Anatomy of a Fall Poll: Did Sandra kill her husband?

Tools    

Did Sandra kill her husband?
0%
0 votes
Yes
100.00%
7 votes
No
7 votes. You may not vote on this poll

I recently watched this and enjoyed it. I feel like whether or not Sandra killed her husband was left unanswered in the movie, so wanted to see what we all thought about this! Did she do it, and why do you think yes or no? Thought it might prompt an interesting discussion. Thanks! I'm aware there is a discussion thread on this film but I had to start a new thread to post a poll.

The jury said no, and they heard all the evidence, so it's no.
Not guilty does not mean innocent. It means that guilt was not proven in a court of law based on the elements of the charged crime, and I'm not asking what the jury thought, I'm asking what you as the viewer thought based on watching the film. If you still think no for that reason, thank you for your comment, but to me, these are two different things.

It's impossible to say really.

I've sat on a jury in a crown court, and at the end of the day I thought the defendant had "possibly" committed the crime. But to convict you have to prove beyond all reasonable doubt. So it was a hung jury as we couldn't come to a unanimous decision.

I feel the same here (albeit it's fiction). Other than a boring "don't know" answer as there's not information / evidence, then of the two options I'd have to pick Innocent. To be able to pick guilty, you have to be totally sure.

This is a fascinating answer to me. Thank you. It appears like to answer the poll question you are using the same standard of evidence as if you were on an actual jury. For me, I'd answer the question based on what I generally thought. If I had to make my best guess, with the evidence that they presented during the film, her demeanor, the behavior of the son in reaction to her behavior and what he testified and whether I thought he was telling the truth or lying to protect her, etc., do I think it's more likely than not that she killed her husband. I wouldn't apply the same level of evidence requirement to an online poll that I would if on an actual jury. The fact that you do is thought provoking!

I watched it alone first and then with my mother. My mother was adamant that Sandra didn’t kill her husband. I agree with the points made above re: that given the evidence that was presented etc., it appears as though she probably didn’t.

However, I personally think that, much as what ScarletLion said, that is the case more in the sense that there isn’t enough irrefutable evidence to convict. To me personally there’s a bit more of a grey area there. It’s not that I as a viewer think that she definitely did actually kill her husband, I don’t feel that way at all, but I also feel like it’s not presented as if she 100% did not. It’s more that on the balance of probabilities, she likely didn’t, but there is that remaining ambiguity there (imo).

I think this ambiguity is hinted at when the court monitor, Marge, tells Daniel to make a decision and choose ‘what he can live with’.