Should films just do away with the unnecessary romance sub-plot ?

Tools    

I’m not talking about a movie that is fundamentally about the romance or a movie in which it is integrated into the plot in an essential way but the romance sub-plot in a movie that is not about romance at all.

I believe the critic Lindsay Ellis described the phenomenon as a ‘breeding pair’.

You see it in a lot of movies, the girlfriend character who exists solely for romance (not necessarily eye-candy).

I have always felt that it is the weakest element in movies today. It wastes important time that could be used to develop the main story. I do not want the detour of the character spending a few scenes with his girlfriend. Sometimes it is completely outside the tone of the movie. Did Mad Max fury road really need or want that whole romance sub-plot. Hell to the no.

It seems like one of the earliest tropes. The character always has a girlfriend to kiss in the final scene or something or other along those lines. I guess this isn’t exclusive to movies but it is something I have always found weird.

I have always felt that if all films eliminated stiuff like this it would make them better.

Welcome to the human race...
I would contend that Fury Road actually justifies its romantic sub-plot - assuming that's in reference to the one between Nux and Capable, it at least functions as a means of shoring up the former's own arc that sees him truly break away from the cult of Immortan Joe and fight for a worthy cause. If anything, Fury Road manages one of the more efficient examples of such a sub-plot (even an action movie as relentless as it is needs to give its characters and story some time to breathe), especially if the film as a whole is actively trying to address gender politics through its various male and female characters and a protagonist like Max is defined by his status as a perpetual loner. I won't deny that there are unnecessary examples of such sub-plots, but you really have to think hard about what you would define as necessary or unnecessary.

See also the Bechdel Test. The problem isn't just the ubiquity of the love interest but that the female characters are usually so one-dimensional and only serve as a function of the plot rather than as interesting characters.

Most movies are just lazy and poorly written, in general. One can focus on how hollow the love story aspect seems but you shouldn't ignore how incredible routine the rest of the plot and action usually are, too.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

See also the Bechdel Test. The problem isn't just the ubiquity of the love interest but that the female characters are usually so one-dimensional and only serve as a function of the plot rather than as interesting characters.

Most movies are just lazy and poorly written, in general. One can focus on how hollow the love story aspect seems but you shouldn't ignore how incredible routine the rest of the plot and action usually are, too.
Something I’ve wondered for years is whether the increase in number of wlw relationships in television the last few years was a shortcut method to meeting the bechdel test.

Yeah, I mean the Bechdel Test is kinda easy to circumvent, I kind of assume (intentionally or not) it's one of those things that exists to make a point and reorient thinking a little to look for those kinds of things, even if it ends up being pretty obtuse if just applied literally or rotely. My wife and I jokingly say "passed the Bechdel Test!" to each other in lots of movies where passing it clearly hasn't established any real thoughtfulness or depth in the female characters. I'd say it's one of those necessary-but-not-sufficient conditions, but I'm not sure it's either.

To the OP, though: yes, obligatory love interests are dumb and more films should do away with them altogether.

But if they were dumped why would women bother going to films which aren't romances?

This is essentially the thinking of the execs. This and so people don't think two male characters are homosexuals.

Yeah, I mean the Bechdel Test is kinda easy to circumvent, I kind of assume (intentionally or not) it's one of those things that exists to make a point and reorient thinking a little to look for those kinds of things, even if it ends up being pretty obtuse if just applied literally or rotely. My wife and I jokingly say "passed the Bechdel Test!" to each other in lots of movies where passing it clearly hasn't established any real thoughtfulness or depth in the female characters. I'd say it's one of those necessary-but-not-sufficient conditions, but I'm not sure it's either.
Agreed. I mean, technically "Baby Got Back" passes the test, since you have Becky and the other girl talking about some other girl's butt; wow, what a Feminist anthem!

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Sometimes a cute romance subplot makes some audience members melt.

Guilty!

But seriously, it's rarely done well when it's just a subplot. It doesn't bother me as much as a mandatory and oh-so unnecessary sex scene.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.