Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame VI

Tools    

I’m A Fugitive Of The Chain Gang, that was in the 1930s HoF Part 2 and finished mid pack. A few of the members had the same reaction as you. I first seen this 20 years ago and was blown away but on the second watch I only liked it but not loved it.

Still a great film from a cinema historical viewpoint as it was written by a man who was still on the lam during the making of the film and it helped to bring about changes with corrupt prison systems especially in the south. Paul Muni was the man back in the early 30s, today we don't hear much about him. My favorite character was Glenda Farrell, oh she was so wicked!
I read a lot of good things about him after watching this, I wasn’t particularly impressed. Don’t like Scarface either. Just noticed he’s in Emile Zola, which I did think was pretty good. Watched it earlier in the year but didn’t recognize it was the same character.

The stuff with Glenda Farrell was pretty good but, again, extremely underdeveloped and rushed.

I read a lot of good things about him after watching this, I wasn’t particularly impressed. Don’t like Scarface either. Just noticed he’s in Emile Zola, which I did think was pretty good. Watched it earlier in the year but didn’t recognize it was the same character.

The stuff with Glenda Farrell was pretty good but, again, extremely underdeveloped and rushed.
Yeah the original Scarface wasn't my favorite either I think that's because it's such an early talkie that it's not quite as 'polished' as what we're use to. I haven't seen Emile Zola I was hoping it might be picked for me this time. My favorite Paul Muni was The Good Earth (1937).

They Shoot Horses, Don't They? (1969) This is one I had heard a lot about it and had been meaning to watch for a while. I had heard it was an excellent film, but also very dark and depressing, so I was anticipating and dreading it at the same time. Now that I have seen it, I can confirm it is indeed a very well made film and an extremely bleak one. Directed by Sydney Pollack, the film stars Jane Fonda, Michael Sarrazin, Susannah York, and Gig Young, in an Oscar winning performance. It's set during the Great Depression and involves a group of desperate people competing in a gruelling and exhausting dance marathon in order to try and win money. Performances are excellent from the entire cast. Standouts for me are Fonda, York, and Young. The film is well directed and effective at conveying the emotions and experience of the characters to the viewer. They Shoot Horses, Don't They? is incendiary and packs a punch. It feels like an indictment of society and the way we treat each other, especially those most in need. My only quibble with the film is that it may actually be too bleak. There isn't any hope or light here. There doesn't seem to be any solutions offered to make things better. And that may have been intentional on the part of the filmmakers. All things considered, I'm still glad I finally saw this very bleak, very well made film.

I forgot the opening line.
I saw They Shoot Horses, Don't They? years ago, and it's time I watched it again to refresh my memory as everything except for the ending (which includes the titular quote) has faded. It's one of those movies where what it's about is encapsulated in that last scene and quote, and that's what you take away from it. One of David Bowie's music videos is set during a dance marathon, 'Never Let Me Down' - it was one of Jean-Baptiste Mondino's early ones, and featured Joe Dallesandro. It was a so-so song, but most of Bowie's music videos are interesting in some way.

I've never seen I’m A Fugitive Of The Chain Gang.

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

someone nominated they shoot horses, don't they? for me the last time i was in one of these and i thought it was a great pick, so this time i decided to return the favor and nominate it for allaby. glad you liked it!
criticker

I forgot the opening line.

Double Indemnity - 1944

Directed by Billy Wilder

Written by Raymond Chandler & Billy Wilder
Based on a novel by James M. Cain

Starring Fred MacMurray, Barbara Stanwyck, Edward G. Robinson
Jean Heather & Byron Barr

Yes, I killed him. I killed him for money - and a woman - and I didn't get the money and I didn't get the woman. Pretty, isn't it?
It was that time of night. Free and easy time. Time to kick back. Time to watch a picture. But which picture? I needed a picture that had everything. Murder. A gorgeous girl. Betrayal. Money. A Billy Wilder picture. Double Indemnity. And baby, that picture purred like a kitten. It hit like a champ. It had all the bells and whistles and rang a blew them to Sunday and back. That's as good a time as any to segue into some kind of normality here (as opposed to Raymond Chandler-inspired dialogue) and say that Double Indemnity is a classic that still packs a punch today, and is every bit as enjoyable as another Wilder classic I love - Sunset Boulevard. These films did more than inspire countless other film noir classics, they helped to define the genre itself and stand as a testament to the man's filmmaking ability. They're my kind of film noir - never becoming needlessly convoluted or complex. Films that have a perfect balance between the visual, auditory and story aspects of what they have to offer.

Double Indemnity starts with Walter Neff (Fred MacMurray) staggering in to his insurance company offices and confessing into a dictaphone - admitting that a recent accident claim involved no accident, but murder, and addressing his close friend and coworker Barton Keyes (Edward G. Robinson). The confession takes us back to Neff visiting the Dietrichsons to try and renew an automobile policy for a Mr. Dietrichson (Tom Powers) but coming into contact with his wife, Phyllis Dietrichson (Barbara Stanwyck) instead. Phyllis is dressed only in a towel, and immediately there's sexual chemistry between them - on subsequent visits Neff learns how disaffected Phyllis is with her marriage, and he finds a real world outlet for something that's often on his mind - a way to cheat his own insurance company on a phony claim for life insurance. He thinks he knows it all, and also knows the mind of his friend Keyes well enough to pull it off. He decides taking out a double indemnity clause on Mrs. Dietrichson's husband would benefit them further, and that he can arrange an "accident" on a train that'll pay off double. Neff and Phyllis pull off the murder, but Nef later learns something from his lover's daughter, Lola (Jean Heather) that leaves him with the uncomfortable feeling that he's been played for a fool.

The twists and turns in Double Indemnity are hard to lay out neatly, but when measured up they do fit ever so neatly together. It's one of those very rare movies that I can only sum up as being perfect - inasmuch as there is not one small criticism I can level at it. Every aspect of the film distinguishes itself in a way that's perfect for the other parts, and defined the newly emerging genre of film noir. From the very start, the film confronts us visually with dark shadows and foreboding blackness seeping from every corner. As soon as we hear MacMurray's Neff talk into the dictaphone we notice that his dialogue is crisp, clever and has an edgy wit about it that became common to the genre and was a trademark of screenwriter Raymond Chandler. From the opening credits we get to hear the powerful main theme from Miklós Rózsa's score. The story, adapted from a James M. Cain novel, is hard-boiled and murderously sordid and dark. Director Billy Wilder, in the meantime, was as perceptive and ingenious as ever. Fred MacMurray (playing against type), Barbara Stanwyck and Edward G. Robinson give performances that are close to their very best. It all adds up to a film that has become one of the great classics.

To help produce the optic style of this early noir film, Wilder had the best cinematographer at Paramount to help him. John F. Seitz pushed the film's obsession with dark shadows to it's limits, and included interesting touches such as the shadows of venetian blinds often falling across our characters like prison bars, and simulating visible dust particles in beams of light by using small filings of aluminum that would show up clearly on film. They both wanted to push the film towards a kind of German Expressionistic style, with light and shadow playing a prominent part in many shots. Although Wilder was often a director who preferred simplicity in his shots, there is some nice work here - for example, the shot at the beginning of the film where we follow Stanwyck's Phyllis down the stairs, catch sight of her ankle bracelet which had been mentioned earlier, and follow her around the corner to Neff where we see both characters in a mirror. The shots are full of sharp camera angles. The blocking is interesting, and notable (Citizen Kane and The Rules of the Game coming just a few years previously) is the deep focus used at times - for example in a scene at Neff's apartment where both Phyllis and Keyes appear, Neff trying to hide the former. All of this cinematography is wonderful to watch, even nearly 80 years after the production.

Adding to that is a score from Miklós Rózsa which I absolutely loved - and when it comes to films from this era, I'm often a little overwhelmed and distracted by film scores. This is one that stays with us, in perfect rhythm, and feels like a real musical representation of what's happening. There are the usual cues, but all of them feel right (take the one where Neff opens a door to see Keyes standing when he's expecting Phyllis - there's a momentary, split-second instrumental reaction that feels like it originates in our own mind.) In the meantime, we keep returning to that great main theme which keeps at us relentlessly through the whole film, but always sounds different depending on what's happening. Parts have been adapted from Cesar Franck's 'Symphony in D' - composed in 1888 - a piece of music that sounds like a film score for a noir movie in itself. All of this makes for an edgy, moody score that has a great amount of power behind it when it needs to have it. It's one of the best scores I've heard from this period of cinema, and works with the other aspects of this film in perfect unison.

Fred MacMurray was used pretty much exclusively for lighthearted romantic comedies at the time this was made, and had to be persuaded over a period of time to accept the role - which he thought might be a big mistake for all involved. It is without doubt my favourite MacMurray performance, and has to go down as just about his greatest film. He has all the appearances and sound of being the cool, easy going, stylish insurance salesman who, as the film goes on, gets further and further out of his depth. Barbara Stanwyck, in the meantime, comes to us in an outrageously 'fake' wig, appearing every part the superficial and phoney person who just wants to use people for her own benefit. Often mentioned is the transformation she makes during the last few minutes of her life, when she realises she just might love Neff after all. Her role in this film solidified her as an actress of great ability, and she won an 'alternate' Oscar in Danny Peary's Alternate Oscars book. Jean Heather and Byron Barr are both solid as Lola Dietrichson and Nino Zachette respectively.

It's important to note though, that this film is a love story between two men - MacMurray's Neff and Edward G. Robinson's Keyes, who share a deep and abiding bond working together. At several times during the film Neff declares his love for Keyes, and Keyes admits how close they are during the film's closing moments. It's Neff's constant daydreaming about Keye's ability to sniff out insurance fraud that leads him to become obsessed about how he could possibly be fooled. The entire film is Neff's confession to Keyes, which in hindsight is a sad reflection of a betrayal - but that doesn't alter the fact that the bond between them is probably unbreakable. They share many scenes together, Robinson really getting to the heart of matters with his easy manner. Keyes never suspects Neff, simply because he's too close to him to suspect him. When Neff tells Keyes that he probably never would have suspected someone working just a few feet away from him, Keyes tells him that it was someone, "Closer than that."

Other than all of that, this film has a great many memorable moments, such as the one where, after dumping the body of Mr. Dietrichson on the train tracks, their getaway car fails to start. If that car doesn't start, then they'll be surely caught, so the anxiety builds and builds as they try to start it. This wasn't in the initial script, and only came into the film when, after shooting that very scene, Wilder's car failed to start leaving the studio, after which the idea hit him and they reshot it with that added event. Moments of suspense are commonplace as Neff or Phyllis are nearly caught, whether it be by an unfortunate witness to the action on the train, or by Keyes as he makes an unannounced visit to Neff. Even when Phyllis and Neff meet at a grocery store, we're on edge lest they be discovered talking and conspiring together. When Mr. Dietrichson unknowingly signs the life insurance form Neff could be caught. Or else there's watching Stanwyck's face as her husband is being killed in the car seat next to her. We're always engaged and in suspense.

The original novel has been adapted perfectly, and there has been much changed. In the novel Neff and Phyllis commit suicide together by jumping into shark-infested waters, and Phyllis turns out to be something of a homicidal maniac - having needlessly killed many patients when she was a nurse. In the film she only ever killed the original Mrs. Dietrichson so she could marry her husband. The dialogue has also been greatly reworked, which was key, because the dialogue we get in this adaptation is one of the great things about the film. It was a novel that was at first thought to be unfilmable due to the Hays Office objecting to many of the more sordid elements in it - and it took a number of years before Paramount decided to move ahead despite the Hays Office objecting. It was exactly the right move, with nobody objecting once the film was in production. There were initial worries about the infamous 'towel' scene, and the scene were Mr. Dietrichson's body is dumped on the tracks - but in the end we were thankfully allowed the wonderful film we got.

I was pleasantly surprised when I first watched Sunset Boulevard, for in spite of that film's solid reputation, I thought it's age and plot might conspire to make it fall short in my own estimation. Instead it turned out to be one of the best I've ever seen. Exactly the same goes for Double Indemnity, which I thought might have one of those labyrinthine film noir plots - but instead I thought the film was great, and perfect in around about every way. On top of that, I'm a fan of MacMurray, and respond well to Barbara Stanwyck. I find Double Indemnity to be one of those films that feels as fresh today as it would have back when it was made - and such must surely be a timeless piece of work. I was in a great deal of suspense while watching it, and Billy Wilder had me just where he wanted every audience member to be. I've responded so well to this film that it has me eyeing up film noir as a genre that might be more to my liking than I ever imagined. The film's focus on the love between two male friends and workmates also pleasantly surprised me for how unusual, interesting and satisfying it was. I've had a great time getting to know it, and I can feel that it's going to be a film I can watch time after time - especially to hear that dialogue delivered by all involved. "Pretty, isn't it?"

The Tenant

This was unknowingly, I’m guessing, a cool choice for me. I like Polanski quite a bit but, so far, the other two movies in the apartment trilogy have been my least favorite of his. I wasn’t in a rush to see this obviously, but I did want to. I was basically just waiting till it showed up on one of my way too many streaming services. I’m surprised this is the least lauded in the trilogy because it was my favorite by a long shot.

It’s just the right kind of weird for my taste. I love the slow decent into madness trope. I also like that you never quite know what’s happening but it feels in line with what the character is going through, as opposed to just feeling like things are being left out to trick you.

I think Polanski could have picked someone else to do thus role but I also didn’t think he was bad. The quiet unassuming character fits his demeanor pretty well. I really liked Adjani as Stella in this. I don’t believe it’s an actress I have ever seen before, but she was fun and mysterious. I would call it a Shelly Duvall role. I really do wish there was more of Shelley Winters in this. She is always fantastic, and was so here.

The aesthetic is great. It’s very 70’s, and that’s my favorite thing for a movie to be aesthetically. The building feels appropriately grand, while being appropriately grimy and spooky. I love the way his apartment feels. Great sense of place in this. I also really love the ending.

Good choice for me. I think I just wrote myself into an extra half star on the rating.

Double Indemnity was actually my back-up choice for Phoenix, but someone else happened to nominate it for him anyway. It's weird that this happened three times, but it's also strangely comforting, since going into this HoF, I was not confident in my ability to recommend films haha.

In the novel Neff and Phyllis commit suicide together by jumping into shark-infested waters
Maybe the novel handles the wording better, but that just sounds so stupid. I'm glad the film decided to go another route.

...I think I just wrote myself into an extra half star on the rating.
Ha, I've done that too. Back when I use to write reviews often the reviews wrote themselves and told me what to think of the movie, spooky I haven't seen The Tenant, not sure if I'd like it, but I do enjoy Shelley Winters' performances.

I have no idea what I thought the plot of Being John Malkovich was going to be, but I know I never imagined anything even remotely close to this.
Yeah I spent my entire first viewing just repeatedly saying “What the f***?!” and finished it having no idea what I thought of it. It took a few more tries before I could even confidently say I liked it, but obviously I love it now.

The Tenant

I really liked Adjani as Stella in this. I don’t believe it’s an actress I have ever seen before, but she was fun and mysterious.
You should check out Possession. It showcases Adjani's acting talents really well.

Double Indemnity is great, but it's always been picked for whoever hasn't seen it by the time I make my choices lol

Seen The Tenant once. I can't really remember it but I know I didn't care for it.