The MoFo Top 100 Westerns: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Dances With Wolves
I'll guess this tribe didn't last too long, if they weren't bright enough to realize that if they didn't hit the guy in the center, their shot would kill the Indian opposite them in the circle...

I movie I enjoyed but didn’t quite understand the love for. Almost made my list but got removed last minute.

Seen: 35/95
- Slow West (#95)
- The Big Gundown (#85)
- The Furies (#84)
- The Gold Rush (#78)
- The Shooting (#71)
- The Grey Fox (#66)
- The Great Train Robbery (#60)
- Meek’s Cutoff (#58)
- Red River (#56)
- Bone Tomahawk (#54)
- The Cowboys (#50)
- Rango (#41)
- The Gunfighter (#40)
- Open Range (#36)
- Hell or High Water (#35)
- The Great Silence (#34)
- The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (#33)
- Johnny Guitar (#30)
- Tombstone (#28)
- The Revenant (#25)
- Stagecoach (#23)
- True Grit (#22)
- Blazing Saddles (#21)
- The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (#20)
- The Ox-Bow Incident (#19)
- For a Few Dollars More (#18)
- McCabe and Mrs. Miller (#17)
- A Fistful of Dollars (#16)
- The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (#15)
- There Will be Blood (#14)
- Django Unchained (#12)
- The Hateful Eight (#11)
- Rio Bravo (#10)
- The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (#8)
- High Noon (#6)

My list:
1. There Will be Blood
5. The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
6. The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
7. McCabe and Mrs. Miller
8. Blazing Saddles
10. Rio Bravo
11. For a Few Dollars More
12. Johnny Guitar
13. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
14. Hell or High Water
16. The Revenant
17. The Lone Ranger
18. A Fistful of Dollars
19. Red River
20. The Gunfighter
21. Bone Tomahawk
22. The Hateful Eight
23. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
24. Stagecoach
25. Django Unchained

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
6?

Typed a whole psychoanalytical rant about honourable men and high noon not making the top 5 being a sign of the times but I backspaced it all.. High Noon is my #2, it's perfect.

Seen list 64/95

My ballot 20/25:
  1. .............
  2. High Noon 1952
  3. ..............
  4. Jeremiah Johnson 1972
  5. ...............
  6. ...............
  7. One-Eyed Jacks 1961
  8. The Gunfighter 1950
  9. Rio Bravo 1959
  10. The Outlaw Josey Wales 1976
  11. Young Guns 1988
  12. Tombstone 1993
  13. My Name Is Nobody 1973
  14. Dances with Wolves 1990
  15. The Big Country 1958
  16. The Ox-Bow Incident 1943
  17. Hell or High Water 2016
  18. Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid 1973
  19. The Hateful Eight 2015
  20. McCabe & Mrs. Miller 1971
  21. The Mercenary 1968
  22. The Great Silence 1968
  23. The Wild Bunch 1969
  24. Dead Man 1995
  25. - 0%
LOL
I think that says it far better

High Noon made my list at #8

High Noon

Martin: People gotta talk themselves into law and order before they do anything about it. Maybe because down deep they don't care. They just don't care.

SOME SPOILERS

Even if I didn't know just how much of an iconic Western this is, I would have known I was in for a great western when I saw Lee Van Cleef, staring, steely-eyed, perched on a boulder in the opening scene.
And apparently, this was his debut film without a single word to say and with his presence, there was no need for words anyway.

As I've stated, this is an iconic western and one that took FAR TOO LONG for me to finally watch.
With its allegories toward the Blacklisting of Hollywood alleged Communists, it hits even deeper since the writer, Carl Foreman, was one of the great talents that fell prey to this witch hunt.
Our Marshall, played as only Gary Cooper can, has just been married to Grace Kelly's character when three outlaws ride into town to await the arrival of the noon train and the murderer that as just been released from prison that is on it. A murderer that Gary Cooper's Marshall Kane arrested, years before. All of them are intent to gun the now-retired Marshall down.
At first, the townsfolk do their best to get him out of town.
Not for his benefit, but for the town's in hope for a cease gunfire for the men who once called the town their home when it was a more lawless locale before Cooper's Marshall cleaned it up.
Set in nearly real-time, we see Marshall Kane attempt to gather a posse to face off the men but is basically left dangling in the wind. By so-called friends and neighbors who owe him a safe town to raise families in. Some do it out of cowardice, and there are some who are ready to welcome the murderer, Frank Miller into town and are happy to see the Marshall get his.

Excellent fodder for the premise of this film.

AND with a great supporting cast.
Along with Cleef, there's Lloyd Bridges as the Deputy Sheriff who's petty selfishness leaves his boss facing the outlaws on his own. (When I first saw him, looking out the window at the three men riding in, I couldn't help but think of Airplane and the line, "Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.").
There's also Lon Chaney Jr, playing an older friend who is too tired and too old to help. I used one of his quotes in the beginning of this review. Harry Morgan is also in this as a friend who can't even face Kane to tell him he won't help. And, finally, there's a cameo by Jack Elam who I've known in his later years as a grizzled, oddball character in various roles.
All of them and those of lesser roles do great, one of which, I absolutely loved, played the tough, sultry Helen Ramirez, Katy Jurado.

Movies Watched 69 out of 95 (72.63%)

John Wayne Films: Five
Clint Eastwood Films: One

MY LIST

1. Will Make it
2. Open Range (#36)
3. The Wild Bunch (#9)
4. Dances With Wolves (#7)
5. Will Make it
6. Ride The High Country (#63)
7. The Proposition (#46)
8. High Noon (#6)
9. Won't Make It
10. The Cowboys (#50)
11. The Grey Fox (#66)
12. The Great Silence (#34)
13. The Gunfighter (#40)
14. 3:10 To Yuma '07 (#29)
15. Oxbow Incident (#19)
16. Rio Bravo (#10)
17. True Grit '10 (#22)
18. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (#8)
19. The Quick & The Dead (#42)
20. High Plains Drifter (#31)
21. Might Not Make it
22. The Big Country (#27)
23. Stagecoach (#23)
24. Red River (#56)
25. Dirty Little Billy (#108)

Rectification List (for my own old decrepit noodle)
1. Warlock (#94)
2. Naked Spur (#86)
3. The Great Train Robbery (#60)
4. Winchester '73 (#53)
5. 3:10 To Yuma ['57] (#48)
6. Jeremiah Johnson (#37)[/quote]

Wanted to toss in my #9 that won't be making it. It's also my third Ford Western, which, in regards to Directors was the highest number from one specific Director:

3 Bad Men

Meek Eastern dude: I've just reached manhood.
Mike Costigan: [Sarcastically] Then you better reach again.

This was quite the excellent Western as befitting a John Ford film and plays out as a glimpse to what was to come from this man in regards to iconic backdrops for in-depth characters and story lines. Along with the marriage of comedy and drama where each is enhanced by the other.
What is also noted is quite a number of aspects that can be seen repeated upon to this very day.
WARNING: "Such as" spoilers below
J. Farrell MacDonald's Mike Costigan's bravado in his final moments within the gun powder shed, cleverly taking out a decent amount of guys along with himself.

Played against a grand tapestry of a Government-authorized Land Grab for Gold infested land snatched away from Native Americans we watch as three no-goodniks find redemption, and for one, revenge against a corrupt sheriff and his posse. All the while sprinkling a bit of Ford's patriotic simple folk nobility and aesthetics about finding real gold in farming and the more simpler, honest trades.

Like many of Ford's main characters, they are rough, not so honest men, but with honorable hearts that live outside society's duplicity.

Also, I must state that the copy I found on youtube also had an apt Old Time Western soundtrack that was very ideal.

Movies Watched 69 out of 95 (72.63%)

John Wayne Films: Five
Clint Eastwood Films: One

MY LIST

1. Will Make it
2. Open Range (#36)
3. The Wild Bunch (#9)
4. Dances With Wolves (#7)
5. Will Make it
6. Ride The High Country (#63)
7. The Proposition (#46)
8. High Noon (#6)
9. 3 Bad Men (Tumbleweed fodder)
10. The Cowboys (#50)
11. The Grey Fox (#66)
12. The Great Silence (#34)
13. The Gunfighter (#40)
14. 3:10 To Yuma '07 (#29)
15. Oxbow Incident (#19)
16. Rio Bravo (#10)
17. True Grit '10 (#22)
18. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (#8)
19. The Quick & The Dead (#42)
20. High Plains Drifter (#31)
21. Might Not Make it
22. The Big Country (#27)
23. Stagecoach (#23)
24. Red River (#56)
25. Dirty Little Billy (#108)

Rectification List (for my own old decrepit noodle)
1. Warlock (#94)
2. Naked Spur (#86)
3. The Great Train Robbery (#60)
4. Winchester '73 (#53)
5. 3:10 To Yuma ['57] (#48)
6. Jeremiah Johnson (#37)[/quote][/quote]

9. 3 Bad Men (Tumbleweed fodder)

Way out west there was this fella... fella I wanna tell ya about. Fella by the name of Jeff Lebowski. At least that was the handle his loving parents gave him, but he never had much use for it himself. Mr. Lebowski, he called himself "The Dude".

Now, "Dude" - that's a name no one would self-apply where I come from. But then there was a lot about the Dude that didn't make a whole lot of sense. And a lot about where he lived, likewise. But then again, maybe that's why I found the place so darned interestin'.

They call Los Angeles the "City Of Angels." I didn't find it to be that, exactly. But I'll allow there are some nice folks there.

'Course I can't say I've seen London, and I ain't never been to France. And I ain't never seen no queen in her damned undies, so the feller says. But I'll tell you what - after seeing Los Angeles, and this here story I'm about to unfold, well, I guess I seen somethin' every bit as stupefyin' as you'd see in any of them other places. And in English, too.
So I can die with a smile on my face, without feelin' like the good Lord gypped me. Now this here story I'm about to unfold took place back in the early '90s - just about the time of our conflict with Sad'm and the I-raqis. I only mention it because sometimes there's a man... I won't say a hero, 'cause, what's a hero?

But sometimes, there's a man. And I'm talkin' about the Dude here.

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there.

And that's the Dude, in Los Angeles.

And even if he's a lazy man - and the Dude was most certainly that. Quite possibly the laziest in Los Angeles County, which would place him high in the runnin' for laziest worldwide. But sometimes there's a man, sometimes, there's a man. Aw. I lost my train of thought here. But... aw, hell. I've done introduced him enough.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

“What do you want me to do, draw you a picture? Spell it out!?! Don't ever ask me! Long as you live, don't ever ask me more!”

The Searchers is John Ford’s fifth and final entry on the countdown (#59 She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, #44 My Darling Clementine, #23 Stagecoach, #8 The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance) and the twelfth and final entry starring John “Duke” Wayne. The film opens with Wayne’s Ethan Edwards returning home to his sister’s spread on the wilds of the Texas territory, having fought in the Civil War and down in Mexico. He hasn’t been home long when he joins a posse of ranchers and Texas Rangers, led by Ward Bond’s Reverend, to recover stolen cattle. The rustling turns out to be mostly a ruse to draw the men away. When they return they find Ethan’s family slaughtered and the house burned to the ground by the Comanche, who have also abducted Ethan’s nieces Lucy, recently engaged to be married, and little Debbie who is a pre-teen. After quick funerals the Comanche are pursued, but after being surrounded the posse barely survives the attack without saving either girl. Ethan, Martin (Jeffrey Hunter) who was adopted by the Edwards, and Brad (Harry Carey Jr.) who was engaged to Lucy, resume the search. Lucy is found dead, raped and brutalized, and Brad dies recklessly trying to avenge her. Which leaves only Ethan and Martin to search for Debbie and the Comanche responsible. They search for five years before finding them and they see Debbie, now a teenager, has been raised as a Comanche. Will these bad Comanches be made to pay? Will Ethan rescue Debbie or is she too far gone?

There are subplots about Laurie (Vera Miles) being in love with Martin but entertaining another suitor because he is gone for so long, an accidental marriage to a squaw, and the double crossing by and murder of a merchant who sells them information on Debbie’s location. Although it only runs two hours and spends much of the time with two men alone in the wilderness The Searchers feels like an epic. Filmed once again around Monument Ford tackles themes of revenge, obsession, loss and forgiveness. It is widely regarded as a John Ford masterpiece and MoFo voters agreed. With a 59-point jump over High Noon and finishing four points shy of 600, The Searchers was on thirty-seven ballots including one first place, five second, four third, three fourth, three sixth, a seventh, an eighth, four ninth, and one tenth place.

The Sons of Katie Elder, North to Alaska, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, The Shootist, Red River, The Cowboys, El Dorado, True Grit, Stagecoach, Rio
Bravo, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, The Searchers, Two Mules for Sister Sara, Pale Rider, High Plains Drifter, For a Few Dollars More,
A Fistful of Dollars
and The Outlaw Josey Wales

*this was the last time anybody tried to look Butch wearing a red checkered shirt

I don’t care much for The Searchers and probably never will. It certainly wasn't on my ballot. To me if Wayne’s rage and hatred becomes so nihilistic and ugly that at the end he kills Natalie Wood, which may in turn necessitate Jeffrey Hunter killing him, to me THAT would have been a radical, powerful statement about the hollowness of revenge and the cost of racism and obsession, especially in 1956. Ethan Edwards’ complete 180 degree turn there at the end, I just don’t buy it. However the VistaVision cinematography by Winton C. Hoch is rather wonderful. He also lensed 3 Godfathers, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, and The Quiet Man for Ford and The Green Berets and Jet Pilot with Wayne. I have seen The Searchers a couple times on the big screen primarily to enjoy the visuals.

And now my #2 shows up.
Two more of mine to come, along with the biggest brain fart of all

Seen: 60/96
My list:  

Faildictions (yee-haw version 1.12):
4. The Return Of Draw Egan

The Searchers was my #16
I'd forgotten I had it on my list tbh

It's another Wayne movie that's remarkably good.
I always felt though that the passage of time in the film wasn't executed brilliantly though.

01. Young Guns (1988) --- 61st
02. There Will Be Blood (2007) --- 14th
04. The Hateful Eight (2015) --- 11th
05. Dances With Wolves (1990) --- 7th
06. The Cowboys (1972) --- 50th
07. Django Unchained (2012) --- 12th
08. True Grit (2010) --- 22nd
09. True Grit (1969) --- 38th
10. The Quick And The Dead (1995) --- 42nd
11. The Sons Of Katie Elder (1965) --- 100th
13. Wyatt Earp (1994) --- 110th (Holden posted a list of 101-110)
15. The Magnificent Seven (1960) --- 24th
16. The Searchers (1956) --- 5th
18. Westworld (1973) --- 69th
19. Pat Garrett And Billy The Kid (1973) --- 67th
20. 3:10 To Yuma (1957) --- 48th
21. Tombstone (1993) --- 28th
23. The Big Country (1958) --- 27th