The Game of Thrones appreciation thread

Tools    

Just anything related to a series that isnt going away anytime soon. The next spinoff series will be called SNOW with Kip Harrington (of course).

You ready? You look ready.
I appreciated it when it ended
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Should I watch the House of Dragons show? Im still mad at HBO for cancelling Raised By Wolves, and everything else.

Is HOD like the last 2 seasons of GOT, very little GRRM to see?

Should I watch the House of Dragons show? Im still mad at HBO for cancelling Raised By Wolves, and everything else.

HOD has very good reviews.

House of the Dragon is worth checking out. The first two episodes are pretty good.

The Adventure Starts Here!
HOD has very good reviews.
And that article link posted above mentions the new series... and that Martin has a heavy hand in it. I do think it's starting very strong (we're two episodes in), and I'm enjoying it so far.

It’s probably the dullest show I’ve felt compelled to watch. The writing is pretty bad when you look at it as “just another show” and not through the lens of madness.

It’s probably the dullest show I’ve felt compelled to watch. The writing is pretty bad when you look at it as “just another show” and not through the lens of madness.
You reeeeeeally don't like this show/series/franchise/world. Have you read the books, by any chance?

Also, you'll be thrilled to hear they have already sanctioned season 2 of House of Dragons.

You reeeeeeally don't like this show/series/franchise/world. Have you read the books, by any chance?

Also, you'll be thrilled to hear they have already sanctioned season 2 of House of Dragons.
I just don’t like shows with bad writing, which seems to be HBO’s MO these days.

And no, the books are even worse than the show.

I just don’t like shows with bad writing, which seems to be HBO’s MO these days.

And no, the books are even worse than the show.
Wow, so we're really not on the same page then. I'm not a typical fantasy reader, but I flew through all five books.

Well, to each his own. I think it helps to just say you don't care for the show or books, rather than making a proclamation about both that the writing is bad. This is such a subjective thing we're discussing. (If you're including Raising Wolves in that HBO dig, though, I'd totally agree. )

Anyway, you're here in a Game of Thrones *appreciation* thread.

Wow, so we're really not on the same page then. I'm not a typical fantasy reader, but I flew through all five books.

Well, to each his own. I think it helps to just say you don't care for the show or books, rather than making a proclamation about both that the writing is bad. This is such a subjective thing we're discussing. (If you're including Raising Wolves in that HBO dig, though, I'd totally agree. )

Anyway, you're here in a Game of Thrones *appreciation* thread.
I love fantasy, and I love dragons, so I kinda have to watch. Doesn’t mean I have to enjoy it.

Here’s a good run down of why this show’s writing is so bad:

https://www.vulture.com/article/hous...nal-lines.html

As for the books, anyone who takes 50 pages to say what can be said in 5 pages is a bad writer.

Do we even have a house of dragons thread yet? I can go complain in there

Still seeing a lot of subjective stuff here, though. I don't mind some exposition if it's setting up stuff for the future. And I am not saying this show is perfect... just that I'm enjoying it.

As for the 50 versus 5 pages thing... does that mean you loved season 8 of Game of Thrones? Because they totally rushed everything and took 5 "pages" when they probably should have taken 50.

Your "rule" about page lengths isn't fair at all. Different genres can be different lengths depending on what the readers want or expect. Historical fiction, for instance, relies on the detail of setting the scene and explaining what's going on in that time and place. It just takes time. I'd categorize some fantasy that way too, especially if it is introducing us to a different world and culture (which it totally is).

A thriller, OTOH, would crash and burn if it tried to adopt the pace of historical fiction. THAT definitely needs to be a 5-page pace instead of 50.

Again, I try not to lay down terms such as "so bad" to describe most writing, especially if it's been successful. Except for 50 Shades of Grey and the Twilight series. I mean, even I have standards.

I love fantasy, and I love dragons, so I kinda have to watch. Doesn’t mean I have to enjoy it.

Here’s a good run down of why this show’s writing is so bad:

https://www.vulture.com/article/hous...nal-lines.html

As for the books, anyone who takes 50 pages to say what can be said in 5 pages is a bad writer.

Do we even have a house of dragons thread yet? I can go complain in there

@Austruck: Martin is a good story teller but a bad writer. Sometimes you need to write 50 pages, but Martin doesn’t know the right time and place to write 50 pages.

And the last season of GoT was bad because everyone caught the “I am now stupid” disease. And they did things for the sake of it if they thought the fans wanted to see it, which was no one. Those writers on the last season wrote the version they wanted to see and not the fans, so I still don’t understand that train wreck.

Also, Sansa’s progression to Queen of the North was so sudden it bordered on comical.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
GRRM explains how long he was out of the loop during the tv series

https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainm...3c5e6f1fff3c34
Maybe he would have been more involved if he had got his 6th book out in a reasonable timeframe like 5 years! Then they could have collaborated on the ending more. To be fair season 6 was very good even though it had moved past the books.

Martin was also quoted this month as saying he's stopped trying to predict when he'll finish The Winds of Winter, which all but cements what many have suspected about him never being able/willing to finish. He's too old, too lazy and lost in the complexity of his own design. Not to mention disheartened that the TV ending, which is probably his ending was disliked.

He also said he doesn't want anyone to follow his work and that it should die with him, which is quite selfish. Though I'm not sure how much control those wishes would have posthumously, what seems like an obvious conclusion is that he eventually dies and whomever inherits his estate allows a publisher/ghost writer to finish it as best they can follow any notes left behind giving us an eventual conclusion to a book series spanning a ridiculous 35-40 years or something.

@Austruck: Martin is a good story teller but a bad writer. Sometimes you need to write 50 pages, but Martin doesn’t know the right time and place to write 50 pages.

And the last season of GoT was bad because everyone caught the “I am now stupid” disease. And they did things for the sake of it if they thought the fans wanted to see it, which was no one. Those writers on the last season wrote the version they wanted to see and not the fans, so I still don’t understand that train wreck.

Also, Sansa’s progression to Queen of the North was so sudden it bordered on comical.
Clearly we're just going to have to disagree on the subtleties here. As a writer myself, I hesitate to ever make such sweeping, all-encompassing statements as "a bad writer." Heck, I should be so bad in my lifetime.

Funny that I didn't see Sansa's progression as all that sudden (except insofar as the whole series wrap-up itself was too hurried compared to the pacing of earlier seasons).

Anyway, as I've said more than once, to each his own. I enjoyed the books and the series. Go figure.

A system of cells interlinked
A thread has no name...