The MoFo Top 100 Neo-noir Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Lost Highway is my #11! A great neo-noir that will leave you even more confused than Under the Silver Lake.😃

I liked Thelma and Louise, but hadn't considered it neo-noir.

My list:
3. Brick
8. Point Blank
11. Lost Highway
16. Basic Instinct
24. Under the Silver Lake

Seen: 23/46

I haven't seen either of yesterday's movies or Lost Highway and, given my past experiences with Lynch movies, I have no desire to see more of his work. I know I've seen bits and pieces of Thelma and Louise, but I don't know if I've ever seen all of it. Maybe I'll remedy that.

Yeah! My #6 Thelma & Louise (1991)...Love that movie and only have seen it once. I really, really, really want that T-Bird convertible and in that color! My past review:

Thelma & Louise (1991)

Susan Sarandon, Geena Davis, Ridley Scott, Callie Khouri and a 1966 T-Bird convertible is what makes 1991's Thelma & Louise one helluva a special movie!

When Thelma & Louise hit the screens almost 30 years ago it caused a sensation...and a back lash against the film that some called irresponsible film making, and some called male bashing. There were worries that little girls would see the film and become gun slinging wild women who drove their cars off cliffs! I just watched the film, then I watched the commentary track with Geena, Susan and script writer Callie Khouri. And they talked at length about how this film was reacted to. I'll just say I loved it!

The movie starts off like a drama-comedy but then turns serious with an attempted rape and beating on Louise (Geena Davis) by a local low life at the bar. What happens next is telling and sets the tone for the movie. After the man stops attacking Louise and she's safe, Thelma (Susan Sarandon) in a fit of indignation and rage shoots and kills the unarmed man. The film never says that's a good thing, and indeed this is what makes the two women go on the run. We then watch their lives for the next few days as they try to survive on the open road. We see their friendship and understanding of each other deepen, until it's so deep that they can't bear to be separated, even at the final tragic ending.

It's the personal story of these two women and the way the two actresses give them life that makes me really care about their plight. The chemistry between the two is dynamite. I don't know if it's circumstance or not, but both have red hair and that too seems to fit the film.

Much of what makes Thelma & Louise dynamic is the script written by Callie Khouri. This was Callie's first big movie and you can tell it's a script that she poured her soul into. Callie gives Thelma and Louise depth, she gives them a back story and she transforms them by the journey that they take.

Shout out to Ridley Scott. We all know Ridley does world building and set details like no one else. Here, Ridley is in fine form with so many rich shots and sets that are truly stunning enough to be a stand alone photograph!

This was the first big film Brad Pitt ever starred in. He's quite young here and does one helluva job as the colorful and roguish JD. I couldn't help but wonder if J.D. might be an acronym for James Dean. Indeed Pitt reminded me of James Dean in Giant.

My only complaint: I wish this movie was longer, as I thoroughly enjoyed every single minute of it!

WHAT DID YOU THINK OF... THELMA & LOUISE

RT – 86%, IMDb – 7.6

Roger Ebert said:

"This film shows a great sympathy for human comedy, however, and it’s intriguing the way he helps us to understand what’s going on inside the hearts of these two women -- why they need to do what they do." (read full document here)
Peter Bradshaw, from The Guardian, said:

"Just over 30 years later, it looks punchier, bolder, hotter and sweatier than ever. This is a masterclass in narrative construction and character development and director Ridley Scott puts his pedal to the metal with pure action brio." (read full review here)
@Citizen Rules said:

"Much of what makes Thelma & Louise dynamic is the script written by Callie Khouri. This was Callie's first big movie and you can tell it's a script that she poured her soul into. Callie gives Thelma and Louise depth, she gives them a back story and she transforms them by the journey that they take." (read full review here)

WHAT DID YOU THINK OF... LOST HIGHWAY

RT – 68%, IMDb – 7.6

Roger Ebert said:

"David Lynch's Lost Highway is like kissing a mirror: You like what you see, but it's not much fun, and kind of cold. It's a shaggy ghost story, an exercise in style, a film made with a certain breezy contempt for audiences. I've seen it twice, hoping to make sense of it. There is no sense to be made of it. To try is to miss the point. What you see is all you get." (read full document here)
Jordan Blum, from Consequence, said:

"Full of trademark mysterious imagery, cryptic plot points, devious characters, and surreally sinister sound design, [Lost Highway] soars as Lynch’s most overtly neo-noirish statement." (read full review here)
@Iroquois said:

"To me, Lost Highway is either David Lynch's best bad film or his worst good film (probably the latter). The first and third acts build up such a great atmosphere that it even keeps the sub-Twin Peaks antics of the second act from sinking the film completely, deliberately hokey and somewhat-sensible-in-context narrative be damned." (read full review here)

This is Ridley Scott's first film on the countdown, but his brother Tony already had one as well. Will they appear again? How about Lynch?

This is Ridley Scott's first film on the countdown, but his brother Tony already had one as well. Will they appear again? How about Lynch?
I think Ridley will show up again, but not Tony. I predict at least one more Lynch film will make the countdown.

Ridley definitely will. Blade Runner is inevitable. Someone to Watch Over Me is his most obviously Noir homage, but I doubt it got this many votes. His Black Rain has a good MoFo fanbase, it'll show.

As for Tony, his Revenge is his most overtly hardcore Noir, plot and style wise, but I don't expect it'll make the cut. His remake of Man on Fire probably will. Maybe Enemy of the State, too, even though it is only tangentially Noir-ish. That certainly doesn't seem to matter.

And of course David Lynch will show again.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

It looks like Lost Highway ended up at as my #3. How and where Lynch movies ended up on my ballot was a weird balance of how much I liked them, how noir I felt they were, and I guess because of one I didn't include, maybe how frequently I included them.

I think at least two more Lynch movies show up, outside chance of three more, unlikely but not impossible for four more.

Putting this high up on the noir category of dark melodrama centered around a mystery, a murder, and a femme fatale, with a nefarious criminal figure lurking in the background.

To date, I still have never seen Thelma & Louise. It's one of those weird cultural blind spots where I have neither any type of strong interest nor strong disinterest.

It’s been so long since I have seen Thelma And Louise, you may as well say I haven’t seen it. I won’t be saying that when it’s list counting time though, of course.

Watched Lost Highway last year. I would definitely say Lynch’s style has grown on me the last few years, but not enough to love these purposely befuddling flicks. It was just okay.

1 for 2.

I can't believe I still haven't seen Thelma & Louise. Maybe it's a mental block at this point. And after watching Twin Peaks and Mulholland Drive and ending up feeling adrift I watched Lost Highway in a gird-my-loins kind of moment. Sat there feeling the same way until Robert Blake strolled in. Then I was firmly in dafuq? territory. I actually enjoyed Dune. Eraserhead I was able to grasp. Somewhat. Maybe just go ahead and add me to whatever group thinks The Straight Story is David Lynch's best film.

EDIT: Oh and Blue Velvet. I definitely liked that one. And Wild at Heart too.

25 of 46 seen.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
#56. Thelma & Louise (1991) is my #16 for ten points from me.

When the discussions in the preliminary thread marked it as acceptable for noir scope, this film immediately landed on my ballot. Moreover, I feel it's been somewhat ignored in the internet film-forums during the last decades.

Saw it twice in theatre when it came out and several more times on the telly in the following years. That's a highly entertaining and watchable film. Flawless story, superb cast, Susan Sarandon at her best here. Very nice adventure road movie!

++
85/100

-----

My Ballot

4. The Driver (1978) [#79]
6. Red Rock West (1993) [#88]
7. The Hot Spot (1990) [#85]
8. Shallow Grave (1994) [#95]
14. Purple Noon (1960) [#94]
16. Thelma & Louise (1991) [#56]
21. Mona Lisa (1986) [#78]

-----

Others in my radar:

The Ninth Gate (1999) [one-pointers]
The Talented Mr. Ripley (1999) [#96]
True Romance (1993) [#60]

To date, I still have never seen Thelma & Louise. It's one of those weird cultural blind spots where I have neither any type of strong interest nor strong disinterest.
You need to change that. This is an A #One Popcorn movie. Totally enjoyable. Excellent performances by Geena Davis, Susan Sarandon and Michael Madsen. This is Brad Pitt's break out role. People could not stop talking about it. You root for these ladies the whole time as the wild ending comes for them. You will love it.

So Thelma & Louise is a noir?

It's a good film, though.

Lost Highway...I mean it's David Lynch tough to discount there. Not my favourite of his, and those two will certainly make this countdown - probably both top 10, but I'm glad to see it make the list. It's been way too long since I last watched it.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

AWARDS?

Thelma & Louise received a good bunch of nominations and awards. These are some of the most notable:
  • Eight (8) BAFTA Film Award nominations, including Best Actress (Geena Davis and Susan Sarandon)
  • Six (8) Academy Award nominations, including a win for Best Original Screenplay (Callie Khouri)
  • Four (4) Golden Globe Award nominations, including a win for Best Screenplay (Khouri)
  • Three (3) National Board of Review Awards, including Best Actress (Davis and Sarandon)
  • Two (2) MTV Movie Award nominations, including Best On-Screen Duo (Davis and Sarandon)