The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I think this is how I feel about the Sunrise movies. The main difference being that I don't think we are ever meant to take Tarantinos dialogue as anything related to the real world.
I'm a bit the opposite. I think that the kind of people who we are seeing in the Sunrise films are a bit pretentious in their own way and would have that kind of rapport. Even taking Tarantino's writing as a sort of heightened/unreal version of how people would speak (which is how I try to see it), it still doesn't work for me. It's artificial in a way that repels me rather than pulling me in.

Ever since his performance in that Black Mirror episode back in 2011, I grew into quite a fan of Daniel Kaluuya. Nice to see Get Out make it this high. I have it at #31 myself.

The Hateful Eight is a future classic snow Western with an engaging chamber room-whodunnit mystery set up. It has a crazy good cast, an original score composed, orchestrated and conducted by the legendary Maestro Morricone, a perfect intro scene and gorgeous wide frame cinematography. My #13.

SEEN 66/82
BALLOT 16/25

I'm a bit the opposite. I think that the kind of people who we are seeing in the Sunrise films are a bit pretentious in their own way and would have that kind of rapport. Even taking Tarantino's writing as a sort of heightened/unreal version of how people would speak (which is how I try to see it), it still doesn't work for me. It's artificial in a way that repels me rather than pulling me in.

I think they are pretentious characters (even though you'll rarely find fans of the film considering them as such), but even as someone who for a period was surrounded by pretentious people, I feel the approach to the way they are speaking is sort of tone deaf to the cadences and rhythms of these conversations.

Similar to those who claim that stoner burnouts talk like the characters in Kevin Smith movies. No. No they don't. Again, I spent years surrounded by these types and it's a bad approximation.

The defense I've heard for Sunrise, is that the manner in how they speak comes off as rehearsed because they are sort of auditioning for eachother. I think that is a fair defence, but not enough to win me over. For a similar quality to that, I just watched What Happened Was last night (about a first date) that has a similar kind of a written quality to the patter to the conversation, as if they've rehearsed these conversations in their head before, but what is does better is you see how real life foils things from coming out perfectly. As a result you get a sense of the conversation being born in the moment, which is what I think I needed from Sunset.

Now these movies have very different aims, but I'm mainly talking about how it's possible to have sort of artificial sounding dialogue that can still ring true. Normally Linklater can do this for me but he's just off with those movies, to my ears.

And I get Tarantino's not working for someone. But my point is mostly his has a much lower bar in this manner to rise to. I'm don't look to his movies for emotion. At least not so much through the characters. I look at his films for their form (on the more artistic side) and just pure escapist fun/thrills (on the entertainment side). I think the only movie of his that would have faltered on this level would have been with the Margot Robbie charcter in Hollywood, and maybe thats one of the reasons why she has so little dialogue. If she had those Quentin Tarantino quirks I don't think the film could have worked like it does.

And if none of this makes sense, it's because I'm writing it in a broom closet at work and don't have the time to double check what I just wrote

Hateful Eight was fun, but it's probably my least favorite Tarantino. I barely remember the logistics of the story even. Weird, because everything seems to be right where it should, great cast and performances, cool premise, and setting, but it just didn't click with me as, for example, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

Get Out was another fun film, well crafted and acted, but I never went as crazy as most people about it. This is the quick blurb I wrote back in 2017 when I saw it:

The film carries a lot of surprises, one of which is the fact that comedy-man Jordan Peele manages to deliver a competent horror/thriller/suspense film. The second surprise is the confident performance from Daniel Kaaluya who pretty much carries the film effortlessly. The other surprises are in the script, but they're not really big, big surprises. However, Peele knows how to build things up to create tension. I'm not entirely sold out on some things, but I did enjoy it quite a bit.
To sum it up, I think the last act felt a bit off for me, and I really didn't enjoy Lil' Rel Howery's character.

Here's where I'm at, including the chances for the rest of my list...

Seen: 63/82

My ballot:  

Percentage adjustment coming soon!

And I get Tarantino's not working for someone. But my point is mostly his has a much lower bar in this manner to rise to.
No, I gotcha. There's no selling point of his films that the dialogue is "realistic".

And if none of this makes sense, it's because I'm writing it in a broom closet at work and don't have the time to double check what I just wrote
Don't worry. Tarantino only deserves to be defended from a shameful hiding place like an employer's broom closet.

I generally don't care when films I don't like make these lists, but I have to say it's beginning to tickle me that it is seeming less and less likely that The Conjuring is going to make it.

If it can begin to fade into semi obscurity on a list like this, which is pretty much championing lots of popular crowd pleasing fare, my decades long belief that it has no lasting power due to its unbelievable blandness seems to be coming true.
I thought if The Conjuring was going to happen, it would have happened in the bottom half. It's fine for what it is, but I don't think it was ever considered top of its genre class for the decade.

The Babadook not making it stings though. I think there was some backlash against the kid in that one (although I do think it ends up working in the film's favor).

I forgot the opening line.
20. The Hateful Eight - I like The Hateful Eight, by anyone's reckoning it's a great film. It unfortunately comes attached to the Tarantino name, which brings with it all kinds of expectations and comparisons. If you let go of all of that, you'll find very well-written characters with first-rate actors bringing them to life so vividly it's a shock when each one of them dies. Even the "surprise" character late in the film can provide us with a moment of absolute astonishment. I don't know where to rank this amongst Tarantino's films - but it's not near the top, and almost has the feeling of a stopgap kind of film for him while he was gathering his thoughts about his next masterpiece. Using those pieces of music from Ennio Morricone? Absolute genius - it's wonderful. Some might even consider this a return to form after the bloated Inglourious Basterds and Django Unchained, as it's much tighter, well paced and it has much more attention paid to the finer details. Love it - but it couldn't find a place on my list.

19. Get Out - Wow - pretty high for Get Out! This was an attention-grabbing film when it came out, and had a feel of perfection about it, which is almost impossible for a film of this genre to attain - but still, we didn't know how enduring it would be. So far, after a little more than 5 years it's still front and center, with no cracks in it's façade and it's undeniable power not diminished. I'm loathe to talk about race when talking about films - it always seems like being in a chemistry lab in university, and again I'm terrified because I know I'm dealing with volatile substances. Anyway - we needed the likes of Jordan Peele, and he's just reaffirmed his esteem with Nope - a popular success, and one of the best films of 2022. Anyway, I still love Get Out despite repeated viewings and the passing of time. It was #21 on my list, so only good for a few points but there was no way I could leave it off my list considering my feelings about it. A film not only for our times, but hopefully the future.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Seen 74/82

Films on my radar : 3
Films I've never even heard about : 5

Films from my list : 10

#19 - My #21 - Get Out (2017)
#21 - My #3 - Inside Llewyn Davis (2013)
#25 - My #20 - Portrait of a Lady on Fire (2019)
#41 - My #16 - Melancholia (2011)
#54 - My #11 - Under the Skin (2013)
#60 - My #4 - Joker (2019)
#64 - My #8 - Manchester by the Sea (2016)
#71 - My #12 - Ida (2013)
#93 - My #15 - It Follows (2014)
#96 - My #1 - Hereditary (2018)

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Love both The Hateful Eight and Get Out but neither made my list. They're both highly re-watchable for me though.

My List so far:
#2. Moonrise Kingdom #37
#4. Silver Linings Playbook #24
#5. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri #44
#6. True Grit #40
#10. Hell or High Water #73
#11. Zero Dark Thirty #58
#15. Edge of Tomorrow #68
#24. Gone Girl #65

Haven't seen either one, My parents, namely my father, have recommended Get Out and when I forget the spoiler given to me by someone online, I can watch if.

Haven't seen either one, My parents, namely my father, have recommended Get Out and when I forget the spoiler given to me by someone online, I can watch if.
It's not a film that hinges only on its plot twists and turns. In fact, it plays just as well knowing exactly what's coming because there's some really excellent foreshadowing and things you notice on a rewatch that fit with how everything goes down.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Annihilation. What a bummer, it sucks.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I watched The Hateful Eight for the Westerns Countdown, and surprisingly, I liked it. I didn't like that it was so bloody, but it was a great mystery movie. However, due to all the blood, I haven't had any desire to rewatch it, and it had no chance to make my list.

I watched Get Out a few years ago because it was on one of the cable movie channels, and I was curious about what all the hype was about the movie. But the only thing I remember about it is
WARNING: "SPOILERS about "Get Out"!!!" spoilers below
that it had something to do with a black guy who is dating a white woman, and her family kidnaps him to somehow use him so that they can live longer.
It didn't make much sense to me then, and I didn't care enough to watch it again to figure it out.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
mark f

I couldn't find any ratings/reviews mark f wrote for Get Out.

Neither film made mark f's ballot.

This was the only thing I could find that Mark wrote about Get Out:

Get Out (Jordan Peele, 2017)

Things get more than a little weird when photographer Daniel Kaluuya visits his girlfriend’s family’s country home on the weekend.

Welcome to the human race...
Did you miss the memo then?
Heh, that's just how my ranking shook out. Not about to dock this a point for the sake of trying to be clever.