Movie You're Watching Tonight

Tools    

Went to watch "Killers of the flower moon" today.

I thought it was fantastic, I was gripped for all 3 and half hours. Right up there amongst Scorsese's best.

Reports say that Marty and Bobby were frustrated with Leo's performance. I think it was Leo's career best.

The leading lady has to be a strong contender to win the Oscar.

Obviously I'll need more viewings before I give it a final rating. But on first viewing then It was Scorsese's best since "The Departed" and possibly even better than that.

A system of cells interlinked
Trying to get two more films in tonight for the MoFo Halloween Challenge. I think tonight it will be films by The Vicious Brothers and Henry Joost.

A system of cells interlinked

Reports say that Marty and Bobby were frustrated with Leo's performance. I think it was Leo's career best.
Where did you hear/read this? I bet Bobby is just mad he has to wear his big boy shoes all the time and Leo doesn't.

The Third Man, rewatch. Just finished this one. And started on Gaslight 1940.
What did you think of The Third Man? It's in my top 10 of all time. Gaslight is a solid classic as well. Coincidentally both feature Joseph Cotton..

What did you think of The Third Man? It's in my top 10 of all time. Gaslight is a solid classic as well. Coincidentally both feature Joseph Cotton..
I liked The Third Man alot. It was a long time since i saw it.

I must say it was a good role for Cotten. He makes his way around, without the typical physical aspect you often get from this type of role in a movie.

According to IMDB, i have seen 6 films staring Cotten. But i have never taken note of the name. (Cotten starred in the 1944 version btw)

And of course there are some great camerawork in a this movie.

I'd be interested to hear your take on this one. I plan to see it, but I'm not expecting as much as I was a few months ago.
Is that because you’ve heard/read something to make you feel that way?

Still processing. It certainly wasn’t anything like I expected. I plan to see it again on Sunday, as I did enjoy it visually and thematically, and I really, really enjoyed the soundtrack, it was phenomenal.

As for the film itself, I often focus on the ‘wrong’ thing (clearly not whatever the director intended, etc), and I’ve just been going through the wokeness-related comments in the film’s own dedicated thread, but to me it was much more a spiritual successor of something like ‘Notorious’. It succeeded in making me really relate to the female character, which is no mean feat, usually I instinctively question their motives, and I think it’s useful to set aside here to what extent Mollie’s experience is affected by being a Native American woman (before the murders at least).

To me, it was in large part saying that being a wealthy woman is, well, dangerous, and all potential suitors will have ulterior motives running so deep that one might as well not bother getting close to people at all. That I found profoundly sad. I actually really liked Mollie as a character, she was sexy (I first thought that back when the trailer first came out), and I rooted for her, which again goes to show that the film does really work psychologically (I often have trouble rooting for the ‘right’ people). That was my angle, for the most part. To me, there’s a sort of universal angle to it that all human relationships can have ulterior motives and in the end, one just can’t know.

I thought DiCaprio wasn’t as great as I’d have expected, improvised delivery or not — Gladstone runs circles around him in this one imo. But yes, to me it was a study of manipulation, and I guess the fact that Mollie isn’t at all suspicious when they meet and going forward, and neither are her sisters, is a good example of both why she’s the bigger person and why she and her way of life are so very vulnerable. There’s the expected criticism I’ve seen being made that the film could have been told from her POV, which I think is fair, and maybe then we’d have seen her/her sisters’ suspiciousness/shrewdness with regards to people’s motives, if any, come through. Overall, I salute Scorsese, he clearly still has something more to give.

Rather randomly decided to rewatch this — stumbled across it on a list of good underseen horror films, and realised I’ve only seen it once.

Pretty interesting that this references the real-life Frozen Ground/Robert Hansen case.
Yeah, this is great.
I suppose the coincidence side of things does stretch credulity somewhat, but it’s a fantastic film.

This morning i watched Sweet Smell of Success.

Tonight i am starting with Notorious!

Not sure why i never concidered watching this Hitchcock movie before.

Ordinary People starting Donald Sutherland.

Should be good

Edit: I’m 30 minutes into it and it’s similar in a way to Stand By Me lol. Liking it so far.

Cat People (1982) to start the day. I will try and find a few good movies for this weekend.
I really like this film. Simone Simon was the perfect choice for the protagonist. I also like director Val Lewton's use of a now classic early jump scare: the "Lewton Bus":

[Killers of the Flower Moon] Is that because you’ve heard/read something to make you feel that way?

Still processing. It certainly wasn’t anything like I expected. I plan to see it again on Sunday, as I did enjoy it visually and thematically, and I really, really enjoyed the soundtrack, it was phenomenal.

As for the film itself, I often focus on the ‘wrong’ thing (clearly not whatever the director intended, etc), and I’ve just been going through the wokeness-related comments in the film’s own dedicated thread, but to me it was much more a spiritual successor of something like ‘Notorious’. It succeeded in making me really relate to the female character, which is no mean feat, usually I instinctively question their motives, and I think it’s useful to set aside here to what extent Mollie’s experience is affected by being a Native American woman (before the murders at least).

To me, it was in large part saying that being a wealthy woman is, well, dangerous, and all potential suitors will have ulterior motives running so deep that one might as well not bother getting close to people at all. That I found profoundly sad. I actually really liked Mollie as a character, she was sexy (I first thought that back when the trailer first came out), and I rooted for her, which again goes to show that the film does really work psychologically (I often have trouble rooting for the ‘right’ people). That was my angle, for the most part. To me, there’s a sort of universal angle to it that all human relationships can have ulterior motives and in the end, one just can’t know.

I thought DiCaprio wasn’t as great as I’d have expected, improvised delivery or not — Gladstone runs circles around him in this one imo. But yes, to me it was a study of manipulation, and I guess the fact that Mollie isn’t at all suspicious when they meet and going forward, and neither are her sisters, is a good example of both why she’s the bigger person and why she and her way of life are so very vulnerable. There’s the expected criticism I’ve seen being made that the film could have been told from her POV, which I think is fair, and maybe then we’d have seen her/her sisters’ suspiciousness/shrewdness with regards to people’s motives, if any, come through. Overall, I salute Scorsese, he clearly still has something more to give.
Yes, my anxious anticipation has leavened to a familiar suspicion after several review like this one, which seems to make some good points:
https://www.hollywoodintoto.com/kill...r-moon-review/

I wondered from the start if Scorcese's choice of David Grann's nonfiction book was made because it was a good story, or whether it was due to the subject being yet another fashionable social justice statement.

The reviewer maintains that the story is not woke but is an overly long display of missed compelling narratives.

I still want to see the picture, what with the heft of the crew involved, but I'll be approaching it with tempered expectations.

But having read your observations the movie sounds different than I've so far imagined. I'll post my thought after I've seen it.