A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

Ok, here's an interesting one:

Roger Ebert suggests, in his contemporaneous review, that Motel Hell is actually a sort of satire of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.
I am ruminating on this.
Thoughts?
Would need a rewatch to confirm, but seems on point.

You mean Great Alligator River?

You liked that?

Yeeeesh.
Define “liked?” It was mostly bad and lifeless but as I watched it with into the wee hours of the morning, it’s pathetic miniature work and Barbara Bach put a smirk upon my face.

It’s probably my least favorite Martino. And I’ve seen Hands of Steel.

She was good.
The movie was not. At times it actually defied any sense of... sense - at all. Things happening that essentially shouldn't have even been possible within the logic of the film. Or shit that was just stupid beyond my imagination of what a movie that was taking itself so seriously might do.
Bro. It’s a B movie that just happens to be well shot/acted. Embrace the illogic. It’s fantastic.

1) Martin
2) Blood for Dracula
3) Fright Night
4) Mary Mary Bloody Mary
5) Vampire's Kiss'

EDIT:

1) Martin
2) Blood For Dracula
3) Fright Night
4) Let the Right One In
5) Mary Mary Bloody Mary

Victim of The Night
Bro. It’s a B movie that just happens to be well shot/acted. Embrace the illogic. It’s fantastic.
I might be able to if it hadn't acted so seriously like it was trying to be a good movie about killer alligators(?). But when it does that and then doesn't even "switch tone" so much as just devolve into "is this supposed to be so bad it's good or is it just plain bad?", it just falls on its face.

Victim of The Night
1) Martin
2) Blood for Dracula
3) Fright Night
4) Mary Mary Bloody Mary
5) Vampire's Kiss'

EDIT:

1) Martin
2) Blood For Dracula
3) Fright Night
4) Let the Right One In
5) Mary Mary Bloody Mary
Well, at least you understand about Fright Night.

The trick is not minding
1) Martin
2) Blood for Dracula
3) Fright Night
4) Mary Mary Bloody Mary
5) Vampire's Kiss'

EDIT:

1) Martin
2) Blood For Dracula
3) Fright Night
4) Let the Right One In
5) Mary Mary Bloody Mary
One of these days I really need to get around to watching Martin.

I might be able to if it hadn't acted so seriously like it was trying to be a good movie about killer alligators(?). But when it does that and then doesn't even "switch tone" so much as just devolve into "is this supposed to be so bad it's good or is it just plain bad?", it just falls on its face.
It’s neither. Jaws isn’t lesser because it’s shark acts absolutely nothing like a shark should ever act (find me a single instance in shark history of anything like it leaping onto the Orca).

It’s a good movie whose alligators are malevolent movie monsters there to tear limbs and cause havoc.

It’s a roller coaster. I don’t question the logic of the Yeti when I ride Expedition Mt. Everest.

It’s nature horror. I don’t question why Tippi Hedren won’t stop chilling outside when these birds are going wild. Don’t be a “plausible.”

These alligators seem to only wanna **** up a house that shouldn’t have a basement/crawl space in Hurricane alley. Who cares? Embrace the craft, the performances and the thrills. It’s a very good to great survival horror that pairs excellently with the equally implausible The Shallows.

I chased Rogue with Primeval, another killer croc movie from the same year.

Not good. Orlando Jones' character has some.... questionable writing, but he's also giving the most charismatic peformance. Much better than Prison Break or whatever the guy's name is. Jurgen Prochnow isn't allowed to go full Quint. Also, not nearly enough croc scenes, although they do get nice and gory.

Well, at least you understand about Fright Night.

I wouldn't take any list without it very seriously.

But I also wouldn't take a list without the other four very seriously either

One of these days I really need to get around to watching Martin.

Even though I didn't like it, I watched it a bunch of times when I was in highschool. It's slow, dank pace was not my thing. Also, the fact that almost nothing about it feels like a horror movie was a problem. But it would always just linger in my head, and I'd go back and not like it again.

But then it just clicked. I began to love it. And with that came the realization that sometimes the horror in a movie is its sadness. Sometimes a horror film needs to seem lonely.

I think I have a similar story with nearly every one of my favorite horror movies. They never feel 'right' on the first viewing. And because they don't sit right, I am compelled to keep going back to them. Giving them all the time they need to plant their seeds in my brain.

I chased Rogue with Primeval, another killer croc movie from the same year.

Not good. Orlando Jones' character has some.... questionable writing, but he's also giving the most charismatic peformance. Much better than Prison Break or whatever the guy's name is. Jurgen Prochnow isn't allowed to go full Quint. Also, not nearly enough croc scenes, although they do get nice and gory.
All I remember about Primeval was profound disappointment and feeling misled as to the movie being a proper killer croc film. I don’t remember the details as to why.

I watched Rogue sun subsequently and that made all the difference.

I walk through blizzards and lizard guts just so that I can watch with you on your special nights. You know how long it takes for these past principals to realign? Waaaaaaaay longer than your psychics tell you. hahahahahahahaha

She was good.
The movie was not. At times it actually defied any sense of... sense - at all. Things happening that essentially shouldn't have even been possible within the logic of the film.
Well, could you be a little specific on what things those were, Wooley?
I walk through blizzards and lizard guts just so that I can watch with you on your special nights. You know how long it takes for these past principals to realign? Waaaaaaaay longer than your psychics tell you. hahahahahahahaha

But then it just clicked. I began to love it. And with that came the realization that sometimes the horror in a movie is its sadness. Sometimes a horror film needs to seem lonely.
I’ve always enjoyed those loneliness-themed horror films such as May, Martin etc. because to me that level of loneliness is one of the few genuinely horrifying things irl, on par with cancer. It’s true that they tend to be slow and less gory (up to a point), but I genuinely think there’s a deep-rooted horror inherent in actual real-life loneliness that surpasses any rudimentary jump scare. I read this article about Joyce Carol Vincent (who died in a London flat and lay undiscovered for over 2 years) over a decade ago, and it blew my mind, I keep returning to it mentally every few months at least. Now that’s a loneliness horror right there to beat all competition.

https://amp.theguardian.com/film/201...ry-documentary

Crawl’s pretty great.

According to Netflix I’ve seen Rogue and gave it two stars, but I don’t remember a thing about it lol.