felt board out and some hand puppets if you still don't get it, Aristotle. (see, I can be a smartass too.. isn't this fun?)

...and as far as the biopic part is concerned, it isn't a classic biopic because the story is not about the photographer, he is only the narrator,the objective observer of the story,
"Classic" or not, we lose the emotional through line and the most sympathetic character when we lose sight of the narrator. This could have been worked around in a few ways, but it wasn't. As a result, people didn't walk out of the theaters and immediately insist that everyone they know go see it. That's called "word of mouth" and it's as crucial for a financially successful film as marketing. For illustration, see Dukes of Hazzard, which had a ton of marketing and publicity and was choked to death the second weekend by word of mouth.

...the story is about a gang war that broke out in the favelas of rio de janeiro in the 70's, and come to think of it, my impression was that there's plenty of that going on in the US ( black and hispanic people in the ghettos lead fairly similar lives to those of black people in the favelas no?).....
Yep, and how many of the characters in the film did you see heading to the cinema? I'mna go out on a limb here and say that the box office bank of, say, Lord of the Rings was not generated from the 'hood.

so my question is still unanswered.....i'd still go with marketing or simply the fact that the general american public is not used to seeing "foreign" films.....something that will undoubtedly ( or hopefully ) change one day......
I did answer your question and I just went back and illustrated it. You can read what I'm saying, and realise that we're pretty much in agreement (only I'm making a more detailed analysis of the situation) or you can decide you were right before we started discussing anything and try and pretend I don't know what I'm talking about again. That was neato.

Couldn't resist picking this one up...and it had to be the limited edition too. I mean, if you're gonna go, go all out.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra