The Movie Forums Top 100 Comedies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

4. To Be or Not To Be (#86)
12.Sherlock, Jr. (#56)
25. The Great Dictator (#50)

A system of cells interlinked
0 for 2 for me today, and I have not seen either film!

I am ashamed...

The Great Dictator is my favorite Chaplin and a very important film that influenced many other directors on this list. While Chaplin himself said he wouldn't have made this comedy had he known the extent of the horror of the holocaust, we're very lucky he did & it's a blessing that it's still held in such high regard. Hollywood in general was rather progressive when it came to the crisis in Europe, while the greater population turned a blind eye. Anyways the speech maybe my favorite scene in a film, ever

My List:
4. Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (1988)
6. The Great Dictator (1940)
9. Sherlock, Jr. (1924)
14. Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986)
17. The Kid (1921)
25. Scary Movie 4 (2006) (1 PT)

Always neglected Signin in the Rain, however some of these posts are swaying me towards giving it a go
It's certainly an essential watch for all cinephiles, regardless of how much you end up enjoying it.

Always neglected Signin in the Rain, however some of these posts are swaying me towards giving it a go
Would be right up there on my ballot if we ever do a 'movies made for people with hearing impediments' countdown

Seriously though as long as you're not totally averse to musicals it's worth an hour and three-quarters investment I think.

I'm always amazed to see just how much admiration Signin' in the Rain receives here at MoFo when just about every MoFo will say 'they hate musicals'. Which boggles the mind as it's such a contradiction.

Now I think Signin' in the Rain is great, but it's not all that much different than other well known musicals of the 1950s.

singin' in the rain is one of the greatest movies ever made and would've been my #2, but when i was making my list i decided that the musical element so far outweighed the comedy in my mind that i don't really think of it as a comedy, even though it is obviously very funny. certainly can't argue with anyone who chose to include it and maybe i should've done so, but it's too late to worry about that now.
criticker

The Great Dictator is brilliant and powerful. #2 on my best of Chaplin list. I'm a big fan of Singin' in the Rain too...and I don't even like musicals!

4. Sherlock, Jr. (1924)
10. Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (1988)
13. South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (1999)
15. Dazed and Confused (1993)
24. Singin' in the Rain (1952)

Hm I guess I have two musicals on my list. Isn't that something.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

I'm always amazed to see just how much admiration Signin' in the Rain receives here at MoFo when just about every MoFo will say 'they hate musicals'. Which boggles the mind as it's such a contradiction.

Now I think Signin' in the Rain is great, but it's not all that much different than other well known musicals of the 1950s.
I'm not particularly drawn to musicals, but I do feel inclined to defend musicals over other genres since it tends to be a 'safe' genre to say you dislike without expecting much backlash.

Donald O'Connor on "Fit as a Fiddle"...
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Oh man I haven’t seen Great Dictator since college.

I think of Singing in the Rain as more of a musical than a comedy but I’m not mad it’s on the countdown.

In 1986 the sixteen-year-old me had three of my favorite things unexpectedly combine one evening while watching TV*. My favorite show, "Moonlighting", had a dream sequence inspired by the "Broadway Melody" number of Singin' in the Rain set to a song by Billy Joel. Stanley Donen came in to supervise and shadow-direct the sequence. Here is "Big Man on Mulberry Street" with Maddie Hayes (Cybill Shepherd) imagining Bruce Willis' David Addison going back to New York City to see his ex-wife, a part of his past that Maddie and the audience have just learned about. Dancer/model/actress Sandahl Bergman (Conan the Barbarian, Red Sonja, All That Jazz) stands in for the imagined woman and the Cyd Charisse equivalent...

*and no, the sixteen-year-old me did not have a lot of friends

I have not seen The Great Dictator or Singin in the Rain

My Ballot so far

#8 - The Hangover (2009)
#9 - Fast Times at Ridgemont High (1982)
#11 - Step Brothers (2008)
#12 - Tropic Thunder (2008)
#17 - Mean Girls (2004)
#21 - Happy Gilmore (1996)

At the halfway point and the movies that I got right on my prediction list so far

Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery (1997)
Stripes (1981)
When Harry Met Sally (1989)
Wayne's World (1992)
Step Brothers (2008)
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (1989)
Beetlejuice (1988)
M*A*S*H (1970)
Dazed and Confused (1993)
Napoleon Dynamite (2004)
The Hangover (2009)
Happy Gilmore (1996)
Fast Times at Ridgemont High (1982)
Tropic Thunder (2008)
Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986)
National Lampoon's Vacation (1983)
Singin in the Rain (1952)

17 Right
35 Wrong

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

I had both at some point in my list, but since I was sticking more to what I've called "pure comedies", I left both out.
I think very few of the films on my list are just comedies and nothing else. Clerks and my #22 might be the only ones, actually.

Now that I'm reviewing my list, I could probably recycle most of it for a "Top 100 Satires Countdown".

I'm not particularly drawn to musicals, but I do feel inclined to defend musicals over other genres since it tends to be a 'safe' genre to say you dislike without expecting much backlash.
I'm all for people likin' what they like and hatin' what they hate...but it just seems to me that if people can really like Singin' in the Rain then there's gotta be other musicals from the same time that could also appeal to them. But what do I know of human nature

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
8. Kung Fu Hustle - A great blend of comedy and action. This film has it all. Highly enjoyable.

9. Tropic Thunder - Hilarious. The one film my wife said she would have walked out on if I weren't with her in the theatre.

11. The 40-Year Old Virgin - The one Apatow film that I think holds up. While it is a tad too long, it has the laughs to sustain it.

21. Dazed and Confused - A great hang out movie that has a stellar cast. I feel like I can drop into this movie at any moment and watch it till the end. I prefer this film to American Graffiti, which has the same style.

Suspect's Reviews

I'm all for people likin' what they like and hatin' what they hate...but it just seems to me that if people can really like Singin' in the Rain then there's gotta be other musicals from the same time that could also appeal to them. But what do I know of human nature
First thing we gotta do is find one of these people that hate musicals but had Singing In The Rain on their list.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
The Great Dictator - I cut this from my ballot, deciding not to include all Chaplin movies. In addition, it is a step down lately for me because I'm pissed out how the ruling political cartels world-wide exploit this film in their favor, constantly injecting it into the masses.
Of course, the introductory scenes with the Big Bertha howitzer are absolute comedy masterpieces.
Anyway, I've seen the movie more than a dozen times through the years.

---

Singin' in the Rain is in my re-watch list since I vaguely remember seeing it in school.

Top 100 seen 18/52.
(seen one pointers 4/42 • )
--
My list:
1. The Gold Rush (1925) [#83.]
5. The Kid (1921) [#88.]
7. One, Two, Three (1961) [#85.]

Since a couple of you have brought up Donald O'Connor, I will say that this is my favorite song/dance number from Singin' in the Rain. Yes, over the iconic title number.