Favorite One-Location Movies?

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
These kinds of movies seem to have a great ratio for me. The first one that comes to mind, and the earliest is "12 Angry Men", as well as: "Le Trou" - a great prison movie. "Rope" is a good one that is in real-time (not as good as the aforementioned though)

If I find any that are on YouTube (in full and free), I'll post them.

Your favorites?

"How tall is King Kong ?"
It's a genre that I adore. It doesn't have to be too strict in my book, but, aside from -obviously- 12 Angry Men :

Cuisine et Dépendances is my favorite. It's, as often with these things, the adaptation of a theatrical play, but they just added a short intro in a supermarket, and the rest takes place entirely in a kitchen. Imagine Polanski's Carnage but way, way more subtle, complex and deep. Because Jaoui and Bacri were, sorry to say, miles above Yasmina Reza (whom I find way overrated, especially when it comes to endings).

Das Boot has a few scenes in a harbor brothel or on a supply ship, but still, it's as one-location as the ultimate submarine movie can be. Okay, granted, it's a location that moves around, is it cheating ?

I do also classify The Thing as such, because the isolated Antarctica station does play a lot on that sort of claustrophobia. Being locked in with people you distrust (and might ingest you any time).

By the same standard : The Shining, although the overlook is so wide and its topology so wonky it could be numerous places just as well.

Also Sleuth. I don't remember the details of that movie, only the love I had for it.

Scare Me is a marvellous little movie, just made of conversations (and hilarious sound effects) in a remote cabin.

And I have a solid fondness for Dead Calm. Three characters, one boat (and a half), one psycho. And that weird, weird breathy soundtrack...

I'd also give some honorable mentions to :

All is Lost. A bit like Dead Calm, minus two characters. Open Water. A bit like Dead Calm or All is Lost, but without the boat under the feet. And the second half of Jaws, if I may. The whole first half prevents the movie to be classified as one-location, but damn, does the second half play it well. My Dinner with Andre is lovely, and gives you the impression of having travelled way farther than that restaurant. Garde ŕ vue is a cool film, a lot of tension between the suspect and the cop who is drilling him in that room, but I wasn't too convinced by the ending. Evil Dead and its cabin had efficiently terrified me as a teen. And Murder by Death should count too, I guess, with its and-then-there-were-none kind of manor.

(For the record : Far far far, far far at the bottom of the list is Room 1408 because haha, hahahaha, hahaha.)

It's a genre that I adore. It doesn't have to be too strict in my book, but, aside from -obviously- 12 Angry Men :

Das Boot

By the same standard : The Shining, although the overlook is so wide and its topology so wonky it could be numerous places just as well.

My Dinner with Andre is lovely, and gives you the impression of having travelled way farther than that restaurant. G

.)

I actually come here after remembering "My Dinner With Andre", which so far, is my favorite among the ones I have posted in the OP.. It was an original at that time. And not only was the best in one-location, but 99% of it was in real-time (in the first 5 minutes as they are walking to meet each other).

I keep hearing about "Das Boot", but might have had problems finding it, and I only spend the $4 rental about once a year...... Is this the movie dialogue-driven?

"The Shining" is another good example. I've seen it a handful of times, but not in 15 years or so.

I plan on watching one of the movies on my watch-list (I posted this elsewhere and got a ton of responses) soon.

I keep hearing about "Das Boot", but might have had problems finding it, and I only spend the $4 rental about once a year...... Is this the movie dialogue-driven?
Not really. It's the quintessential WW2 sub movie, so, it's mostly sweat-driven, silence-driven, and Doldinger-driven (I mean, the soundtrack is great, but I'm one post short of being allowed to post a link). It's all the tropes you know from the others (Silent Running, Torpedo Run, U-571, The Enemy Below, etc), except much better done. It blows all other submarine movies out of the water, neither before nor afterward has any movie managed to capture its grit, oppression and realism. It kinda made the whole genre pointless. But it's more about nervous sobbing than profound discussions. Its strong anti-war message is mostly conveyed through a couple of long silent glances.

(The original novel is pretty talkative though.)

Also if you liked the minimalist approach of My Dinner With André, you should check out Scare Me. It's just people telling each others invented stories and interrupting them to comment. It's like two hours of the Indianapolis narration scene from Jaws, except with improvised fictions. I really wish it would turn into a genre.

I never lose an opportunity to pimp this film... Conspiracy (2001)

Who can forget My Dinner With Andre, which never moved more than a few feet. It was not only one location, but one table. Two guys sit in a Manhattan restaurant and talk about stuff. It's been a while, but I recall that, aside from entering the restaurant, nobody moved more than it took to shift their feet under the table. I don't know how they managed to spend 475K on the budget. Dinner even managed to get a 92 from Rotten Tomatoes.

Not really. It's the quintessential WW2 sub movie, so, it's mostly sweat-driven, silence-driven, and Doldinger-driven (I mean, the soundtrack is great, but I'm one post short of being allowed to post a link). It's all the tropes you know from the others (Silent Running, Torpedo Run, U-571, The Enemy Below, etc), except much better done. It blows all other submarine movies out of the water, neither before nor afterward has any movie managed to capture its grit, oppression and realism. It kinda made the whole genre pointless. But it's more about nervous sobbing than profound discussions. Its strong anti-war message is mostly conveyed through a couple of long silent glances.

(The original novel is pretty talkative though.)

Also if you liked the minimalist approach of My Dinner With André, you should check out Scare Me. It's just people telling each others invented stories and interrupting them to comment. It's like two hours of the Indianapolis narration scene from Jaws, except with improvised fictions. I really wish it would turn into a genre.

Thanks..

I'll look up that movie. Appreciate it!

The Sunset Limited is a film I like very much, I like the discussion, the acting, the set, the environment, you can fell New York City. Rear Window is a very well known film, I don't need to talk anything about it, I'm sure almost everyone here know it. The Man from Earth is a film I don't really liked very much, at least the first time I saw it, it's about a man that's been here since the time of Christ, I actually think he was Christ in the film, I can't recall, anyway, this guy is like a chameleon trough the ages in the planet and in one reunion with colleges and tells them and try to convince them. Phone Booth is also a very well known movie, one of my favorite Colin Farrell's movies, maybe the tiniest place one has acted. Dog Day Afternoon, to me the Sidney's Lumet greatest, also one of the best Al Pacino's performances.

The Man from Earth is a film I don't really liked very much, at least the first time I saw it, it's about a man that's been here since the time of Christ, I actually think he was Christ in the film, I can't recall, anyway, this guy is like a chameleon trough the ages in the planet and in one reunion with colleges and tells them and try to convince them. Phone Booth is also a very well known movie, one of my favorite Colin Farrell's movies, maybe the tiniest place one has acted. Dog Day Afternoon, to me the Sidney's Lumet greatest, also one of the best Al Pacino's performances.

I found it to be a silly movie (the man from earth), but I LOVE "Dog Day Afternoon"... The only music you hear is in the beginning, "Amoreena" by Elton John (don't know why that just came into my mind)

"The Shining" is another good example. I've seen it a handful of times, but not in 15 years or so.
That'd be my pick.

Have you seen Session 9? That's a great one-location film.

Check out 'Lebanon'. It's like Das Boot in a tank.

Climax?
Does 'Cries and Whispers' count?

Coherence?
The Passion of Joan or Arc?
The Lighthouse?
Moon?
Bo Burnham: Inside
The Naked Island?
Russian Ark
Krisha
Kajaki

2 new ones that might count:
Oxygen
Shiva Baby

Thanks for the recommendation, but I boycott apartheidisrael
Speaking exclusively to the Observer, Maoz said: "The point of a film like mine is to open a dialogue, to get people talking to each other about important issues. This is something you can't do if films are boycotted. It makes no sense to boycott art. Maybe I wouldn't have won if Jane Fonda was on the jury, but she wasn't."

The film, with its powerful anti-war message, has proved controversial in Israel. Although it has not yet been widely released, some commentators have raised concerns that the film will deter young men from volunteering for the army. According to the director, there were powerful figures in Israel opposed to the film competing at Venice.
Source : https://www.theguardian.com/film/200...-film-festival

No country, culture or society is monolithic. If you oppose one State's policies, maybe you should support the dissenting voices within it, and the artists who, within a society, offer to it their alternative viewpoints, rather than blanketing them with some global boycott.

That said, I haven't seen that film, so I don't know exactly its perspective. I only advocate for individual benefits of doubt, in such situations. And I support movies raising questions even if they don't go far enough, or show clumsinesses of their own. Hey, I really, really love The Beast of War (sounds like a similar theme, but about a Russian tank in Afghanistan), which narrative could be debated to no end, but has an interesting voice of its own.

Also, unrelated to the one-location genre, Waltz with Bashir is an Israeli movie denouncing Israel's responsibility in the Sabra and Chatila massacre. Are you certain you would want to be on the side that would boycott it ?

I'm not saying these are easy questions, but I still find blanket boycotts easily fratricide, absurdly punishing allies. It should be a more focused tool.

Room with Brie Larson would fall into this category.

Source : https://www.theguardian.com/film/200...-film-festival

No country, culture or society is monolithic. If you oppose one State's policies, maybe you should support the dissenting voices within it, and the artists who, within a society, offer to it their alternative viewpoints, rather than blanketing them with some global boycott.

That said, I haven't seen that film, so I don't know exactly its perspective. I only advocate for individual benefits of doubt, in such situations. And I support movies raising questions even if they don't go far enough, or show clumsinesses of their own. Hey, I really, really love The Beast of War (sounds like a similar theme, but about a Russian tank in Afghanistan), which narrative could be debated to no end, but has an interesting voice of its own.

Also, unrelated to the one-location genre, Waltz with Bashir is an Israeli movie denouncing Israel's responsibility in the Sabra and Chatila massacre. Are you certain you would want to be on the side that would boycott it ?

I'm not saying these are easy questions, but I still find blanket boycotts easily fratricide, absurdly punishing allies. It should be a more focused tool.

It worked in South Africa.

The Stranger, Sleuth, Das Boot, Saw, 12 Angry Men and Guess Who's Coming to Dinner do come to mind.

Thanks for the recommendation, but I boycott apartheidisrael
The irony being that both Samuel Maoz' films are fervently anti-Israel and were officially denounced by the country's Minister of culture.