Vote on the next countdown (Oct. 2023)

Tools    

What should our next countdown be (Oct 23)?
30.36%
17 votes
Films not on previous lists
23.21%
13 votes
Underseen films
30.36%
17 votes
Musicals
46.43%
26 votes
Noir
28.57%
16 votes
Some decade refresh
10.71%
6 votes
Other (specify below)
56 votes. You may not vote on this poll

...If anyone here is familiar with Ranked Choice voting...That would be a better/more robust version of what I'm talking about, but it's more work and multiple votes captures a chunk of the same thing, with the added virtue, of course, of already being built in to the software.
I was thinking the other day about asking you if we could have a Ranked Choice voting, say four choices with exponentially lower points for each of the four votes (1,2,3,4) or something to that effect. But I'm sure that's alot of work for you to do so that's why I didn't mention it.
I realize we'll probably never agree on this, and that's fine, but I wanted to make sure my reasoning was transparent.
No worries there! I know you will be transparent, fair and logical. Not even a concern.

Thanks CR, I appreciate that. And I'm fine with you making your case each time, in case it wasn't clear. No hard feelings about you lobbying for whatever you prefer, and that goes for everybody else, too!

I'd be open to doing Ranked Choice manually in a special circumstance where we have a reasonable expectation that it will matter. Maybe an unusually contentious choice process? Not sure. I mostly just don't want to commit to doing it every time. But I wouldn't rule out doing it occasionally if we had good reason to think it would help.

Thanks CR, I appreciate that. And I'm fine with you making your case each time, in case it wasn't clear.
That made me laugh! I was wondering if anyone noticed I say the same thing about voting each time and I do!

Anyway, looks like Not on Previous Lists didn't make the cut (though it came within a couple of votes), so I guess I'll just have to lobby harder next time. Or make sure it happens by volunteering to host it myself in advance and hope that's persuasive.
I've liked that idea of Not on Previous List, though some have panned it. I think it could work, especially if you host it. At least it would have the virtue of never been tried. Next time, with you hosting!

Are there enough good sports movies to have a countdown? That might be a tough one to come up with a ballot for. I like the idea of films not on previous lists better than sports.

Are there enough good sports movies to have a countdown? That might be a tough one to come up with a ballot for. I like the idea of films not on previous lists better than sports.
Hard to say. There's always the option of doing a Top 50. That seems to bug some people but I don't think it's a big problem.

The trick is not minding
Anyway, looks like Not on Previous Lists didn't make the cut (though it came within a couple of votes), so I guess I'll just have to lobby harder next time. Or make sure it happens by volunteering to host it myself in advance and hope that's persuasive.
It’ll get my vote next time, as the more I thought about it, the more interesting it seems to me. There’s so many that aren’t included on these lists I’d love to give them a chance.

I think I could fill out a ballot using just boxing movies: Raging Bull, Rocky, Creed, Requiem for a Heavyweight, The Harder They Fall, The Fighter, Cinderella Man, Million Dollar Baby, When We Were Kings, Hard Times, Fat City, Gentleman Jim, Ali, The Hurricane, The Set-Up, Body & Soul, The Champ, Triumph of the Spirit, Tyson, et al.

Then you add worthwhile football movies: The Longest Yard (1974), Rudy, Remember the Titans, Jerry Maguire, Any Given Sunday, Wildcats, Friday Night Lights, The Blind Side, The Freshman (1925), The Express, The Waterboy, Semi-Tough, North Dallas Forty . . .

Baseball: Field of Dreams, Bull Durham, The Natural, Moneyball, A League of Their Own, Eight Men Out, Major League, The Pride of the Yankees, The Sandlot, Bad News Bears, 42 . . .

Basketball: Hoosiers, Hoop Dreams, White Men Can't Jump, Blue Chips, Space Jam, He Got Game, Hustle, Teen Wolf, Air . . .

Racing: Rush, Ford v. Ferrari, Talladega Nights, Cars, Days of Thunder, Death Race 2000, World's Fastest Indian, Greased Lightning, Two-Lane Blacktop, Gran Turismo, Le Mans, Senna . . .

Other random good/great sports movies: The Karate Kid, The Hustler, Happy Gilmore, Caddyshack, The Wrestler, Beyond the Mat, Kingpin, Dodgeball, Rollerball (1975), Seabiscuit, Breaking Away, Miracle, King Richard, The Color of Money, Whip It, Challengers, Battle of the Sexes, Eddie the Eagle, The Big Lebowski, Win Win, I, Tonya, Foxcatcher, The Mighty Ducks, Warrior, Slap Shot, The Iron Claw, McFarland, USA . . .

That's a shit ton already, and I'm blanking or haven't seen numerous others that would probably prove popular. And that's not even getting into stuff like The Last Dance or all the 30 for 30 documentaries if they qualify.