The Movieforums Top 100 War Movies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

In the Army Now! (Assuming he hasn't been in one of these lists before) Pauly Shore, you made it. Glad you could join us.

I enjoyed Overlord, K-19 and Michael Collins, and I really like The Man Who Would be King. It's also high time I saw Sisu.

Nice, my 10 movies survived the one pointer of death and yea I know one pointer means #25 but just saying since I only got 10 films

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
This is surprise. My #25 didn't appear at the one-pointers group.
Meaning, someone else watches EU films. (...hope my ballot wasn't skipped)

Wind That Shakes The Barley was my last cut. Saw it last year and it’s fantastic.

In The Army Now cracks me up..that someone gave it a vote

1. It will and it should make it
2. It might, will be surprised if it makes it
3. It might, will be surprised if it makes it
4. Maybe
5. Maybe
6. It might, will be surprised if it makes it
7. Hopefully this makes it
8. Maybe
9. It will and it should make it
10. Maybe

Overlord, The Lucky Ones, and Combat Shock are my favorites of the 1 pointers. The Wind that Shakes the Barley was literally next on my watchlist when I stopped watching movies in June.

Yes, brand new. Never heard of this until my nephew turned me on to it. Think a collaboration between John Ford and Tarantino. Damn violent, almost to the point of cartoonish. Yet it doesn't let up. It is worthy to be upon my ballot.

Seen five of the one pointers.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
Wow, Salute for the one who gave a vote for La Grande Vadrouille [Don't Look Now: We're Being Shot At] (1966)

What an evolution in this forum!

...and what an irony.
This movie was my #2 in the Comedy Countdown and now I've even briefly considered it for my #1 for this ballot. Then, I've decided no more mistakes like giving big points for filmmakers completely unknown around. So, I've moved it to be my one-pointer. Finally, I cut it in the last minute which enabled it to appear now thanks to another film appreciator.

Two geniuses of the comedy genre in one of the most entertaining movies ever made!

War movies are not exactly my favorite genre (actually I tend to avoid them), so putting together a ballot for this proved a little challenging. I think very few of my votes will make the list proper, but I figured I'd give a nod to a little bit of stupid 1990's fun by putting In the Army Now at #25.

I haven't seen any of the other one-pointers.

From the 1-pointers list, I've had The Dawns Here are Quiet on my watchlist for ages. I'll admit the 3-hour runtime has kept me from putting it on some weekend.

I've seen a quarter of the one-pointers.

13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi (2016)
Defiance (2008)
Overlord (2018)
The Long Voyage Home (1940)
The Man Who Would Be King (1975)
The Wind That Shakes the Barley (2006)

The last two I watched in preparation for this countdown, though I didn't end up adding anything new to my ballot.

Yeah, I've also seen Overlord and Wind that Shakes the Barley.

I watched Man Who Would Be King in middle school on a busted VHS tape that did the thing where the picture is constantly drifting up the TV screen and jacked up audio. Our overwhelmed teacher was like "Just get what you can out of it." So I don't think that exactly counts.

I knew I forgot Wind That Shakes the Barley. That should've been a top 10 for mine, easy. Uggh. Missed a few when in a rush.

Have sat through 11 of the 1-pointers...

Defiance
In the Army Now
Journey's End
K-19 Widowmaker
Michael Collins
Operation Petticoat
Overload
Sisu
The Siege of Firebase Gloria
Wind That Shakes the Barley
Windtalkers

Defiance (2008)
Ike: Countdown to D-Day (2005)
Operation Petticoat (1959)
The Man Who Would Be King (1975)
Windtalkers (2002)
The Lucky Ones (2008)

I've seen these and all were good. The Man Who Would Be King was really good I considered that for my ballot. Ike:Countdown to D-Day was a good look at the planning of operation Overlord. Windtalkers is a neat and true story of a Navajo soldier who used his Navajo language as a code language that the Japanese couldn't break. The Lucky Ones I watched in an HoF, good character development. Defiance with Daniel Craig is worth watching and Operation Petticoat is just plain fun!

The rest of the 1 pointers that I haven't seen sound interesting, I hope to watch them. Good Choices Everyone!

The Siege of Firebase Gloria (1989) was my 1 pointer. Not the biggest budget Vietnam war film but it has guts and tells the story from both sides that's something that alot of Nam films don't do. Plus it stars the great R. Lee Emery. If you liked him in Full Metal Jacket you'll love him here.

"In Vietnam even the girls have balls."

Of the 1-Pointers, the only ones I've seen are Operation Petticoat, Overlord, The Long Voyage Home, The Man Who Would Be King, and Windtalkers.

Of the one pointers, I have seen Operation Petticoat, Michael Collins and The Windtalkers (which may be my one-pointer but I can't be sure as I can't find my ballot.)