Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

They do talk about payola, and how initially if someone gave a bad review that the advertisers would go elsewhere. It also talks about the studios dishing out big bucks to the critics with 1st class private flying, nice hotels, etc., and it's a good investment, since one critic could bring in a lot of people who would never see it otherwise. After I was finished with the documentary and would google a few names, with keywords similar to "payola", probably used "controversy", to see all of the accusations of quid pro quo. The Paulettes vs. the Crowtheys, recruiting young, new critics to their club to solidify their positions/theories. I also read about how some would give awful movies good reviews, some who made cameos in the movie, which is too obvious, so Harry Knowles gave it a bad review. I bet critics "trade" to avoid suspicion. They probably create a lot of the fake "controversy" just to get more attention. If everyone is saying how "X" is the greatest movie ever, someone who has little attention can make a splash by criticizing it. Speaking of, I didn't care about Kael's "Raising Kane". Too much hearsay, and it appeared she was on Mank's side, so I'll avoid the movie, too. I can't tell you many times I've heard Ben Mank on TCM talk about "My family" "My grandfather who wrote Citizen Kane".
Yeah, the film's interview concerning payola was what caused me to mention it. No telling what did happen (and may still happen) regards payoffs. There's certainly a matrix for it, given today's ubiquitous fake news. There do seem to be fewer heavyweight reviewers these days, or at least big names that can widely influence opinion, due to the explosion of web reviewers.

Haven't read Kael's Raising Kane, but I'd likely agree with your criticism if her position is that Mank --not Welles--wrote the screenplay. Welles certainly had his defects, but not writing Citizen Kane was not one of them...

You’re the disease, and I’m the cure.
The Transporter (2002):
Fun action movie by Cory Yuen and Louis Leterrier. This is the film that made Jason Statham a household name. Awesome fight scenes throughout. Very underrated nowadays.
8/10

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Canvas (Frank E. Abney III, 2020)
+ 6.5/10
The Row (Matty Beckerman, 2018)
5/10
Christmas Crossfire (Detlev Buck, 2020)
5.5/10
The Prom (Ryan Murphy, 2020)
- 6.5/10

Broadway stars Trent Oliver, Meryl Streep, James Corden and Nicole Kidman come to conservative America to try to help a lesbian take her date to the prom
Rent-A-Pal (Jon Stevenson, 2020)
6/10
2 Minutes of Fame (Leslie Small, 2020)
5/10
You Are My Home (Amanda Raymond, 2020)
5.5/10
Hector (Jake Gavin, 2015)
- 6.5/10

Homeless Peter Mullan (who's wonderful) talks to his brother for the first time in years one Christmas.
Fierce (Anna Wieczur-Bluszcz, 2020)
6/10
Zombie Bro (May Grehan, 2019)
4/10
Fanchon, the Cricket (James Kirkwood, 1915)
5.5/10
The Bee Gees: How Can You Mend a Broken Heart (Frank Marshall, 2020)
7/10

The Brothers Gibb saga contains plenty of personal history and songs going through many phases.
Wrath of the Titans (Jonathan Liebesman, 2012)
5/10
Angela's Christmas Wish (Damien O'Connor, 2020)
6/10
The Misogynists (Onur Tukel, 2017)
6.5/10
Eureka AKA Yurika (Shinji Aoyama, 2000)
6/10 217 min

A serial killer lives with two people he traumatized and may be acting as a role model to their cousin. Awesome beginning.
Ice Cream in the Cupboard (Drew Pollins, 2019)
5.5/10
The Battle of the Century (Clyde Bruckman, 1927)
7/10
Alms for a Blind Horse (Gurvinder Singh, 2011)
5.5/10
The Legend of Baron To'a (Kiel McNaughton, 2020)
- 6.5/10

New Zealand wrestling legend Baron To'a's son Uli Latukefu returns to his home to set things straight.

Snooze factor = Z

[Snooze Factor Ratings]:
Z = didn't nod off at all
Zz = nearly nodded off but managed to stay alert
Zzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed
Zzzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed but nodded off again at the same point and therefore needed to go back a number of times before I got through it...
Zzzzz = nodded off and missed some or the rest of the film but was not interested enough to go back over it

Bride for Rent (Filipino): 7/10

I forgot to mention the Hydra in Jason. That was a pretty sweet movie. And I don't think I've seen Captain Sindbad. I'd certainly remember Guy Williams being in it. I'll have to check it out.
I would describe Captain Sindbad as "charming", I guess. A bit more juvenile than the Harryhausens. Again, a built-in fondness for these sorts of films is key.

Was this your first viewing of Jason? The skeletons rocked my world as a kid. One of my favorite movies, despite the fact that Hercules is a flabby guy in a diaper.

The Transporter (2002):
Fun action movie by Cory Yuen and Louis Leterrier. This is the film that made Jason Statham a household name. Awesome fight scenes throughout. Very underrated nowadays.
8/10
Need to give this a rewatch one of these days. I remember thinking it was fine when I saw it back in high school, but now that I'm more familiar with Hong Kong cinema (if not necessary all that much from Yuen's filmography), I'm curious if I'll find more to enjoy.

Snooze factor = Z

[Snooze Factor Ratings]:
Z = didn't nod off at all
Zz = nearly nodded off but managed to stay alert
Zzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed
Zzzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed but nodded off again at the same point and therefore needed to go back a number of times before I got through it...
Zzzzz = nodded off and missed some or the rest of the film but was not interested enough to go back over it
loved her on The Huntsman: Winter's War

Was this your first viewing of Jason? The skeletons rocked my world as a kid. One of my favorite movies, despite the fact that Hercules is a flabby guy in a diaper.
Oh no it wasn't my first time. I remember first watching it ages ago when I was a kid too. With my grandmother of all people. We both really got into it and it turned out to be sort of a bonding experience and an actual pleasant memory.

You’re the disease, and I’m the cure.
Need to give this a rewatch one of these days. I remember thinking it was fine when I saw it back in high school, but now that I'm more familiar with Hong Kong cinema (if not necessary all that much from Yuen's filmography), I'm curious if I'll find more to enjoy.
It holds up, the fight scenes are all done for real similar to The Raid.

Geostorm

Not as bad as I thought it would be

3/5

Groundhog Day

Perfect movie

5/5
Do you know what a roller pigeon is, Barney? They climb high and fast, then roll over and fall just as fast toward the earth. There are shallow rollers and deep rollers. You can’t breed two deep rollers, or their young will roll all the way down, hit, and die. Officer Starling is a deep roller, Barney. We should hope one of her parents was not.

I... wasn't a fan of Geostorm

But I'm glad Greenland got good reviews. Good for Butler

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
First Reformed - 5/10
Ludicrous. I only give it a 5/10 because I didn't turn it off, and I do give a handicap for movies made in the last forty years.

I really liked First Reformed. I can see it being on a list of movies that define the Trump era, although I sort of wish nobody makes a such list so we can all forget about it more easily. Also, Ethan Hawke is so good in it. It is one of the best portrayals of a someone having a crisis of faith since Jason Miller in The Exorcist.

Greyhound (2020)

They don't make 'em like this anymore...At least I hope not! CR

Ugh...another assembly line movie. Reportedly funded by a big Chinese movie production company. I call it 'movie making by the numbers'. What we get is hopefully not the future of corporate film making. But I bet this trend isn't going away anytime too soon.

It's clear that much of the film has actors in front of green screens shouting out naval terms. With the main 'appeal' coming from comic book style cg war scenes and overbearing special effects with ear splitting music to make one FEEL the action.

Tom Hanks not only stars but wrote this dismal dizzy. Now I'm a big fan of Hank and thought highly of him in some of his recent films like, Bridge of Spies and Hologram for a King. But here in this 'video game' brought to the big screen there's nothing much of a performance. Though Hanks who's the captain in charge of the Naval destroyer Greyhound, plays his role like a rehash of his character from Saving Private Ryan, sans any character development or human drama.

The battle scenes are mindless and nonsensical such as the German U boat submarine that surfaces right next to the Greyhound so that it can shoot the big destroyer with their little machine guns. Ugh!

Greyhound
makes USS Indianapolis: Men of Courage look like a winner in comparison.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	253d815869790f15c8c3707df2c2681d.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	70225  

I really liked First Reformed. I can see it being on a list of movies that define the Trump era, although I sort of wish nobody makes a such list so we can all forget about it more easily. Also, Ethan Hawke is so good in it. It is one of the best portrayals of a someone having a crisis of faith since Jason Miller in The Exorcist.
I loved First Reformed as well. Actually, I would say it's one of the best films I've seen during the last 10 years. I can see why some people might be put off by it, but it worked for me like a charm.

KING OF NEW YORK (1990)
A film from the 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die list whose ranking includes the #12 (i.e. 12, 129, 912)

This film follows Frank White (Christopher Walken), a drug lord that walks out of prison only to try to reclaim his place in New York City by eliminating his rivals. Meanwhile, a team of detectives are trying to take him down.

This is one of those films that thrived on the Miami Vice-like style of the late 80s. It is full of excesses, violence, and one-liners, along with that particular "neon" look that we tend to associate with Mann's early work. But as cool as its looks are, what carries the film all through is Walken's performance as White. He walks a fine line between being coldness, coolness, and confidence, mixed with a small dose of odd, that's a treat to watch.

Unfortunately, most of the other things on the film feel kinda half-baked. From White's "Robin Hood"-like motivations which are never really explored, to the handling and portrayal of the detectives that are pursuing him. There is a significant amount of time devoted to them, but most of it is poorly executed leaving them as mere clichés (the veteran, the volatile one, the married one, the rookie one) instead of real characters. This lessens the impact of the climatic encounters between them in the second half.

Still, it was worth it only because of Walken, and it was also fun to see a couple of well-known actors in small, past roles (Laurence Fishburne, Giancarlo Esposito, Steve Buscemi, David Caruso, Wesley Snipes).

Grade:

I'm pretty meh on King of New York as well. I have a sneaking suspicion that Abel Ferrara got a man crush on Christopher Walken and decided to make the movie about how cool he is and how unique he looks since almost everything else in the movie - especially that Children's Hospital subplot - seems like an afterthought. Case in point: take the scene where he's staring out the Limousine window while the streetlights shine on his face. I mean, it looks cool, but what's the purpose other than to point out that Walken has unique bone structure? If it's there to show how much the city has changed since he was in prison, it overstays its welcome and then some.

Ferrera redeemed himself with Bad Lieutenant, though, which is a classic.