The 29th Hall of Fame

Tools    

I forgot the opening line.
Alright - @ueno_station54 @Okay @Allaby @Citizen Rules @SpelingError @rauldc14 @Wyldesyde19 @cricket@Torgo @Siddon

The votes have been added, double checked and triple checked and the results are in. In 20 hours from now - 5pm on the West Coast of the U.S., 8pm on the East Coast of the U.S. I'll be doing the reveal. You won't want to miss it, although I'm trying to keep a poker face so as not to reveal the result I have here on my hands. Tune in - and find out - for there are surprises in store!

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

The trick is not minding
Anomalisa

The latest film from Charlie Kaufman focuses a British middle aged man, Michael Stone, in Cincinnati for a convention. He’s famous for his motivational speeches. He is also a very lonely man, on the verge of a nervous breakdown. He may also be going slightly insane.

For one thing, and this took me a bit to discover I’m afraid, everyone has the same face. They also have the same voice, which I thought was an odd choice. Even the women sounded the same as the men. Even his child. I was curious about why, but I read it was purposely done. Why though? What’s the significance?

It matters because he hears a voice, one that sounds different from all others, and upon discovering the owner, a nondescript woman named Lisa, of said voice, also looks different from everyone else. He’s elated. Here he has finally found someone unique in his world where everyone else looks and sounds the same. The fact she has a scar around her eye doesn’t detract from that. He decides to take her back to his place and to spend the night (where it gets rather x rated) and we see he has nightmares. He tells Lisa he wants to be with here, but he quickly grows annoyed with her eating habits and eventually she starts to sounds like everyone else.

So what is Kaufman saying here? What’s the message? It seems obvious Stone is going headed towards a nervous breakdown , not just by his nightmares but also through his view of the world. Is he going insane?

The animation was very nice, and you forget that you’re not looking at real people. The voice works perfectly lined up in sync with the movements.
Jennifer Jason Leigh and David Thewlis but are a credit to how their voices help give their characters personality.
Thewlis sounds so weary and exhausted. While Leigh sounds so vibrant and alive and happy in sharp contrast. She manages to convey her insecurities and shyness through her tone.

Such a great film I’ve been meaning to see for so long. I’m glad I finally have

movies can be okay...
I think Das Boot will win this.
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

My prediction

1. Goldfinger
2. Invasion of the Body Snatchers
3. Anomalisa
4. A Moment of Innocence
5.The Year My Voice Broke
6. Das Boot
7. La Promise
8. Tomboy
9. Vengeance is Mine
10. Stoszak
11. Robot

I'll say

1. The Promise
2. Goldfinger
3. Invasion of the Body Snatchers
4. Das Boot
5. Anomalisa
6. A Moment of Innocence
7. The Year My Voice Broke
8. Vengeance is Mine
9. Tomboy
10. Stroszek
11. Robot

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
1. The Promise
2. Goldfinger
3. Das Boot
4. Invasion
5. Moment of Innocence
6. Anomalisa
7. Stroszek
8. Year My Voice Broke
9. Tomboy
10. Vengeance
11. Robot

Hope I'm wrong with Year my Voice Broke

I'll guess:

1. Goldfinger
2. Das Boot
3. Invasion of the Body Snatchers
4. Anomalisa
5. Tomboy
6. A Moment of Innocence
7. The Promise
8. Robot
9. The Year My Voice Broke
10. Vengeance is Mine
11. Stoszak

Robot got some pretty positive reviews from a few different people though, so I don't think it will be last. It doesn't deserve to be last, in my opinion. It was fairly fun and entertaining.

I think the overall scoring will be very close so hard to call #1 but look for Anomalisa to be a dark horse winner.

Tomboy
will be last, Robot will be #9. Though people liked both of those films, I did too.

1. Anomalisa
2. Das Boot
3. Goldfinger
4. The Promise
5. Invasion of the Body Snatchers
6. The Year My Voice Broke
7. A Moment of Innocence
8. Stroszek
9. Robot
10. Vengeance is Mine
11. Tomboy

I think the overall scoring will be very close so hard to call #1 but look for Anomalisa to be a dark horse winner.

Tomboy
will be last, Robot will be #9. Though people liked both of those films, I did too.

1. Anomalisa
2. Das Boot
3. Goldfinger
4. The Promise
5. Invasion of the Body Snatchers
6. The Year My Voice Broke
7. A Moment of Innocence
8. Stroszek
9. Robot
10. Vengeance is Mine
11. Tomboy
I would be shocked if Tomboy was last. It got mostly positive or slightly mixed reviews, nothing really bad.

I would be shocked if Tomboy was last. It got mostly positive or slightly mixed reviews, nothing really bad.
That's very true. I think it will be last because nobody seemed to really love it, so I'm guessing it didn't score many points.